The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
smellypooper

Try To Find Inconsistencies Or Errors In What Sheldon Says..

As BBT is usually very careful making sure things referenced on the show are accurate, especially when said by Sheldon, I wanted to start this thread for anyone who can find any inconsistencies or outright errors with anything Sheldon (or any other character) says.

Ill start off with an example I discovered the other day.

In S07E02 "The Boyfriend Complexity" Sheldon suggests to Penny that “with your Italian pizza and my Chinese noodles we could play Marco Polo." Marco Polo died in 1324. In S04E09 "The Deception Verification" while arguing with the pizza delivery man about walking up the stairs he states that “pizza dates back to the 16th century”. Therefore Marco Polo had already been dead for some 200 years before pizza was invented.  

I am not trying to poke holes in or in any way diminish the show. I love BBT and Sheldon is my favourite character, I consider this an homage to Dr Cooper as I'm sure this is the kind of thing he would be correcting in his own beautifully condescending way.

• Like 1

He wasn't referring to Marco Polo having anything to do with pizza. He was talking about mixing Italian and Chinese cuisine.

Marco Polo being an Italian explorer or trader who went to China.

It's not an error.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 3

Not so much 'says'; but 'does'...I found it strange that, given his care over things microbiological, he thought it OK to pop a small toy train into his mouth - not sure of the episode around series 5.

• Like 3

Not so much 'says'; but 'does'...I found it strange that, given his care over things microbiological, he thought it OK to pop a small toy train into his mouth - not sure of the episode around series 5.

If it's his train, and his love of trains is huge, then it's his choice what to do with it. And who knows, he may have disinfected it beforehand or whatever. It amazes me that people still get hung up on that one little thing.

It's true that there are little inconsistencies that are due to the writers going for the comedic value of a moment, even of it means bending some parameters, but I think that the characterizations are overall very consistent.

yes, it bothered me too.... 

• Like 1

One big inconsistency is his spot. I know there have been many times where he has allowed someone in his spot and not acknowledged it. I watched an episode recently and for the life of me forget ehat it was but he spent much of it on the left cusion. He also chose an office chair to the left of the couch during the physics bowl episode but this was probably to simulate the quiz environment. At the end of this episode when being quizzed Leonard is in his spot and he takes the armchair.

Anyone think of any others?

In S1 L is depressed over P (of course) and buys some cat related products. He says to S something like "Don'y worry I've taken your asthma into account". Turns out later that it is L who has the asthma. BTW, S popping that train into his mouth was totally inconsistent with his various phobias.

• Like 1

If it's his train, and his love of trains is huge, then it's his choice what to do with it. And who knows, he may have disinfected it beforehand or whatever. It amazes me that people still get hung up on that one little thing.

It's true that there are little inconsistencies that are due to the writers going for the comedic value of a moment, even of it means bending some parameters, but I think that the characterizations are overall very consistent.

I hardly think anyone is "hung up" on those things... this thread was about pointing out things we find inconsistent , so obviously one would point out the things they find inconsistent....

Sheldon putting a train in his mouth easily stands out because that was very odd as he is highly germaphobic...  out of character...

• Like 2

The one that always got me was when Raj starts working with/for Sheldon and they're arguing and Raj says "if we were having this argument in my native language, I'd be kicking your ass". Sheldon replies that it is in his native language. Raj should've pointed out that as someone who was born in New Delhi, his native language is Hindu rather than English. So his point stands.

The one that always got me was when Raj starts working with/for Sheldon and they're arguing and Raj says "if we were having this argument in my native language, I'd be kicking your ass". Sheldon replies that it is in his native language. Raj should've pointed out that as someone who was born in New Delhi, his native language is Hindu rather than English. So his point stands.

Its Hindi :)

Maybe Raj is born in England too, but moved to India at a young age, just like Kunal did.

Edited by Chiany

Maybe Raj is born in England too, but moved to India at a young age, just like Kunal did.

He said he's from New Delhi :p

edit:

oh never mind. that could be possible i guess.

Edited by bigbangsheldon

Although the majority of the series is written by Chuck Lorre, Bill Prady & Steven Molaro (the 3 head writers), often a lot of other writers work on the show and are most unlikely unaware of the inconsistencies. Of course, the head writers will oversee or review it, but I don't think they have the time to check and look over every mistake.

Some of these inconsistencies are several seasons apart and they probably can't remember. Besides, most of these inconsistencies are very minor anyway.

When calculating Penny's sexual partners (when she drove him and Amy to their first date) he didn't factor in that she was in a commited relationship for a couple of years with Kurt, which he knew about.

One similar point that I noticed in watching the old shows on TBS is the number of errors Shelton  ( who touts himself as an intellect  apart from all others) has made that have been caught by others. I recall Leslie changing his board when she stayed over with L because of an error, Raj finding one when they worked together, the  young  Korean boy pointing out something on his board in his office, S. Hawkins finding an error in his paper, Shelton making an error in the Physics bowl and the most recent one when L. contradicts Shelton's findings.  Odd that there are so many

One similar point that I noticed in watching the old shows on TBS is the number of errors Shelton  ( who touts himself as an intellect  apart from all others) has made that have been caught by others.

But that's the point Sheldon isn't as smart as he thinks he is, there's also the episode "The Cooper/Kripke Inversion" where they exchange papers and Sheldon realises Kripke's paper is much more advanced than his.

I don't agree that Sheldon is as humor-impaired as he was made out to be in The Hesitation Ramification with his overly literal interpretations of the guys' jokes. Sheldon's understood and responded to humor before. Remember all the quips they made when Howard's space toilet malfunctioned? Sheldon clearly got them and even made the comment about there not being a law of diminishing returns on jokes about space poop, which indicates to me that he was amused by the whole thing.

And, yes, I know the episode was more about him trying to learn HOW to be funny, but there at the beginning he was, I thought, uncharacteristically befuzzled about Howard's joke.

And what about his inimitable use of the Bazinga? I always took that to be his humorous way of negating what he'd just said previously, usually at someone's expense. He seemed to understand the comedic value of the "gotcha." Even though, I grant you, that he was more than likely the only one amused by its use.

I particularly noticed when L is constantly having to remind S when sarcasm is being used, yet S used sarcasm constantly when expressing his displeasure on any topic.

Not a big one but one I noticed is in the Cooper Extraction and I think one other episode Sheldon says "I have 2 PhDs" and in other episodes he has a PhD and a ScD

Not a big one but one I noticed is in the Cooper Extraction and I think one other episode Sheldon says "I have 2 PhDs" and in other episodes he has a PhD and a ScD

He might have been referring to the fact that he has two doctorates, but who knows. As you say, a minor inconsistency.

Perhaps Sheldon was referring to the fact that English is one of the official languages of India, along with Hindi. Still, Raj's point probably still stands.

Another maths error, in the Luminous Fish episode, Sheldon calculates that Penny's car weighs 4000lbs, then 140lbs for himself and, after a little wrangling, 120lbs for Penny. This adds up to 4260lbs but he rounds it up to 4400lbs (is there a body in the boot?).

Series 06 Episode 08 – The 43 Peculiarity.

Sheldon to Leonard "Well, if we assume your looks are average, yeah, right off the bat, fifty percent of men on Earth are more attractive than you".

The above statement is mathematically incorrect. The writers have confused average with median.

6 hours ago, RedV1 said:

Series 06 Episode 08 – The 43 Peculiarity.

Sheldon to Leonard "Well, if we assume your looks are average, yeah, right off the bat, fifty percent of men on Earth are more attractive than you".

The above statement is mathematically incorrect. The writers have confused average with median.

Or were assuming normal distribution

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, bfm said:

Or were assuming normal distribution

Adding to this: How accurate or inaccurate was Sheldons calculations about Penny on how many men she slept with in Season 4, episode 1?  Since I am not a mathematician I wonder if this is correct.....which I doubt