The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Heidelbergensis

Unrealistic Portrayal Of Women (Women Don't Like Skinny Loser Beta Males)

This show is hilariously, ridiculously inaccurate in regards to the rules of attraction.

While looks aren't everything, it's sickening that hot women are fawning over super skinny, dorky losers who have no game and no confidence. This doesn't happen in real life. Sheldon is ridiculously skinny and anti social, and is definitely not attractive to most women. Same with the rest of the cast. What fantasy world does this show take place in, where gorgeous blonds are competing for the affection of these skinny loser beta males?
I thinks it's condescending to women to portray this. The male equivalent of this happening would be like Ryan Reynolds or Hugh Jackman fervently competing for the affection of frumpy, plain, or fat women. It just doesn't happen.

Not only that, but women seem to be a central theme in this show. It seems like there's always a beautiful girl involved with these losers, it's not just a few episodes; it's the majority.

It would be one thing it they simply just looked like skinny losers, but made up for it with an amazing, witty personality, but that isn't the case. They're absolutely anti social and offensively bad at female interaction. This is spreading the message that super skinny losers who would choose a Star Trek marathon over a smoking hot blond, have a very good chance of being in a meaningful relationship with said hot women.
News flash: skinny and short, awkward Beta Males are as unattractive to women, as super obese women are to men. Would you find a show about Hugh Jackman who actively courts Rebel Wilson to be an accurate portrayal of our society today? Of course not, and yet that's exactly what is happening on the Big Bang theory, and it's almost sickening.
Not only that, but most of the guys, Sheldon in particular, are very brittle and abrasive, condescending and rude to most women on the show, or at best, spineless and have the behavior associated with a beta male who has zero game in regards to female interaction.
If this were the real world, women would want nothing to do with these skinny. This show is offensively bad in regards to showing the exact opposite. These losers are almost portrayed as God's gift to Women. These adorable chicks wouldn't be spending tine with these losers, and certainly wouldn't be interested in them romantically.
This show can't go off the air fast enough.

Cliff notes:
Skinny = unattractive, especially to hot blonds who could have any man in the world
Abrasive,rude and Brittle personalities = unattractive
Choosing video games and Star Trek over hot women = MAJOR TURN OFF

This show is completely out of touch with how geeks really are. Terrible, tacky, unrealistic show that needs to die.

• Like 1

Another drive-by ranting? Whatever.

There are no rules about who will be attracted to whom, and especially for women, who operate differently from men. If you look around you in real life there are lots of couples where one or the other is "hot" and the other is ordinary or even unattractive.

And the characters are not rude and abrasive to women. You've obviously been watching the show through some twisted filter of your own. If the show were that off-putting, it wouldn't have 20 million viewers.

Though we may all be attracted to the good-looking around us, relationships are built on more than that.

I don't know what your issue is, but it sounds like you've got some personal chip on your shoulder about it. Sorry, but this show ain't going off the air any time soon.

• Like 6

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

by the OP's standards, unattractive people wouldn't reproduce then... but when looking at the street, I see nothing but ugly people :laugh:

Just Kidding...

Who made the OP the attractive police anyway? :shout:

OP, just go back to watching the CW with all of it's supermodel parents to supermodel children, who wake up in professional makeup and their hair is never undone cos apparently that is "most realistic" to you.

or maybe it is and I just live in the ugly people part of town? :laugh:

• Like 3

I love rants like this, another human being I can ignore :D

It's even more fun if they are so wrong.

• Like 1

I'll be a hog monkeys uncle...

I don't agree with the bulk of the OP but I can see a kernel of what their point is. One of my main problems with the show is the main characters are portrayed as geeky, socially awkward and in the case of Sheldon incredibly egocentric. So it doesn't fit well when Howard and Leonard are doing so well with the girls (as the show progressed) and Howard is able to convince a beautiful and successful lady to marry him. Leonard is able to convince a gorgeous woman to date him. I would like to think this is the show hinting that these four guys have a lot to offer (they aren't losers...btw did you get your PHD at 20?) and sometimes a pretty woman can be trusted to look deep enough to see it.

So on one hand I'd like to see better balance and in general, you are right, the four main characters are not conventially what is considered attractive, but on the other hand people find all sorts of different things attractive.

I feel they do show the guys getting rejected by shallow women a fair deal actually. Not all women are shallow though. Penny is different, she ended up in a fight with the girl upstairs who was planning to take advantage of her friend's unworldliness. Bernadette and Howard are soul mates, and she's a not conventional women either (she struggles with humour and has a rather suspect moral code when it comes to her research). Amy, as mentioned elsewhere, fits the description of a Sapiosexual.

This is a sitcom, not real life. In real life, for example, a good-looking guy like Rajesh would be snapped up. He's handsome, a Doctor, handsome, 'Richie-Rich' rich, handsome, in touch with his feminine side, handsome, extremely intelligent, handsome, creative, and did I mention handsome? Now he's overcome his mutism he should be fighting them off, that'd be realistic.

What fantasy world does this show take place in, where gorgeous blonds are competing for the affection of these skinny loser beta males?

I thinks it's condescending to women to portray this. The male equivalent of this happening would be like Ryan Reynolds or Hugh Jackman fervently competing for the affection of frumpy, plain, or fat women. It just doesn't happen.

Really that is what you think is condescending to women?? That despite that they are smocking hot they are stuck with the losers(amen to Thefeynman's PhD comment!! I mean come on..)??? Well I don't know your gender and up to now never cared to find that out about a member but I guess I am a little curious about you. I mean as a woman I'll say what I find condescending is the notion that there are categories like ''hot blonds'' and ''frumpy,plain,fat'' women. Well, imagine that women just like men are so much more than their looks!!! And there are attracrive people that like unattractive people(whatever that means to anyone)!!! I mean is there a rule or something??

It would be one thing it they simply just looked like skinny losers, but made up for it with an amazing, witty personality, but that isn't the case.

So this is how it goes. Skinny losers or jerks but not both at the same time. That painfully implies gorgeous jackasses are on limits just because they are gorgeous. Or it could just be me I really don't know what to think!!

And what hot blonds mean exactly?? Haven't they got names,personalities or just a little depth??? Cannot they love someone for a reason besides their looks???

As a woman I am not really offended by TBBT but I am by this comment.

Calm down everyone, isn't it obvious that the OP is just Kurt and he's just pissed at how things turned out. He would have said something earlier, but it's taken him this long to find the forum.

• Like 6

Calm down everyone, isn't it obvious that the OP is just Kurt and he's just pissed at how things turned out. He would have said something earlier, but it's taken him this long to find the forum.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I actually thought about Kurt when I was writing that gorgeous jackasses. Not that I ever found Kurt gorgeous. Not really my type. :fie:

Ah, social conditioning is enforced by the media from the cradle, Disney Princesses anyone?

Saw a fantastic play a while back called Fat Pig which starred Robert Webb as a man happilly dating a plus-sized lady (Ella Smith) who is bullied into dumping her by his work colleague (Kris Marshall) and ex-girlfriend (Joanna Page) because, and I'm paraphrasing here, it was a while ago, "you're a good looking guy, she should be going out with someone fat, or ugly, or at least bald".

Try not to buy the hype.

Edited to add: Kurt would think Penny was dating Leonard in order to get back at him would he not.

Edited by AThingOfBeauty

Edited to add: Kurt would think Penny was dating Leonard in order to get back at him would he not.

Probably, but I just couldn't get over how similar some of the OPs comments were to some comments by Kurt.

I'm not Sure who this Kurt character is, but it isn't me.

I literally googled "Big Bang theory forums" and this was the first match.

Basically I just wanted to rant. Of course the post isn't completely serious, but I do have some valid points.

I don't watch the show, or any TV for that matter, but whenever I catch this show, it's on the TVs at my Gym.

As far as myself, no, I'm not jealous or petty. I am a very good looking guy. I am white, 6'0 tall, 176 Lbs, 25 years old with good muscle tone, blond hair and light blue eyes. I get many looks from attractive girls all the time, I'm not concerned with my personal attraction level, as I am very lucky to be good looking and I built my body up with hard work and by doing the Paleo diet since last April.

Just because I point out what I did in this thread, does not mean I'm ugly or insecure. My personal looks do not influence my disdain for the way this show portrays laws of attraction.

The only reason I even posted here was because reruns of this show play on the TVs at my gym like everyday. When I'm doing cardio, it's either that or sportscenter, and I care not for sports. So I usually get short glimpses of this show, and sure enough, super, ridiculous hot women are all over these guys.

And when I mean "losers" I only mean that in regards to having game with women. I don't mean losers as in being unsuccessful and still living at home, they're losers in the sense of how successful they would actually be in the 20 something dating world.

My best friend is very smart and educated, very interesting personality. And whenever we go out, I always receive more female admiration because of how he looks. He is skinny, pale, but not bad looking, like the guys on the show. He has a master's degree in journalism, but that does very little for most 20-something women. He has to date older women almost exclusively, and usually throughonline dating, because of how he looks (skinny and pale, yet smart and with a degree) because the hot blonds around our age are more interested in muscles than degrees (based on what I've observed anyway)

*sorry if this double posts* mobile browser is acting strange

If an admin can, I would appreciate my other copy of this post me removed, as it was incomplete

i just cant believe people can get so worked up over as tv show, IT'S NOT REAL!!

if you don't like what your watching, then don't watch it.

Edited by funbus

oh, now I get it. PO is part of the arian race, far superior to all others, and hot women are only attracted to his type. that explains it. I am really surpised that he stoops to associating with someone like his best friend.

I'd day if he had watched the show, he would understand why Penny gave up on men like Zakk and took a chance on Leonard.

Edited by Brave Dave
  • Like 1

Trust me, only seeing a few tiny snippets of a show and going onto a forum for it and ranting about how bad it is just asking to get your butt kicked online. Of course everyone is going to know a hell of a lot more than you (I mean it's a fan forum for pete's sake) and will find your arguments completely mis-informed and ridiculous. I suggest you watch the whole series first before you decide how unrealistic it is and if you still find it so, at least your argument will have a little more substance and you'll actually be able to have a proper debate without people thinking you're an idiot.

Also, a man thinking he can define the entire female sexuality in one sentence (especially at a level as simplistic and shallow as this) is a tad sexist. I'm sorry that your experience with women has not been a very varied one and it has meant you haven't come across the types of ladies that would be attracted to these guys.

I also congratulate you for your stunning good looks and how they have helped you put your feet into the shoes of these fine gentlemen (sarcasm).

Edited by Razberrypie
  • Like 3

People, why are you giving this... person... any attention whatsoever? He's a troll, and an ignorant one at that. Let him take his perfectly sculpted Aryan body back to his gym and pump himself. He's not going to get it, and with his Neanderthal view of men and women, he never will.

I repeat what I said above: Please. Do. Not. Feed. The. Troll.

• Like 2

Also, a man thinking he can define the entire female sexuality in one sentence (especially at a level as simplistic and shallow as this) is a tad sexist. I'm sorry that your experience with women has not been a very varied one and it has meant you haven't come across the types of ladies that would be attracted to these guys.

Amen to that!!!! Like really I HAVE TO like or dislike someone because I am a female(does it matter if I am good looking or not or this only has do to do with the kind of people that are allowed to like me- so confusing!!!)

And I insist it isn't condescending to women that they would date unattractive(at least by society's standards I guess) because they realized that they are caring and smart and funny. I judge no one and it is perfectly understandable if one is attracted at someone because of their physical appearance but I have to admit that I am extremely proud of my female friends that they care about character and brightness and humor before that!! You can be interested just on someone's looks for so long. You need more to keep you with someone. And I will say it again. It is offending that you make women look so shallow and lacking depth. I assure you beautiful young women do care about other things and actually create relationships with not so attractive men.

• Like 1

I'm not Sure who this Kurt character is, but it isn't me.

He's a character on the show who is good looking, good muscular tone about 6'3"…and is a complete jerk and asshole who cheated on one of those hot girls. He also is condescending and your comments over your two posts are almost identical to some of his dialogue.

I literally googled "Big Bang theory forums" and this was the first match.

Basically I just wanted to rant. Of course the post isn't completely serious, but I do have some valid points.

Actually, you have no valid points, as belief based on your own opinion aren't valid points, they're just your opinion. Have you taken into account your observational bias? How many women have you interviewed? What are your error bars on your observations?

I don't watch the show, or any TV for that matter, but whenever I catch this show, it's on the TVs at my Gym.

As far as myself, no, I'm not jealous or petty. I am a very good looking guy. I am white, 6'0 tall, 176 Lbs, 25 years old with good muscle tone, blond hair and light blue eyes. I get many looks from attractive girls all the time, I'm not concerned with my personal attraction level, as I am very lucky to be good looking and I built my body up with hard work and by doing the Paleo diet since last April.

Who are you trying to convince, us, or yourself?

Just because I point out what I did in this thread, does not mean I'm ugly or insecure. My personal looks do not influence my disdain for the way this show portrays laws of attraction.

Maybe not, but it's the way to bet. The large majority of those who resort to name calling, disdain, or a better than others type attitude, are trying to compensate for something. Why do you need to be disrespectful, and talk down to people? Is it how you make yourself feel good? Knocking others, so you can feel superior?

The only reason I even posted here was because reruns of this show play on the TVs at my gym like everyday. When I'm doing cardio, it's either that or sportscenter, and I care not for sports. So I usually get short glimpses of this show, and sure enough, super, ridiculous hot women are all over these guys.

And short glimpses of this show are enough to give you a whole perspective, how exactly? Within the show, there is well muscled, good looking tall guy, who is a complete idiot, actually there are several. Does that mean we can say that well muscled, good looking guys are all complete idiots? One of the hot women has dated a series of well toned muscular good looking guys who have all cheated on her, manipulated her, or broke her trust. One of the guys that you call a loser has been there for her to cry on his shoulder, has helped her financially and emotionally and simply become her best friend. If she needs something, she knows she can count on him. It was after all that, that they started dating. All those jerky, idiot so called alpha males were the losers, not the guy who who really cared for her. That's how those guys got those women. They aren't shallow and look to the person underneath.

And when I mean "losers" I only mean that in regards to having game with women. I don't mean losers as in being unsuccessful and still living at home, they're losers in the sense of how successful they would actually be in the 20 something dating world.

Whose 20 something dating world? How many women do you know in your dating world that have PhDs? Ya, think their dating world may not be your dating world?

My best friend is very smart and educated, very interesting personality. And whenever we go out, I always receive more female admiration because of how he looks. He is skinny, pale, but not bad looking, like the guys on the show. He has a master's degree in journalism, but that does very little for most 20-something women.

Then why would you condescend to be his best friend? Maybe you think he needs your help because you are so much better than he is?

He has to date older women almost exclusively, and usually throughonline dating, because of how he looks (skinny and pale, yet smart and with a degree) because the hot blonds around our age are more interested in muscles than degrees (based on what I've observed anyway)

Then those hot blond women are awfully shallow, silly, and worthless. But, evidently they are part of your dating scene. Bird of a feather, hey?

From what I've observed,

Yeah, there have been observations of UFOs, The Lock Ness Monster, Bigfoot and other assorted legends and monsters, but nothing concrete has ever been found. Tells you something about the reliability of observation, without some actual analysis, or hard evidence, eh?

• Like 2

It's obviously walking into a hornet's nest posting what I have, but no one has refuted what I said. It's all been basically a bunch of feel-good scenes being pointed out as examples (i.e.: "giving her a shoulder to cry on) this doesn't mean anything, it was a scene written by the writers to propel a narrative.

Just as the show stereotypes nerds, it stereotypes jocks. I can assure you, I, nor the vast majority of athletic men, are airheads like the jocks out of Revenge of the Nerds.

I am actually incredibly intelligent, the fact that I have a well defined body is incidental.

Nobody just goes "Well, I'm an idiot, so I better start lifting weights!". It's pretty condescending to just assume "jock = dumb as rocks". I'm interested in high brow subject matter more than frivolous pursuits and acting like a moron. The other day I had a long discussion with a friend about globalization and how we exploit third world countries. I recently completed reading "the selfish gene" by Dawkins. Today, I spent hours pouring over HTML code, debugging what I thought to be an insignificant problem (turned into a 5 hour nightmare search for two erroneous lines of code)

These are all things that aren't exclusively done by Nerds. If I choose to workout a lot, where's the rule that says that I have to be an airhead? It's a logical fallacy to just see someone who's In shape, and think "what an idiot". I work out my mind as much as my body

But, In the show's defense, Of course there's attractive women who would want to be with them, but there's a difference between reluctantly giving them a shot on a couple dates and absolutely fawning over them, like they aren't awkward geeks (They Are).

This is where my problem comes in. Their personalities are off putting and in the case of Sheldon, absolutely Toxic. This is not how the real world works. If you're smart and even reasonably attractive, acting like Sheldon is going to net you 0 dates.

The other guys have sort of a nerdy charm about them, but Sheldon? He has some sort of crippling social anxiety or Austism, and why people think that this is an ok way to act (and actually get women!) is ridiculous. This is not an unreasonable complaint.

This is not how the real world works guys. We obviously have all been living in the Matrix. He has come here to explain to us all how the real world works. He must be Morpheus. 

To be fair, Morpheus was kind of ripped. 

• Like 6

LOL. How did you have the time to sign up for this website, construct a baseless complaint full of generalizations of a show you've only caught "short glimpses" of, come back to check the replies and respond, in between all of that working out?