The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.13 'the Occupation Recalibration' (January 9)

Your Episode Rating  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

The Occupation Recalibration – Sheldon tries to relax after he is forced to take a vacation. Meanwhile, Leonard struggles to be supportive of Penny after she quits her job, and Bernadette seeks Stuart’s help in replacing one of Howard’s comic books, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Jan. 9 (8:00 – 8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Josh Peck guest stars as Jesse, the owner of a rival comic book store.

The Occupation Recalibration – Sheldon tries to relax after he is forced to take a vacation. Meanwhile, Leonard struggles to be supportive of Penny after she quits her job, and Bernadette seeks Stuart’s help in replacing one of Howard’s comic books, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Jan. 9 (8:00 – 8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Josh Peck guest stars as Jesse, the owner of a rival comic book store.

I hope we get a little preview of this one tonight.

Edited by SRAM

thank you tripper :)

I hope we get a little preview of this one tonight.

me too.. i think we will cause they released the press release so close to the episode so maybe they are releasing it for the promo :)

Worst. Episode. Ever.

Okay, that's out of the way. Carry on. :biggrin:

Oh come on, Leonard telling Sheldon to stay is at least worthy of an "it's okay" episode...   :girlsmile:

Oh come on, Leonard telling Sheldon to stay is at least worthy of an "it's okay" episode...   :girlsmile:

Too much relationship and emotion, really bad.  ;)

• Like 1

As long as Sheldon continues to act like a child, he's going to get treated like a child. The consequences of "I don't ever want the characters to grow and change." Be careful what you wish for...

Wish the writers would get away from the Lenny thinking Sheldon is their kid

Agreed. It's asinine. 

Edited by Dracones

Here is a promo:

mmmm- yeh.  Certainly hasn't sold it to me on this promo.  "Sheldon Stay"  and "Come on boy"  - really?

Edited by Convict13

Original Sheldon was grown-up, but childlike. Now he's just childish. He's the victim of negative growth. But I guess that is "change".

Edited by djvang

As long as Sheldon continues to act like a child, he's going to get treated like a child. The consequences of "I don't ever want the characters to grow and change." Be careful what you wish for...

Totally agree. I really dislike it when Penny and Leonard treat Sheldon like their child.   He is in his mid-30's and being treated as if he were a toddler.   He is supposed to be a world-renown and respected genius/scientist and that is the treatment he gets?   While I realize he can be childish and petulant, the more they treat him like that the more he will remain like that.   It really froths me when they continue to push that dynamic.  While I used to think it was amusing in earlier seasons, it has become grating because you can see him struggling constantly with trying to grow up and be a man.  He has said several times this season that he is a fully grown adult man so why do they continually try to put him back down to a child then? 

The only way Sheldon is going to be able to move forward into all the responsibility that comes with an intimate relationship with Amy is if he is free to be a man and not constantly treated as a child.  

• Like 2

Wrong way 'round. He's not acting like a child because he's being treated like one, he's being treated like a child because he often acts like one. You'll notice that out of all the characters, Amy is really the only one that treats him like an adult, her reward for which is often more childish behavior by Sheldon. The others have been dealing with Sheldon longer than she has; they've learned to deal with him by treating him like a child. The exception here is Bernadette, who's known him about as long as Amy has, but unlike Amy, her behavior isn't affected by an attraction to him.

(That's in the show's universe, of course. In the real world, the writers are writing Sheldon like a man-child who, in many ways, seems to be regressing from the early seasons of the show. Mostly for comedic effect, granted, but IMHO they're writing themselves into a corner, and are slowly harming the Sheldon character. I think they need to get a handle on the character and let him start to grow up.)

• Like 6

Technically they are treating Sheldon like a dog in the promo.  Normally parents don't say "stay" (well quite that way) and "come on boy"... :curtsey:

Technically they are treating Sheldon like a dog in the promo.  Normally parents don't say "stay" (well quite that way) and "come on boy"... :curtsey:

Well how else should Sheldon treated when Leonard and Penny do tell him no as a grown up, he never listen and continue to chase after them while yapping at Leonard's heels.

I was so over the man/child act of Sheldon and he needs to put on his big boy pants and act like an adult not just say he is one. Actions not words will show he is an adult.

• Like 1

I remember a scene like that in Seinfeld whe Jerry talked to Kramer like he was a dog, another similarity to compare in my two favorite shows - but Leaonard and Penny talking down to Sheldon does get old, it is his aparment after all that Leonard moved into - so it's not like Sheldon can't function on his own.

• Like 1

I remember a scene like that in Seinfeld whe Jerry talked to Kramer like he was a dog, another similarity to compare in my two favorite shows - but Leaonard and Penny talking down to Sheldon does get old, it is his aparment after all that Leonard moved into - so it's not like Sheldon can't function on his own.

And how many roommates did Sheldon run off because he is bat crap crazy? So I guess Sheldon didn't do so great on his own before Leonard moved in or he wouldn't have the roommate that Leonard met and told Leonard to run for his life so to speak. Even during the time Leonard was away Sheldon still didn't stand on his own he just transfer everything Leonard did for him on to Penny (heck he had a nightmare and ran over to Penny wanting to sleep there and even took Penny's bed). That isn't a person that can take care of himself.

eta: post like your is the very reason I want Leonard to move out ---- some act as if it's only Sheldon apartment and he gets to control every aspect instead of it being both Leonard and Sheldon apartment. It's like Leonard is a guest in his own apartment.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 1

And how many roommates did Sheldon run off because he is bat crap crazy? So I guess Sheldon didn't do so great on his own before Leonard moved in or he wouldn't have the roommate that Leonard met and told Leonard to run for his life so to speak. Even during the time Leonard was away Sheldon still didn't stand on his own he just transfer everything Leonard did for him on to Penny (heck he had a nightmare and ran over to Penny wanting to sleep there and even took Penny's bed). That isn't a person that can take care of himself.

eta: post like your is the very reason I want Leonard to move out ---- some act as if it's only Sheldon apartment and he gets to control every aspect instead of it being both Leonard and Sheldon apartment. It's like Leonard is a guest in his own apartment.

If Leonard moved out there wouldn't be a show anymore - in any case Sheldon sublets one of the rooms in his apartment to help pay the rent - so technically Leonard is a guest in Sheldon's apartment.

Edited by luke

If Leonard moved out there wouldn't be a show anymore - in any case Sheldon sublets one of the rooms in his apartment to help pay the rent - so technically Leonard is a guest in Sheldon's apartment.

I bet the legal systems wouldn't see as Leonard is technically a guest.

Why wouldn't there be a show just because Leonard move out? Most of you believe the show is only about Sheldon and he will still be there. So the show goes on!

• Like 1

Wish the writers would get away from the Lenny thinking Sheldon is their kid

Can't agree more, I wish the writers would stop doing that.

And what I don't get either, Penny & Leonard know how Sheldon is, but more importantly, they know how he can be (almost Adultlike).

Why don't they help Sheldon (and Amy) to bring that out more.

Like some of you have said, if they keep nurturing that side of Sheldon, it's only gonna get worse.

• Like 2

Guess this is one promo I don't like.

Sheldon is being treated like a dog which is ridiculous.

It is also ridiculous that a story line could be made in 2014 about forcing a theoretical physicist to take a vacation. He can do as much work at home as at the office. He does work at home all the time. He has an opportunity to avoid travel time and talking to people. I'd expect Sheldon to enjoy his vacation time since he can do what ever he wants and does not have to actually talk to anyone, expose himself to any germs or risk being in a vehicle accident.

The premise lacks consistency with most other episodes.

• Like 4