The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.13 'the Occupation Recalibration' (January 9)

Your Episode Rating  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Guess this is one promo I don't like.

Sheldon is being treated like a dog which is ridiculous.

It is also ridiculous that a story line could be made in 2014 about forcing a theoretical physicist to take a vacation. He can do as much work at home as at the office. He does work at home all the time. He has an opportunity to avoid travel time and talking to people. I'd expect Sheldon to enjoy his vacation time since he can do what ever he wants and does not have to actually talk to anyone, expose himself to any germs or risk being in a vehicle accident.

The premise lacks consistency with most other episodes.

I agree.  They forced him to take a vacation last time and he ranted on how it was important to keep learning during a vacation so went to work with Amy in her lab.   And, as you said, he could take days off and continue working and there is nothing they could do about it at the University.   That would be more consistent with the character.  So this entire premise is ridiculous and annoying to me because it is just another way for him to behave childish, be treated not only like a child, but a dog in this case, and made a fool.   I really hate how they are sacrificing the characters a lot this season and also running jokes into the ground (like Howard's mother's weight and Raj/Stuarts pathetic ability to meet women).  They really need to start looking beyond these same old jokes and also go back and revisit character history.

• Like 3

After watching this episode, I'm going to tryband stay spoiler-free until 7'15 because I'm hopeful it may be Shamy centric. After all, maybe the writers want to contrast Sheldon's childishness in this episode to how he behaves with Amy in the next.

It's not the actual vacation that bothers Sheldon in my opinion.  It's the changing of the homeostasis that is upsetting.  Sure he can work at home but he cannot conceptualize why he just can't work in the office.  It's not logical to him.

Maybe one day he will find vacations to be enjoyable because he will get to do something with Amy(outside of cleaning beakers in her lab).  But for right now, he finds it an unnecessary evil.  And like Penny clogging up all the washing machines on a Saturday night, he doesn't know how to deal with that...

• Like 2

Sheldon doesn't act the way he does because of the way Leonard and Penny treat him, they treat him that way because of the way he acts. 

Sheldon would not do well on his own.  Before Leonard his living room furniture consisted of two lawn chairs.  He needs someone to drive him to work, the comic book store, to the dentist, the model train store, the pottery barn, and anywhere else he wants to go to.  Every time hi rides on the bus, bad things happens to him. 

Leonard is NOT a guest.  He helps pay part of the rent and utilities. 

• Like 3

Guess this is one promo I don't like.

Sheldon is being treated like a dog which is ridiculous.

Raj has been treated like that by Penny  also.  It's not an isolated incident.   She's treated it more as a joke than anything serious.

Sheldon does act childish, but when you reinforce it by acting like a parent all the time and keeping him at that "child" level, it only makes it harder for him to get out of that role.  Some people like that feeling of never having to grow up.   Yet a part of him wants to be an adult man for Amy.   So he is in a constant struggle right now because he has friends willing to parent him and thus he is able to keep being petulant and childish because he will get away with it with them parenting him, but yet he wants to work on becoming the man he wants to be for Amy.   I really think until the parenting stops, he is going to have a hard time ridding himself of that childish behavior.   It will never go away completely, but it certain will die down some if people start making him act more mature and like a man instead of pandering to his childish behavior.   To me it only encourages that kind of behavior when Lenny act like his parents.

Amy has a way to encourage Sheldon to get out of his childish moods by treating him as an adult.  It reminds me of the scene where Bernie yells at him for treating Howard so poorly on Thanksgiving, and he just laughed at how tiny she was and "funny" she was when she got mad.   Yet Amy quietly went over and said to him, "Alright Mister, I think an apology is in order" and he looks at her, realizes she isn't yelling, isn't treating him like a parent, but as a peer offering excellent advice as always, so he stands up and agrees and then apologizes.   He manned up in that case and did the right thing. 

It is easy to pout and stomp your feet, beg and act all kid-like when you want your way, especially if you have two people willing to put up with that kind of behavior and cave in to your wants.   Penny talking baby talk to him or like to a puppy, well that is only enabling that kind of behavior in him.  Sure he initiates the behavior, but will continue to do so if it is enabled.   It can only be broken when someone is willing to show you how to be an adult instead of a child all the time.

This is why I really dislike Lenny as pseudo-parents to him.  It enables his childish behavior. I have no problem with him being innocent and all, but he quit being a toddler at least 30 years ago so time to grow up.    He and Amy will always have some innocence about them because of the way they grew up, but she has learned out to transition from childhood to an adult.  He needs that as well and so far the only person willing to help him get there is her.  He wants to get there for her, but it "comfort zones" are hard to outgrow when they are being encouraged by others.

Isn't 1/9 in this coming Thursday? How can you know if a future episode sucked?

Huh?  Yes it is this coming Thursday.  Now sure who said the episode sucked.  We were talking about past episodes  where Lenny treat Sheldon like child and the scene in the promo where Lenny treat Sheldon like a dog.  We were not discussing the episode itself yet.

After watching this episode, I'm going to tryband stay spoiler-free until 7'15 because I'm hopeful it may be Shamy centric. After all, maybe the writers want to contrast Sheldon's childishness in this episode to how he behaves with Amy in the next.

I'm doing the same thing. If it is Shamy centric I want to be completely surprised. Plus, this last episode wasn't as funny because I knew exactly what was being said.

I'm doing the same thing. If it is Shamy centric I want to be completely surprised. Plus, this last episode wasn't as funny because I knew exactly what was being said.

Often the delivery makes the lines so much better. These actors really bring the characters to life.

Raj has been treated like that by Penny  also.  It's not an isolated incident.   She's treated it more as a joke than anything serious.

It may not irk me as much when I see the actual episode.

Isn't 1/9 in this coming Thursday? How can you know if a future episode sucked?

Some of us post "it sucked" ahead of time because we're mocking those whose sole purpose in life apparently is to go into every thread about a new episode and bitch about how bad it was.

It's not the actual vacation that bothers Sheldon in my opinion.  It's the changing of the homeostasis that is upsetting.  Sure he can work at home but he cannot conceptualize why he just can't work in the office.  It's not logical to him.

Maybe one day he will find vacations to be enjoyable because he will get to do something with Amy(outside of cleaning beakers in her lab).  But for right now, he finds it an unnecessary evil.  And like Penny clogging up all the washing machines on a Saturday night, he doesn't know how to deal with that...

You have a good point about the homeostasis.

I think a genius like Sheldon should be able to figure out that he could mitigate the lack of continuity if he spread his vacation time out and avoided taking it in one block. I am no genius and this is exactly what I do.

• Like 1

Well and didn't he take some vacation time during Christmas when he went to help Missy give birth?  I know some of that was probably holiday time anyway, but it depends on how long he was there.  If he was there for about a week, some of those days could have been vacation days.

Sheldon does act childish, but when you reinforce it by acting like a parent all the time and keeping him at that "child" level, it only makes it harder for him to get out of that role.  Some people like that feeling of never having to grow up.   Yet a part of him wants to be an adult man for Amy.   So he is in a constant struggle right now because he has friends willing to parent him and thus he is able to keep being petulant and childish because he will get away with it with them parenting him, but yet he wants to work on becoming the man he wants to be for Amy.   I really think until the parenting stops, he is going to have a hard time ridding himself of that childish behavior.   It will never go away completely, but it certain will die down some if people start making him act more mature and like a man instead of pandering to his childish behavior.   To me it only encourages that kind of behavior when Lenny act like his parents.

Amy has a way to encourage Sheldon to get out of his childish moods by treating him as an adult.  It reminds me of the scene where Bernie yells at him for treating Howard so poorly on Thanksgiving, and he just laughed at how tiny she was and "funny" she was when she got mad.   Yet Amy quietly went over and said to him, "Alright Mister, I think an apology is in order" and he looks at her, realizes she isn't yelling, isn't treating him like a parent, but as a peer offering excellent advice as always, so he stands up and agrees and then apologizes.   He manned up in that case and did the right thing. 

It is easy to pout and stomp your feet, beg and act all kid-like when you want your way, especially if you have two people willing to put up with that kind of behavior and cave in to your wants.   Penny talking baby talk to him or like to a puppy, well that is only enabling that kind of behavior in him.  Sure he initiates the behavior, but will continue to do so if it is enabled.   It can only be broken when someone is willing to show you how to be an adult instead of a child all the time.

This is why I really dislike Lenny as pseudo-parents to him.  It enables his childish behavior. I have no problem with him being innocent and all, but he quit being a toddler at least 30 years ago so time to grow up.    He and Amy will always have some innocence about them because of the way they grew up, but she has learned out to transition from childhood to an adult.  He needs that as well and so far the only person willing to help him get there is her.  He wants to get there for her, but it "comfort zones" are hard to outgrow when they are being encouraged by others.

Amy treats him like a child as well, the bolded being a perfect example. She is constantly forced to scold him and talk down to his level, so I don't understand how you can say that he wants to be a man for Amy when there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that. Sheldon behaves like a child and therefore they have no choice but to treat him like one. If Leonard and Penny are the parents, then Amy is the nanny. 

• Like 1

Amy treats him like a child as well, the bolded being a perfect example. She is constantly forced to scold him and talk down to his level, so I don't understand how you can say that he wants to be a man for Amy when there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that. Sheldon behaves like a child and therefore they have no choice but to treat him like one. If Leonard and Penny are the parents, then Amy is the nanny. 

lol , that was funny ...

• Like 1

In real life sheldron is 40 years old and Leonard is 38 years old and penny is 28

Edited by gwhh

Some of us post "it sucked" ahead of time because we're mocking those whose sole purpose in life apparently is to go into every thread about a new episode and bitch about how bad it was.

And then there are those whose sole purpose in life apparently is to go into every thread and attack anyone who dares to criticize the show. Followed by the usual group of Pharisees who bravely "Like" the attack. Pretty pathetic considering it's all over a TV show.

• Like 2

And then there are those whose sole purpose in life apparently is to go into every thread and attack anyone who dares to criticize the show. Followed by the usual group of Pharisees who bravely "Like" the attack. Pretty pathetic considering it's all over a TV show.

Pathetic is telling everyone how bad the show is, on a repeated basis, then telling everyone how they forced their SO to watch the bad TV show. If it someone thinks its so bad, isn't it pathetic that they continue to watch it and apparently to tell everyone how bad they think it is?

• Like 5

If it someone thinks its so bad, isn't it pathetic that they continue to watch it and apparently to tell everyone how bad they think it is?

Apparently this is not something that is only within TBBT universe.  It happens on other shows I watch that have been on for a while.  Eventually things change and the incessant moaning about the writers, quality, continuity and set decoration develops....

Apparently this is not something that is only within TBBT universe.  It happens on other shows I watch that have been on for a while.  Eventually things change and the incessant moaning about the writers, quality, continuity and set decoration develops....

Yup. That's why it's ripe for mocking, which is what I do every chance I get. :biggrin: Those who complain I just ignore, usually with the help of my ignore list, because life's too short to put up with bulls**t in a place where I come to enjoy myself.

Edited by Martin Pollard
  • Like 4

Yup. That's why it's ripe for mocking, which is what I do every chance I get. :biggrin: Those who complain I just ignore, usually with the help of my ignore list, because life's too short to put up with bulls**t in a place where I come to enjoy myself.

Well I for one always look forward to your post, the thread can't really start without it.

• Like 1

Pathetic is telling everyone how bad the show is, on a repeated basis, then telling everyone how they forced their SO to watch the bad TV show. If it someone thinks its so bad, isn't it pathetic that they continue to watch it and apparently to tell everyone how bad they think it is?

But I don't think it's so bad. It's still one of the better shows on TV despite its decline in quality. And, yes, that is a subjective opinion.

But I don't think it's so bad. It's still one of the better shows on TV despite its decline in quality. And, yes, that is a subjective opinion.

Then why be so negative (and very nastily at times) toward it? And why did you say you thought it so bad, that when your wife wanted to know why you were watching it, you said you kept it on to show her how bad it was. Those things seem so contradictory to what you said here and I'm just trying to understand. I get that you may not think it as good as the earlier seasons, and if you expressed your opinion in this kind of manner, with or without specifics, I, for one wouldn't have a problem. It come down to how nasty and derogatory you get with it, yet claim to still like it.