7.13 'the Occupation Recalibration' (January 9)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Then why be so negative (and very nastily at times) toward it? And why did you say you thought it so bad, that when your wife wanted to know why you were watching it, you said you kept it on to show her how bad it was. Those things seem so contradictory to what you said here and I'm just trying to understand. I get that you may not think it as good as the earlier seasons, and if you expressed your opinion in this kind of manner, with or without specifics, I, for one wouldn't have a problem. It come down to how nasty and derogatory you get with it, yet claim to still like it.

There ARE episodes of the show that I have really hated. That's why I said negative things about them. Thankfully those episodes are not the majority.  My wife has stopped watching the show because she's even more dismayed with the direction that I am. I think it was the Spanking episode or the Song episode that I showed her because I knew it would drive her crazy. And it did.  :icon_twisted:  "Why did you show me that!".

I DON'T think the show is as good as earlier seasons and I've said that, with and without specifics. But there are those who immediately respond with "If you hate the show so much just shutup and stop watching". They translate criticism into hatred. They have a zero tolerance policy for any criticism of the show.  You know who they are. And BTW,  I've seen "The List" of those to be shunned. Really? It's just a TV show.  And we're not in 7th grade anymore.

For the record, I'm obviously disappointed in the direction of the show but it's still one of the better shows on TV, and much to the anger of most people out here, I'll continue to watch it and comment on it . If I stop liking most of the shows, I'll stop watching.

There ARE episodes of the show that I have really hated. That's why I said negative things about them. Thankfully those episodes are not the majority.  My wife has stopped watching the show because she's even more dismayed with the direction that I am. I think it was the Spanking episode or the Song episode that I showed her because I knew it would drive her crazy. And it did.  :icon_twisted:  "Why did you show me that!".

I DON'T think the show is as good as earlier seasons and I've said that, with and without specifics. But there are those who immediately respond with "If you hate the show so much just shutup and stop watching". They translate criticism into hatred. They have a zero tolerance policy for any criticism of the show.  You know who they are. And BTW,  I've seen "The List" of those to be shunned. Really? It's just a TV show.  And we're not in 7th grade anymore.

For the record, I'm obviously disappointed in the direction of the show but it's still one of the better shows on TV, and much to the anger of most people out here, I'll continue to watch it and comment on it . If I stop liking most of the shows, I'll stop watching.

Abraham Lincoln said something that I think covers this:

“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

While I wouldn't dream of speaking for anyone else, I do understand that simply writing criticisms of the show does not mean that one doesn't like the show.  Sometimes it's the degree of criticism that is the problem.  When someone, and I'm not saying you because frankly I have no clue how deeply you critique things, posts pretty much only critical commentary about the show I know I wonder why said person would subject themselves to such torture in watching.

Because I like the show, I have developed a protective instinct to some of the characters and/or relationships so naturally I'm going to feel that criticism might be unwarranted.  I believe that is why certain people get more defensive over a particular character than others.  Even though it's only a "TV show", people get attached.  So it becomes not just picking on a fake person, but someone people have come to love.  It is what it is.

I don't have a clue about the "shunning list" and frankly don't really care.  This forum, or any forum, should be a "nice" place to visit.  There shouldn't be problems and for the most part I don't see them.  I don't agree with everyone nor do I expect to.  But I do know how to maintain myself (as I am rapidly approaching 50 at a REAL terrifying rate).  

Wow I think this is the longest post I've ever made.  No where near Lionne - I'm not that good... :girldance:

Edited by Kasey

OK, I can understand this (I should have asked well before today).  I can even understand the driving the wife crazy, I do it myself.    I just couldn't understand why someone who apparently hated the show with the intensity you put in   your comments, would want to watch it.  I mean if you go back and read what you said (or you're not old like me and can remember),  you were rather strident in how you felt.  And the way you laid out the story of how you forced your  wife to watch the show sounded  bit sadistic. I really don't have a problem with criticism of the show, but I just felt the apparent depths of your seeming hatred of the show deserved a reply and after several of those, I got a bit snarky.  For that I apologize.   If you want, criticize away, but I will still call you on what I feel is unnecessary derogatory comments (although I will try to hold back the snarky comments).   Oh, and if you've seen the list, can you pass it along, I haven't.  

Edited by Tensor

i don't know dvjang, like i understand what you're saying but last year you were nothing like this and rude all the time. i'm not sure if it's cause you hated season 6 or now because people i guess have been more harsh with you, you want to defend yourself??

of course i don't want someone who likes the show to feel like they can't post, i am just confused because of your past comments. ?

OK, I can understand this (I should have asked well before today).  I can even understand the driving the wife crazy, I do it myself.    I just couldn't understand why someone who apparently hated the show with the intensity you put in   your comments, would want to watch it.  I mean if you go back and read what you said (or you're not old like me and can remember),  you were rather strident in how you felt.  And the way you laid out the story of how you forced your  wife to watch the show sounded  bit sadistic. I really don't have a problem with criticism of the show, but I just felt the apparent depths of your seeming hatred of the show deserved a reply and after several of those, I got a bit snarky.  For that I apologize.   If you want, criticize away, but I will still call you on what I feel is unnecessary derogatory comments (although I will try to hold back the snarky comments).   Oh, and if you've seen the list, can you pass it along, I haven't.  

I don't hate the show as a whole but I do hate some episodes. I'll admit I've probably been too strident at times and I tend to get snarky too.  Especially when other people act the same way toward me. For that I apologize. I'm not claiming to be innocent, but others are.

I've talked outside this forum to several others and we all admit we actually like the show less than we normally would because of our experience in this forum. That's the opposite of the way it should be.  One person said he was indifferent to the Amy character until he was verbally assaulted by Amy defenders.  Now he hates her, not because of the character, but because of her fans. That's like me and the Green Bay Packers. I used to like them until I went to college and was exposed to their fans. :umbrage:

Edited by djvang

I don't hate the show as a whole but I do hate some episodes. I'll admit I've probably been too strident at times and I tend to get snarky too.  Especially when other people act the same way toward me. For that I apologize. I'm not claiming to be innocent, but others are.

heheheheh, I wonder if part of our problem is our similar approach to things. The above could have come straight from me (well except the hate, I really like the show (which should be obvious) but I do dislike some parts of episodes an exception: Speckerman was a dud for me all the way around).

I've talked outside this forum to several others and we all admit we actually like the show less than we normally would because of our experience in this forum. That's the opposite of the way it should be.  One person said he was indifferent to the Amy character until he was verbally assaulted by Amy defenders.  Now he hates her, not because of the character, but because of her fans.

Yeah, I can see that. I can understand someone saying they don't like this or don't like that because of how they feel. But I admit I tend to ask for specifics when general statements are made and I sometimes forget not everyone is versed in the give and take associated with debating scientific papers. My problem is I get irked when I see generally statements that are quite easily refuted using specifics. But that's my experience on handling claims and statements and I do understand it can be off-putting.

That's like me and the Green Bay Packers. I used to like them until I went to college and was exposed to their fans. :umbrage:

LOL, there's our problem. I was born and raised in Wisconsin, although I now live in Florida, I'm still a Packer fan. Although, interestingly, I get along very well with several people who run Vikings' and Bears' sites.

Thanks for posting the list, I wasn't aware of it, although I don't think it applies in my case. I would like to comment on the list of posters, listed a bit differently than you had them:

1.) Doug:

I don't remember any interaction with Doug

2.) djvang

3.) Anomaly

I have had run ins with you and Anomaly, all based on what I feel is your extreme negativity. I think you and I may be working on it here. I do want to say that outside of the extreme negativity I have had no problems with either of you and your other posts amuse me at time.

4.) Ar Diem (Misspelled his username.)

5.) annieogly

I've had run ins with both, however, Ar (Damn, I miss him) and I started PMing each other, discussed our differences, found we had a lot of similarities, and got to the point where he is the one that nominated me for Valued Contributor, so I think we've been good for a while. Annie and I had some disagreements, but she does have some very similar views(that seems to be a recurring theme with people I have run ins with) and I've supported her in several threads. While I don't think we are best buds, I don't think we're adversarial at the moment (if you see this and disagree annie, let me know and I'll see how I can fix it).

6.) Chrismo (The one who mentioned us.) I've never had a problem with Chrismo (except for some back and forth0, but it wasn't derogatory nor really heated, so I think Chrismo and I are good. If I'm wrong Chrismo, let me know.

I hope the explanations here help you see the list really has nothing to do with me.

I have never seen a list of user names posted anywhere to block or not to block.  I think someone is falsely accusing MJ. While I may not agree with everyone's opinion they are entitled to their opinions.  I just don't care for it when the opinions are based on fans and not the show.  It is fine to base an opinion on the show, but calling fans names or accusing fans is out of line.   I do think for the most part everyone is fairly respectful and I have not had an issue with any one person.   I like seeing the varying opinions because the world is full of varying opinions and that is what makes this world a wonderful place to live in.  It is how we learn from each other and grow as people...if we sit back and listen to others.   You still don't have to agree, but you do learn.  

As far as the show, it still is the best comedy on TV, even if I don't always approve of the writing or direction.  I think the biggest issue I have is mainly with character consistency and continuity and when sacrificing characters for the sake of telling a story. I think you can tell a story without sacrificing your characters and sometimes they take the "lazy" way out and sacrifice their characters.  But overall it still is one of the best shows on TV and still entertains.

• Like 2

Pardon me? Why is my name being brought up when I didn't post that or would never agree to some "hit list" so to speak??? I've never posted a list of usernames like that.

God Particle was referring to you at that time of the post. I never suggested you came up with a list or agreed to it.

Pardon me? Why is my name being brought up when I didn't post that or would never agree to some "hit list" so to speak??? I've never posted a list of usernames like that.

They might be referring to me, as my user name was "MJPollard" before I changed it to my full name. Not that I care; I've been at this game a long, long time, and the slings and arrows of others have long since ceased to have any effect on me. :)

• Like 1

Martin, you could be right. You speak the truth though and I appreciate it.

Thanks, MJ. As I said, I've been at this a long time (going back to the CompuServe and BBS days of the 80's) and have heard every argument and excuse, and seen every behavior imaginable (though I'll admit that sometimes I'm surprised at what people can come up with). Heck, I've even made those arguments, given those excuses, and behaved pretty badly over the years, thus much of what I say does have the wisdom of experience behind it. It's also why I don't bother with people who act like immature brats; I just throw 'em into my ignore list and never have to see them again (except when someone quotes their messages). Sure, it cuts out part of the conversation, and sometimes those people can say something worthwhile (think "a broken clock is still correct twice a day"), but like I've said before, I come here to enjoy myself, and don't need to subject myself to people and behavior which ruins that enjoyment.

• Like 4

They might be referring to me, as my user name was "MJPollard" before I changed it to my full name. Not that I care; I've been at this game a long, long time, and the slings and arrows of others have long since ceased to have any effect on me. :)

If you look at season 6 shamy thread page 200 it wasn't referring to you.

If you look at season 6 shamy thread page 200 it wasn't referring to you.

Yes, considering vang posted that list that was in a Shamy thread last season and asked, "who is MJ?", yes, he was making it about me. That's just the kind of person he is though.

Ah, gotcha. I don't follow the Shamy threads, so I wouldn't have known that. Still, I've seen (indirectly) that I've drawn a few barbs for my blunt comments in the past, so I think I can be forgiven the misunderstanding. ;)

And yes, back to the episode! This is the last comment I shall make on the other subject.

Edited by Martin Pollard

It was just a polite question, but ok.<br />Glad it moved out of here, either way.

No worries, Chiany, I'm just teasing. The mood needs lightening after all the heavy drama, wouldn't you agree?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Edited by Martin Pollard

heheheheh, I wonder if part of our problem is our similar approach to things. The above could have come straight from me (well except the hate, I really like the show (which should be obvious) but I do dislike some parts of episodes an exception: Speckerman was a dud for me all the way around).

Yeah, I can see that. I can understand someone saying they don't like this or don't like that because of how they feel. But I admit I tend to ask for specifics when general statements are made and I sometimes forget not everyone is versed in the give and take associated with debating scientific papers. My problem is I get irked when I see generally statements that are quite easily refuted using specifics. But that's my experience on handling claims and statements and I do understand it can be off-putting.

LOL, there's our problem. I was born and raised in Wisconsin, although I now live in Florida, I'm still a Packer fan. Although, interestingly, I get along very well with several people who run Vikings' and Bears' sites.

Thanks for posting the list, I wasn't aware of it, although I don't think it applies in my case. I would like to comment on the list of posters, listed a bit differently than you had them:

2.) djvang

3.) Anomaly

I have had run ins with you and Anomaly, all based on what I feel is your extreme negativity. I think you and I may be working on it here. I do want to say that outside of the extreme negativity I have had no problems with either of you and your other posts amuse me at time.

We're good as far as I'm concerned. Glad we could clear the air. Skol Vikings!