7.13 'the Occupation Recalibration' (January 9)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I'll do the full overnight write up when the rest of the numbers come in, but last nights show 7.13, The Occupation Recalibration,  tied for the series high in preliminary households.   Normally I look at demo and total viewers, but the first numbers released are households.   The household share of TBBT hit a 12.3, which tied with 7.02 The Deception Verification.  It should be noted that 7.02 was the most viewed show in series history, with 20.44 million.  I don't know if last night number will translate into the same number of viewers, but it is noteworthy.

I don't really care what Sheldon fans want or not to be honest. Character fan favoritism shouldn't be more important than the storyline or the show. Every other character (even Leonard and Penny who are leads as well) have been relegated to a supporting role every other time for the sake of the storyline. The Sheldon character shouldn't be exempt from this.

And if anything, the over-exposition of Sheldon is more harmful than beneficial for the character as of late.

I agree. It seems people are upset on the forums of what Sheldon has become. The over exposure of Sheldon may be part of that. I know I mentioned earlier about what to do with him in this episode. Maybe a Bernadette/Sheldon plot line would have been better since Sheldon's expertise on comic books and he wouldn't of been part of the bigger plot line. I know myself and a couple others mentioned earlier there have been too many episodes in a row with Stuart in it.

I can not believe they caught up with the tv airing dates in filming.  That is hard to believe!  They tape #14 next week!  Dude, talk about management being wrong on the air dates schedule! Wow!

Not really, they're taking a break before sweeps. It happens every year.. and this is the time of the season when things get spread out.

Edited by bigbangsheldon

Why did not anyone ask Penny "Sweetie how are you going to pay your bills??" ... because she barely was able to do so , when she worked at CF.

Leonard did try to bring up the subject when he talked about Penny going into debt. You can say he may have went at it the wrong way but he was worried about this and was shot down.

Part of the problem was Penny only talked to Leonard and Sheldon about the situation. Leonard did mention the debt but his timing wasn't the best. The "Sweetie how are you going to pay your bills?" discussion IMO is still coming. I think maybe one of the girls may ask that. I agree that she definitely has a short window to be a successful actress considering her financial situation.

Why did not anyone ask Penny "Sweetie how are you going to pay your bills??" ... because she barely was able to do so , when she worked at CF.

Good point, but, it is a sit-com, not real life, so they aren't always going to do what seems realistic.

I think Penny's career is becoming a joke and part of the reason is that she is so clueless about what it takes to make it as an actress.  And as I've said before, it seems she's focused on the perqs of stardom, not the innate joy of acting.  Like a 16 year old kid who wants to be some heavy metal guitar-shredding rock star but has no interest in the grunt work it takes to learn to play the guitar.

If this were real life, Penny would do what lots of young people in NYC do - they get a roommate to share the bills.  My first career job after college I got a roommate as soon as I could to cut my monthly rent cost.  Made a difference.  Even if she put her name on a waiting list (and I am talking about years ago) for a 2 bedroom in the same building, she could have moved in, gotten a roommate and still saved money.

But I am sure at some point they will have to address on the show how she is going to make the rent.

Somebody on the forum suggested she should change career path and become a police officer.  Funny, I had thought that too - man, Penny as a cop could open up some great story lines and a whole new direction for the plot.  Although at 28 she may be a little past her prime for going to the police academy, but maybe not.  But I like that idea (didn't she wear a police officer uniform to a Halloween party once?).

• Like 1

I liked the episode, I really liked Amy's plot and Bernadette's, I loved the evil Comic Book store owner and Captain Sweatpants!

I loved Sheldon and Penny friendship interactions in this one too, and I am happy something is finally happening with Penny's career and it is getting mentioned. 

• Like 1

I can't recall if Amy has ever spoken with H/R, so the two of them coming in to get her for lunch was somewhat of a surprise. However, their interaction was very good.

B and S was an interesting combination also since I know there has not been any interaction with them. I did not, however,  like her screaming at the end. That is wearing very thin with the idea that he is attracted to that voice because she sounds like his mother. Also H going off with R to the rock show again brings back the" dating" of the two. Even though he is married, there have been too many instances where H. seems to prefer R over B.

The lack of any kind of A and S interaction was strange  and even  less desirable was S. making it clear that he will live with Lenny-----no mention of Amy having any part of his life in the future.

Lots of filler in this episode

Edited by queuetee

I can't recall if Amy has ever spoken with H/R, so the two of them coming in to get her for lunch was somewhat of a surprise. However, their interaction was very good.

In 7.03, The Scavenger Vortex, Howard and Amy spent the whole episode together as a team for a scavenger hunt and found they have a mutual love of Neil Diamond.  

In 7.03, The Scavenger Vortex, Howard and Amy spent the whole episode together as a team for a scavenger hunt and found they have a mutual love of Neil Diamond.

Amy was the one That got chosen to meet Lucy in Bon Voyage

I actually liked Amy in this episode. She's likable when she's not playing Captain Ahab.

I liked Bert. I've seen that actor in other shows basically playing the same character. He fits in perfectly as a geek.

Don't know why they've decided to have Bernadette screech in every episode. She's replaced Howard's mother. She gets muted now.

The alternate comic store owner seemed like he was doing a Scott Baio impersonation.

I liked that they had Penny and Sheldon together. I'm not a Shenny but I like their interaction.

Still don't care for the current over-animated version of Sheldon.  Treating him like a dog was demeaning to a mind that comes along once, maybe twice in a generation.

I rated it OK.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the Amy/Howard/Raj storyline but felt the rest was just filler. I didn't like seeing Bernadette coming back into buy the comic book at the end. Bit bored of the will they/won't they Leonard/Penny relationship and as a few have mentioned they just have them in a holding position.

To be honest what I think has happened is that the writers feel that they want to go for the 10 seasons and become a classic sitcom, and are neglecting to write good storylines that will get them to that mark. I'd prefer for it to finish after 8 seasons with excellent storylines rather than be dragged out for the sake of dragging it out and only occasionaly getting a good epsiode.

Assuming they stick to the 24 episodes per season including what remains in this season that would be 24 x 3 = 72 plus 11 more this season. 83 more to get to 10 seasons. Given the three main couples Leonard and Penny: probably eventually move in together and get married, similar for Sheldon and Amy, given the snails pace of this relationship they have more time to play around with this one. Howard and Bernie: well they've already married them off, so what will they do with them for three more seasons, if children are not introduced onto the show? Of course science/work storylines could be included such as tenure/Nobel prize for Sheldon, but I do wonder are the writers running out of ideas. 

Episodes where there isn't much character development and the stories don't move that far forward are fine, and can be executed very well such as the scavanger hunt. That is one of my favourites, but there's been a lot of filler this season and some of it very average. 
Edited by kameleon

I enjoyed the Amy/Howard/Raj storyline but felt the rest was just filler. I didn't like seeing Bernadette coming back into buy the comic book at the end. Bit bored of the will they/won't they Leonard/Penny relationship and as a few have mentioned they just have them in a holding position.

To be honest what I think has happened is that the writers feel that they want to go for the 10 seasons and become a classic sitcom, and are neglecting to write good storylines that will get them to that mark. I'd prefer for it to finish after 8 seasons with excellent storylines rather than be dragged out for the sake of dragging it out and only occasionaly getting a good epsiode.

Assuming they stick to the 24 episodes per season including what remains in this season that would be 24 x 3 = 72 plus 11 more this season. 83 more to get to 10 seasons. Given the three main couples Leonard and Penny: probably eventually move in together and get married, similar for Sheldon and Amy, given the snails pace of this relationship they have more time to play around with this one. Howard and Bernie: well they've already married them off, so what will they do with them for three more seasons, if children are not introduced onto the show? Of course science/work storylines could be included such as tenure/Nobel prize for Sheldon, but I do wonder are the writers running out of ideas. 

Episodes where there isn't much character development and the stories don't move that far forward are fine, and can be executed very well such as the scavanger hunt. That is one of my favourites, but there's been a lot of filler this season and some of it very average.

I think they keep the show interesting if they expand the sets. Have the gang go to Las Vegas, Comic on, maybe Hawaii. Modern Family seems to be opening up their sets, why can't TBBT?

• Like 1

Copy/pasting what I posted on the other forum:

I really enjoyed this episode. And I don't think that Sheldon is "inserting himself" in the L/P relationship or being treated like a child, etc.

I agree with FoxPhile--and with a brilliant post about this issue that koops made on the other forum--about Sheldon A) asking the questions that many of the fans have been asking regarding how a marriage or L/P living together will affect the dynamic of the 3 of them--who's going to live where, etc.--and B ) not being able to imagine such a big change, so he can only conceive of it in terms of adding Penny to the unchanging situation of he and Leonard continuing to live together.

First of all, Sheldon is understandably concerned with what happens between Leonard and Penny--and it's really kind of a follow-up for him as well from the events of last week's episode. He was serious when he was asking Leonard about the relationship and what was going to happen, and he was serious now. He doesn't like change, and he has said before that he has grown to like Penny and they consider each other friends, and Leonard is his best friend, so anything that changes the current status quo is going to be a big issue for him.
That he considers it from his point of view is totally in character for Sheldon, so it's understandable that he wants them to settle things so that he can feel settled.

And the puppy thing was for what, all of a few minutes? It's not as if they treated him like a puppy or a baby or a child throughout the episode. They used the puppy metaphor to underscore Leonard making him stay and then Penny inviting him on an outing, but that was the whole extent of it, except for maybe the one line Penny says in the car about leaving the window cracked open.

Otherwise, Sheldon and Penny had a real, grown-up conversation in the car and the three of them had a normal, although skewed, conversation in the apartment.

And, again, these are questions that need to be asked and answered, but if Leonard and Penny want to have a private conversation about it, that's easily accomplished by them just walking across the hall. They do it all the time. I'm sure it's a conversation that isn't over yet.

I also loved the Amy/Raj/Howard/Bert story--and I LOVED that Amy kept putting Raj in his place when he kept trying to joke about Amy and Sheldon's relationship. She kept pointing out that she did indeed have a relationship and she defended it, rather than joining in to poke fun at Sheldon or be self-deprecating or pathetic about their relationship. She was proud of it and not afraid to own it.
That she didn't want to hurt Bert's feelings, understanding what it's like to be disliked, was great, and yet she wasn't so desperate for attention that she would take it from him. And, as she said, even if she weren't dating, she still wouldn't have wanted to go out with him. She wanted to be nice, but she didn't want to "date" him or to lead him on.

I love that Bert guilted R/H into going with him.

And I also enjoyed the Bernie/Stuart story, even though it's sad to see poor Stuart's shop seeming to decline. I like that Bernie stood up for him and protected his feelings, but, of course, practicality demanded that she go back for the comic. I love her crazy/mad voice as she ordered the drink and snack, too. lol.gif

I think that sometimes people make too big a deal of the way the show has done the child/Sheldon--I mean, how many times have they really done that? And I don't think that Sheldon in this case was forgetting his own relationship. If he were ready to move in with or marry Amy, which he clearly is not, then his thoughts about what might be happening with L/P might have been different. But even so, he was not acting like a child or a puppy in that conversation.

I think they only played up the "child Sheldon" idea in a couple of episodes and really only to emphasize certain things in those specific storylines, not as an ongoing definition of the dynamic between the three of them.
  • Like 5

Ok I watched the episode and I didn't mind at all that there was no Shamy. Actually I like that Amy had an individual storyline apart from Sheldon. IMO that was the strongest storyline it really had me laughing out loud. Bert was funny and so was his interaction with Amy. How he would give her the pretty rock and she didn't understand that he likes her. And Ramyhow was just amazing!!!! I loved that Amy wasn't affected by Raj's teasing!! And I actually found it sweet that they like her so much now and they invite her to lunch and make jokes about each other. That is what friends do I loved it!!! Prepare your uterus for his giagantic offspring!!! That was the line of the ep!!!! 

Amy didn't really look so 'normal'. The rat joke was brilliant and as I think Chalice said it was the real deal. That is Amy. Plus the way she said ''No,that's not true.My boyfriend has an off-putting personality too.Way worse than you'' reminded me of s4 when she was talking like a robot(oh I loved that!!). Of course it wasn't really s4 Amy but I was ok with her at that ep. That storyline was amazing they need to mix Amy with Raj and/or Howard more often!!!

As for Bernie. I am not really objective here cause I like her very much. But I loved her!!! Actually I liked that she interacted with Stuart!! He was funny as always!! The way she didn't laugh at his joke!! I didn't get it either so I was just like Bernie there!!! I know it's been said before but I would rather Sheldon was there with Bernie!! How often do we get to see them interact?? I so wanted them a team at scavenger's hunt and so wanted them together now!! I hope the writers do that sometime it will be really funny!!!!

About L/S/P. It was my least favourite but it wasn't that bad. I am too a little bored with Sheldon and Penny cause we have got enough of that this season. Having said that the yoga was extremely cute!!!!! Jim was so damn funny being so awkward stretching his arms and his legs!!!! Up to this point I was thinking that no matter how I didn't really like puppy Sheldon I was ok with it cause Jim nailed it but after that yoga scene I realized that there are funnier things for Sheldon to do!!! And Jim can do it!!! Fortunately, all that puppy thing wasn't much and Sheldon was so cute but still not my favourite moment!! Lenny had a bit of drama at this ep too. I don't really mind and I think Leonard had a very good point there!!! Actually Penny irritated me a little I understand her but I think she was wrong. Not about the job but about Leonard and how she handled it. At first Leonard tried to talk to her about her decision and why he thinks it is a bad idea but she told him she already had done it. What else could he do but agree then?? As for Sheldon Andy I think mayde an excellent point. He isn't all that affected by her decision he gets to say ''hey that is wonderful do your best dreamer!!'' and Penny has to live with the consequences. But Leonard really does care about her so he is the one to say the tough truth. For the record I think Sheldon was totally right people should follow their dreams and sometimes throw caution to the wind. But up to that point Penny didn't seem like she was fully aware of the implications of her quitting. It is one thing to believe everything will be alright cause you are following your dream so it will happen and a totally different thing to say I will follow my dream no matter what knowing what that means.Leonard just wanted to protect her.And honestly she should have talked with him about it. That is what couples do they talk they seek the other person's advice or at least let them know about the big decisions before it is too late. I get that Penny may have acted out of impulse and never got the chance to tell him before but she should at least be open to him having a different opinion. But I have a feeling that this is the first relationship for Penny that is so serious and with such a decent guy so she is learning too. What I liked about her is that at the end she actually listened and understood. I think Leonard and Penny took a step forward!!! It didn't bother me that Sheldon was there cause he asked the big questions and got them thinking about them. They weren't actually answered so that is something they will do alone. And honestly Sheldon thought that he was part of Leonard's relationship with Stephanie!! He was even crushing their dates and he was perfectly fine for her to live with them!! I don't see why he would have a problem with Penny that is his way to keep Leonard there forever. It would be like Disneyland for him with his parents, having his friends coming over and his girlfriend do her homework with him. I am not surprised really. And I think that soon enough he will have to face the truth!!

Look at me talking about Lenny so much!!! But I think they are in a good place and good things will come for them and for Shamy too. I liked the episode. Not my favourite but it was good. I wouldn't mind if there wasn't the Penny and Sheldon interaction. And is it just me or that ''draw water through genitals'' was really yucky?? And Sheldon's last remark to Penny ''you'll need a straw''?? Yuck!! I was looking at Penny's face and it was like I was looking into a mirror!!! But I keep the good moments!!! ;) Season 7 still looks good to me!!!!!!

• Like 2

I LOVE 'MONSTER' BERT! and JOSH PECK haha :D 
Bert was really funny and weird, thats what we love, the crazies whether they have been tested or not. I found him cute giving Amy a rock <3 I love Josh anyway, Im sure we'll be seeing more him, both of them actuallBERT! haha 

This episode was a big step up from the last one, Penny and Leonard are beginning to annoy me though, this pull between is getting stretched. Sheldon made me laugh with his dog cry :) 
I said before that Amy's character is fading quirks sadly, though her indiviual story line I enjoyed and her interaction with Bert.

Edited by LoveShamy

Look at me talking about Lenny so much!!! But I think they are in a good place and good things will come for them and for Shamy too. I liked the episode. Not my favourite but it was good. I wouldn't mind if there wasn't the Penny and Sheldon interaction. And is it just me or that ''draw water through genitals'' was really yucky?? And Sheldon's last remark to Penny ''you'll need a straw''?? Yuck!! I was looking at Penny's face and it was like I was looking into a mirror!!! But I keep the good moments!!! ;) Season 7 still looks good to me!!!!!!

Not just you...I found that completely creepy and yucky.   I am not liking his sexual innuendo much anymore.   It is very inappropriate now.

I don't like the whole treating Sheldon as a puppy thing. The writers should get back to the relationship that Leonaard and Sheldon had in Season 1. Also, I seem to remember something in last week's preview about "something you won't believe". What was this? Because I didn't see anything major except for Penny quitting Cheesecake Factory. I see her ending back up there soon though. I thnk when she makes it big is when the show will end. I don't really care for Bernadette's harsh Mrs. Wolowitz personality. They did handle the competing comic book store scens pretty funny though. I think they handled Penny's proposal right and exactly what is was, a druken self loathing moment of weakness.

I don't like the whole treating Sheldon as a puppy thing. The writers should get back to the relationship that Leonaard and Sheldon had in Season 1. Also, I seem to remember something in last week's preview about "something you won't believe". What was this? Because I didn't see anything major except for Penny quitting Cheesecake Factory. I see her ending back up there soon though. I thnk when she makes it big is when the show will end. I don't really care for Bernadette's harsh Mrs. Wolowitz personality. They did handle the competing comic book store scens pretty funny though. I think they handled Penny's proposal right and exactly what is was, a druken self loathing moment of weakness.

I did not like the dog thing when I saw it in the promo because I can't stand it when someone treats a small kid like a dog (which I have seen). In the actual episode I was OK with it because it was so hammed up by Jim making whining noises that it became like some old variety skit and could not be taken at all seriously. This is just Sheldon when he can't fulfill a compulsion. Who could fault Penny for treating Sheldon that way when that's the way he acted?

I don't know what was meant by "something you won't believe" but Sheldon supporting Penny was something I did not expect.

Harsh Bernadette is funny because she is so small and yet has such a big voice when mad but such a smurf voice most of the time. I can only image Melissa Rauch doing an impromptu Howard's Mother voice during a practice or even during her original audition and cracking everyone up. My guess is the writers include stuff that the actors have as natural talents.