The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imagine

Fake Laughter

fake laughter?  its called canned laughter and tbbt doesnt do that if they have to at all doctor the audience reactions they have to bring it down than bring it up.  every sitcom that is filmed in front of an audience has background laughter, how does that bother people still after 50 yrs??  I dont get it! we've seen someone (not successfully might i add) edit the laughter out of tbbt and it was boring.  what do you expect them to do (referring to the audience)?

Edited by Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

If you say so.... But I still continue to think they sometimes do it as I explained, because of the same laughter I heard in different episodes; this one, from exactly 0:44 to 0:46 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2wWB3WyQ8. I noticed it in some other scenes when I watched tons of BB vids on Youtube, but I don't remember where. I'll have to re-watch tons of vids xD

Ah, this video is not available to me in the UK, but it's quite possible that these distinctive laughs you hear are from regular taping attendees. I have only ever had one experience of a live studio taping and the Associate Director removed an audience member because they had such a distracting and off-putting laugh, which he deemed fake and exhibitionist (it sounded like a pig being slaughtered).

There are some generous and fabulous taping attendees on this forum, I wonder if they've ever experienced this or similar?

Pre-taped scenes are filmed without any audience. Right??

and then those scenes are shown to the audience later during the taping on screen and laughter is recorded (this is what I generally got from taping reports)

If so how do the actors know for what amount of time they should pause so that the laughter can be added? Or How exactly do they fit in the laughter between those scenes?

And is the recording for the dialogues by actors and audience laughter done though different machine(medium)??

Edited by vasu

Pre-taped scenes are filmed without any audience. Right??

and then those scenes are shown to the audience later during the taping on screen and laughter is recorded (this is what I generally got from taping reports)

If so how do the actors know for what amount of time they should pause so that the laughter can be added? Or How exactly do they fit in the laughter between those scenes?

And is the recording for the dialogues by actors and audience laughter done though different machine(medium)??

In editing those scenes that are not done live but pre tape they space it out so they can have some of the laughter in it.  Like I said the only doctoring they ever have to do it slice down the laughter or use certain laughter from that particular taping that fits better with that spacing.  Its a huge process and not easy unless you are a professional.  But know for sure it is the audience of THAT week's laughter, not canned.  If you watch like Friends or Home Improvement you will hear a certain individual laughing that seems to have been recorded and used in other shows.  I wish I could show you or explain but if you listen to the laughter only on TBBT you will never hear repeated certain laughings.  Do you get what I mean? Its hard to explain really.  :)

Edited by Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

I remember reading that with the pre-taped scenes, they have the writers, director, crew, etc., on hand and their laughter in those moments helps them with the timing. This is also true with rehearsals, although, if course, once the live audience is there, they may have to wait longer or adjust the timing of their lines.

You can see this in the blooper reels sometimes when a line gets a bigger or longer laugh than the actor is expecting and they have to wait longer and it throws them off a bit.

In editing those scenes that are not done live but pre tape they space it out so they can have some of the laughter in it.  Like I said the only doctoring they ever have to do it slice down the laughter or use certain laughter from that particular taping that fits better with that spacing.  Its a huge process and not easy unless you are a professional.  But know for sure it is the audience of THAT week's laughter, not canned.  If you watch like Friends or Home Improvement you will hear a certain individual laughing that seems to have been recorded and used in other shows.  I wish I could show you or explain but if you listen to the laughter only on TBBT you will never hear repeated certain laughings.  Do you get what I mean? Its hard to explain really.   :)

Does that really matter... :p

Does that really matter... :p

Yeah it actually does because its not considered 'canned laughter' and we've heard Bill defend the show not having canned laughter.  Other shows do the whole canned laughter thing and you can totally tell on some of the shows. If you go back and TBBT in previous seasons and this you will notice that none of the laughter is repeated.  

Edited by Shel_Ra_Ho_Le

So the laughter doesn't really bother me, but the thing about canned laughter in other countries is actually true. In our german dub, you can hear they don't use the live audience laughter because it is much louder and in some moments, when they changed the lines because they can't translate what someone said properly and it's not really funny anymore, they also use this laughter.

I also noticed that in some scenes, especially the ones with Shamy or when Sheldon hugs Penny for the first time, the live audience goes like ''Awww'' or whatever, but they dubbed it and they filled canned laughter in that really doesn't fit. That's kind of off-putting I think.

That could account for what some people seem to hear--if it's altered when it's broadcast in other countries due to dubbing and all of that.

But here on the original broadcasts, it's simply the laughter of the live audience.

They actually mix audience laughter with produced and sweetened laughing, so it's a combination of both. Think about that though if a sitcom had no laughing track, the comedy would be lost in translation, it's their too add subtly to the comedy. 

They actually mix audience laughter with produced and sweetened laughing, so it's a combination of both.

In the US or Canada, it is all audience reaction. Sweetening is using the laff-box.

They actually mix audience laughter with produced and sweetened laughing, so it's a combination of both. Think about that though if a sitcom had no laughing track, the comedy would be lost in translation, it's their too add subtly to the comedy.

No, they don't sweeten the audience reactions. The humor doesn't need to be "added to" because the audience is genuinely reacting to it.

Oh, I had to register just to answer this question!  

My husband and I went to the 2/19 taping tonight (well, last night, as it's now early morning and I'm still up reading Big Bang stuff - still wound up!).  

Prior to them starting to tape this week's show, they first showed us a new, unaired episode.  There are microphones hanging over the audience seats, all over.  The warm up guy said the purpose was to record our laughter, and they do this every week.  I presume that our laughter was either mixed in with the audience that was there live at that taping, or replaced it in parts, if it was "better" in some way.  

Then the taping started, and again, our laughter was recorded by the microphones over us.  When they did the scene a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th, etc) time, they reminded us to laugh just as strong as if we had never seen it before.  Also, there were 3 pre-recorded scenes, and one of them they showed us on the monitor while recording our laughter, and two of them, both of them with in-car settings, they actually had the actors re-enact the scene for us while sitting on folding chairs with this funny steering wheel on a stick thing so they could record our laughter.  

There were several occasions when the laughter was so loud that you couldn't hear what the actor was saying in his next line after the funny part.  I presume that in instances like that, that they might edit, or replace the laughter (from the audience that sees it on the monitors, versus live) with better laughter, if the shot was worth keeping.  But I don't think any of it is "boxed," or "fake," as they went to great extremes to make sure that they got our "strong laughter" recorded.  This terminology was used repeatedly.  Otherwise, why bother?  Whether it will be our laughter or the laughter from the audience that sees it on the screen, or mixed together, it's all real, Big Bang Theory Audience laughter. 

Just in case there are any naysayers to my testimony, the unaired episode we saw prior to the taping is about the dining room table and Howard possibly going back to space, and the the episode that they taped is about Penny's car breaking down, Raj looking for love online, and Sheldon going to Houston with Howard.

• Like 2

Oh, the other thing I wanted to say last night, but forgot - in the unaired episode that they showed us on the monitors before the live taping started, you could hear laughter from the audience that was there the night that episode was taped.  But it sounded louder than what you'd hear when watching the show on your tv at home, and it sounded...raw.  That's the only way I can think to describe it.  It's obvious that they do some editing to the laughter based on this, but they really do have to - it could otherwise be too loud, or not loud enough, or too long, as I mentioned above in some cases where we were still laughing but the actor had started speaking again, and we couldn't hear him/her because of the continuing laughter. 

psykoshr00m,   Your post was deleted as it was an attack on the member.  

Just to let you know, that poster, along with several others here,  have been in the audience when the episodes were taped.  In some cases, they have gone multiple times. So, yes, that is real laughter.  

On 1/11/2014 at 9:46 AM, FrenchBBTfan said:

I never said they used a machine. They use real laughter to make fake laughter.

Let me explain: they have used the same real audience laughter for different episodes, and I could prove it if I had time. They don't do this systematically, only for some scenes. Sometimes, the audience reacts too loudly, like you said, and they have to tone it down, but the opposite must be true: sometimes they feel like they need to add laughter, and they use real laughter from previous tapings or moments.

Using real laughter makes "fake" laughter seem more genuine...

Anyways, apart from that, I maintain that it is too loud. But maybe that's how you attract more viewers...

There are two reasons you might hear the "same" laugh in more than one episode.

1. Some episodes, which cannot be filmed in front of an audience (outdoor/location stuff), the episode is played back for an audience right before they record the current episode. So the audience is the same audience.

2. Some people try (and succeed) in attending MANY episode tapings. Of course, these people are superfans and will tend to laugh at even minute things.

Everyone has an opinion.

Only the editors truly know what they do with the audio track for final production.
I would suspect that even though they record many "takes" with various levels of laughter - at the end of the day, the editor has resources (laff tracks) to utilize in order to fine tune the laughter to whatever level they are trying to achieve.

I absolutely loved the first 3 seasons of the show - but now I can't stand the way they have changed it.
One of the things that I disliked is that around the end of the 3rd season or so, there was a (noticeable) increase in the amount of "enhanced/pushed" laughter.  It was almost as if every time somebody moved, or made a facial expression - there was laughter.

Clearly, not everything always has to be funny - or even if it is, does not result in actually laughing out loud.
TV producers are trying to compel viewers to believe that what they are watching is funny.
They use imposed laughter as a way to subliminally and even overtly convince you of that.

Yes, the over-use of laughter in this and practically (all) sitcoms is a problem that insults your intelligence and gets on your nerves.

15 minutes ago, bloodless said:

Only the editors truly know what they do with the audio track for final production.

People from this forum go to the tapings, some of them have literally heard themselves on the tapings, including one girl who about screamed her lungs out of her body at the 9x10 and 9x11 tapings - so yes we do know :)

There is a warm up comedian who keeps the audience going during the filming so that they are on top form. Kaley and Johnny also speak to the fans during the show so I'd imagine the atmosphere is somewhat similar to a concert and that people laugh a little more than they would if they were watching at home. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bloodless said:

Everyone has an opinion.

I would suspect that even though they record many "takes" with various levels of laughter - at the end of the day, the editor has resources (laff tracks) to utilize in order to fine tune the laughter to whatever level they are trying to achieve.

Bill Prady flat out stated they don't sweeten the laughter with a laff box.  Do the use different takes?  Sure.  Do the edit the laughter?  Sure, a member that attended 7.23 said the cheering went on for 10 minutes after the proposal, not something you can leave as is, same with the laughter.  

Multiple people here and not on this forum have repeated said if a joke doesn't work, it's rewritten, no need to add laughter.  Not to mention as the cut to different shots, within a scene, they have to edit the laughter, the actual vocals, and any other sounds they may be using. But, as Bill says, they don't sweeten the laughter.  

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 2:09 PM, bloodless said:

Everyone has an opinion.

I absolutely loved the first 3 seasons of the show - but now I can't stand the way they have changed it.
One of the things that I disliked is that around the end of the 3rd season or so, there was a (noticeable) increase in the amount of "enhanced/pushed" laughter.  It was almost as if every time somebody moved, or made a facial expression - there was laughter.

Clearly, not everything always has to be funny - or even if it is, does not result in actually laughing out loud.
TV producers are trying to compel viewers to believe that what they are watching is funny.
They use imposed laughter as a way to subliminally and even overtly convince you of that.

Yes, the over-use of laughter in this and practically (all) sitcoms is a problem that insults your intelligence and gets on your nerves.

When people laugh at something you don't think is funny, it's simply the audience reacting to what they're seeing or hearing.  As Einstein said, it's a bit of a heightened atmosphere, so people are jazzed up and ready to laugh.  And sometimes an expression may be funny because of what may have happened on a previous take or a BTS moment or whatever.

Or maybe they just find it funny.

• Like 1