Choosing the "Essential Five"

Steve

My enthusiasm for TBBT rubbing off on people around me. But more than once I've been asked by friends who've never yet watched the show to set up an evening of watching a few episodes to "catch them up" before the new season. So here's my question: which 4-5 episodes do I show them if I want them to get a sense of who the characters were at the beginning and how things have developed over two seasons? And then, to make it even more difficult, what if I can only show them 3? I presume that I show the Pilot episode, right? Where do I go from there? Steve

For five episodes, I'd choose: Pilot, The Big Bran Hypothesis, The Tangerine Factor, The Panty Pinata Polarization, The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis. I feel those episodes are not just very funny, but also tend to move the Leonard/Penny or Sheldon/Penny storyline along. With just three, I'd go for: Pilot, The Tangerine Factor & The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis.

I was thinking of adding Middle-Earth Paradigm to the Leonard/Penny sequence. I love the Leonard/Penny scene on the couch when he refuses to take advantage of her -- really a major turning point for them, I think. And then there's the delightful moment of Sheldon trying to offer tea and sympathy ("There there was really all I had..."). On top of which, that episode is freakin' hilarious. However, another character development thread that I would love to include is Penny becoming "one of the gang". That means Dead H00ker Juxtaposition ("Like in Star Trek when they raise the shields ... where the hell did that come from?!"), which also provides some wonderful Sheldon/Penny bits ("I was talking about bees! What were you talking about?"). Steve (can't choose, can't choose ...) Steve

Well, it kind of depends which part of the show do you think your friends will relate to most, the geek factor, the friendship factor, the romance factor...? Since you like the Penny-Leonard-storyarc, I'd replace The Nerdvana Anihilation in my list with your Middle-Earth-Paradigm choice. It is a good episode and has good scenes on all levels. As for Penny becoming one of the gang, I'd stick with the Panty-Pinata-Polarization, Leonard saying "congratulations, you're officially one of us", Howard "one of us, one of us". In the Dead-H-Juxtaposition I found Leonard extremely annoying the way he treated Penny. Whatever you do, just take care that your friends get an image of Sheldon's character before they see episodes like "The Panty-Pinata" one otherwise they'll get the wrong impression and go for Shenny, and I'd really try to avoid this ;) ! Good luck!

LOL! Of course, I would probably stop watching the show if the Sheldon/Penny relationship went in a romantic direction. It strikes me as odd that people who see the Leonard/Penny relationship as improbable and forced would then think that Sheldon/Penny is somehow more logical. Talk about improbable and forced! What's wrong with two characters having a complex, interesting, delightful relationship without it being romantic? Steve (faintly annoyed that he knows the name of the fifth episode of S3 but not the fourth ... it's not logical!)

Oh, I'll let y'all know. This will be next weekend when I fly down to spend a few days with my girlfriend in Dallas. She's promised not to watch the premier tonight and wait for me to catch her up when I'm there. She saw the pilot with me two weeks ago and loved it, so I think we're off to a good start. If she didn't like TBBT ... well, that would be a deal-breaker, sort of like not agreeing on the string theory vs. loop quantum gravity thing. Steve

Haha, better be careful, it could backfire! I'm much more addicted to the show than my man is. I constantly use quotes and he doesn't remember them, so I tease him with it. And we both started to say "don't be so Sheldon" to each other when one of us doesn't wanna give in :icon_cheesygrin:

Hey, gang! Just flew back from Dallas where we had a TBBT marathon over the weekend. We watched more than just five episodes leading into Monday night, and I can say that now my girlfriend is just as excited about the show as I am. Okay, that's not true -- she's a fan, I'm a serious wackadoodle. Thanks for all the help with suggestions. Good choices! Steve