7.14 "the Convention Conundrum" (January 30)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Wow, Carrie Fisher got old. James Earl Jones was funny, I like how he overwhelmed Sheldon instead of Sheldon overwhelming him.

The girls plot was interesting, they actually said the guys not acting mature meant they had more fun. I wonder if that is a hint the girls might get more nerdy, that would spice up the show.

• Like 2

Great episode tonight. I enjoyed Sheldon and James Earl Jones hanging out and loved seeing them sing “In The Jungle”  and loved seeing the girls plot as well that could be a sign that could be a hint the girls might get more nerdy since that might spice up the show a bit more. Also loved seeing Carrie Fisher as well.
And I do have a feeling that James Earl Jones is going to earn an Emmy nomination or win the Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in A Comedy Series with this episode.
Edited by JoeSal90
  • Like 3

Review from The AV Club:

http://www.avclub.com/review/the-convention-conundrum-107400

From ZAP2it:

'Big Bang Theory' Season 7, episode 14: 12 best moments from James Earl Jones and 'The Convention Conundrum'

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2014/01/big-bang-theory-season-7-episode-14-12-best-moments-from-james-earl-jones-and-the-convention-conundr.html

Just watched it brilliant episode felt like the old days, it was so geeky loved it. Thought Penny stole the episode though, her response to Bernadette saying if being grown up was based on having sex, she would be the oldest here "Hey don't speak to your Mother like that" lol!. Kaley really is so underrated the fact she hasen't been nominated for an emmy, she makes it look so easy and seemless. Saw a bit of old perky, independent Penny. Thought the whole Comic Con thing was really funny, reminded of the old days, but it was done with a realistic tone, they are growing up but still have interests in geek culture. Overall A for the episode. 

• Like 4

could anyone make out the bottom lines on Sheldon's board? I can't quite read the last word in each.

"Anyone who played uncle ???"

"Anyone who shot uncle ???"

Oh wait! Uncle Ben!

Edited by gsxdoug
  • Like 3

I thought the episode was good but not the best I have ever seen.  The parts with Sheldon and James Earl Jones were really good, in fact I thought this was the best part of the show.  I did not think that Penny stole the show.  In fact, I thought that all they did was show Penny to be lazy and irresponsible.  I know the whole part about having to put on clean underwear and then going by Target to buy some was suppose to be funny but all it really showed was a 28 year old woman who is to lazy to do her laundry.  Then you add in the part about her not wanting to have to worry about insurance, mortgage, listening to her confess about hit and running Bernadette's car or watching her sit there while Bernadette and Amy are paying the check.  This quite different from the Penny in season 2 who hated borrowing money from Sheldon.  Sometimes they really do not show Penny in a very positive light.     

As for the part with Leonard, Howard and Raj trying to get scalped tickets, I thought it was o.k. but it was the highlight of the episode IMO, especially the last scene where they were simply quietly hiding in the dark.  The Best part of the night was Sheldon and James Earl Jones IMO.  I really liked the part with Carrie Fisher.  However, the best part was when Sheldon asked how much would cost to get the stripper off his lap.  I can only imagine the look on his face when that happened. 

• Like 1

I thought the episode was good but not the best I have ever seen.  The parts with Sheldon and James Earl Jones were really good, in fact I thought this was the best part of the show.  I did not think that Penny stole the show.  In fact, I thought that all they did was show Penny to be lazy and irresponsible.  I know the whole part about having to put on clean underwear and then going by Target to buy some was suppose to be funny but all it really showed was a 28 year old woman who is to lazy to do her laundry.  Then you add in the part about her not wanting to have to worry about insurance, mortgage, listening to her confess about hit and running Bernadette's car or watching her sit there while Bernadette and Amy are paying the check.  This quite different from the Penny in season 2 who hated borrowing money from Sheldon.  Sometimes they really do not show Penny in a very positive light.     

As for the part with Leonard, Howard and Raj trying to get scalped tickets, I thought it was o.k. but it was the highlight of the episode IMO, especially the last scene where they were simply quietly hiding in the dark.  The Best part of the night was Sheldon and James Earl Jones IMO.  I really liked the part with Carrie Fisher.  However, the best part was when Sheldon asked how much would cost to get the stripper off his lap.  I can only imagine the look on his face when that happened. 

I think your taking what Penny says too seriousley and at face value, this does not mean she is lazy and irresponsible. I think taking jokes as a part of their character is not the point, buying clean underwear was a gag, does not mean she actually is lazy in that aspect of her life. 

• Like 1

I think you wrote what I was thinking. I'm not sure where all the love is coming from for this episode.

In fact, I thought that all they did was show Penny to be lazy and irresponsible.  I know the whole part about having to put on clean underwear and then going by Target to buy some was suppose to be funny but all it really showed was a 28 year old woman who is to lazy to do her laundry.  Then you add in the part about her not wanting to have to worry about insurance, mortgage, listening to her confess about hit and running Bernadette's car or watching her sit there while Bernadette and Amy are paying the check.  This quite different from the Penny in season 2 who hated borrowing money from Sheldon.  Sometimes they really do not show Penny in a very positive light.     

I think we may be starting to see the repercussions of Penny quiting TCF, she has no money.

I think you wrote what I was thinking. I'm not sure where all the love is coming from for this episode.

Well it depends who watching it, you diddn't love it fine but I thought it was a classic BBT episode.

• Like 1

I think your taking what Penny says too seriousley and at face value, this does not mean she is lazy and irresponsible. I think taking jokes as a part of their character is not the point, buying clean underwear was a gag, does not mean she actually is lazy in that aspect of her life. 

And Bernadette didn't have clean underwear either.

And Bernadette didn't have clean underwear either.

Bernadette also said she still feels like she is pretending when it comes to being grown up, and she referenced her clothes, does this also make her lazy irresponsible, no it's just a part of her identity just like Penny. 

• Like 1

Bernadette also said she still feels like she is pretending when it comes to being grown up, and she referenced her clothes, does this also make her lazy irresponsible, no it's just a part of her identity just like Penny. 

My point exactly :good:

Well it depends who watching it, you diddn't love it fine but I thought it was a classic BBT episode.

This would have been funny in season 2 . But as navy and others pointed out this is a woman who fought for her independence. Now she's getting free drinks from friends because apparently she has to. SRAM is right about this being the effect of quitting TCF. The underwear joke didn't bother me but I also didn't think it was funny. Maybe if a teen age boy said it. In regards to classic BBT IMO you can't expect something from 100 episodes ago to be funny now. Life moves on even on TV.

Bernadette was referencing her size not reality. In reality she is a grown up. Penny was at the bar referencing being a grown up. Unfortunately by the examples she gave she's not.