The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.14 "the Convention Conundrum" (January 30)

Your Episode Rating  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I am not a Star Wars fan, and since the only time I saw Star Wars wasn't in English, the original voice of Darth Vader means nothing to me. Yet, I was looking forward to see this episode which sounded so fun, and I haven't been disappointed!

I loved Sheldon in this episode, and not only with JEJ, but his crying in the fridge, and his humming the Star Wars theme cracked me up!

The moment on the ferris Wheel was even funnier in the episode than in the promo, I love the big teddy bear, I expect it to be in Sheldon's room now!

Shirtless Sheldon was yummy, too bad for the towel around his neck.

The boys shaking out of fear in S/L's apartment was also really hilarious, and once again Howard had very good lines with his Pepto which he pretends to drink from the bottle.

the scènes with the girls were just OK, and I'm sorry to say that I must be a horrible person, because Penny's story about the person who had Fallen in front of her made me laugh out lout. I suppose that when someone is falling in front of you, moreover when it's in a particuliar ridiculous way, you usually laugh before feeling concerned about the person's well being.

Not an excellent episode, but a really good one IMO.

• Like 1

I was saying, someone should gif the guys hitting refresh because that's like us here with the taping reports :p

I did already :p

I loved JEJ, the rest of the cast/episode seem rather bland in comparison.......

Hero worshipping Sheldon is quite a jarring change from "normal" Sheldon

I laughed at the walker joke, reminds me of this:

Edited by Disgusted

The writers did Penny no favors this episode.   She sat looking unhappy continuing to purse her lips as she has been doing so much in the past few episodes. There was nothing of the happy Penny, except when telling the bad old person story and most of agree that she  came across very bad in that.

I also remember that Amy noted that P. spent as much on a dress recently as L. spent on the scalped tickets. Interesting point but certainly put in to let us know that  she is wasting what money she does have.  What was her reason?? The dress was going to take her places.....interesting if you think about it.

And of course, B  and  A paid for her, but B did get a point in about  the check should be split three ways.

• Like 1

Agreed. But I think the writers put some of those lines in their for the laughs and without any deep meaning.

I agree that the writers more than likely put some of those lines in for laughs without any deep meaning..  However, the lines were not that funny.  They actually made Penny look shallow.  IMO the writing this year has not been that good.  I did enjoy some of the earlier episodes this year but recently it has not been that good.  And as for what the writers have done with Penny, I think that they are making the character to look very foolish.  I do not like what they have done with her.   

The B/H marriage looked bleak with B speaking of H as if he was a child-------an advance on his allowance( Doesn't a grown man who works for a living get to keep is own money or does he need his mother to take ihs money and give him back some so that he doesn't waste it like a child?) and  won't pick up his toys now that he already has his allowance.

Memo to writers---- With the size of her breasts, B. can't get her clothes at Gap Kid. Sorry that one didn't work.

The B/H marriage looked bleak with B speaking of H as if he was a child-------an advance on his allowance( Doesn't a grown man who works for a living get to keep is own money or does he need his mother to take ihs money and give him back some so that he doesn't waste it like a child?) and  won't pick up his toys now that he already has his allowance.

Do you not recall that Bernadette now keeps a tight grip on their money, thanks to Howard blowing a huge chunk of it on a custom action figure and a 3D printer in "The Cooper/Kripke Inversion"? Bernadette will stop treating Howard like a child when he stops acting like one.

Memo to writers---- With the size of her breasts, B. can't get her clothes at Gap Kid. Sorry that one didn't work.

:icon_rolleyes:

• Like 2

Ohhh I loved that episode! I love love love Star Wars (the old movies! The new ones were okay, but the old ones are legendary!).

James Earl Jones was hilarious! The scenes of him and Sheldon were really funny!

For me this was one of my favourite episodes of the current season.

Too bad Carrie Fisher's scene was quite short! It was hilarious anyway. :girldance:

The girl's plot was ok, but not the best imo. It was awesome to see Amy's tiara anyway! :girlsmile:

Do you not recall that Bernadette now keeps a tight grip on their money, thanks to Howard blowing a huge chunk of it on a custom action figure and a 3D printer in "The Cooper/Kripke Inversion"? Bernadette will stop treating Howard like a child when he stops acting like one.

:icon_rolleyes:

And apparently that hasn't happened.  and don;t expect much more in the future.

Oh...you never noticed the size of her breasts???

I don't expect it, either. There's more humor to be mined from Howard and the boys acting like kids than there is from them acting like responsible adults.

And no, silly, I haven't missed Bernadette's "ample bosom." I was rolling my eyes at yet another example of someone taking a throwaway joke far too seriously.

• Like 2

Bernadette will stop treating Howard like a child when he stops acting like one.

Insert "whipped" phone app sound effect here. :suicide:

• Like 1

Howard got the money back from raj though so idk why he needs an allowance now

It doesn't matter that he got the money back (which Bernadette made him do, by the way; remember, he didn't see anything wrong with what he did), it's the fact that Howard's behavior hasn't changed that matters. It's obvious that until that happens, Bernadette can't trust him with a lot of money. Remember, she makes a lot more than he does, which gives Howard much temptation to throw it away on more and more outrageously expensive stuff (like the 3D printer). Someone has to be the responsible one in that relationship, and if Howard isn't up to the task, Bernadette has to take the reins, even if that means putting Howard on a tight monetary leash.

Edited by Martin Pollard

I don't expect it, either. There's more humor to be mined from Howard and the boys acting like kids than there is from them acting like responsible adults.

And no, silly, I haven't missed Bernadette's "ample bosom." I was rolling my eyes at yet another example of someone taking a throwaway joke far too seriously.

Yea.....a laugh about her breasts  fitting into kids clothes is taking it "far too seriously".

Another example of someone who takes himself  and his views on a TV show far too seriously.

JEJ was wonderful as a guest and I would love to see him return. Loved Sheldon and JEJ together as well.  Wonderful fun!  :laugh:

I thought the rest of the stories were sort of "meh".  I thought the boys were stronger story still than the girls.  The girl story just didn't seem to work well.   Although Mayim always delivers.  She was really good in her scenes, just the material wasn't very strong for the girls.   Penny was sort of butchered in the girl scenes starting with the comment about dirty underwear to the laughing at the old man falling and being unconscious and then being told that Bernie must be her daughter.   It was sort of dumping on her character a lot.   I felt kind of bad for Penny and really thought they made her look very bad about the comment about the old man.   Poor taste there.  :nono:

What I did like about the girls was that each of them were wearing gifts their boyfriends/husband had given them.   That was really cool.  Also the fact that they learned that doing "grown up things" does not make you feel grown up.  Do we ever truly feel grown up?   :unsure:

But even the 'meh' story could not take away from the powerhouse combination of Sheldon and JEJ!   That was really well done.  JEJ was hilarious!   And then there was the lovely eye candy for us fangirls

tumblr_n08xyiPNlk1rd2ot9o3_500.png

And of course I agree with you...thank you Melody.. I only want to add that Sheldon in sauna.... mmmhhmmm  momma...to many towels though Shelly this one covering your chest  is redundant...I just laughed at ... JEJ and Shelly singing .. "In the jungle..." ... Shelly with his high pitched voice... hilarious :laugh:

... and ... wow  Shelly has got "lap dance" in stripp club...I love that line "how much did I have to pay her to get her off my lap" LOL well I would love to see that... :girlhaha: anyway... thanks lovely... for catching my thoughts...

Edited by silverangel
  • Like 1

Credit to JEJ for being completely shameless ....

"Bring it on Mufasa" ---enjoyed that part as it is from my favourite animated movie series ever

but unfortunately that and a few(one or two lines) were funny...the rest of it was pretty bland...

First JEJ was a big child then he became a slightly sleazy party guy....I get that this was an episode build for JEJ to act silly but atleast be consistent....... and Sheldon's convention clearly would be forgotten by the next episode..

Will Sheldon now see that his heroes on TV are flawed humans like everyone else......nah...this is just a one off episode..

The guys think about breaking rules ....but finally cannot as they are cowards.....atleast they could have shown us who the scalper was a twist(some celebrity or stuart)

And girls plot was mehh...the idea was good but went no where and the jokes were rather same old same old

The girls and boys plot was clearly filler stuff for other filler stuff going on in the episode

It doesn't matter that he got the money back (which Bernadette made him do, by the way; remember, he didn't see anything wrong with what he did), it's the fact that Howard's behavior hasn't changed that matters. It's obvious that until that happens, Bernadette can't trust him with a lot of money. Remember, she makes a lot more than he does, which gives Howard much temptation to throw it away on more and more outrageously expensive stuff (like the 3D printer). Someone has to be the responsible one in that relationship, and if Howard isn't up to the task, Bernadette has to take the reins, even if that means putting Howard on a tight monetary leash.

They don't have any responsibilities like children to pay for though (thankfully)

If its his own money then he should be able to do what he likes with it jmo

Did anyone else feel that the laugh-track/audience laughter was a little over the top in this episode....??

They don't have any responsibilities like children to pay for though (thankfully)

If its his own money then he should be able to do what he likes with it jmo

My mistake, I thought that marriage was a partnership of sharing and mutual respect, not "that's yours and this is mine, I'll do whatever the hell I like and you can't stop me." How foolish of me. ;)

I rated it as Good, mainly because of the opening scene. Vintage TBBT.

JEJ was very good as was Carrie Fisher in her cameo.

The guys storyline was pretty good.

The girls scene was just cookie-cutter material that could be put into any other sitcom/romcom. Does Bernadette really have to give Howard an allowance? This the second time they've implied that they're living off her income. Howard is an engineer with a Master's, not a cashier at White Castle. He must make a pretty good salary, surely enough to afford a ticket to a comic book convention. 

Overall a good episode.

Did anyone else feel that the laugh-track/audience laughter was a little over the top in this episode....??

I noticed it during the initial Sheldon/JEJ scene. Seemed too loud and not natural.

Edited by djvang

I love that the episode pretty much subverted expectations with the Sheldon/JEJ interactions.  I remember seeing lots of comments--and here, too, I think--when news first came out that JEJ would be doing an episode that Sheldon was going to be getting another restraining order for his collection, etc.

But as, koops, I think, said, it was really funny that in the end it was Sheldon who started thinking that JEJ was the weirdo one, rather than JEJ thinking that about SHeldon.  Sheldon was certainly happy to hang out with JEJ, but he didn't know how far it would go, etc.  And JEJ was acting like Sheldon was his new best friend, rather than the way most celebrities might put up with an overly enthusiastic fan while secretly hoping they'd go away. :p

And I don't think anyone should take the jokes in the girls' scenes too seriously nor try to read too much into it.  Penny is never going to be the prim head of the PTA or whatever and the girls have now gotten to the point where they can laugh and poke fun at each other and themselves, the way the guys do.  The point of their conversation was the question about what it is that makes you immature or a grown-up--is it age, sex, marriage, job?  All of those things can be flipped on their heads in this very episode--look at JEJ!  He's the oldest one in the episode and he's doing all kinds of crazy, childish things--eating a banana split like a kid, going to a carnival (and I'm sure he's the one who won that giant bear for Sheldon), ding-dong-ditching, etc..  And the guys have "grown-up" jobs, but it hasn't turned them into fuddy-duddies.

So what is it that makes one a grown-up?

I think that they are all both mature and immature in different ways and at different times in their everyday lives--even Penny.

But no matter how old you are (JEJ!), it doesn't mean that you can't give in to your fun side.

• Like 3