The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.14 "the Convention Conundrum" (January 30)

Your Episode Rating  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I enjoyed it, especially the parts with JEJ, who I think did nothing to damage his dignity. He was an utter delight this episode, and in some ways I wish it had been all about him, because that storyline just overshadowed the others. It's tough when they break the show into 3 plot lines, and I'm not sure that either the girls going to tea or the boys trying to be bad asses and failing was that compelling. Not awful, just the JEJ part was so silly and goofy. Sheldon and JEJ were running around like wild men. The separate gender groups were sitting on their asses. Having the constrast of manic action to no action, just discussion, made the non-action seem a lot more tame than I might have found it in a different episode.

My only big quibble is this: Sheldon and JEJ had a long night. What sauna is open at like 2 in the morning? Are they in some upscale gym that's open 24/7?

As for Penny's line: I'm not necessarily fond of people who laugh when others fall down, but I know some people do and can't help it. I sometimes have a nervous habit of giggling when people go insane and start yelling, or have temper tantrums. (Which never makes the temper tantrum better, by the way.) It's not something I can really control. In any case, the way Kaley delivered the lines, I felt she was making a confession, and she felt bad, even a bit confused with herself, for laughing. In her defense, it sounded like a rather funny fall, which happens. I don't think it's worth throwing Penny under the bus for, since she clearly already felt bad about it.

• Like 7

Come on this is Big Bang Theory guys in their mid 20's into comic books, are we really surprised no ones grown up in this show lol, they may look grown up but does anyone ever feel grown up, everyone has their inner child.

That's the best point I heard yet. Kind of sheds a little light on JEJ's performance. He was always a presence I took so seriously that the 180 to total goofiness seemed over the top. Maybe not though since you put it that way. Maybe they were showing him as an approachable goofy guy just like the others. Thanks for your insight.

There was a lot to like about this episode.  The writers hit it out of the park with JEJ.  The theme of maturity was great, and tied all three stories together in a way we don't normally see on TBBT.

This season I'm loving the relationship between Amy and Penny.  Amy has moved past idolizing Penny and now is able to tease her like two friends on equal footing.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but the fact that JEJ is older and "should be" more mature and wiser YET he acted as if he was five merely stating that age and maturity have little to do with each other.

Did we get a "the more you know" lesson?

tumblr_n052scZ23H1rffyeho1_500.jpg

I don't remember seeing this scene in the episode....did I miss something??

I don't remember seeing this scene in the episode....did I miss something??

I think it was just a promo shot, just like they did with JEJ telling that he's not Sheldon's father etc.

JEJ was great , to bad did not see a lot of carrie( :cray:

the girls banter was not to the high standers as allways

how can simon not win a award.

it was good-very good

I am confuse:

*The people who laugh when they see someone falling down, do they laugh too when they see a child falling down? Or it is only funny when an adult fall down in public? because in an adult, there is the possibility that he/she can break a bone/hurt hard...and if it is an old person? is that funny too? I just saw even a 40s year old man falling down in the street and it is not funny at all guys :(

*Why there are so much small girls in that tea hall? is that like the ballet that girls like a lot? I don´t know but I feel this is the American idea about drinking tea as "a lady"(if it is not please tell me) ... That looked like more a birthday party than a tea house. In these places what we can see more is old ladies :)

*Sheldon sharing ice cream with another person (not Amy)?? Is that because he is more "mature" now? For me this is only a little bit disgusting/crappy :) and in the sauna?? OMG I never thought I will see this scene in TBBT :D you know, to share the room with another man/person wearing only a towel and sweating and sweating...I think Sheldon´s "pants for wearing in the bus" are retired now :(

I think Penny was confessing--and felt bad that she had had that "immature" reaction, but even in retelling the story, she couldn't help laughing.  But she was telling on herself, saying that she lacked maturity and that was an example.

It wasn't a "tea hall"--I don't think we really have anything like that here in the States.  It was more like a special event at a hotel restaurant.  And in the states, we don't really have formal teas unless they're part of special occasion.  Like a luncheon or a reception may sometimes be done like a formal tea, but it's not a common thing.  And playing "tea party" is considered a little girl thing.  There are play tea sets with pretend cookies or pretend cakes, maybe made of plastic, where you "play tea party".  So this event at the hotel was apparently set up so that mothers could take their little girls to have a "real" tea party, not intended to be a formal tea event for grownups.

I think that Sheldon would do just about anything with any of his favorite celebrities.  And he and JEJ were eating from the opposite ends of the banana split, not really mixing their germs.  I think it was just supposed to highlight how smitten he was with JEJ.  And going to the sauna (and the strip club) were intended to show Sheldon just kind of going along with everything JEJ wanted to do.  Sheldon would never have gone to the strip club on his own, and probably would never have gone to the sauna, either, but he was following JEJ around for fun, but ultimately so that he would have a chance to ask him to do his SheldonCon.  (And it's not as if he was sharing a towel with anyone or touching anyone else.  I think as long as he was wrapped in his own towels, Sheldon would be okay.)

Sheldon's germaphobia/touchphobia probably is a concept that now only comes around when they go for cheap jokes like when they were at the hospital with Berni.

And it will probably keep on fluctuating as the series goes on.....

He accepts/asks for cookies from other people , sits naked in other people's car wiggling his butt, puts on their masks , puts a toy train in his mouth... a far cry from the guy who banished Penny for touching the onion ring.

• Like 3

I wish they would stop with the underwear and Penny is a slut jokes... lame,utterly predictable and gross..

• Like 4

I wish they would stop with the underwear and Penny is a slut jokes... lame,utterly predictable and gross..

Don't blame Penny for that, she is not making the jokes, it's the writer's who are giving the jokes to Mayiam and Mellisa. 

Don't blame Penny for that, she is not making the jokes, it's the writer's who are giving the jokes to Mayiam and Mellisa. 

Really?  Don't blame Penny, it's the writers?????  You do realize that Penny is a fictional character created by the writers and who only says and does what the writers decide she is going to say and do, right? 

• Like 3

It's a fact that she's the most sexually experienced of the three of them, so Bernie's quip is simply based on that, and Penny has a pretty mild reaction--and it's the kind of joke that she herself often makes. That that fact makes you deem her a slut (which no one on the show has ever called her) says more about your judgment of her than the writers'.

And the dirty underwear joke is about her housekeeping, not about her personally. It's like the one where she didn't have any clean clothes until she went out and bought new clothes (because she hadn't done laundry, not because she just randomly wears dirty clothes.)

I don't think any of it was lame, predictable or gross. Some running jokes are simply tied to a character's established nature.

It's a fact that she's the most sexually experienced of the three of them, so Bernie's quip is simply based on that, and Penny has a pretty mild reaction--and it's the kind of joke that she herself often makes. That that fact makes you deem her a slut (which no one on the show has ever called her) says more about your judgment of her than the writers'.

The fact that you took the "Penny is slut jokes" as me stating that Penny is a slut as a fact says more about your understanding/judgement of my post which clearly is not what I intended for(I think many would agree)

And the dirty underwear joke is about her housekeeping, not about her personally. It's like the one where she didn't have any clean clothes until she went out and bought new clothes (because she hadn't done laundry, not because she just randomly wears dirty clothes.)

Did I say underwear joke is about Penny personally. Again this says more about your poor understanding/judgement of my post

I don't think any of it was lame, predictable or gross.

I think they are lame ,predictable and gross.

Some running jokes are simply tied to a character's established nature.

Really.... did you even read my post , why did I say I wish they would stop with all those cheap jokes... If you did not understand......here it goes again......what I implied was stop this running gag .... you know those running jokes which are simply tied to character's established nature.

:suicide:

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

The fact that you took the "Penny is slut jokes" as me stating that Penny is a slut as a fact says more about your understanding/judgement of my post which clearly is not what I intended for(I think many would agree)

Did I say underwear joke is about Penny personally. Again this says more about your poor understanding/judgement of my post

I think they are lame ,predictable and gross.

Really.... did you even read my post , why did I say I wish they would stop with all those cheap jokes... If you did not understand......here it goes again......what I implied was stop this running gag .... you know those running jokes which are simply tied to character's established nature.

:suicide:

EXACTLY

It wasn't a "tea hall"--I don't think we really have anything like that here in the States.  It was more like a special event at a hotel restaurant.  And in the states, we don't really have formal teas unless they're part of special occasion.  Like a luncheon or a reception may sometimes be done like a formal tea, but it's not a common thing.  And playing "tea party" is considered a little girl thing.  There are play tea sets with pretend cookies or pretend cakes, maybe made of plastic, where you "play tea party".  So this event at the hotel was apparently set up so that mothers could take their little girls to have a "real" tea party, not intended to be a formal tea event for grownups.

Thank you. I understand. And I can see I was little bit right thinking this is an American point of view about tea meetings :) When they said about drinking tea as adult women do I imagined they meaned as British women do, and in some other countries like my country they do too. Here Children will drink soft drinks only in a party/meeting for sure :)

Really?  Don't blame Penny, it's the writers?????  You do realize that Penny is a fictional character created by the writers and who only says and does what the writers decide she is going to say and do, right? 

Not sure why your getting so hostile, but your entire post is exactly the point I was trying to make, that the writers are not giving Kaley the slut jokes, they are giving them to Mayaim and Mellissa, I am just saying it is not a reflection of the character of Penny, but the writers, and yes I get the writers can give any lines they want to the characeters, take a deep breath now. Their are a lot of posters on this site who have a neptic mentality when it comes to posting, you can't have an opinion without being threaded down, and made too feel stupid for even suggesting that oh I don't know if the writer's stop giving slut jokes to Mayain and Mellissa, the Penny slut jokes would stop. But apparently I'm the idiot, because I wasen't aware Penny is a ficitional character, and she doesen't come up with the words her self, oh thanks for that if you never told me that I would never know.

Edited by 3ku11

We talked about Amy's comment that P. spent $100s  on a "little dress". I at  first thought it was important because she apparently had little money yet spent it on something she did not need. However, I watched the  show again last night  and her comment that  the dress will take her places was pretty interesting...almost like the magic beans in Jack and the Beanstalk.

So  does Penny see this dress as the answer to all her problems?  She does have a number of little dresses that we have seen her look wonderful in, yet she invested quite a bit of money in her "magic" dress.  We don't know what Penny is doing or has done to further her career.  Has she signed up for more lesson, pictures etc?? Or  does she see herself showing up in this dress and getting parts because the dress looks so good on her?

The line was odd

We talked about Amy's comment that P. spent $100s on a "little dress". I at first thought it was important because she apparently had little money yet spent it on something she did not need. However, I watched the show again last night and her comment that the dress will take her places was pretty interesting...almost like the magic beans in Jack and the Beanstalk.

So does Penny see this dress as the answer to all her problems? She does have a number of little dresses that we have seen her look wonderful in, yet she invested quite a bit of money in her "magic" dress. We don't know what Penny is doing or has done to further her career. Has she signed up for more lesson, pictures etc?? Or does she see herself showing up in this dress and getting parts because the dress looks so good on her?

The line was odd

I really don't think the dress is as important as people are making it out to be. I think it was more of a throwaway line in that they simply used it to compare to the CC tickets--both cost lots of money, but one would get you into one event while the other was good for more.

If you do want to make more of it, you could look at it this way--a dress has lots of uses. It could get her in to see someone in the business--a director, a casting agent, etc., that could help her get a chance at an audition. While it's not about Penny getting a part simply because someone was impressed by her figure, being attractive can go a long way for an actress in terms of being considered for a part.

I'm sure the dress could also get her in the door at a restaurant or a club, etc..

So, it really is just a sexy dress, apparently, but I'm sure she doesn't think of it as magic. It's just that it can come in handy in certain situations.

And I'm sure they didn't mean to imply that buying the dress was the only effort she'd put in toward her career. It's more like it's like the dress she said got her out of traffic court. If the judge likes the way she looks, he may have more pity on her and give her a break. It's kind of how some women cry when they get pulled over for a ticket. If they cry, the cop will feel sorry for them, and so on.

But as I said, I wouldn't overthink it.

Edited by phantagrae

We talked about Amy's comment that P. spent $100s  on a "little dress". I at  first thought it was important because she apparently had little money yet spent it on something she did not need. However, I watched the  show again last night  and her comment that  the dress will take her places was pretty interesting...almost like the magic beans in Jack and the Beanstalk.

You mean like the magic dress that got her out of two speeding tickets and jury duty? See The Santa Simulation from last year, during the impromptu fashion show the girls put on before going out to a club.

So  does Penny see this dress as the answer to all her problems?   She does have a number of little dresses that we have seen her look wonderful in, yet she invested quite a bit of money in her "magic" dress.

Doubt she thinks it will solve all her problems, since she specifically said it would get her into places. Higher end clubs, bars and restaurants can have bouncers, or other similar people watching the door, allowing only certain people in. It can be easier for good looking, well dressed men and sexily (or scantily dressed) women to get into such places.

We don't know what Penny is doing or has done to further her career.  Has she signed up for more lesson, pictures etc??

Well, since she specifically stated she was getting additional copies of her head shots to give to agents and that she was signing up for some more acting lessons, I'd say we know what she's doing. The The Occupation Recalibration, the scene in the stairwell when Sheldon asks Penny what she's doing.

Or  does she see herself showing up in this dress and getting parts because the dress looks so good on her?

After almost ten years, she probably knows a lot better, after only getting two screen roles in that time.

The line was odd

It actually makes a lot of sense in context and with her other comment about getting out of tickets and jury duty.

At first, I didn't understand.

Then, I saw the blur. And I burst out laugh, Raj's and Penny's faces are priceless.

How to make an innocent scene something extremely perverted!