The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.15 "the Locomotive Manipulation" (February 6)

Your Episode Rating  

146 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Quotes from the episode have been added to the site's quotes database: http://the-big-bang-theory.com/quotes/episode/715/The-Locomotive-Manipulation/ We do this for every episode but I usually forget to mention it here. I know there may be a couple of Shamy quotes people want to vote up today. :D

OMG i had no idea about that!! Thank you Tripper!!! :)

Edited by Cecilia

But frankly the train part was the one to please him and the romance part to please her. I can't see how Sheldon could have missed that. And I wasn't a fan of her admitting she was trying to trick him. I mean she obviously didn't and she DOES deserve romance. Her ''I didn't know how to make it happen'' line broke my heart too. Having said that I understand how Sheldon is in a big denial. Sheldon might tried to make her excited with his excitement (which in general is perfect. what Amy wanted in 5x12 and what she DID by learning so much about that train) but she took into account his feelings last year and she did the same thing this year. In my eyes she is perfect :p Personally I don't care about Vday I am with Sheldon on that but the girl deserves the world not just romance. Glad she actually got what she deserved. ;)

Their awkwardness after the kiss was to die for!!! I LOVED how she told ''have fun''. Because she actually wanted him to have fan ANY WAY HE WANTED. Even if it didn't include her. She just wanted to know that he cares. And boy does he care!!!!! When he asked her to join him she finally knew that he liked it!!! She just wanted to have fun together. His kind of fun was ok with her. She is not into trains but she was there with Sheldon that was all that mattered. So no she is not sex starved and she is not only pleased when he does something sexual. Cause then she would have told ''no please have fun with your friend I don't want to get on the way''.

Anyway I loved that he just told Leonard and that he was so proud to do so. Kissing Amy on the lips was one of the things that made the weekend so wonderful. And to me it was obvious that he is still in denial and doesn't want to admit that he loved the kiss most of all and that he plans to kiss her again cause he liked it. And to be logical I don't think the writers would have him imply that he didn't care about the kiss and he is planning to hear a nine finger guys playing the banjo again. It would kind of take away everything and they are not stupid!!!!

Ok now that I am done I sense that I was a bit harsh on Sheldon but that is just cause I love him so much. I actually love it when he sweeps Amy off her feet. He is so freaking good at that.

eta: I found the contrast between Amy and Bernie pretty interesting when they were all together. Sheldon was talking about pocket watches and Bernie had a WTF face whereas Amy was pretty cool finding nothing weird about one owing more than one pocket watch.

I don't think she was tricking him really, more like trying to woo him. I mean, people do that all the time, create situations that please the other person and encourages romance. The problem is that Amy still fails to see that being so cryptic and hoping that Sheldon will get the message is never going to work. It kind of reminded me of when she tried to use passive-aggression in Weekend Vortex and he didn't get it. On the other hand, I do believe it's about damn time Sheldon starts LEARNING something and thinking of doing something to make her happy, for once, and not when he's just with his back against the wall.

Like I said, I do think Amy was more frustrated at being ignored for Eric than about the fact that Sheldon was excited over the train. She must have known Sheldon would go bonkers over the train stuff, that's why she arranged it in the first place. And she was happy to be included in the end, when he asked her to go see the train conductor. I think it was being ignored that hurt her and pissed her off. Not that I think Amy would suddenly become a train enthusiast or be happy spend all night listening to Sheldon rambling about trains, but I was so impressed at how much she knew about the train in the opening scene, and we have seen her play trains with Sheldon this season, so I do think she's making an effort to like what he likes or at least take some interest. 

As for the tag scene, to be honest, I can't fault any interpretation. My gut instinct is that they made it crystal clear that Sheldon loved the kiss (I mean, you don't kiss someone for 12 seconds if you don't enjoy it) and so I doubt the point of the tag was to deny what happened before. On the other hand, it could be a way for the writers to reset to status quo once again, with Sheldon being oblivious at the implications of his actions. We will have to wait and see on this one.

• Like 6

I don't think she was tricking him really, more like trying to woo him. I mean, people do that all the time, create situations that please the other person and encourages romance. The problem is that Amy still fails to see that being so cryptic and hoping that Sheldon will get the message is never going to work. It kind of reminded me of when she tried to use passive-aggression in Weekend Vortex and he didn't get it. On the other hand, I do believe it's about damn time Sheldon starts LEARNING something and thinking of doing something to make her happy, for once, and not when he's just with his back against the wall.

The bold part melted my heart!!!!! Actually if I had to find one thing I didn't like on the writing was these lines where Amy kind of admits that she triched him. IMO it wasn't written very well but I realize I am overanalyzing this. What I am trying to tell is that I get that Sheldon only has good in heart and if it seems like he is ignoring her in reality he just doesn't get it. The thing is that Amy does thoughtfull staff for him and I would like to see him do the same about her. I really don't know how much longer that ''Sheldon is being Sheldon'' excuse can be used.

Like I said, I do think Amy was more frustrated at being ignored for Eric than about the fact that Sheldon was excited over the train. She must have known Sheldon would go bonkers over the train stuff, that's why she arranged it in the first place. And she was happy to be included in the end, when he asked her to go see the train conductor. I think it was being ignored that hurt her and pissed her off. Not that I think Amy would suddenly become a train enthusiast or be happy spend all night listening to Sheldon rambling about trains, but I was so impressed at how much she knew about the train in the opening scene, and we have seen her play trains with Sheldon this season, so I do think she's making an effort to like what he likes or at least take some interest. 

I know you didn't :p I just quoted your post cause 99,999999999% was what I wanted to say. Not everything was a response to your post :) I just had a feeling I would start rumbling and I needed something presentable on my post :p And as it turns out I did rumble :p But I know sometimes I am too harsh on Shelly but that is only cause I have great expectations from him. He is the best in everything after all :)

As for the tag scene, to be honest, I can't fault any interpretation. My gut instinct is that they made it crystal clear that Sheldon loved the kiss (I mean, you don't kiss someone for 12 seconds if you don't enjoy it) and so I doubt the point of the tag was to deny what happened before. On the other hand, it could be a way for the writers to reset to status quo once again, with Sheldon being oblivious at the implications of his actions. We will have to wait and see on this one.

As I said on the shamy thread I am really optimistic!!! I am not always just lately!! :) I really don't know why but I like it ;)

I know you didn't :p I just quoted your post cause 99,999999999% was what I wanted to say. Not everything was a response to your post :) I just had a feeling I would start rumbling and I needed something presentable on my post :p And as it turns out I did rumble :p But I know sometimes I am too harsh on Shelly but that is only cause I have great expectations from him. He is the best in everything after all :)

Oh I know, my response about Eric and Sheldon ignoring Amy was more of a general comment, not directed at you :)

*takes deep breath*

I made a post yesterday which oddly enough was my first post on this website, seeing as I just had to gush my heart out about the kiss shared between Sheldon and Amy, and being a Shamy fan how happy it made me to see.

Nevertheless being a fan of the kiss, I should also express my opinions on the other parts of the show, too, as the episode overall is definitely in my top favorites.

In particular I sincerely liked the fact that Amy knows Sheldon so well that she knew he would not care for a bed and breakfast and instead opted for something she knew would really ‘tickle him pink’ as my mother always said. I was also very happy to see Howard and Bernadette brought into this particular Valentines Day bed and breakfast. Not a whole lot of Howard and Bernadette was seen in the show, in comparison to the other characters, but I was highly satisfied seeing that their Valentines Day ended good.

I agree completely with what Koops had mentioned about Penny and Leonard. Whereas there were a few funny moments you can tell on both ends that it was taken lightly and not in an argumentative way. I feel in particular that after seven seasons of knowing one another and being very intimate with one another for a large amount of it (whether they were together or just shared thoughts of each other), they do very well. They know one another extremely well to the point where Leonard knew what would make Penny happier than jewelry is tickets to see a favored sports team play, just as Penny knows that her slightest affections can bring Leonard such joys.

I think both of them feel comfortable around one another now and are very in sync throughout many episodes, even when they have spats and quarrels most times they always end up okay with each other because bottom line they sincerely love each other, and I feel that if one of them proposed to the other I would venture to say that the other would say yes. Yes, there was an episode more recently were Penny proposed and Leonard said no, but I feel the reason is simply because Leonard knew it wasn’t what Penny wanted and wasn’t really ready for that. Of course Leonard wants to marry Penny, he’s pretty much wanted to marry her since the first time he had coitus with her.

The first time Raj and the vet (Yvette?) started to chat, I instantly thought “Ohhh, love interest?” because they have one thing in common: animals, specifically dogs. If she spoke of dogs, he would be able to continue the conversation, and not only that but he could trust her around his “little girl Cinnamon” I most definitely like her more than Lucy, although I have seen the actress Lucy plays in quite a number of TV shows (including Raising Hope), so it was quite difficult to “dislike” her for mistreating Raj. Though I do hope we see some more of this lady, even if she is only there for the rest of the season, it’ll still satisfy Raj. Hopefully Raj doesn’t start signing wedding invitations too early.

On the Shamy front, I in particular liked that Amy stood up for herself. It is exactly what Sheldon needed, I feel. He has a lot of problems grasping other people around him, and I can completely understand that the guy who he chatted with most of the B&B had a fantastic grasp and affection towards trains as Sheldon himself did, however I am very happy to see them taking the next step. Quite honestly I was not expecting the next step to be so large, I was whole heartedly set on thinking it would come in baby steps.

Of course I’m not thinking that Sheldon and Amy are going to be kissing all the time or heatedly making out a lot, but I can foresee the fact that Sheldon did like the kiss between himself and Amy as something he’ll cherish, probably not speak about nor understand the same way someone like Howard or Leonard might see it.

The kiss that they shared though did speak volumes. Sheldon normally tries to get away or stiffen in place at the slightest signs of affection, whether it be the time that Amy drunkenly kissed Sheldon, or any single time that Sheldon has been hugged. But this time, he kissed her, and he moved in clearly liking it. If nothing else this will certainly make Sheldon think a bit more on human interactions.

Knowing the personality that Sheldon has I was really thinking he was going to pull a inches from the face kind of a “neener neener” thing, so when the two did lock lips I sat there with my mouth wide open like “What. Just. Happened?!” I had to play it over again to ensure I saw accurately (yay DVR).

All in all I do feel this is one of my favorite episodes of The Big Bang Theory, it was filled with a lot of happiness on all fronts of the characters seen in the episode. Amy knew Sheldon loved trains and chose a train B&B, Sheldon kissed Amy and thereby making all of the Shamy fans (including myself) happy as fan girls, Penny and Leonard were very in sync the entire show and shared some intimate moments themselves, Raj made the vet very happy and potentially we’ll see more of her in the future, and finally Howard and Bernadette are still going strong together.

• Like 5

Not the best for me. Despite the much awaited kiss. Even the most awkward. lonely and needy person would have difficulty putting up with Sheldon's behaviour on the train.........it could just have easily ended things for shamy...

But it's a comedy so heigh ho!

Was watching Episode 3.12 The Psychic Vortex and realized Bernie is wearing in that episode the same dress she wore on the train in The Locomotive Manipulation.  LOL!

How can you not see how weird that kiss looks? Blah!

What you didn't enjoy the kiss or the episode? Color me shocked. Look you clearly have a problem with the idea of Sheldon being more humanized or being part of a traditional relationship construct or paradaigm, whether that's to do with your own personal preferences, and your entire philosophy that Sheldon should never have a girlfriend, as he's a robot and he is the only hope for humanity, and having a gf compromises everything he stood for, like considering knowledge or education above procreation above else. Or your open to the idea of Sheldon having a girlfriend, but for some reason haven't warmed to Amy, therefore you don't think she's the right match for Sheldon. Either that's because you don't think she's hot, or their are other women who have shown interest, although Sheldon has shown little or no interest in them romantically, even that women who tried to take credit for his work. That all you think Amy has completely ruined Sheldon, especially distracted him from his work, and his lifelong goal of winning a noble prize, that or dare i say it your a shenny ;). Either way the whole premise of this show is four eggheads becoming socially aware, so regardless if you or anyone else thinks Sheldon has been resorted to lame romance stories, what else did you think was going to happen. Even in S3 their was signs he was showing signs in being interested in women, it was inevitable. So I find the people who moan about the current state of the show or Sheldon, didn'trealize the shows premise was changing, to me I never saw it as geeky show, their were signs even in S3 even Sheldon was starting to acknowledge relationships and ppl a relevant part of human nature. So I have enjoyed seeing a less robotic Sheldon, even a less creepy Howard, the characters are believable now, as the show slowly matures. You clearly don't like the direction they have taken with Sheldon, that could because you have outgrown the show, or maybe your right Sheldon has been ruined, either way sitcoms are all about watching characters grow maybe that's not important too you, but maybe its best to avoid the romantic type episodes :).

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 5

Finally got to see it just now (had a busy Thursday).

Yay video on demand.

Great episode. Glad almost everyone liked it. If you did not like this one you should try a different series.

• Like 9

What you didn't enjoy the kiss or the episode? Color me shocked. Look you clearly have a problem with the idea of Sheldon being more humanized or being part of a traditional relationship construct or paradaigm, whether that's to do with your own personal preferences, and your entire philosophy that Sheldon should never have a girlfriend, as he's a robot and he is the only hope for humanity, and having a gf compromises everything he stood for, like considering knowledge or education above procreation above else. Or your open to the idea of Sheldon having a girlfriend, but for some reason haven't warmed to Amy, therefore you don't think she's the right match for Sheldon. Either that's because you don't think she's hot, or their are other women who have shown interest, although Sheldon has shown little or no interest in them romantically, even that women who tried to take credit for his work. That all you think Amy has completely ruined Sheldon, especially distracted him from his work, and his lifelong goal of winning a noble prize, that or dare i say it your a shenny ;). Either way the whole premise of this show is four eggheads becoming socially aware, so regardless if you or anyone else thinks Sheldon has been resorted to lame romance stories, what else did you think was going to happen. Even in S3 their was signs he was showing signs in being interested in women, it was inevitable. So I find the people who moan about the current state of the show or Sheldon, didn'trealize the shows premise was changing, to me I never saw it as geeky show, their were signs even in S3 even Sheldon was starting to acknowledge relationships and ppl a relevant part of human nature. So I have enjoyed seeing a less robotic Sheldon, even a less creepy Howard, the characters are believable now, as the show slowly matures. You clearly don't like the direction they have taken with Sheldon, that could because you have outgrown the show, or maybe your right Sheldon has been ruined, either way sitcoms are all about watching characters grow maybe that's not important too you, but maybe its best to avoid the romantic type episodes :).

Well since you seem to think you know my philosophy already I won't bore you with the details. Unbelievable!

For those of you who have not been on this site for over two years like myself, I will enlighten you I USED TO BE A SHAMY SUPPORTER. yes, I'm a ex-shamy. Put that in your pipe Mister.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 2

Well since you seem to think you know my philosophy already I won't bore you with the details. Unbelievable!

For those of you who have not been on this site for over two years like myself, I will enlighten you I USED TO BE A SHAMY SUPPORTER. yes, I'm a ex-shamy. Put that in your pipe Mister.

Well their you go i havent been on this site for more then two years, so thanks for clearing that up. I never professed to kno ur philosophy haha, i just noticed a select few of your posts regarding shamys relationship, and the tone of ur posts diddnt scream happy. I dont kno why you dont like shamy anymore, most ppl ive seen on fb, twitter, here, tumblr etc Has been a positive reaction to the sik, even the media. So do what you have to do, i prefer shamy now, they have been together three years, about time they acted like a real couple,

This episode was EXCELLENTA!! :D Funny and exciting. 

Ovs, Shamy where the main excitment, the way he kissed Amy (abit bent bless because hes so tall :)), it was just play and then he moved in and held her waist. Great acting, you could see all the emotions they where feeling. One of the best episodes of this season. Can't wait to see the next episodes. Their relationship maybe me slow moving but that's what I love, all the more exciting when something happens, all the more supprising. 

So Raj might have found someone, who also sleeps with their dog :3 

• Like 1

IMO, it was one of the best episode of the show. Let me explain.

First, there were a lot of funny parts ... I laughed a lot during all the episode, that's a good sign ;)

Shamy: Here we go, a kiss, a real one. Full of angry then full of passion. Something real, something true. We all needed that. A lot of posts wished that the day SIK, he won't be drunk ... thank god, he wasn't. He was aware of his action and maybe a little surprised to enjoy it so much. THAT WAS PERFECT. I'm grateful to writers for that.
You added the way Jim and Mayim act it perfectly ... Emmy award for both of them please !

Now we're waiting to see more ... or just how much it will change their relationship. We wait for 7 season and a half, even if some of you aren't Shamy fans, please understand how long it was for us. ;)

Lenny: They are a couple since so much time now, they are growing up together. OK it wasn't a big VD for them, but even if they still "fight" for "silly" things, they still have their own personnality and that's great. They are a "real"couple now :)

Raj and ... Yvette? What a lovely meet ! And what a lovely girl ... she seems to have her own personnality and I wish to see her more. She liked Raj for who he is ... and I'll be so happy for him to finally have someone in his life. He deserves this so much. He's a good guy :)

Bernie and Howard: I don't know if you noticed, but that's the first time I see them so "in love" together. Since they're married, of course, we saw them together ... but here, it was in public and they didn't look like an old couple. Just like a couple who are happy to be together and share a romantic night together (even with Amy completely mad after Sheldon and his reaction)

Edited by Chrystalie
  • Like 4

This episode was EXCELLENTA!! :D Funny and exciting. 

Ovs, Shamy where the main excitment, the way he kissed Amy (abit bent bless because hes so tall :)), it was just play and then he moved in and held her waist. Great acting, you could see all the emotions they where feeling. One of the best episodes of this season. Can't wait to see the next episodes. Their relationship maybe me slow moving but that's what I love, all the more exciting when something happens, all the more supprising. 

So Raj might have found someone, who also sleeps with their dog :3 

Well it is a good thing you like slow moving Shamy because that is what you will continue to get IMO. That kiss, although very touching, was just like two middle school kids having their very first kiss ever with anyone. The problem is that both characters are north of thirty years old.  That doesn’t bode well for Amy’s frustration, or even her five year plan. Shelly is going to continue on his glacial pace he is comfortable with. The only bright spot for Amy is that as  middle schoolers that kiss will last Amy for a good season before she goes OOC and starts yelling at Sheldon again. Then at which point Shelly will give her another morsel to appease her.

Well it is a good thing you like slow moving Shamy because that is what you will continue to get IMO. That kiss, although very touching, was just like two middle school kids having their very first kiss ever with anyone. The problem is that both characters are north of thirty years old.  That doesn’t bode well for Amy’s frustration, or even her five year plan. Shelly is going to continue on his glacial pace he is comfortable with. The only bright spot for Amy is that as  middle schoolers that kiss will last Amy for a good season before she goes OOC and starts yelling at Sheldon again. Then at which point Shelly will give her another morsel to appease her.

When did you become a writer on the show?

Because you state your points as facts, not as an opinion.

My bad! Clarification...Post #168 is strictly...IN MY OPINION!

Well, to be fair Sodidiwin said "IMO" :p

I think the "middle school" feel of the kiss is what makes it perfect to be honest. Because these are characters who never kissed anyone before, if you exclude those two quick pecks they had in the past, so it's very realistic. And I think the point Sodidiwin makes is a valid concern, since they've kind of done it before: big moment which gets ignored, Amy nags until the next cookie. We can only hope that the writers start speeding things up at some point as far as Sheldon is concerned because Amy can't keep being the only one desiring things. This was by far the biggest and clearest step forward ever taken, let's hope that we don't reset back to status quo after this, and realize that there's two people in this relationship and the world doesn't revolve around Sheldon. They are making Sheldon unlikeable as a character the way they have her nag and him drag his feet. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 6

Well, to be fair Sodidiwin said "IMO" :p

I think the "middle school" feel of the kiss is what makes it perfect to be honest. Because these are characters who never kissed anyone before, if you exclude those two quick pecks they had in the past, so it's very realistic. And I think the point Sodidiwin makes is a valid concern, since they've kind of done it before: big moment which gets ignored, Amy nags until the next cookie. We can only hope that the writers start speeding things up at some point as far as Sheldon is concerned because Amy can't keep being the only one desiring things. This was by far the biggest and clearest step forward ever taken, let's hope that we don't reset back to status quo after this, and realize that there's two people in this relationship and the world doesn't revolve around Sheldon. They are making Sheldon unlikeable as a character the way they have her nag and him drag his feet. 

Thank you Koops! :) I agree with everything you just wrote. I just might add regarding your last sentence, IMO the way the writers are handling Sheldon not only is he becoming unlikable for the Shamy relationship but they are really making him a pain the the Lenny relationship also (although not in this particular episode.). 

Thank you Koops! :) I agree with everything you just wrote. I just might add regarding your last sentence, IMO the way the writers are handling Sheldon not only is he becoming unlikable for the Shamy relationship but they are really making him a pain the the Lenny relationship also (although not in this particular episode.). 

I've noticed! :p I feel like a lot of Shamy fans too hate Sheldon as the Lenny-dog and him being used as a plot device to drag Lenny down, I believe many hardcore Sheldon fans also hate the way he's been used for that (or as the manchild in his own relationship). And it is a major complaint I've seen in the reviews I've read of this episode; a lot of people are concerned this moment will amount to nothing. We can just hope that the writers take notice. They don't want the characters to become caricature of themselves, not when they have so much meat on the fire that could make the show really really good, between this kiss and Penny's job situation, not to mention the whole Amy at Caltech stuff and possibly the tenure issue (for Leonard's career)? That's a lot of stuff to conclude the season on. I often don't understand why they sabotage their own momentum by dropping interesting storylines in favor of coming up with new ways of running the same damn jokes into the ground. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 5

Is Yvette coming back? If not just to annoy Howard? Adding another "Dr." into the group.

I hope so! I liked her! She seems very tough and out spoken, where Raj is the more romantic and sappy. TBBT likes giving their couples the opposite in gender stereotypes. Also, I like that she is another Dr. too! Plus, she doesn't seem as enamored in penny like the other two girls, so i think she could bring a new dynamic to the girl group.  I look forward to her return!

Edited by delsino
  • Like 4