The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KAJ

Penny Character Has No Plot!

I'm a huge fan of the Big Bang theory and never miss an episode but I don't understand what's happened to the Penny character.  She was the most "normal" character at the beginning of the series, trying to teach Sheldon and Lenoard how to better function socially.  Now it seems this character is going no where. I don't know if it how she's supposed to be played or if its the actress playing her, but there is no energy behind Penny anymore.  She looks bored in almost every scene! And now that she doesn't work at the cheese cake factory she has nothing going on her life, she's just there as part of the "girl group" because her apartment is right next to Sheldon's. Please give this actress something to do!!! Give penny a new job, an acting career, another man.....I don't care at this point....just give her something to do.  Sitting at bars or in her aparmetn constently drinking and dropping one liners to be funny is lazy and I can't imagaine Kaley is excited to come to work everyday with NOTHING TO DO!!!!

There doesn't even seem to be a real relationship between Penny and Leonard anymore, there's no chemistry, she doesn't even seem like see likes him.....so why are they still together?

And while I'm at it, I think Amy and Bernadette's characters could have something happen to them as well.  Why are we hardly seeing them at work anymore, or even just doing something active and fun during the day?  Again, all they do now is sit in different locations with Penny drinking and trying to be funny.  I'm so upset at how boring this show is becoming.

Writers....let's get creative and spice it up a bit!!!! Too many guest stars this season don't mask the fact that these characters don't have anything to do anymore!!!

• Like 2

Your post is such a generic the show is crap now which you see constantly, you say it's boring like its a fact but I'm really enjoying the show this year. And I do not agree that it seems like Penny doesen't like Leonard anymore, he's the only good thing in her life according to her, she had every oppurtunity to break up with him after the drunk proposal and she diddn't, because this has nothing to do with her relationship with Leonard, but her lack of success and self worth. She feels her lack of success has made her isolated, So not sure what show your watching, Penny clearly loves Leonard and has prooven time and time again she is committed to him, so not sure what else your expecting from him. So many people watch this show so you may think you see a boring Penny or a lacklustre relationship, but I don't think Kaley looks bored, I just think Penny is isolated, complaining that she is not like she was at the begginning is riduclous. Of couse she isin't she was younger and more perky then, because she had so much hopes. Being in Pasadena Seven years and not getting any break in her career, has clearly taken its toll and weared her down. 

I'm a huge fan of the Big Bang theory and never miss an episode but I don't understand what's happened to the Penny character.  She was the most "normal" character at the beginning of the series, trying to teach Sheldon and Lenoard how to better function socially.  Now it seems this character is going no where. I don't know if it how she's supposed to be played or if its the actress playing her, but there is no energy behind Penny anymore.  She looks bored in almost every scene!

Yeah, you want to explain how her being angry at getting her part cut, at Leonard's attempts at supporting her, etc equate to her being bored?

And now that she doesn't work at the cheese cake factory she has nothing going on her life, she's just there as part of the "girl group" because her apartment is right next to Sheldon's.

Ahhhh, you do know she only quit one episode ago, right? It was episode 7.13 and aired on the 9th of January. Last night (7.15 The Convention Conundrum, airing on 30 January) was the first new episode since then.

Please give this actress something to do!!! Give penny a new job, an acting career, another man.....I don't care at this point....just give her something to do.

Did you watch it last time? She quit the cheesecake factory job to pursue acting full time. It was only one episode ago. So you may want to give them a chance to cover that. There is one more episode next week, then they are off for two more weeks due to the Olympics. You many not see any movement until March.

Sitting at bars or in her aparmetn constently drinking and dropping one liners to be funny is lazy and I can't imagaine Kaley is excited to come to work everyday with NOTHING TO DO!!!!

Constantly drinking? You do realize over the last two episodes, they only showed her drinking after her part got cut in 7.12 and with the girls in 7.15. The entire episode of 7.13 she didn't drink at all. So can you explain the constantly for us? And dropping one liners is something the character of Penny has been doing since the first season. And she's been in one bar in the last three episodes. Or what about her going to school?

There doesn't even seem to be a real relationship between Penny and Leonard anymore, there's no chemistry, she doesn't even seem like see likes him.....so why are they still together?

Yeah, The Romance Resonance demonstrated how much they really dislike each other and Penny wanting Leonard's approval for her career change is indicative of her extreme dislike of him. Not to mention how worried he is about her, when she quits.

And while I'm at it, I think Amy and Bernadette's characters could have something happen to them as well.  Why are we hardly seeing them at work anymore, or even just doing something active and fun during the day?

You mean like Amy at work, with another professor having a crush on her is nothing happening or how about where she starts working at Cal Tech? Or Bernadette going to the comic book stores (yes, two of them!!!!) with Stuart.

Again, all they do now is sit in different locations with Penny drinking and trying to be funny.  I'm so upset at how boring this show is becoming.

You're entitled to your opinion. But since you are a bit shaky one what has been actually happening in the show (at least based on your claims here), are you sure you're opinion is based on something that is actually happening within the show?

Writers....let's get creative and spice it up a bit!!!! Too many guest stars this season don't mask the fact that these characters don't have anything to do anymore!!!

You mean like Sheldon discovering a new way to synthesize a superheavy element (even if it turned out to be wrong) and Leonard disproving it.

You are going to have to get used to the idea that this is now a seven person ensemble show. It runs and average of 21 minutes a night, for 24 weeks. So you are seeing a just over an hour of the characters lives over the entire season. There are going to be gaps, pauses, and what appears to be problems, although there really isn't a problem.

• Like 4

Obviously Penny going from 'broke up with boyfriend who cheated on me still love him wanna be a famous star' to 'I love this guy and I'm taking big steps with my career and studying things I enjoy' is no plot duhhhhhh 

• Like 4

I'm surprised this topic was started now and not before when there was some question about her plot.  Like people have stated, this whole quiting TCF and trying harder in acting is a big step for her character and I would think the writers will be addressing this in later episodes.

Penny only quit her job two episodes ago, the whole plot of Penny was a struggling actress working as a waitress. Quitting her job and focusing soley on acting is a big step for her character, regardless if thats a good step or a bad step. But complaining that in 2 episodes that they have no real plot for her is riduclous, you have to give them time, they write seven characters 22 minutes a week. 

I think what they're doing with Penny's character is the most realistic and relatable character development than anyone else on the show. In earlier seasons, she was the impossibly hot chick talking to a bunch of nerds (and everyone scoffed, saying that would never happen in real life). And now she's developed into an actual 20-something who enjoys the occasional glass of wine as she goes through life changes and constant self-doubt everyone's scoffing again, but because she has "no plot". If Penny has no plot, then my life definitely has no plot, and I'm a real-life 20-something who enjoys the occasional (okay, a lot more than occasional) glass of wine as I go through life changes and constant self-doubt. 

It's more natural than you think for a woman to have a good man (as Penny has Leonard) and fight it, no matter how much she loves him, because love is scary. Just because these characters aren't real, doesn't mean that the writers who create them every week aren't.

Also, you've got to accept that this show isn't just about awkward nerds and their comic book IQ anymore. And that's what makes it one of the most popular shows on television. 

I've said it here before and I'll say it again: Penny is my spirit animal.

I'm surprised this topic was started now and not before when there was some question about her plot.  Like people have stated, this whole quiting TCF and trying harder in acting is a big step for her character and I would think the writers will be addressing this in later episodes.

I agree. Quiting The Cheesecake factory is a big change for the character. Maybe now that she's focused on acting, she might actually find some success. 

Yeah, you want to explain how her being angry at getting her part cut, at Leonard's attempts at supporting her, etc equate to her being bored?

Tensor, it's always a joy to watch you ripping posts apart. FATALITY!

People should be free to post their opinions without someone  "ripping" them apart.  That is what boards are for. Seeing the point by point disagreement and demands for explanation has been getting pretty old.

People should be free to post their opinions without someone  "ripping" them apart.  That is what boards are for. Seeing the point by point disagreement and demands for explanation has been getting pretty old.

I see no point in creating an account just to complain about the show. If I don't like something, I don't use/watch it instead of ruining it for others with nonsense posts like this.

Boards are also for pointing out errors and misunderstandings in those opinions. Someone can ask for explanation or clarification, that doesn't mean anyone is obliged to provide those things. The OP's post was rife with misinformation and errors, which brings those opinions into question. Also, by providing a counterpoint to the errors, others, who might not otherwise know, will have more accurate information. What exactly is wrong with pointing out those errors and providing counterpoints?

• Like 2

When someone posts opinion as if it were fact, or exaggerates or distorts information to prove a questionable assertion, then it's perfectly reasonable to address each point individually in order to show why one disagrees with such assertions.

It's much easier to follow when each point is addressed individually, so that the points don't get confused.

Perhaps "ripping apart" is a strong term, but it's simply a matter of disagreeing and showing why.

• Like 3

I am pretty sure that nobody is taking an opinion posted here as fact....But those opinions have "errors" in them...and distortions...and exaggerations...and are questionable.

funny stuff

I am pretty sure that nobody is taking an opinion posted here as fact....But those opinions have "errors" in them...and distortions...and exaggerations...and are questionable.

funny stuff

Since I know you don't like to see point by point refutations, I'll stick with one for now. Do you really believe that the OP's assertion that Penny is "drinking constantly" is not an error, or distortion or exaggeration? And if you do think those are not errors, distortions or exaggerations, can you explain the examples I gave where she wasn't drinking? If you do agree those are exaggeration, can you explain why that doesn't make the opinion questionable? After all, the OP is then using incorrect information to come to their opinion.

If I was to state that it's my opinion that The Big Bang Theory runs on NBC at 9 PM on Wednesday, do you think that is a questionable opinion?

Then don't read them. Just like people are free to post their opinions, others are free to post their rebuttals, even if they're point-by-point and requests for exaplanations. You may not like it, but that's irrelevant, because we aren't obliged to conform to your desires and expectations.

• Like 4

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of the Big Bang theory and never miss an episode but I don't understand what's happened to the Penny character.  She was the most "normal" character at the beginning of the series, trying to teach Sheldon and Lenoard how to better function socially.  Now it seems this character is going no where. I don't know if it how she's supposed to be played or if its the actress playing her, but there is no energy behind Penny anymore.  She looks bored in almost every scene! And now that she doesn't work at the cheese cake factory she has nothing going on her life, she's just there as part of the "girl group" because her apartment is right next to Sheldon's. Please give this actress something to do!!! Give penny a new job, an acting career, another man.....I don't care at this point....just give her something to do.  Sitting at bars or in her aparmetn constently drinking and dropping one liners to be funny is lazy and I can't imagaine Kaley is excited to come to work everyday with NOTHING TO DO!!!!

And while I'm at it, I think Amy and Bernadette's characters could have something happen to them as well.  Why are we hardly seeing them at work anymore, or even just doing something active and fun during the day?  Again, all they do now is sit in different locations with Penny drinking and trying to be funny.  I'm so upset at how boring this show is becoming.

See ideas for Season 8 and give us your input... we have some doozies over there so far...

http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/topic/4494-ideas-for-season-8/

I'm sorry but aren't you contradicting yourself, one second your saying you are entilted to your opinion, next your saying your sick of people disagreeing with everything someone posts. Well if your allowed an opinion aren't I allowed to disagree, that is the whole point of a forum.

Totally agree! Penny has gone downhill, they have taken away her social skills, her humanity, her street smarts and given her nothing in return. So she quit her job? What of it? Penny is made to look stupid in almost every scene.

Edited by Moonbase

Totally agree! Penny has gone downhill, they have taken away her social skills, her humanity, her street smarts and given her nothing in return.

So did you skip the other ten posts, and diddn't consider their point of views at all, kinda says it all really lol. For the record Penny quitting her job at TCCF is a huge step for the character, but that was 2 weeks ago, its unrealistic to expect the writers to give her any real sign of plot development, it is going to take time. Personally I think Penny is a much better character then she was back in the early day's, but each to it's own. And given her nothing? How is her life any different now then it was back in Season One? She's older now, but she wasent a movie star then, and she isin't now, she hasen't lost her social skills, I'll say she has gained more, she has just been through the wringer, and feeling the effects of life, that happens after seven years. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

So did you skip the other ten posts, and diddn't consider their point of views at all, kinda says it all really lol. For the record Penny quitting her job at TCCF is a huge step for the character, but that was 2 weeks ago, its unrealistic to expect the writers to give her any real sign of plot development, it is going to take time. Personally I think Penny is a much better character then she was back in the early day's, but each to it's own. And given her nothing? How is her life any different now then it was back in Season One? She's older now, but she wasent a movie star then, and she isin't now, she hasen't lost her social skills, I'll say she has gained more, she has just been through the wringer, and feeling the effects of life, that happens after seven years. 

There was little to consider. Penny was a better character in the earlier seasons, now she's not even that likeable. The girls sit their rolling their eyes at her. Is that the Penny we started watching the show for?

There was little to consider. Penny was a better character in the earlier seasons, now she's not even that likeable. The girls sit their rolling their eyes at her. Is that the Penny we started watching the show for?

Im assuming the little to consider was my point of view, you know you can make a point with out being insulting. Fine you thought she was more likable in the early years, where as I thought she was isolated and matarilistic, and shallow. I like her more now it's got nothing to do with the state of her career but just a personal preferance.