The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
koops

The "dear Writers, Where Is This All Going?" Thread

As the season is winding down, I thought that since many of us like to bang our heads against the wall with the above question, we should have a topic to discuss and analyze any interesting plotlines that you feel are suddenly dropped and/or ignored far too often and make you wonder "Where is this all going?". A place specifically devoted to debating continuity issues and rant freely about what frustrates you.

Plots to do with any character or ship (friendly and romantic) relevant to S7 are welcome! Spoilers allowed. 

Possible topics:

Penny's job? 

Tenure?

Shamy, what are they doing?

Lenny: what's up with these proposals?

What are they doing with Raj?

What's up with Amy at Caltech?

And more! 

I would like Sheldon to experience a real success at work. He's said to be brilliant, and yet, lately, he has always failed. I don't know if I'm in the good thread, but I'd like to see him so upset by his mistake at the beginning of the season that he works really hard ( harder than usual ) and finally makes something great.

• Like 9

Well, my main concern right now is Penny. With every taping that goes by with no mention I get more uncomfortable not knowing what's up.

I seriously thought it would come up in 7.14 and now it's nearly the 7.18 taping :icon_cry: and there's a time jump.

I just don't get what we are supposed to assume.

She must have work to still be living in her apartment in May though, but id like a full answer.

Edited by bigbangsheldon
  • Like 2

Shamy, what are they doing?

I think "Whats the meaning of life" would be easier to answer...

• Like 8

I would like Sheldon to experience a real success at work. He's said to be brilliant, and yet, lately, he has always failed. I don't know if I'm in the good thread, but I'd like to see him so upset by his mistake at the beginning of the season that he works really hard ( harder than usual ) and finally makes something great.

This is a good one, because I thought the element story was so great and showed such a mature, respectful side of Sheldon with integrity about the job. And then the time they brought it up again it was to destroy everything that was good about that plot and revert Sheldon back into childish, egocentric prick. That is precisely the type of continuity issue I have a problem with, instead of moving the character along towards growth, constantly have him regress like he has learned nothing. So, yes, I would love to see him try to work hard to make some real and significant progress that he can be proud of. 

• Like 8

I agree on all the suggestions posted in the OP and the one about Sheldon and his work, he should be give a (small) success that isn't taken away from him.

But I would also like to see something new for Howard and Bernadette.

The only reason I don't really "feel" much for them, is because they have been pretty much the same since they got married.

So maybe it's not really a S7 thing, and doesn't belong here.

3) Pacing - I have more on this, and I'll come back to it later. Right now I have to go see a taxidermist about a weasel who keeps botching her attempts to cook a souffle.

I can't even. 

The laughter, it hurts so good. 

• Like 7

I wanna see them fix Amy's character more. I mean she's always been perfect in my eyes and always will be and I'll always make exceptions and excuses to defend her. Because it's something I'm forced to do when they make her so selfless and always puts Sheldon's feelings before hers. I mean damn it. I get she adores him and she's loving and caring but what she has to give up the love she had for herself to love him?

I miss the takes-no-crap Amy. I loved the girl who stood her ground on which was the superior science not the one who rolled her eyes at "now I'm worse than a fraud! I'm practically a biologist"

I want them to bring back the emotionally independent Amy that hung up on Sheldon because it didn't interest her that there was someone at his door.

I hate that they've chosen to go with the Lenny approach on how Shamy works. It's one giving more than the other. One gets the short end of the stick. One has to always be patient and understanding of the other.

I enjoyed the "do you wanna take the bus to work?" In 7.02 although I would've loved it if she hadn't given him the option and would've just walked down the stairs and said "you're taking the bus to work, I'll see you for dinner" and maybe he would've gone after her and said "maybe there's a third option! Amy wait!"

But my all time favorite line this season was the "honestly, I'm embarrassed for you" because here she was looking at the situation from a scientist point of view. Not his supportive girlfriend. Not even from a friend. It was really nice to see because it brought back the vintagy shamy from s4 or 5 but with the fact that they are a couple and he was comfortable enough to categorize it as 'romantic'.

Idk I'm just rambling now sorry I had to get it out of my system. It feels good. I love this thread :)

• Like 9

I would like you to show that Amy is involved in the Shamy relationship too. I would like to see it from her POV in an episode. I want to know what makes her keep fighting and work on their relationship. 

I'll be honest and say my heart did a little hokey pokey from the cuteness while I was trying imagining that. <3 

I wanna see them fix Amy's character more. I mean she's always been perfect in my eyes and always will be and I'll always make exceptions and excuses to defend her. Because it's something I'm forced to do when they make her so selfless and always puts Sheldon's feelings before hers. I mean damn it. I get she adores him and she's loving and caring but what she has to give up the love she had for herself to love him?

I miss the takes-no-crap Amy. I loved the girl who stood her ground on which was the superior science not the one who rolled her eyes at "now I'm worse than a fraud! I'm practically a biologist"

I want them to bring back the emotionally independent Amy that hung up on Sheldon because it didn't interest her that there was someone at his door.

I hate that they've chosen to go with the Lenny approach on how Shamy works. It's one giving more than the other. One gets the short end of the stick. One has to always be patient and understanding of the other.

I enjoyed the "do you wanna take the bus to work?" In 7.02 although I would've loved it if she hadn't given him the option and would've just walked down the stairs and said "you're taking the bus to work, I'll see you for dinner" and maybe he would've gone after her and said "maybe there's a third option! Amy wait!"

But my all time favorite line this season was the "honestly, I'm embarrassed for you" because here she was looking at the situation from a scientist point of view. Not his supportive girlfriend. Not even from a friend. It was really nice to see because it brought back the vintagy shamy from s4 or 5 but with the fact that they are a couple and he was comfortable enough to categorize it as 'romantic'.

Idk I'm just rambling now sorry I had to get it out of my system. It feels good. I love this thread :)

I agree, I really like whatever they're doing to her character in Season 7. It really is shaping up to be a long-term, constantly maturing relationship. Loving how they aren't stagnant at all.

• Like 2

Speaking of pacing, what do people think of the writers' style not to follow up immediately with big milestones but ignore them for a few episodes? Loss of momentum or clever tactic? I'm torn between the two. I think they do lose momentum greatly and the story-arc never quite regains the same flow after such an artificial roadblock. At the same time I can see that it's a clever way to wait for the audience's feedback and then move on from there. 

• Like 3

Speaking of pacing, what do people think of the writers' style not to follow up immediately with big milestones but ignore them for a few episodes? Loss of momentum or clever tactic? I'm torn between the two. I think they do lose momentum greatly and the story-arc never quite regains the same flow after such an artificial roadblock. At the same time I can see that it's a clever way to wait for the audience's feedback and then move on from there.

I don't see it as waiting for feedback. They are usually three to four weeks ahead, by the time a show airs (not always, just most of the time) the writers has to be pretty much writing or have written the first draft (at least) of the show that will resolve it. They may be looking to bring people back to view the resolution.

• Like 1

Well TV is one of the most tentative business there is. If the bosses feel like they can cut you mid-season. This had happened to even good, popular shows so I definitely understand why feedback would be so important to them. While it takes time for a show to gain momentum, that could be gone faster than one saying bazinga. I remember watching an interview where they said the bar has been set high at this point which is why they're very cautious unto what to do next. The audience feedback will be very crucial especially to a show as mainstream as TBBT which is why I am not fretting about the trajectory of Shamy at all. With the overwhelming response the SIK got,  things are only bound to get better. It's just that we may have to wait to see that because the standard the SIK brought was pretty excellent and knowing the writers, they'll strive to do even better than that which might mean they have to take their time in coming up with ideas.

By the way, I read somewhere that Chuck Lorre disallows the writers to read comments online regarding the show? Is it true?

Well TV is one of the most tentative business there is. If the bosses feel like they can cut you mid-season. This had happened to even good, popular shows so I definitely understand why feedback would be so important to them. While it takes time for a show to gain momentum, that could be gone faster than one saying bazinga. I remember watching an interview where they said the bar has been set high at this point which is why they're very cautious unto what to do next. The audience feedback will be very crucial especially to a show as mainstream as TBBT which is why I am not fretting about the trajectory of Shamy at allbTheound to get better. It's just that we may have to wait to see that because the standard the SIK brought was pretty excellent and knowing the writers, they'll strive to do even better than that which might mean they have to take their time in coming up with ideas.

. With the overwhelming response the SIK got,  things are only 

By the way, I read somewhere that Chuck Lorre disallows the writers to read comments online regarding the show? Is it true?\

The L/P mutual ILY (finale S6) got a huge audience reaction but the writers have hardly progressed them this season, The SIK might suffer the same snail,s progress.

• Like 1

Well TV is one of the most tentative business there is. If the bosses feel like they can cut you mid-season. This had happened to even good, popular shows so I definitely understand why feedback would be so important to them. While it takes time for a show to gain momentum, that could be gone faster than one saying bazinga. I remember watching an interview where they said the bar has been set high at this point which is why they're very cautious unto what to do next. The audience feedback will be very crucial especially to a show as mainstream as TBBT which is why I am not fretting about the trajectory of Shamy at all. With the overwhelming response the SIK got,  things are only bound to get better. It's just that we may have to wait to see that because the standard the SIK brought was pretty excellent and knowing the writers, they'll strive to do even better than that which might mean they have to take their time in coming up with ideas.

The audience feedback isn't as important as you might think.  Priya was overwhelmingly hated (which continues to this day) when she started dating Leonard.  but they kept her around and even extended her to the next season (by Skype). Amy was quite disliked when she first appeared also.  And if they start going by audience feedback, who's feedback do you include? I know quite a few Lennys who would prefer they don't bother with Sheldon and Amy. The writers have their own story to tell, they can be worried about which group is going to like or dislike a particular episode or arc. They have continually said the main thing is that it make people laugh, any relationship events and ideas are a bonus.

By the way, I read somewhere that Chuck Lorre disallows the writers to read comments online regarding the show? Is it true?

This is true and applies to fan fiction also. The reason is legal. If there is and idea on line, then that person who wrote it, on line, could conceivably sue if the idea is used on the show and it can be shown that any of the writers or producers were on that site.

• Like 1

This is true and applies to fan fiction also. The reason is legal. If there is and idea on line, then that person who wrote it, on line, could conceivably sue if the idea is used on the show and it can be shown that any of the writers or producers were on that site.

But can the actors read comments online themselves?

I really can't say. I remember reading something a couple years ago that Kaley liked reading Leonard and Penny fan fiction, but as far as I knew, it was unconfirmed. I would think anyone associated with the show would be restricted as, again, the show could be sued it if could be shown someone associated with the show was on the site. It very similar to the reason they don't open unsolicited scripts. Even actors can't read those.

• Like 1

I really can't say. I remember reading something a couple years ago that Kaley liked reading Leonard and Penny fan fiction, but as far as I knew, it was unconfirmed. I would think anyone associated with the show would be restricted as, again, the show could be sued it if could be shown someone associated with the show was on the site. It very similar to the reason they don't open unsolicited scripts. Even actors can't read those.

I caught up with Ferguson and Parsons on TLLS recently - they discussed not reading the comments..."treat the internet as a bad neighbourhood and keep your windows up" was the advice Parson mentioned as heeding. Actors were used to reviews - but now so many unsavoury opinions are expressed by people without regard to what the subject of the comment might feel that, unless the actor is as forthright as Samuel L Jackson has been, it is probably better for their peace of mind to stay away or tread very lightly. Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

I can understand why they don't follow up big milestones right away with another big milestone. But I always hope it gets mentioned at least in the following episode(s).

For example I like how they are handling the aftermath of the SIK in the 7x16, but I don't get what they are doing with Penny quiting the Cheesecake Factory.

• Like 2

Dear Writers you better not screw up ond of the biggest reasons for the show since the pilot, the proposal. Sincerley A very weary Lenny.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

In reading all the previous comments I agree with a lot of them, but my biggest pet peeves are: the lack of continuity in character development, and the use of jokes in important moments. By lack of continuity in character development I mean how a character starts developing and eveolving in a particular fashion, only to regress the following episode. As examples of unneccesary jokes in important momentsI can think of : Sheldon's comments at the airport in S6 finale, Sheldon's kick me sign when Leonard didn't know if he and Penny were slip up a couple of episodes ago, and Leonard's comments regarding Alex's text right after he enters his apartment and says "she loves me".

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 3

One thing I was thinking about today: the undercurrent in the show that the girls "change" the guys, but hardly ever the other way around, despite the fact that the girls have been shown in several occasions to take up their boys' activities, but it never goes anywhere. I don't understand why that is. I don't think the bottom line of the show should be that nerdy men need to wait for their not-nerdy girls to come around and "fix them" (like Bernadette seemed to imply in Locomotion, which really really irked me), but, rather, that both girls and guys expand their horizons thanks to each other.

So they have had lots of stories where we got hints of the girls getting into something the boys like (Penny and Bernie with videogames, all three with comic books, Amy loves making up games and has always showed an interest in D&D), but then it gets immediately dropped and forgotten and the next episode they're all rolling their eyes at how childish the boys are. It would be so nice to see these "momentary" obsessions carry on through the episodes and become a feature of their personality just like we see the boys mature and change because of their ladies' influence in their lives. Partners rub off each other in relationships, it's not a one-way street.

• Like 8

I think the writers need to realize that they need some continuity to hang the jokes on. Too often this season it felt like I was watching standup comedians delivering one shot zingers. There has been little or no development or continuity that I can see. It is as if they have lost the thread of their story. Good ideas aren't devloped and therefore wasted. Leonard's trip is never mentioned, nor was the D&D moment with Shamy. There has been a lot of noise, but no results. The jokes seem to be pulling the characters back, and are not very funny in many cases. They seem to be slipping into familiar sitcom tropes, instead of running with the things that made the show unique. The characters don't seem very happy either. It is like they are in some sort of limbo. Compared to last year, we're dead in the water on pretty much any front. Relationships are stagnant, as are careers. There's not much left in the season, so are we going to see some furious activity, or more nothing?