7.16 'the Table Polarization' (February 27)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I would rather they went and sat at their usual positions for Amy's sake than for Sheldon's.  

Let's face it, after seven-ish years, how much is everyone suppose to tolerate all of Sheldon's quirks before he has to man up, grow up or whatever and start facing some of his own?

There's been a lot of talk about Sheldon's OCD behavior's and well speaking from quite a bit of experience in that area, one will never modify their behavior if steps are taken to change it.  Yeah sure this is a comedy and it's not real life but it should kind of mimic real situations a bit in my humble opinion of course.

I don't think it's at all about winners, losers or who has a back bone or not.  It's about helping each other grow.  Leonard and Amy need to perform some behavior modification on Sheldon like he tried to do with Penny...

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheldon dislikes change and he should be accommodated because of that, don't just drop something on him that he clearly objects to

Is this irony? This would make him a special case, like he is differently abled, or something and those around him are carers. In some literature it's labelled as making "a reasonable allowance" for a disability.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Sheldon dislikes change and he should be accommodated because of that, don't just drop something on him that he clearly objects to

Rachel, girl you know I love you but Sheldon don't like anything if it's not his ideal.  We are talking about the same Sheldon that wouldn't let Leonard get "a" cat when he was down about Penny, yet Sheldon turned around got 20 or 25 cats when he had problems with Amy.  

I guess Sheldon has done to many things to prove it's not about change and more about what he wants and everyone else be darn.

Maybe Penny needs to practice having a backbone when it comes to Sheldon too.

When Penny sided with Bernie that they should move back to the coffee table and after Sheldon "big baby" speech, Leonard said to Penny this was your idea, and that she told him to stand up to Sheldon, Penny reach over and touches Leonard on the shoulder and say "forget it Leonard it's over", so once again Penny sided with anyone but Leonard, it may have been done for laugh but it doesn't change that once again when Penny tells Leonard to stand up for himself, she doesn't follow though on her end.

But then again isn't it up to Leonard to stand up for Leonard? Penny backing down is a separate issue.

I would rather they went and sat at their usual positions for Amy's sake than for Sheldon's.  

Let's face it, after seven-ish years, how much is everyone suppose to tolerate all of Sheldon's quirks before he has to man up, grow up or whatever and start facing some of his own?

There's been a lot of talk about Sheldon's OCD behavior's and well speaking from quite a bit of experience in that area, one will never modify their behavior if steps are taken to change it.  Yeah sure this is a comedy and it's not real life but it should kind of mimic real situations a bit in my humble opinion of course.

I don't think it's at all about winners, losers or who has a back bone or not.  It's about helping each other grow.  Leonard and Amy need to perform some behavior modification on Sheldon like he tried to do with Penny...

In fact, I posted about his OCD in this context initially, mentioning Amy's previous CBT attempts with Sheldon. However, the conversation ricocheted to the struggle over the table, rather than Amy's understanding and management of his behaviour. I've not seen the episode, but am assuming Penny's comment about the kiss was the trigger for this particular OCD fear spike.

I just rewatched the ep and something occurred to me. I remember on 7.14 when Sheldon said that he and Lenny would live together and many of us where like wth is Amy in this. I kind of think that in this ep she was added in the equation. It started as a fight of three roomates and that wasn't working for Sheldon until Amy was included in the argument. Personally I think Amy couldn't care less about the table and I even think she was smiling at the end didn't got why the gang went back to the couch for her. After that Sheldon should realize that if he lives with Lenny they will always gang up against him unless he has his own back up which is Amy. I would really love to know what Sheldon thinks now about the house arrangements. Does he still want to live with Lenny??

I don't think everyone moved back to the couch for Amy, but I don't think they did it just for Sheldon, either. 

...snip

Yeah, it was a battle of wills, more about whose opinion gets to matter more, rather than about whether or not they really needed a table.  And again, it wasn't even some deep-seated need of Leonard's.

...snip

Although I don't think Penny intended to use Sheldon's relationship with Amy to manipulate him into accepting the table, one could conceivably interpret it that way--you've changed to accomodate having a girlfriend, therefore you should accept this change as well.

It still sucks that unreasonable Sheldon gets the veto. In other cases "they had no other option" was his response. He didn't care they went to the cinema without him. This time he gloated about winning (face palm and arrghhh, nothing principled about his behaviour at all).

It still sucks that unreasonable Sheldon gets the veto. In other cases "they had no other option" was his response. He didn't care they went to the cinema without him. This time he gloated about winning (face palm and arrghhh, nothing principled about his behaviour at all).

Each season Sheldon comes off more and more as a bully and mean-spirited but most don't care because in the end they know he will always win.  Just think about what he said about Leonard in this episode -  (in relation to Leonard)

Sheldon said to Penny: " I have spent years turning this lump of clay into an acceptable conduit for my will..." 

And this is the very reason, I don't fall for the Sheldon is just being Sheldon.  Sheldon has said many of things that leads one to believe he knows what is doing, that he is hurting his friends feelings and that he just don't care.  Heck he has basically said he didn't care how others feel on a few occasion.

Don't try, you're just playing Pigeon Chess.

Well, that was uncalled for...

It's time the writers start letting Leonard grow up and standind up for himself is the first thing that needs worked on.  I am tired of this week after week aka Leonard the doormat when it comes to Sheldon and Penny.  

Also you find it funny and love putting down Leonard but some Leonard fans don't find it funny.

I find a little humour in Leonard acting pathetic or being a doormat...but I don't see any change in the show's dynamics in the near future....

And if Leonard was the one who had done any manipulation or had whined as much as Sheldon does in this episode...the episode clearly would have ended with Leonard being taught a lesson.....that's how its always been....

In fact, I posted about his OCD in this context initially, mentioning Amy's previous CBT attempts with Sheldon. However, the conversation ricocheted to the struggle over the table, rather than Amy's understanding and management of his behaviour. I've not seen the episode, but am assuming Penny's comment about the kiss was the trigger for this particular OCD fear spike.

You have the interesting posts, but go watch the episode finally :popcorn:

Kidding...

I just rewatched the ep and something occurred to me. I remember on 7.14 when Sheldon said that he and Lenny would live together and many of us where like wth is Amy in this. I kind of think that in this ep she was added in the equation. It started as a fight of three roomates and that wasn't working for Sheldon until Amy was included in the argument. Personally I think Amy couldn't care less about the table and I even think she was smiling at the end didn't got why the gang went back to the couch for her. After that Sheldon should realize that if he lives with Lenny they will always gang up against him unless he has his own back up which is Amy. I would really love to know what Sheldon thinks now about the house arrangements. Does he still want to live with Lenny??

I believe he doesn't exactly want it, but more he used to it, and also scared to live alone, then he'd be/feel helpless. Or scared to live with Amy, cause he find it'd be still too soon for them to be that intimate. IMO.

You have the interesting posts, but go watch the episode finally :popcorn:

Kidding...

Oh, if only it were that simple. Never any charge in poxy laptop, even if you can prise it off the kids, and not watching it on phone. Hate poxy E4, they're not showing the new ones till April, and then they'll be butchered because they schedule them before the watershed. :(

I'm not seeing this and many other episodes as Leonard being a doormat. In this episode let's suppose Leonard didn't move at the end. Furthermore since Some appear to be mad at Penny suppose she stayed put. Let's say they all did. It would of been 5 against 2. Would have that been a huge victory for Leonard? Would Penny be idolized now since she should stood by her man? The sole purpose of the table was for all to be together. That wasn't going to happen. Staying put wouldn't of made Leonard "the winner" or Penny a great girlfriend.

In regards to Sheldon and his supposed "medical condition" that some Sheldon have alluded to. If this is a true condition who is he seeing for this?I am no medical expert but I would think some sort of medication could be helpful to him. I had a friend growing up who did have some of Sheldon's "supposed" conditions and he was on medication.

Edited by Chrismo

I think the current discussion very well illustrates the kind of issues with how they are writing Sheldon.

I do personally believe Sheldon's own issues, OCD and the like, are responsible for how he behaves with those around him and how he reacts to things. And amen to Kasey's posts about that topic. I totally agree. @Chrismo, anyone with a basic understanding of Psychology can recognize Sheldon's symptoms from a mile away. Just because he's not officially diagnosed or being medicated doesn't mean he's not affected by it. That happens plenty in real life too.

But I also can't blame people for thinking he's just a selfish ass if the writers make him self-aware enough to manipulate people to get his way. And, in turn, they are making a disservice to people who do have these issues because they use the excuse of "Sheldon being Sheldon" to essentially get away writing some pretty mean stuff where he walks all over people.

Again, not talking necessarily about this specific ep, but more about the overall status of Sheldon. The writers are trying to have their cake and eat it too and it's not working anymore. Something's gotta give with Sheldon.

Edited by koops

I think the current discussion very well illustrates the kind of issues with how they are writing Sheldon.

I do personally believe Sheldon's own issues, OCD and the like, are responsible for how he behaves with those around him and how he reacts to things. And amen to Kasey's posts about that topic. I totally agree. @Chrismo, anyone with a basic understanding of Psychology can recognize Sheldon's symptoms from a mile away. Just because he's not officially diagnosed or being medicated doesn't mean he's not affected by it. That happens plenty in real life too.

But I also can't blame people for thinking he's just a selfish ass if the writers make him self-aware enough to manipulate people to get his way. And, in turn, they are making a disservice to people who do have these issues because they use the excuse of "Sheldon being Sheldon" to essentially get away writing some pretty mean stuff where he walks all over people.

First thanks Koops!  

Secondly, I think the writers are so resistant to label Sheldon regardless of how in your face his symptoms are because then it would be down right cruel to make jokes about either a physiological or psychological illness.  Trust me that there are enough stigmas.

That being said though I think it's getting too worn out to just going along with the "Sheldon being Sheldon" crap.  I know it's not easy to grow especially when you dislike change but I think they might lose some people whose attention span cannot support a snail's pace growth rate.

And I have to throw this out....is Amy being manipulative or is she really in effect Sheldon's enabler in a way that surpasses anything that Leonard has ever been?

edited to correct grammar...

Edited by Kasey

I don't see Amy as enabling Sheldon compared to the others. I see her more trying to get him to grow up more.   This particular episode may not have been the best example of that, but typically she makes him do more "mature" things such as apologize to those he has insulted, or  to look at things in a more mature fashion.   She has rarely catered to his "childish" side, but instead gotten him to do things he may think he doesn't want to do, but ends up not having a problem with it later.   I think when you baby talk him and cave in when he pouts, that is enabling him.   She doesn't do that.   In this particular episode, I think it was more manipulation, but necessary manipulation for him to see that their relationship is strong and that they can discuss things so there was no need to break-up.  

It was manipulation until the tag at the end. Then she became an enabler. if she sat with the others at the end it may have proven a point. Would Sheldon been fine sitting alone at the end? We'll never know. since Amy stayed Bernie, Penny and the others had no choice but to come down

I see no harm in a girlfriend supporting her boyfriend.Especially since Amy didn't really care about the table. She may suggested that they don't use that space but I really doubt if she would make a fuzz or have a fight with Sheldon for a table. At the end of the day is not even her house. I would much rather see Penny stand by Leonard even if the table is something stupid cause he tried to make a point. Amy had no point to make it wasn't her fight to give. And I don't think she made anyone do anythink.I even think she was kinda smiling then I really don't get why they thought she was sad.

So I had a chance to watch the episode on demand tonight. :)

I thought it was nice simple and excellent.

The interaction between Sheldon and Amy reminded me of The Closure Alternative except we see Amy nearly doing Jedi mind tricks this time. I thought her suggestion that Leonard was manipulating Sheldon was priceless.

Penny directing Leonard to the table she thought was best reminded me of some of my early relationships.

So what is really up with all the complaining about Sheldon. His antics in this episode was just a setup for Amy's lines. This episode was funny without being offensive. Nice. This episode was what I expect from a good sitcom.

It was manipulation until the tag at the end. Then she became an enabler. if she sat with the others at the end it may have proven a point. Would Sheldon been fine sitting alone at the end? We'll never know. since Amy stayed Bernie, Penny and the others had no choice but to come down

Oh sure they had a choice. They were actually all within earshot. That was a big enough group to have some at the table and some on the sofa. Amy was not so much enabling Sheldon but getting what she wanted (solidifying their coupleness).. Bernadette did not need to move.