The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.16 'the Table Polarization' (February 27)

Your Episode Rating  

91 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I just watched the promo(finally). Dare I say it's one of the best?? I love that they included the kiss. One can never watch it enough!!! Based on what Mayim wrote and Moralo said in that interview I didn't expect such a quick follow up.

Hahaha there is a survey!!!!! Lol!!! Amy's and Sheldon's faces at that moment -----> priceless!!!!! Did he say Amy made him a more loving and affectionate person(lol I literally JUST watched it and forgot if these are the actuall words :p but I am on my phone can't check it now). But it was a really sweet thing to say even if he was freaking out <3

eta: ok it's affectionate and open minded...still pretty sweet!!!!

Yes. you figured it out..."affectionate and open minded" is what he says.

Overall what draws me to that scene is the facial expression he has when he says it.  While he is saying what she has done to him, his face is sort of soft and almost smiling (like he is pleased).  I think that is amazing how Jim does such a small facial thing and it can really make it seem important.  Because when he finishes his line with "and that stops now" he has to change into a bit more "adamant" look on his face.  It is just these small nuances that show you the inner turmoil he has.  He likes who he is with her and because of her, but at the same time his mind is telling him he has to remain robotic and selfish.   So it is so much fun to see how one line can be delivered by him and show that he is having that argument within just from his facial expression.  Kudos to Jim!

Chiany, I think he means open-minded about a lot of things, but also about love and caring.  I think she has opened his mind to other sciences, other activities than he has been used to in the past (remember he found he liked the books she reads :girlwink: ), etc.  I think he just means it more in general, but clearly also implies that she has opened his heart to more than he ever expected to find himself open to. Go Amy!   : :girldance:

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 6

Yes. you figured it out..."affectionate and open minded" is what he says.

Overall what draws me to that scene is the facial expression he has when he says it.  While he is saying what she has done to him, his face is sort of soft and almost smiling (like he is pleased).  I think that is amazing how Jim does such a small facial thing and it can really make it seem important.  Because when he finishes his line with "and that stops now" he has to change into a bit more "adamant" look on his face.  It is just these small nuances that show you the inner turmoil he has.  He likes who he is with her and because of her, but at the same time his mind is telling him he has to remain robotic and selfish.   So it is so much fun to see how one line can be delivered by him and show that he is having that argument within just from his facial expression.  Kudos to Jim!

Chiany, I think he means open-minded about a lot of things, but also about love and caring.  I think she has opened his mind to other sciences, other activities than he has been used to in the past (remember he found he liked the books she reads :girlwink: ), etc.  I think he just means it more in general, but clearly also implies that she has opened his heart to more than he ever expected to find himself open to. Go Amy!   : :girldance:

I saw that too, star! As he says the word "person" he seems to smile a little bit. It's tiny things like these that reveal his true feelings on the matter.

• Like 1

I saw that too, star! As he says the word "person" he seems to smile a little bit. It's tiny things like these that reveal his true feelings on the matter.

This makes absolute sense because recent interviews did state that Jim and Mayim both take their characters very seriously. 

The feels.

• Like 4

Just saw the extended promo.

Am I the only one shocked by Leonard's statement: " you didn't have a personality, you just had some shows you liked "?

I know it is supposed to be funny, but to say to someone - and to Sheldon nonetheless - that he "doesn't have a personality" is really mean. If Leonard wanted to comfort Sheldon, he couldn't have done worse.

I hate the promo because of the split picture, and I hate the extended promo even more because of that line.

• Like 3

Am I the only one shocked by Leonard's statement: " you didn't have a personality, you just had some shows you liked "?

I think we need to see the whole scene, episode.

But to me it sounds like a punch line, which we need to see the rest to understand it.

Edited by Chiany
  • Like 2

I know it is supposed to be funny, but to say to someone - and to Sheldon nonetheless - that he "doesn't have a personality" is really mean. If Leonard wanted to comfort Sheldon, he couldn't have done worse.

We don't know what's being said before or after so it's a bit hard to judge. But however.. imo, Sheldon has said a lot worse and a lot meaner things to Leonard during the years!

It's also a sitcom show, and the jokes comes of as mean a lot of the times. What I've heard about tbbt is that when a joke comes of a little bit too mean the audiences goes "boo" and the writers go in and change it. Obviously this was something the audience was ok with so maybe it won't turn out as bad as we think.

Edited by Jaime
  • Like 1

To me it isn't so much that it is mean, as much as it makes no sense. It's such a stupid line. You can say many mean things to Sheldon that are true, and he would deserve to hear, but to say he had no personality is complete nonsense.

• Like 5

Maybe, it was that Leonard didn't consider being a personality without being in a relationship. OK, it sounds stupid, lol It was said, I think, just for funzies, just an ordinary punch-line.

Edited by Frieda Rainstorm
  • Like 1

To me it isn't so much that it is mean, as much as it makes no sense. It's such a stupid line. You can say many mean things to Sheldon that are true, and he would deserve to hear, but to say he had no personality is complete nonsense.

Or we could just wait and see the whole scene and stop going bat-crap crazy over every goddamn out-of-context line uttered on a promo...

Nah, that's just crazy talk!

• Like 3

koops, I think it's a pretty accurate description of Sheldon, if it's the Sheldon in The Staircase Implementation. Which is probably what they were referring to.

Maybe the reason Leonard says that thing about his personality is because the personality is what Sheldon is talking about. It would turn out as a very wierd scene if Sheldon was talking about his personality and Leonard would go attack him about something completely else.

I hate the promo because of the split picture, and I hate the extended promo even more because of that line.

Then what about Sheldon's line.. "I've allowed her to change my personality"

It was Sheldon who asked Amy to be his girlfriend , it was Sheldon who said he working on his fears so that he can have sex with Amy....

and now he is saying things like that in the promo.....so either Sheldon was blissfully ignorant till now or a hypocrite or an idiot......

The notion that Sheldon has now realized how Amy has changed him kind of ridiculous given how he was shown to be "working" on his fears to sleep with Amy....    surely if he was working on his fears he had to realize he was changing himself......what a tool.....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

koops, I think it's a pretty accurate description of Sheldon, if it's the Sheldon in The Staircase Implementation. Which is probably what they were referring to.

I thought of Sheldon in "TSI" and he didn't have a personality per say.

• Like 1

Then what about Sheldon's line.. "I've allowed her to change my personality" It was Sheldon who asked Amy to be his girlfriend , it was Sheldon who said he working on his fears so that he can have sex with Amy.... and now he is saying things like that in the promo.....so either Sheldon was blissfully ignorant till now or a hypocrite or an idiot...... The notion that Sheldon has now realized how Amy has changed him kind of ridiculous given how he was shown to be "working" on his fears to sleep with Amy....    surely if he was working on his fears he had to realize he was changing himself......what a tool.....

Many people are changed by the influence of others and don't necessarily realize it right away, until someone else points it out--oftentimes the changes are so slow or incremental that one can't notice but in hindsight. And I think that's especially true for Sheldon, who would probably at first try to believe that any differences were of his own choice, when in fact they were through the influence of others.

And I think this would be especially true (his initial denial) if he felt the changes to his personality were as a result of something he mostly disdains, like love and romance, blossoming sexuality, etc.. He might be more open to consider changes to himself if he perceived them as intellectual growth, getting smarter, and that sort of thing, but it would be harder for him to admit, to himself or anyone else, that he has changed because of love--his romantic love for someone--when he has always talked about such entanglements as a waste of intellectual energy.

While he sometimes seems to be happy to almost brag (almost) about having a girlfriend, I think that his pride, especially in a moment like this, where he's fighting over change to his life, would get in the way of him admitting any such influence.

As for Leonard's line, I don't have a problem with it. I think it's the type of exasperated barb one might toss out in such a situation, especially considering that Sheldon is often more about his rules and rituals than he is about what one might describe as personality. Of course it's not true, but that doesn't mean that Leonard might not say such a thing in such a moment.

• Like 5

As for the Shamy Break up. I wish the writer would finally let Raj all the way out of the closet. Then hook Raj and Amy up as a Platonic couple so Amy is still sexually frustrated.

I'd love it if they repeated the s4 finale but with Amy and Raj instead. Again, they wouldn't go through with it. Or possibly Sheldon and Amy do break up and Raj goes over to Amy's, so Sheldon storms over there, they argue a little (in a comical way) and then Amy takes Raj to her bedroom, he is excited about it but Amy says it's just to trick Sheldon (kind of like the Friends episode when Rachel steals Monica's thunder).

Lucy was a great character and since Raj is failing to pick up women (they only keep them for one episode, like Yvette) I'd like him to finally realize he and Stuart should be together.

I'd love it if they repeated the s4 finale but with Amy and Raj instead. Again, they wouldn't go through with it. Or possibly Sheldon and Amy do break up and Raj goes over to Amy's, so Sheldon storms over there, they argue a little (in a comical way) and then Amy takes Raj to her bedroom, he is excited about it but Amy says it's just to trick Sheldon (kind of like the Friends episode when Rachel steals Monica's thunder).

Lucy was a great character and since Raj is failing to pick up women (they only keep them for one episode, like Yvette) I'd like him to finally realize he and Stuart should be together.

Hmm...that seems very manipulative.  No, I wouldn't like that.  :hysteric:   I think it would be nice for Sheldon to want Amy all on his own..not to be manipulated into anything. Plus if Raj wasn't in on the plan, he might misinterpret things and well it could get messy.   It sounds like a very bad plan.  Even if he is in on it...it just isn't right to manipulate.  :nono:

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 1

Sure, that fits Amy's character...

• Like 1

Then what about Sheldon's line.. "I've allowed her to change my personality"

It was Sheldon who asked Amy to be his girlfriend , it was Sheldon who said he working on his fears so that he can have sex with Amy....

and now he is saying things like that in the promo.....so either Sheldon was blissfully ignorant till now or a hypocrite or an idiot......

The notion that Sheldon has now realized how Amy has changed him kind of ridiculous given how he was shown to be "working" on his fears to sleep with Amy....    surely if he was working on his fears he had to realize he was changing himself......what a tool.....

Sheldon will not have a linear progression of change or growth. We know what can happen when he goes out of his comfort zone...

from The Thespian Catalyst

And really he is not an idiot. He is smart enough to perceive the potential for shipwreck a relationship can have.

"Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear to Tread"

Edited by djsurrey

I did not like the season 4 finale. So no I'd hate that. Amy has more class than that I think.

I am one of the few that enjoyed the Lucy character.

• Like 1

I did not like the season 4 finale. So no I'd hate that. Amy has more class than that I think.

I am one of the few that enjoyed the Lucy character.

I liked Lucy too, she and Raj clicked very well imho.