The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.16 'the Table Polarization' (February 27)

Your Episode Rating  

91 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

IKEA is for sure getting a lot of free promotion in this show. third time it's mentioned.

• Like 2

IKEA is for sure getting a lot of free promotion in this show. third time it's mentioned.

Well, their meatballs are very tasty.

• Like 3

Then what about Sheldon's line.. "I've allowed her to change my personality"

It was Sheldon who asked Amy to be his girlfriend , it was Sheldon who said he working on his fears so that he can have sex with Amy....

and now he is saying things like that in the promo.....so either Sheldon was blissfully ignorant till now or a hypocrite or an idiot......

The notion that Sheldon has now realized how Amy has changed him kind of ridiculous given how he was shown to be "working" on his fears to sleep with Amy....    surely if he was working on his fears he had to realize he was changing himself......what a tool.....

IMO, and I know I'm in the minority here, at the moment, the characters feel all over the place. And IMO, that is because they are trying to grow them and evolve them while at the same time stubbornly hanging onto the same old jokes and characterizations. It's not just Sheldon. While I do think you can explain away Sheldon's behavior in this promo the way Phanta nicely did, I also think the main reason for this plot is sort of an attempt to the classic punchline to kill the sentimentality of the kiss, just coming a week later rather than right after the fact as they usually do. The writers trying to restablish the status quo of Sheldon being Sheldon (in this case, freaking out over things). They've done it before this season too, with Itchy Brain and with Discovery Dissipation.

A part of me accepts that this is classic "Sheldon", a part of me thinks it's getting a bit predictable now and unnecessary (in the case of Discovery Dissipation, it actually annoyed me possibly even more than this one). I do agree that linear progression is not realistic, especially for someone like Sheldon, but in S7 I think they could allow him to show at least some more consistent progression.

• Like 6

IMO, and I know I'm in the minority here, at the moment, the characters feel all over the place. And IMO, that is because they are trying to grow them and evolve them while at the same time stubbornly hanging onto the same old jokes and characterizations. It's not just Sheldon. While I do think you can explain away Sheldon's behavior in this promo the way Phanta nicely did, I also think the main reason for this plot is sort of an attempt to the classic punchline to kill the sentimentality of the kiss, just coming a week later rather than right after the fact as they usually do. The writers trying to restablish the status quo of Sheldon being Sheldon (in this case, freaking out over things). They've done it before this season too, with Itchy Brain and with Discovery Dissipation.

A part of me accepts that this is classic "Sheldon", a part of me thinks it's getting a bit predictable now and unnecessary (in the case of Discovery Dissipation, it actually annoyed me possibly even more than this one). I do agree that linear progression is not realistic, especially for someone like Sheldon, but in S7 I think they could allow him to show at least some more consistent progression.

Not alone.  Very much agree!

Edited by stardustmelody

I don't think consistent progression is in the cards for Sheldon. He sees himself as above the ordinary. You are expecting him to become more like ordinary people. That is not going to come easily for Sheldon.

From s5e6

Scene: A park bench. Sheldon is sitting. A stranger sits next to him.

Sheldon: Look at the two of us. Me, a highly regarded physicist. The kind of mind that comes along once, maybe twice in a generation. You, the common man, tired from your labours as a stockbroker, or vacuum cleaner salesman, or bootblack. But deep down inside, apparently we’re just two peas in a pod. A regular pea, and the kind of pea that comes along once, maybe twice in a generation. Rain. Another great equalizer. Falling on the head of the brilliant and the unremarkable alike. (The stranger puts up an umbrella) Smarty-pants.

So loves first kiss has Sheldon worried. How could it be otherwise. It does not mean he will actually ever really be the same. A part of him will resist this.

I don't think consistent progression is in the cards for Sheldon. He sees himself as above the ordinary. You are expecting him to become more like ordinary people. That is not going to come easily for Sheldon.

From s5e6

So loves first kiss has Sheldon worried. How could it be otherwise. It does not mean he will actually ever really be the same. A part of him will resist this.

I never once said I expect Sheldon to act like an ordinary person, or to develop linearly and effortlessly. That would be boring. Nor do I want him to. In fact, I have often complained about how Amy has been normalized too much and that if there is one thing I have to fault her on, is in her attempts to force stereotypical romance out of Sheldon, what with her suits and fancy restaurants and wine.

But I do expect him to act like the smart man he is and the story to have some continuity. Having him be incredibly perceptive, mature and self-aware in certain episodes, many of which were many major episodes, not throw-aways (6x07, 6x10, 6x14, 6x16, 6x23) only to then pretend it never happened, is going to greatly cheapen the moments where he shows development, because the viewers are going to stop buying it at some point. And therefore I wonder what point there is in making those big moments happen in the first place.

And while I can even understand how he might feel all over the place regarding his feeling over the kiss (I did predict he was going to struggle), like I said previously, this is not an issue I have just with Sheldon or just regarding Shamy. The episode that annoyed me the most this season was Discovery Dissipation, because it took everything that was new and fresh and admirable about scientist!Sheldon in Romance Resonance and walked all over it, resetting him back to childish prick. And that was about his profession, nothing to do with Amy. Or, for example, I do not understand the writers' obsession with clinging onto the trope of Leonard acting like sex with Penny is such a rarity for him, when he's been in a relationship with her for over two years now. That's what I mean by desperately holding onto the same jokes when they're not even relevant to the story anymore: Leonard pining for sex with Penny does not make a ounce of sense anymore.  

A quote from two years ago might tell me where Sheldon started from. But I don't think it's too much to ask that two years down the line, while Sheldon might still be "Sheldon" on many, more or less trivial, things, he starts showing some signs that he has built on what he's been clearly shown to have worked on and learned in the meanwhile. I actually thought he showed more self-awareness in Rhinitis, in that particular scene you cited, than in some of the episodes that aired in the last year or so. Otherwise it does seem too much like I'm watching Maggie Simpson. 

• Like 4

I do agree with Leonard to a certain extent that Sheldpn has no personality. Depending if were focusing on his cognitive or social tendencies or traits. So if were talking cognitive i agree la k of continuity, he has definiye personality, ill say quirks. But socially he aint mr larbardo lol, so im just sayong depends on what aspect of Sheldons personality the writers were refering too. I do agree tho the writers dont focis pn the finer detail like they used too, shich set it apart from other sitcoms, i just think the show where it is, massive changes around the corner. And with 7 characters to write for, three relationships, opposed to 5 characters, 1 relationship things flowed much easier. I do agree that the writers are holding onto old jokrs and characterizations etc Thats because its safe and reliable, tpptb know ppl hate change, they ha e already changed their precious Sheldon. So any more like Shamy kissing more, Shamy living in domestic bliss, resist to change the main archs of the show (which looks like wont be happenning, re threes a company). I think they are afraid of changing the show too much, or alienating anyone else, the L/S arch has been the mainstay of he show. So with lenny getting engaged, Shamy moving forward, holding pnto old characterizations and jokrs, theyre resisting change i feel, biut its inevitable.

I never once said I expect Sheldon to act like an ordinary person, or to develop linearly and effortlessly. That would be boring. Nor do I want him to. In fact, I have often complained about how Amy has been normalized too much and that if there is one thing I have to fault her on, is in her attempts to force stereotypical romance out of Sheldon, what with her suits and fancy restaurants and wine.

But I do expect him to act like the smart man he is and the story to have some continuity. Having him be incredibly perceptive, mature and self-aware in certain episodes, many of which were many major episodes, not throw-aways (6x07, 6x10, 6x14, 6x16, 6x23) only to then pretend it never happened, is going to greatly cheapen the moments where he shows development, because the viewers are going to stop buying it at some point. And therefore I wonder what point there is in making those big moments happen in the first place.

And while I can even understand how he might feel all over the place regarding his feeling over the kiss (I did predict he was going to struggle), like I said previously, this is not an issue I have just with Sheldon or just regarding Shamy. The episode that annoyed me the most this season was Discovery Dissipation, because it took everything that was new and fresh and admirable about scientist!Sheldon in Romance Resonance and walked all over it, resetting him back to childish prick. And that was about his profession, nothing to do with Amy. Or, for example, I do not understand the writers' obsession with clinging onto the trope of Leonard acting like sex with Penny is such a rarity for him, when he's been in a relationship with her for over two years now. That's what I mean by desperately holding onto the same jokes when they're not even relevant to the story anymore: Leonard pining for sex with Penny does not make a ounce of sense anymore.  

A quote from two years ago might tell me where Sheldon started from. But I don't think it's too much to ask that two years down the line, while Sheldon might still be "Sheldon" on many, more or less trivial, things, he starts showing some signs that he has built on what he's been clearly shown to have worked on and learned in the meanwhile. I actually thought he showed more self-awareness in Rhinitis, in that particular scene you cited, than in some of the episodes that aired in the last year or so. Otherwise it does seem too much like I'm watching Maggie Simpson. 

I saw that old scene not as an example of self awareness on the part of Sheldon but as an open channel from the writers on Sheldon's character. His central fear of being anything but extraordinary. Sheldon who has insight into string theory and the hidden detail of the physical world of particle physics yet lacks the foresight to carry an umbrella.

I expect this is relevant to The Table Polarization but I'm not saying much more until I see the new episode. When it comes to human interaction Sheldon is not at all extraordinary. He is socially retarded. This can't be fixed easily or quickly if at all.

I saw that old scene not as an example of self awareness on the part of Sheldon but as an open channel from the writers on Sheldon's character. His central fear of being anything but extraordinary. Sheldon who has insight into string theory and the hidden detail of the physical world of particle physics yet lacks the foresight to carry an umbrella.

I expect this is relevant to The Table Polarization but I'm not saying much more until I see the new episode. When it comes to human interaction Sheldon is not at all extraordinary. He is socially retarded. This can't be fixed easily or quickly if at all.

I think I have to agree with you here--Sheldon is a combination of brilliance and foolishness, he's a genius and he's an idiot, often because of his genius.  His thinking can be incredibly convoluted and entirely impractical because he overthinks everything.

I do agree that the writers can have him be more mature or clued in, or more foolish and ridiculous, depending on their need for the episode, and that's kind of true with all of the characters and their extremes at times.  So, no, the writing isn't perfect and can be a little trapped in their own cliche at times.

But I also agree that Sheldon isn't going to be a true "grown-up" or outgrow his childish, self-centered ways just because he has a girlfriend.  He has had no real need to be all that mature for all these years, having been coddled by his mother, to some degree, and somewhat enabled by his friends, and even by the university, to a degree, in his adult life.  Leonard and the gang may put up with him because a) it's too hard to fight against his persistent ways and b ) he is, in some ways, only an extreme version of themselves.  The university probably puts up with his quirks because they want his genius on their staff.  If he does ever win the Nobel, they could brag about having him on staff and his prize-winning work being done there, etc.

Anyway, since the job of the show is to be funny and the characters are always going to be somewhat exaggerated in their extremes, I think that any progress or growth is never going to be "realistic" or steady.  They're probably always going to fall back on the quirkier, sillier aspects of any of the characters in order to take advantage of that for the comedy.

• Like 1

I fully agree with this!  I do think that when you make their characters too much of a "cartoon" it gets old and tiresome.    I did read Phanta's comments above and she makes great points in her comments, but I do take issue with this in bold:

I think I have to agree with you here--Sheldon is a combination of brilliance and foolishness, he's a genius and he's an idiot, often because of his genius.  His thinking can be incredibly convoluted and entirely impractical because he overthinks everything.

I do agree that the writers can have him be more mature or clued in, or more foolish and ridiculous, depending on their need for the episode, and that's kind of true with all of the characters and their extremes at times.  So, no, the writing isn't perfect and can be a little trapped in their own cliche at times.

But I also agree that Sheldon isn't going to be a true "grown-up" or outgrow his childish, self-centered ways just because he has a girlfriend.  He has had no real need to be all that mature for all these years, having been coddled by his mother, to some degree, and somewhat enabled by his friends, and even by the university, to a degree, in his adult life.  Leonard and the gang may put up with him because a) it's too hard to fight against his persistent ways and b ) he is, in some ways, only an extreme version of themselves.  The university probably puts up with his quirks because they want his genius on their staff.  If he does ever win the Nobel, they could brag about having him on staff and his prize-winning work being done there, etc.

Anyway, since the job of the show is to be funny and the characters are always going to be somewhat exaggerated in their extremes, I think that any progress or growth is never going to be "realistic" or steady.  They're probably always going to fall back on the quirkier, sillier aspects of any of the characters in order to take advantage of that for the comedy.

I think they can accomplish both the last sentence above about being quirky and silly in order to take advantage of comedy, while still showing progress and growth.  I think you can do both.  The key word that I agree with Phanta on is "realistic".  Sheldon will never be "realistic" in things, but that does not mean that the writers can't achieve continued steady growth of the character, while still maintaining the silly and quirky things that make us laugh.   They are clever and can pull it off.   I think this is where Koops' statement rings very true.  The writers have been desperate to hang on to the same jokes when they are no longer relevant.  And if you force them to be relevant after you have created big "progress" moments, then they are no longer funny, so they have not achieved their purpose then if that is the case.  

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 2

I fully agree with this!  I do think that when you make their characters too much of a "cartoon" it gets old and tiresome.    I did read Phanta's comments above and she makes great points in her comments, but I do take issue with this in bold:

I think they can accomplish both the last sentence above about being quirky and silly in order to take advantage of comedy, while still showing progress and growth.  I think you can do both.  The key word that I agree with Phanta on is "realistic".  Sheldon will never be "realistic" in things, but that does not mean that the writers can't achieve continued steady growth of the character, while still maintaining the silly and quirky things that make us laugh.   They are clever and can pull it off.   I think this is where Koops' statement rings very true.  The writers have been desperate to hang on to the same jokes when they are no longer relevant.  And if you force them to be relevant after you have created big "progress" moments, then they are no longer funny, so they have not achieved their purpose then if that is the case.  

I totally agree with you both (especially bold parts).

@Phanta (and therefore DJ): I agree that Sheldon is a mixture of genius and foolishness and that that is what's great about his character. Nobody expects Amy to suddenly be a magic wand that will cure him of all his issues. You make a great point, Phanta, about the fact that Sheldon has never needed to "grow" or learn and mature because of the circumstances he's been in his whole life never required him to. Now he's reaching a stage where some changes are going to be necessary if he doesn't want to end up being left alone in the apartment with his garden chairs in a few years, when everyone else has moved on with their lives while he is stuck spinning his wheels. Which, while it's something that he might not have minded 10 years ago, I'm sure that he would mind now that he's experienced what it's like to have his friends and Amy. And that change is not going to come easy or quickly. It would be boring if it did.

At the same time, I think that once you have a string of episodes (not one or two throw-away lines, but a long, important character-arc), showing that Sheldon IS growing and learning and being self-aware (which happened VERY heavily last season from 6x01 through to 6x16 and then in 6x23, not just about Amy, but about Leonard and himself too), falling back onto jokes and patterns that are no longer relevant can make a lot of damage and cause a lot of frustration with the audience. And the frustration is very high right now, reading review sites, and not just with Shamy. I've read a lot of complaints about Lenny too recently, for the same reasons: same jokes over and over again.

Therefore, I also agree with Star that comedy and growth (or, rather than growth per se, novel jokes/reactions) are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Sheldon in S4 was incredibly funny (while at the same time showing a side of himself that we had rarely seen before) after he befriended Amy. It was refreshing, like Jim said, to see him be around someone he genuinely liked being around, and actively pursuing her and building a satisfying relationship with her. So they *have* done it before. The problem isn't also the fact that they occasionally fall back onto old cliche' as much as the fact that they do it too often and not even thinking about whether that particular cliche' makes sense anymore (like the Leonard-wanting-sex-from-Penny thing I mentioned before).

If this show started having a bit more consistency and direction, I think it seriously has the potential to blow most other historical sitcoms out of the water: they have incredibly complex and intriguing characters, and every single one of their actors is incredibly talented. I think they've just started tapping into the goldmine here. 

• Like 4

@koops. In regard to the "goldmine", they are now too big to fail. They have gone into syndication and as Tensor regularly lets us know, they are doing well on the popularity front. Commercially they have reached a level that few shows do - so they have done their Apollo program already.  The question is what other dimensions are they able to extend into within the confines of the format and its environment. Perhaps they can stretch further creatively - but there may not be motivation for that. They don't need to innovate as they have really accomplished their mission. They just have to play it out to the end - or beyond. BUT maybe now they have hit the moon, they can refocus on Mars. I'd hate to see this show as a walking corpse.

Also, gosh - so many shows disrupted because of the cold weather sports carnivale. So annoying. Two mid-season hiatuses this year is not helping. Looking forward to getting back in the rythym for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

@koops. In regard to the "goldmine", they are now too big to fail. They have gone into syndication and as Tensor regularly lets us know, they are doing well on the popularity front. Commercially they have reached a level that few shows do - so they have done their Apollo program already.  The question is what other dimensions are they able to extend into within the confines of the format and its environment. Perhaps they can stretch further creatively - but there may not be motivation for that. They don't need to innovate as they have really accomplished their mission. They just have to play it out to the end - or beyond. BUT maybe now they have hit the moon, they can refocus on Mars. I'd hate to see this show as a walking corpse.

Also, gosh - so many shows disrupted because of the cold weather sports carnivale. So annoying. Two mid-season hiatuses this year is not helping. Looking forward to getting back in the rythym for the rest of the season.

I hope they decide to travel on towards "Mars" instead of staying at the "Moon."   I agree about the sports hiatuses.   :girlsigh:  But then again, at least this way we know we will see some new episode all the way into May.  Otherwise they would be done quicker.    :girlwink:

• Like 1

Two things.  First, with the winter hiatuses, we only have the last two weeks of March, for the NCAA tournament, and April 17 without new episodes.   Second, I would point out that TBBT's ratings appear to be a bit of a mix this year.  

In demo, in terms of raw numbers, it's down, year to year, by nine-hundreths (0.09), however,  While being down nine-hundredths of a ratings point (5.36 to 5.27) may seem as if things are turning down, it is the only broadcast show with a demo above 5.0 and the closest show is under 4.0.   Also, it needs to be pointed out that overall television viewing is down 9% so far this year.  Based on the decrease in television viewing, TBBT should have a demo around 4.83, almost a half a point lower than they are right now(5.27).   Actually, although they are down ever so slightly, in terms of raw numbers, they are actually growing compared to television overall.   

In terms of viewers, it's pulling in about 1.5 million more than last year, 18.24 million to 16.77 million.   So, unlike the case of the demo, even in raw numbers, its up.  Including the 9% reduction in viewers, TBBT should have about 15.1 million viewers to stay even.   However, it's up just over 3.1 million from that number.  So, in terms of viewers, it's gotten even bigger, both in raw numbers and compared to the downturn in overall television viewers.

• Like 5

@tensor

NCAA? What the blazes is that? Not (inter)Nationally Cause Another Annoyance? Is this a plot? Is there a bridge involved? Arrggh.  I would have had something to look forward to on the long weekend. So, sir, give me the good news - when will s7 end and does this mean a shorter gap till s8?

(and I think the table is a good idea - its much better for the integrity and maintenance of the floor, carpet and lounge)

• Like 1

@tensor

NCAA? What the blazes is that? Not (inter)Nationally Cause Another Annoyance? Is this a plot? Is there a bridge involved? Arrggh.  I would have had something to look forward to on the long weekend. So, sir, give me the good news - when will s7 end and does this mean a shorter gap till s8?

(and I think the table is a good idea - its much better for the integrity and maintenance of the floor, carpet and lounge)

National Collegiate Athletic Association. The last two weeks of March (and a Monday in April) are when the national college basketball championships are held. CBS has the television rights to broadcast it and the first two weeks of the tournament(the last two weeks of March) there are games on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Which is why the schedule shows No Show for the 20th and 27th of March.

The season ends on May 15th. As for a shorter time between seasons, we'll have to wait to see what CBS is going to do with TBBT and Thursday night football.

• Like 3

Many people are changed by the influence of others and don't necessarily realize it right away, until someone else points it out--oftentimes the changes are so slow or incremental that one can't notice but in hindsight. And I think that's especially true for Sheldon, who would probably at first try to believe that any differences were of his own choice, when in fact they were through the influence of others.

And I think this would be especially true (his initial denial) if he felt the changes to his personality were as a result of something he mostly disdains, like love and romance, blossoming sexuality, etc.. He might be more open to consider changes to himself if he perceived them as intellectual growth, getting smarter, and that sort of thing, but it would be harder for him to admit, to himself or anyone else, that he has changed because of love--his romantic love for someone--when he has always talked about such entanglements as a waste of intellectual energy.

While he sometimes seems to be happy to almost brag (almost) about having a girlfriend, I think that his pride, especially in a moment like this, where he's fighting over change to his life, would get in the way of him admitting any such influence

Sheldon will not have a linear progression of change or growth. We know what can happen when he goes out of his comfort zone...

And really he is not an idiot. He is smart enough to perceive the potential for shipwreck a relationship can have.

"Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear to Tread"

Sheldon asking Amy out was his own choice....

Sheldon trying to overcome his fear so that he could have sex with Amy was his own choice....hell , he even gave a lecture to Penny and Leonard when he told them how hard it is for him regarding the whole touching business when Penny asked him the big question.... so yeah this whole thing about not realizing he was changing till is kind of ridiculous.....

So if Sheldon till now has not realized that he has changed or has been changing, he either is a hypocrite or an idiot or is blissfully ignorant...

And as far as his comfort zone is considered....he went out of his comfort zone so many times by now that I can hardly understand what his limits are....

Edited by vasu

That was funny how Amy and Penny were both controling their guys.  I was a little disappointed on the Howard plot, I thought it was a little insulting of Howard.  Except the blood pressure part, I didn't think that part was too funny.

• Like 1