The Sheldon-Leonard Friendship

Sheldon saying "please don't hurt my friend" was actually a throw away line, a one time thing for one scene to get a particular response from the viewers.  Sheldon's really feelings for Leonard are shown in the "The Itchy Brain Simulation", that was a whole episode letting us know, sort of defining, how Sheldon felt about other people when it came to him.  Sheldon doesn't put anyone before him and doesn't go out of his way for anyone, he tortured Leonard, so hurting his friend physically seems not to be a problem for him.  They may have been friends once, but I now wonder why Leonard stays there and why  Penny lets him.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree. I'm beyond excited for the Sheldon/Leonard hug. Again I tried to resist the temptation of reading the taping report only to end up caving, of course, haha. I really do love their friendship.

*sniff* so adorable........

I suspect that the writers may have realized that Sheldon was getting to or there, and this is their way of resting the character. I imagine Jim Parsons was getting a bit uncomfortable with the way he

II was just saying a lot of people interpreted that scene as Sheldon freaking out, not only over L and P breaking up but order of his life changing, that's not opinion, but fact an observation. 

Actaully, it IS an opinion, based on interpretations of an observation.  Different people interperate different scenes in various manners.  Unless it's specifically stated, (for instance Leonard proposing(after Penny did) and Penny accepting) in the show, it's an interpretation, and therefore an opinion.  

• Like 1

I think this is really one of the strongest parts of the show, the friendship between Leonard and Sheldon,  and I think Johnny and Jim have such great chemistry together, I sometimes pine for the simplicity of Seasons 1-3, where it was all about the friendships and the girl that lived across the hall.  

• Like 1

As Tensor said, its all opinion. SRAM, you're clearly not a fan of Sheldon and that's fine. We all have our reasons for liking or disliking characters in shows we watch. Sometimes we start off liking them and then they change and we don't like the change. That's fine.

For me, and I've probably said this already in this thread, it comes down to personal perception of what friendship is. I have another take on the debate though. Most define whether this is a friendship or not by their own definition of friendship. I'd rather look at what the actual characters seem ( I say seem because its just an opinion)  to define as friendship in their experience - rather than ours.

I have an affinity for both Leonard and Sheldon. Their personalities mirror different aspects of mine. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. To me, like me perhaps, they don't have typical definitions of friendship. Leonard seems to see friendship as a a relationship where he puts in a lot of effort regardless of what he gets back in return. He is quite a selfless friend in some ways. Sheldon can be an absolute pain in the arse, treat Leonard at times with absolute disdain and disrespect, expect Leonard to do so much for little in return and yet Leonard keeps giving. At times, its what kept Leonard connected to Penny at times as well ( but that's for another debate). 

At the same time, Leonard also sees friendship as companionship with someone who is interesting to be with. For all his obvious, exaggerated faults, Leonard enjoys Sheldon's company. He likes talking to him, he finds him fascinating, they share many interests and, despite Sheldon's complete lack of regard for Leonard's intellect, he enjoys debating and arguing about both scientific and pop culture topics. Friends can be like that. Bloody annoying and bloody enjoyable at the same time. 

I think Penny understands both of these aspects of Leonard's concept of friendship and its why she hasn't tried to break the bond in all the episodes they have been close to breaking point.

Sheldon, on the other hand, clearly has a more selfish concept of friendship but there are some similarities as well. I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread that Sheldon is a highly exaggerated but still accurate personification of me. He suffers badly from a superiority complex, struggles to handle being proven wrong, doesn't suffer fools easily, can't handle mediocrity well and has a tendency to point out the faults of others while ignoring his own. That's me. Only difference is I have a filter. Sheldon doesn't. And yet, like me, Sheldon still has friends. Me, because I also have the friendship concept of Leonard - I am a selfless supporter of all my friends. Sheldon? - why he has friends is harder to explain but here goes.

One of the great skills of being a forum poster is being a cherry picker. Anyone can find examples out of 160 episodes to say Sheldon is no friend to anyone, in this thread's case - Leonard. Itchy Brain is a classic example of this. He was a complete arse in that. No argument here. He was a dick in Table as well. Plenty of episodes have individual scenes where Sheldon is not a nice person. Of course that is the point of the character in the show. This annoying, self centred, socially inept man-child who both wants to be alone and yet continues to seek company. Is he anyone's friend? By our definition, maybe not. By his definition, yes. 

Is Sheldon loyal? He thinks so. One fan's throwaway line is another fan's example. I believe in "don't hurt my friend". I believe in "No your my friend and I'm sorry" - if don't hurt my friend is a throwaway then the kick me sign is just as much. The hug was real in Proton. Despite being typically insulting, he supported Leonard against Speckerman the bully. He was true to his promise to watch over Penny while Leonard was gone because Leonard asked him. Again, he had to maintain his detached, self centred arrogant persona as the character demands but he said some lovely things about Leonard during the bon voyage speech. These are all Season 5-7 examples because some say the friendship has degenerated in more recent seasons. 

Is he a friend that tries to make his friends' lives interesting? He thinks so. A lot of the things they have done for fun over the years, Sheldon has been an instigator of. He thinks that his rules of what each night of the week is for adds to his friends' lives. Do we think he does? Some of us, no. But his friends do. It was interesting that when they had a Sheldon free night at Raj's home during the Priya era, they missed him. He is important to their lives. Does that make him a good friend? He thinks so and Leonard must think so because he keeps coming back every time he attempts to cut the strings.

I think Sheldon thinks being a friend is making his friends seem needed. He certainly does that well. Clearly Leonard should be honoured to be his friend and be so important to him that he has to do so much for him. Is that a good definition of friendship? In the real world, probably not. IN the mind of Sheldon Cooper, sitcom character, it is. In a way, it is similar to Penny's definition of the boyfriend/girlfriend paradigm at the start of Holograph - boyfriend's job is to make me happy; girlfriend's job is letting him make me happy. That seems to be Sheldon's perception too. 

Is it a realistic, healthy friendship Leonard and Sheldon share? Maybe not. But in their minds, it is a great friendship. We might not agree by our definitions but they do. And into Season 8, it continues to maintain their perception. Sheldon expects Leonard to come and save him and Leonard selflessly does. 

Clearly Sheldon is not always a good friend. But he is not always a bad friend either. Same goes for Leonard. In a sneaky way, Leonard has said just as many snarky things about Sheldon and to Sheldon's face as Sheldon has to him. But behind all that, this friendship that began with an acceptance  of a roommate agreement continues to be strong in the eyes of those whose opinions matter - Sheldon and Leonard themselves. 

• Like 3

Sheldons not a bad Friend, its just the way hes wired. He feels hes being a good friend is making ppl feel needed like IWD said.. Problem is most of the time his friends feel Sheldon is being distant and cold. But its their version of friendship and thats all that matters. And i dont think four eggheads and the hottie girl next door would work aals simple as it is, just not sustainable over time, even in tv land. life moves on. Funny if 1-3 was still like it was in S8, it would be very stale lol, it just feels fresh as its immediate. But its just nostalgia, 4-7 are just as good werent nominated for four Emmys for nothing.

Sheldon saying "please don't hurt my friend" was actually a throw away line, a one time thing for one scene to get a particular response from the viewers.  Sheldon's really feelings for Leonard are shown in the "The Itchy Brain Simulation", that was a whole episode letting us know, sort of defining, how Sheldon felt about other people when it came to him.  Sheldon doesn't put anyone before him and doesn't go out of his way for anyone, he tortured Leonard, so hurting his friend physically seems not to be a problem for him.  They may have been friends once, but I now wonder why Leonard stays there and why  Penny lets him.

Seems like I have read all this before.

Proton in this sequence is nothing more than Sheldon's subconscious talking to him. Sheldon is not trying to dupe anyone here. Given that I suggest that "please don't hurt my friend" was one of the most honest things Sheldon has said and he does not talk like that often because it is not easy for him to say such things. Sheldon has a very thick shell and emotionally he is childlike. "The Itchy Brain Simulation" reveals nothing about the inner Sheldon. His statement that he had been waiting years for Lenard to find the DVD was most likely false (Remember Sheldon putting a snake in Raj's desk, he could not wait even minutes for Raj to open his desk drawer). Also, that whole thing with the sweater only went on as far as it did because it was egged on by Howard. You got to try to fit the pieces together in a way that minimizes inconsistency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM3i6AOvje4

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Seems like I have read all this before.

Proton in this sequence is nothing more than Sheldon's subconscious talking to him. Sheldon is not trying to dupe anyone here. Given that I suggest that "please don't hurt my friend" was one of the most honest things Sheldon has said and he does not talk like that often because it is not easy for him to say such things. Sheldon has a very thick shell and emotionally he is childlike. "The Itchy Brain Simulation" reveals nothing about the inner Sheldon. His statement that he had been waiting years for Lenard to find the DVD was most likely false (Remember Sheldon putting a snake in Raj's desk, he could not wait even minutes for Raj to open his desk drawer). Also, that whole thing with the sweater only went on as far as it did because it was egged on by Howard. You got to try to fit the pieces together in a way that minimizes inconsistency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM3i6AOvje4

Agreed!

I notice that lots of Lenny shippers (not referencing to anyone in particular) hate Sheldon, which is really annoying. The same with Shenny shippers hating Leonard. Especially because I ship both Lenny and Shamy and like both Sheldon and Leonard. Slightly going off topic here, I know. But please, let me explain.

I like Lenny because it is developed in an interesting and complicated way. It is a relationship between two people that seemingly have nothing in common but when you look beyond the surface you realize that they actually are alike in many ways that you wouldn't notice at first and they bring out the best from each other.

Shamy is even more unique relationship. It started off as a platonic relationship between two people who were almost the same (comparing personalities and interests). And they were so unique and similar to each other that it is safe to asume that at that point nobody would be better for Sheldon than Amy and nobody would be better for Amy than Sheldon.

But then they both stared changing in different ways due to their relationship. They started experiencing feelings and desires they never experienced before. That can confuse them, scare them, frustrate them at times. But they are slowly changing themselves for the better, and are still were much alike and still so unique in their own ways that I think Amy is still the best girlfriend for Sheldon and Sheldon is still the best boyfriend for Amy. (The best, of course, does not equal perfect.) That is why I like Shamy too.

I like Sheldon because of his social awkwardness, his unawarness of social protocols and sarcasm, which is a great comic effect, and his unique way of expressing his true emotions in special moments. I like Leonard because he is sweet and generally a caring person to anyone when needed, and because he managed to keep a positive spirit and build a great career despite his horrible childhood.

But I think that no matter what anyone thinks, TBBT fan should respect (not necessery like or ship, just respect and not hate) all main characters and cannonical pairings because they all influence each other in a way that makes your favorite thing/pairing in the show possible. For example, Leonard wouldn't be here today if Sheldon didn't save his life. Lenny wouldn't exist. Shamy wouldn't exist if Howard and Raj didn't sign Sheldon up for that dating site. If there weren't for Leonard and Penny, Howard and Bernadette would never meet. Etc.

Edited by Mislav
  • Like 1

My theory on that is that the forum has a lot of people who are shippers and either see Sheldon getting in the way of the Leonard/Penny story or see Sheldon as letting Amy down. As I see it the Leonard / Sheldon friendship and roommateship has been the central interaction through almost all of the series. This may be slowly shifting as the bbt moves into new territory.

Keeping the series new by allowing change to occur reminds me of the Red Queen hypothesis

Actually, both Sheldon and Leonard get a lot of hate in this fandom, as the result of Lenny and Shenny shippers overblowing their flaws. I don't ship Shenny mainly because that bashing but I was close to stop shipping Lenny at times due to Sheldon hated.

This is an actual part of a review from fanfiction.net, regarding Sheldon: "...he is a selfish egoistical jerk. I am surprised he even has friends. His mother should have gotten that second opinion" (read: he [sheldon] is almost certainly crazy)

And another actual part of review regarding Leonard: "leonard has always been whiny and jealous loser Penny deserves so much better than Leonard"

One of the great things about TBBT is these flawed characters can be friends and accepting of each other despite their shortcomings. I think that is the ground on which the popularity of the show rests. Any romance is just a bonus. People who see the romance as the ground in this series are in for / have received a lot of disappointment.

Edited by djsurrey