A poll for the Penny/Sheldon 'shippers' - Who should Penny be with?

Tripper

Irvine you're......A GUY? O_O Omg did not see that coming xD And since I'm too lazy to quote, I'll just say that I second everything that beans said xD I think it's fair that we have a little more respect. But either way, I'm already used to it, mostly because of the Avatar fandom xD Whoever whatched the show knows exactly what two ships I'm talking about xD And seriously guys, it went down the same road in the other topic, let's not fight again for the same reasons -.- We already told you why we like Shenny, and we're not changing opinions so soon xD Just deal with it the same way we deal with Lenny in the show xD

lol, what's so surprising about me being a guy? My nickname is based on Irvine Kinneas, a character in the Final Fantasy series, who appear to be a guy! :p And I don't think I ever wrote anything ''girly'', if I may use that word... But, ok, I'll clarify that I'm a guy! Back to the topic: FemaleNerd, you still haven't answered me: You want to keep the four guys for you, right? That's why you don't want to see any of them with Penny, right? LOL

I dunno, it's just that Irvine sounds like an girl name to me o_o And because you were on the other ship war topic I figured you'd be a girl, because I don't think there's a lot of guys who care about shippers xD But that's ok, people think I'm a boy all the time, also because of my nickname o/

You're a girl? Didn't knew that! ^_^ lol I think I care about shippers because I am very romantic at heart! I mean VERY romantic! Yeah, some guys can be romantic! Howard is, in a very funny and disgusting way! ^_^

Hahah, can you be romatic in a disgusting way? I think one can be disgustingly romantic, though... And if it cheers you up, I always thought you were a guy. ;)) All the Shenny and Lenny fans should be nice to each other. It just about the first letters anayway. :D

Hi beans, thanks for the reply,

to cut this short, 2 answers

(well this is kind of an aside -- but why don't you create a "non-romance" community of your own?? then you could have somewhere to post all your own)

I don't want to discuss the romance on this show, because the show for me is not about romance. I like to discuss the episodes or geeky stuff, but that's it. Paradox is for posting fanfiction and pictures of PS, that doesn't work for non-romance people, we don't need a place like that. I have the "normal" forums, that's enough for me.

As of now the s-p shipp

er always has the role of "defense" while other people come up with arguments to try to tear us down so it's getting exhausting when we are constantly trying to explain what we see.

Well, this here wasn't a thread to discuss this couple, I merely commented on the poll itself and the online buzz. I've had extensive discussions with shippers in another forum and the bottom line was that we interpret the scenes differently and there's no much point arguing. I really don't see how Sheldon's explicit lack of interest in sex and disrespect for Penny can be interpreted as the potential to evolve into romantic interest in the future. It's really beyond me. But I know you guys believe it is and thus it is pointless to argue. Peace out!

BTW, FemaleNerd, I just thought about a psychological explanation why YOU don't like Penny getting hooked with any of the four geeks: It's because you want them all for yourself, don't you? :icon_wink::icon_cheesygrin::icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

:icon_cheesygrin: Good one! I'd go for the male version of the putative "Sheldon girlfriend" we created, or a mix of Sheldon, Leonard and Howard :icon_lol:

I don't mind Penny getting a nice guy, I like her character. But I believe relationships (at least long-term, stable ones) work on the basis of "having things in common". And I don't see that Penny has anything in common with the guys on a daily basis (interests, daily activities). That's why she works fine as neighbour and somebody to have dinner with and talk to in the laundry room, but not more.

We've just SEEN this in the two LP episodes. Did they do something fun together to then have hot, steamy romantic sessions... no... all they could do was drink... I'm just sceptical about these types of pairings.

Hey and just for the record, I think I'm a romantic person myself. I said before, I've watched shows where I was passionate that certain characters would be a perfect couple. Just in this show it hasn't happened so far... :icon_wink:

Yeah, it's true that, for a relationship, having some things in common is quite important. However, sometimes you fall in love with someone who is just your complete opposite! You just don't decide who you fall in love with! I think it can still work, as Penny got introduced in the guys's world, and vice versa. They all learned to appreciate the good thing of the other's universe, and, while staying themself, taking a little of the others. Ok, it's not clear so, as an exemple: Twice, lately, Penny referenced Star Trek, one of the time it was even completely out of nowhere, she couldn't believe it herself! :p So in other worlds, I think Penny is becoming partly ''one of them'' while the guys are slowly entering her world, two! In fact, I totally see Penny, in 2-3 seasons from here, deciding to become a student in physics at the University... Just at the same time Sheldon decides to become a teacher (now that would be AWESOME! ^_^)

However, sometimes you fall in love with someone who is just your complete opposite! You just don't decide who you fall in love with!

True, falling in love is an unfortunately uncontrollable biochemical event ("screw us, we're weak"), but it doesn't mean that it will result in a successful relationship :icon_wink:

I think it can still work, as Penny got introduced in the guys's world, and vice versa.

I agree, but so far I haven't seen enough to see a solid basis for the LP relationship. I mean they were both obviously doped up with hormones from the three months apart, but after the first "morning after" they immediately had doubts whether to go on... Hu? If they're really in love, wouldn't they rather try to make things work than to give up so quickly. Penny's reaction (let's just be friends) seemed more of a realisation that she had missed something during the three months that didn't exist in reality... this happenes quite often.

But anyway, I have trust in the writers and now that they decided to go down the LP road I'm very curious what they'll show us the next couple of weeks. :icon_lol:

Penny's reaction (let's just be friends) seemed more of a realisation that she had missed something during the three months that didn't exist in reality... this happenes quite often.

This is just an idea, but maybe it's also partly because she's afraid to go into a relationship with someone she really likes- I mean, most of the guys she's been datin throughout the show were gone after one or two episodes. They were all kinf of meaningless...

Wow, and someone wrote a few days ago that we shouldn't forget we're just talking about characters from a sitcom. I should get a life rather than trying to analise the psyche of fictional characters. :D

Well, some people make their life analysing the personalities of fictional characters! I'm not sure how it's called in English... ''Literature analysis'' let's say! But yeah, WE are not paid for this intense discussion, so I guess we're really going too far! I guess that's how ''fan'' we are for this show! :) Seriously, we're taking it as if this was a very serious show like ''Lost'' or ''Heroes'', with lots of symbolism and strong character depth and all! ^_^ But yeah, it's just a sitcom about a hot neighbour, a normal nerd, a crazy one (ok, he's not crazy, his mother had him tested! :p), and their two friends the horny one and the mute-in-front-of-ladies-unless-he's-drunk one! :p

Good point, Bilkis, about Penny being just very insecure and afraid to lose Leonard. I forget that she's only 22, she appears older. We'll see where the writers take us with the development.

Mybe Our mothers should have US tested... :D

Well, I guess that's what fandom is about ... and there are always moments in the day when this type of "analysis" is quite relaxing. I was rolling on the floor when Raj said "I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight", that could have SO been me (the Howard or Sheldon), that's why I love the show :icon_lol:

Good characterisation of the show, Irvine, the normal, the crazy, the horny and the mute nerd...lol :icon_cheesygrin:!

I've had extensive discussions with shippers in another forum and the bottom line was that we interpret the scenes differently and there's no much point arguing. I really don't see how Sheldon's explicit lack of interest in sex and disrespect for Penny can be interpreted as the potential to evolve into romantic interest in the future. It's really beyond me. But I know you guys believe it is and thus it is pointless to argue. Peace out!

I agree that we'll never interpret the scenes the same way - and that will probably always stay like that so not much point discussing it - but the actual differences in how we view the pairing is not what I'm trying to stand up for here. I'm talking about the way the S-P FANS are treated because of those interpretations. We want the right to see what we see without anti-shippers (Lenny/no romance fans) attacking us for it. It happens all the time and I think the shippers are finally getting tired of it. (I've seen a couple of posts like this on other sites just trying to get a little respect.) I think we deserve to be treated fairly without the eyerolling and negativity coming across with every possible opportunity that comes up.

I don't want to discuss the romance on this show, because the show for me is not about romance. I like to discuss the episodes or geeky stuff, but that's it. Paradox is for posting fanfiction and pictures of PS, that doesn't work for non-romance people, we don't need a place like that. I have the "normal" forums, that's enough for me.

I didn't mean that you would have to actually discuss the romance on the show. You can discuss (or not discuss) anything you want or don't want. I just meant so you would have a place to go and talk to people who have the same opinion as you.

And for the record, paradox is soo much more than just a place to post fanfics/pics/icons ... it's like one huge family where people can talk about almost anything, post artworks they've created, squee over things we like, fret about things we don't like. And best of all, there is a fantastic respect that comes through almost every comment. I could hug the mods for creating it because we basically use it as our home now. And it's so nice to have when we are dealing with all the negative comments on public forums.

I wish the s-p shippers and the Lenny or non-romance people could just get along with each other. I don't understand why there has to be animosity.

I'm talking about the way the S-P FANS are treated because of those interpretations. We want the right to see what we see without anti-shippers (Lenny/no romance fans) attacking us for it.

[...]

I didn't mean that you would have to actually discuss the romance on the show. You can discuss (or not discuss) anything you want or don't want. I just meant so you would have a place to go and talk to people who have the same opinion as you.

[...]

I wish the s-p shippers and the Lenny or non-romance people could just get along with each other. I don't understand why there has to be animosity.

Well, I have this forum here to discuss the show and I'm fine with that. I don't need a specific place where the PS shipper don't go to, because I don't mind them at all and I just stay out of their threads when I see them.

I thought, until this thread here started, that things were pretty calm in this forum here and that we went on very well. I know you're talking about things in general, but we're here in this forum and I haven't seen disrespect towards PS shippers here.

I read my original posts that caused that stir, and again, maybe online irony can go wrong, but I REALLY don't see them as insulting. I wrote "my theory", "I think" and "probably", it was clear that these are my personal theories why the PS hype exists. I mean, this is a forum, I do have the right to speculate? Maybe I forgot the smiley afterwards, but I never wrote "PS shippers ARE this and that".

I completely agree with you that there shouldn't be personal attacks on shippers or on anyone for their views, but I haven't seen them happen HERE in this forum, and we're discussing things HERE.

All I have done is point out that I don't understand the hype and what I make of it. I think that's what such a forum is for. It doesn't mean, I don't like you guys or don't want you in this forum or that we can't get on.

So, can we go back to discuss the show now, all together, and enjoy the show?! :icon_wink:

Well, it seems to me that it was only really calm in this here forum because there was only one shipper here until I showed up. She was outnumbered and didn't want to cause trouble (and neither do I or any of us for the record!) so she had to let some things slide.

I found your comments about how you think we all just want to be with Jim-Kaley or Penny-Sheldon to be condescending. Like I said , I don't think you did it on purpose but there is so much more to us and what we see than our own preferences for who we'd like to have for ourselves.

I also found your comment about the poll being posted on paradox as another way to put us down. As if paradox represents the crazies and that's the only reason why the votes for s-p went up.

And actually this very thread is proving my point that the non-romance people or the Lenny shippers just can't leave the s-p supporters alone; the thread is called "A poll for the Penny/Sheldon shippers - Who should Penny be with?" so, why on earth would any non-shippers/lenny people even bother clicking on it in the first place? And it's fine if you wanted to vote for your choice and give reasons for your own vote. But that's not what happened - people started saying why they didn't want S-P to happen. If you really were okay with us being around, you wouldn't feel the need to come in and post "Well, I don't think they should be together because of .... ~this and ~that." You could have just said "I voted for no romance because I don't think that there should be romance on the show ...because ~etcetcetc." Not why the s-p ship itself is so ~out of this world. Why can't people just stick to what they see for their own cause and leave s-p out of it all together? (Unless it's a thread to discuss it - like the last one "Penny and Sheldon: Why?" I can definitely see the why/why not s-p speculation in there but it's not only staying in those threads. (Does anybody see what I'm saying here? )

I really would like nothing more than to enjoy the show with EVERYONE. I don't want to have to fight all the time. It's so exhausting and we are all bbt fans to begin with right? But it looks like the same thing is happening here like with all the other boards and I'm sorry to say I can't be bothered defending all the time.

Sorry waffles! I wish I could stay with you but these discussions tire me out.

Jesus christ people... IT'S A TV SHOW... Stop getting all up in arms over it... People have different opinions, if you don't agree that's fair enough but I really don't think it warranted a 5 page argument about it... There's threads for the next two episodes.... Go use your energy discussing them rather than having stupid, unnecessary arguements

Thank you, DoomedPanda! I thnik you're right and we should respect everyones tastest and likings when it comes to the pairings on the show, but the most important part is that it's just a show!! So be happy and peaceful, little care bears. ;)

I completely agree with you, DoomedPanda and Bilkis,

but let me add a final comment:

I also found your comment about the poll being posted on paradox as another way to put us down.

[...]

the thread is called "A poll for the Penny/Sheldon shippers - Who should Penny be with?" so, why on earth would any non-shippers/lenny people even bother clicking on it in the first place?

My comments were about the STATISTICS behind the poll! I said that before! Doing a poll about who Penny should end up with and calling the thread/poll "for the PS shippers" skews the results right form the start.

THAT'S ALL.

It's only a show, but if you come up with controversial ideas for pairings you might have to live with the fact that people question these ideas and try to interpret how you came up with them. If you don't like it, argue back or ignore it. That's what forums are about.

My comments were about the STATISTICS behind the poll! I said that before! Doing a poll about who Penny should end up with and calling the thread/poll "for the PS shippers" skews the results right form the start.

THAT'S ALL.

The poll started before I posted it on the forum and the results were already skewing largely towards Penny and Sheldon. The reason I titled the thread as I did was because the poll was showing great support for the P/S idea, it was a poll that backed up their cause. I don't think the forums had a large influence on the poll, certainly not towards the P/S faction. There is less support for P/S now than when the poll was posted here (only by a few percent, though).

Well this will likely be my last post so you can go back to the ~harmony you all had before I came. (did I just hear a collective sigh? :icon_wink:)

I know it's a television show. And I know that it probably isn't worth the time we're spending discussing it. I think these online shippers wars are the stupidest things I've ever seen tbh. But you all are definitely not putting yourself in our shoes at all. It's easy to say "oh calm down" from that side of the fence because you're not the ones having to deal with the comments and eyerolls. I can almost guarantee that if you guys were the ones being attacked at every opportunity that you would have had the same reaction that I did. We just want to be left alone!

And female nerd - controversial pairing? Seeing chemistry between two lead actors and wanting something more to happen from the scenes that we've already been given??? That's controversial? He is different, yeah but how is wanting to see romance develop over time between two characters that clearly have a chemistry controversial? It's your opinion that he isn't ~capable so I don't see how wanting something to develop for the fan favorite and the lead female on the show is abnormal and so perverse to talk about.

And I disagree for what forums are for - we shouldn't have to defend all the time, 'argue back' or just have to 'ignore it' in order to visit them. Yes, debates can happen (and healthy debates are great!) but like I said, it's becoming more and more that the shippers are being run from the public message boards with all the negativity and bashing than people actually respecting that we do have an opposing opinion. A forum should be a place where everyone can go to talk maturely about their views. But that is not how things are for bbt. (And again it's not just this one. It's all of them that this is happening in.)

Yes, debates can happen (and healthy debates are great!) but like I said, it's becoming more and more that the shippers are being run from the public message boards with all the negativity and bashing than people actually respecting that we do have an opposing opinion. A forum should be a place where everyone can go to talk maturely about their views.

Beans, sorry, but this is what I call over-reacting. NOONE in this forum here has bashed shippers or attacked them. I apologised on the first page if my comments were perceived as insulting, I was merely trying to criticise online polls AND post my personal view how I think people come up with the PS idea. I never said I disrespect shippers, I just don't agree with your views.

If you disagree, then you could have posted "I don't have a crush on any of the actors nor do I identify myself with one of the characters" and I would have said "okay, interesting, noted" and it would have been my view and your view and fine.

But instead you run away from a forum just because you had a disagreement with one member??? I thought we both talked maturely about our views. I really don't know what you expect from a non-shipper.

Well, it's sad and unfortunate when things go this way but what more can you do than to explain misunderstandings and apologise...?

i've had some very interesting discussions with shippers in other boards, where we compared interpretations of characters and scenes and in the end had to "agree to disagree" about our interpretations... which left me wondering HOW people come to such different interpretations...

But to come back to the poll, which was the original aim of my post, it IS very interesting to follow because on this site here you can always see the last couple of votes.

Don't know when the poll was posted, but it appeared on twitter and this forum on September 29th in the morning (European time).

Tripper said by the time this thread here was posted, things were already leaning towards SP, but they were more or less even (around 50 SP vs. around 40 LP). It stayed like that the entire day until midnight (European time), when the link was posted in the Paradox community. Of course it may be coincident and of course these votes are prefect valid votes, but it could explain why the ratio had shifted towards 72% PS vs. 22% LP by morning of September, 30th (European time), simply because half of Paradox's members had been mobilised.

Now during the last couple of days things are changing again and every time I check there are approximately 4 votes LP/none vs. 2 for SP, resulting in LP and "none" slowing gaining votes at the expense of SP.

THIS is just fascinating to watch because it strengthens my theory that the SP community is very organised and active, while the rest, especially the LP community isn't and THAT explains why the numbers always immediately go towards SP in online-polls.

Again, I am NOT judging anyone here, this is merely a comment about the interpretation of online polls based on the question which groups are represented by them. SP may of course be favoured by the majority of fans online, but it could also be that the rest of the community just doesn't vote. PLUS, online polls don't represent the entire TBBT fandom. And again, this is not meant as a judgment about the PS shippers but just as an interesting point about the interpretation of such online polls.

"There's no place for truth on the internet" (Howard Wolowitz)

Enough said, I should get back to work :icon_wink: