The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wanmeii

Sheldon Is A Tyrant - Continue Or Snip It?

It makes me wonder after reading various comments on all internet platforms which describes Sheldon as a dictator/control-freak/tyrant. We all know he likes getting his way. What Sheldon wants, Sheldon gets. I know some will say that this is one of his characteristics that makes Sheldon, well, Sheldon. But I wonder for the sake of character growth, would you want to lessen Sheldon being a spoiled brat or do you think that takes too much away from his character? There are times that he is completely oblivious that what he is doing is hurting other people and I just don't see the other characters being happy about that in the long run. At some points, I feel he is crossing the line a tad too much with the things that he does. His obsession with being in control is definitely part of his identity but life is not realistically like that and I for one, would love to see an episode wherein Sheldon overcomes some sort of losing/rejection (I don't count the one with Kripke because in the end, he still believed he won over him by telling about the Shamy fabricated sex life) where he actually comes to terms with it completely. 

Anyway, would love to hear all of your insights.

Wow, this is an interesting thing to talk about. But first of all, what does the term "Snip it" mean? =)

Anyway, you asked for insights so here is mine. (wow, its hard to think of it, had to backspace on a lot of explanations). But labeling Sheldon as a tyrant maybe unfit for his character. Clueless maybe be a better fit than tyrant, probably not exactly or completely Clueless, but still maybe better than tyrant. As he was going from preschool to high school to college to his 2 PhD's and etc, most likely he would've asked himself, why was he able to achieve this a lot faster than everyone else. Then continuing on asking himself that resulted in him thinking that he is smarter than everyone else down to the last whom vs who syntax. Acquiring all the knowledge that he would've acquired, could have taken most of his childhood, so while he was studying to gain more knowledge, the rest of the kids were playing outside(socializing) which he never got good at. So somewhere in his studying he may have thought that since he thinks he is smarter than everyone else and is on a lifelong crusade for the future of science which would lead to greater inventions that makes peoples lives a lot better, someone should make his life better in the mean time. This leads to him deligating small tasks such as making tea or hot cocoa to leonard. 

Sheldon is a control freak, but that doesn't make him a Tyrant imho.

The writers do take it away from him, like they did in this weeks episode when he was repeating Amy, he clearly looked for her help.

But the writers can't and shouldn't take it away from him completely, because it's part of his nature.

It's like with Howard and his inappropriate jokes, they are still there, just not as much as there have been before.

Sheldons a child living in a mans body imo, whether this has to do with hus childhood, compare his with Leonards and youll see what i mean. Sheldonwishes he had a mother like Beverley who was anayltical, cold, career focused, no emotional intelligence as considered cognitive intelligence above all. Oppossed to Mary who was more warm and affectionate, clearly Leonard and Sheldon would jump at a reality Mother Swap show haha. I think Sheldons upbringing, being from Texas has made him very controlling over every aspect of his life, i think Mary had an influence tho as his social awareness for other ppl has grown. I think theirs a fine line with not alienating the ols Sheldon, but also growing his character, to progress hus relationship with Amy primarily. Clearly ppl hate change, and dont like the fact Sheldon is conforming to societies conventions, their words not fine. And feel Sheldin should remain the weird, peculiar, annoying, little robot man (Pennys words not mine ;)). And should hv no human and relationship construct in his life, sure that was endering, cute, even funny firsr three seasons.But ppl dont get its just not viable now or relatable now if they want four or so more years out of this show, its all about storylines. Ive enjoyed seeing the change in Sheldon, hes almost evolving from a robot to a human beign, clearly some who dont like their bbt like that, and thats fine, but the whole premise of bbt is four eggheads becoming socially aware, so it was inevitable at this point of the series, even for Sheldon. So i beleive for the sake of the show they need to stop making Sheldon so childish when it comrs to getting his own way, he even risks his relationship with Amy so hes right, hes grown but he can be still vrry selfish. I also agree in some intrrnet forums that Amy needs to stop manipulating Sheldon ot act so desperate, she needs to let him work it out at his own pace, and when they are honest with each other they progress JMO.

Great thread Wanmeii! :)

I did touch upon this in the episode thread from this week, but, like I said there, I think the reason why the general public is REALLY getting fed up with him and sees him as a tyrant is because, IMO, the writing of his character is not as careful and polished, at the moment. And I think this started in mid-season 6, right as we hit that rough patch with Sheldon suddenly doing a 180 on himself. 

I think that, in the past, the writers were very good at writing stories where Sheldon was a jerk without intending to be one. It was either his brutal honesty, lack of understanding of social situations or lack of experience in social situations, and his personal hung ups that made him act in inappropriate ways. Kind of like Amy in S4 and 5 too. And it was very clear that this was the case, so people could understand him even if they did not relate to him.

I think Sheldon was clearly going through a lot of challenges and personal growth over the last few seasons, and especially since Amy came onto the scene. We started seeing sides of him we had rarely, if ever, seen. He started to make exceptions and bend his rules. The early part of S6 in particular was leaps and bounds of progress for him. Pretty much every single episode delved into his psyche and increased his self-awareness. In 6x01 he has the first taste of the fact that his aloofness could cost him Amy, in 6x02 he shows the first signs of empathy towards Leonard over Penny's doubts about their relationship, in 6x07 we hear him voice his fears of not being a good enough boyfriend for Amy and his awareness that she deserves better, in 6x08 he confronts Howard and Raj and is honest to them about how hard it is for him to navigate everyday life, in 6x10 he challenges himself to take on the role of caretaker for Amy, in 6x13 he displays distress over being mocked for the first time, in 6x14 Kripke knocks him down a peg and he has to deal with that. He was steadily progressing towards some pretty serious personal growth there, and IMO, it was very interesting to watch. 

But then I feel like TPTB suddenly decided that they needed to change course immediately and scrape all that progress and re-establish Sheldon as "Sheldon". And I think that's where Sheldon-the-Tyrant was born. Because of that need to hammer home the message that Sheldon hasn't changed, they dived head-first into writing him as someone who puts himself above everyone else, who walks all over people and disregards their feelings entirely, and this became particularly evident in his relationships with Leonard and Amy. And I think this priority has made them gloss over that style of careful writing that made him likeable: writing him as a "jerk" is more important than ever, so they don't seem to pay as much attention to the nuances that made Sheldon likeable in the past. I don't know whether they have decided to erase 6x01-6x16 Sheldon with a sponge entirely and forget it ever happened, but I do not see many hints of that Sheldon anymore at this stage. Or of the Sheldon from earlier seasons.

I do not think that the writers necessarily need to grow Sheldon into a thoughtful and considerate guy in order for him to be likeable. I think they just need to be careful that when they do write him as getting his way or hurting someone, they make sure that it's clear that he doesn't really mean harm, like they used to do in the past. Sometimes that requires Sheldon being knocked down a peg or two and dealing with the consequences of his actions. Sometimes it doesn't. But, like I've seen many comments on TWOP point out, characters that were "jerks" on other, arguably better written (at least according to the people who made the comments) sitcoms is that the show was not afraid to show them lose or show their more humane side. I personally thought it was very funny to see how he acted around Amy in S4, even though he was very smitten and nice to her. Similarly, I loved the dynamic he had with Leonard in the earlier seasons, where you could see that these guys really loved each other and Sheldon was just the odd-duck of the duo. It was funny. It doesn't need to be mean and outrageous to be funny. And it doesn't need to be sunshine and rainbows to be likeable. 

Edited by koops
  • Like 6

He used to be child-like. Now he's childish. There's a big difference. That's more regression than "growth".

But then I feel like TPTB suddenly decided that they needed to change course immediately and scrape all that progress and re-establish Sheldon as "Sheldon". And I think that's where Sheldon-the-Tyrant was born. Because of that need to hammer home the message that Sheldon hasn't changed, they dived head-first into writing him as someone who puts himself above everyone else, who walks all over people and disregards their feelings entirely, and this became particularly evident in his relationships with Leonard and Amy. And I think this priority has made them gloss over that style of careful writing that made him likeable: writing him as a "jerk" is more important than ever, so they don't seem to pay as much attention to the nuances that made Sheldon likeable in the past. I don't know whether they have decided to erase 6x01-6x16 Sheldon with a sponge entirely and forget it ever happened, but I do not see many hints of that Sheldon anymore at this stage. Or of the Sheldon from earlier seasons.

I do not think that the writers necessarily need to grow Sheldon into a thoughtful and considerate guy in order for him to be likeable. I think they just need to be careful that when they do write him as getting his way or hurting someone, they make sure that it's clear that he doesn't really mean harm, like they used to do in the past. Sometimes that requires Sheldon being knocked down a peg or two and dealing with the consequences of his actions. Sometimes it doesn't. But, like I've seen many comments on TWOP point out, characters that were "jerks" on other, arguably better written (at least according to the people who made the comments) sitcoms is that the show was not afraid to show them lose or show their more humane side. I personally thought it was very funny to see how he acted around Amy in S4, even though he was very smitten and nice to her. Similarly, I loved the dynamic he had with Leonard in the earlier seasons, where you could see that these guys really loved each other and Sheldon was just the odd-duck of the duo. It was funny. It doesn't need to be mean and outrageous to be funny. And it doesn't need to be sunshine and rainbows to be likeable. 

Great analysis, Koops.

The fear of "losing" the Sheldon as originally conceived seemed to have panicked the writers since the last third of season 6. We have a Sheldon now that is so unlikeable they have devoted most of two episodes, "The Cooper Extraction" and "The Friendship Turbulence", trying to show the audience why the group would put up with such a person and another scene from "The Proton Displacement" where Leonard is directly questioned by Professor Proton on why he would stay with such an irritant. The fizzled resolution of "The Table Polarization", where "Sometimes, the Baby wins" indicates the current state of things where the group lets Sheldon dictate their lives because...... well he's Sheldon. In the world of TBBT, that is the only reason needed. The show has never answered why sane, high achieving adults would react like this, since there is no benefit for anyone, not even Amy, in giving him his way.

Maybe they are all gaga for Cooper Coupons.

Edited by BangerMain

He's very much an Aspie.  My son is just shy of being one but I see a lot of him in Shedon.  Granted, change is extremely difficult for them, but I also think he was being a brat when he told Leonard sometimes the baby wins.

• Like 1

It makes me wonder after reading various comments on all internet platforms which describes Sheldon as a dictator/control-freak/tyrant. We all know he likes getting his way. What Sheldon wants, Sheldon gets. I know some will say that this is one of his characteristics that makes Sheldon, well, Sheldon. But I wonder for the sake of character growth, would you want to lessen Sheldon being a spoiled brat or do you think that takes too much away from his character? There are times that he is completely oblivious that what he is doing is hurting other people and I just don't see the other characters being happy about that in the long run. At some points, I feel he is crossing the line a tad too much with the things that he does. His obsession with being in control is definitely part of his identity but life is not realistically like that and I for one, would love to see an episode wherein Sheldon overcomes some sort of losing/rejection (I don't count the one with Kripke because in the end, he still believed he won over him by telling about the Shamy fabricated sex life) where he actually comes to terms with it completely. 

Anyway, would love to hear all of your insights.

I am pretty sure this is all due to him being OCD. People with OCD believe in rituals and procedures they must do to keep themselves safe. He displays this in every single action he performs like "Thats my spot", "We cant have 4 dumplings since we only have 3 people", his food needs to be right but stacked and arranged in the correct order, the fact he knocks on the door 3 times, the fact he made a room mater agreement(most defiantly), His having sanitizer hidden all around the house. I think he fears if he does not do all this something horrible might happen. People with OCD get like this and he displays all the symptoms of someone with OCD to a very Severe level. I don't think hes attempting to dictate anyone and I think the reason he acts this way isnt a cautious effort but based on some irrational fear he has. He even has trouble with relationships for this reason as he doesn't like people touching him and he likes his personal space. He has a germ phobia so of course hes going to find the idea of sex disgusting. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan