The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.20 'the Relationship Diremption' (April 10)

Your Episode Rating  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Sort of agree with you. The H/B and R/E plotline seems funny. Sheldon having a "personal crisis" seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel considering Penny has more pressing issues. Didn't they do a bit on his hair a couple of seasons ago?

Yeah.  His barber was in the hospital and ended up passing away.  That's why Penny started cutting it.

Yeah.  His barber was in the hospital and ended up passing away.  That's why Penny started cutting it.

Did his barber actually pass away? Where did they say that?

I don't know that Penny continued to cut his hair beyond that one time. I don't remember there being any implication of that.

Sort of agree with you. The H/B and R/E plotline seems funny. Sheldon having a "personal crisis" seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel considering Penny has more pressing issues. Didn't they do a bit on his hair a couple of seasons ago?

How does Penny have more pressing issues? They're both dealing with career issues, and considering that Sheldon is considering dropping the research he's been doing his whole life, I think that's a pretty major issue.

Penny's been dealing with her career issue for a while now and Sheldon's issue comes up just now. The episode isn't about his hair, for Pete's sake.

• Like 1

How does Penny have more pressing issues? They're both dealing with career issues, and considering that Sheldon is considering dropping the research he's been doing his whole life, I think that's a pretty major issue.

Penny's been dealing with her career issue for a while now and Sheldon's issue comes up just now. The episode isn't about his hair, for Pete's sake.

Penny doesn't have a job. She has no money. That's been mentioned on the show. Sheldon's IMO is just feeling sorry for himself since he hasn't won the Nobel Prize. It's a major issue in his own mind. Penny has some "real issues". In regards to the hair more my point was they have been down that road with Penny cutting his hair.
  • Like 2

Did his barber actually pass away? Where did they say that?

I don't know that Penny continued to cut his hair beyond that one time. I don't remember there being any implication of that.

I remember him being in the hospital and I thought he went code blue.

He doesn't like change so I figure Penny's been cutting his hair ever since.

Penny doesn't have a job. She has no money. That's been mentioned on the show. Sheldon's IMO is just feeling sorry for himself since he hasn't won the Nobel Prize. It's a major issue in his own mind. Penny has some "real issues". In regards to the hair more my point was they have been down that road with Penny cutting his hair.

Yes, but they've already been dealing with her issues--she's taken the Serial Ape-ist movie as a positive step, what more is there to discuss while she's working on that film?

What makes you think that Sheldon is just feeling sorry for himself?  If he feels his research is a dead end (and, scientifically, it could be), then that's more of a major crisis for him.  He's spent his whole life working on string theory and now finds himself having to possibly consider focusing on something else.

That's kind of like losing your job at 50, especially considering he's been going at this since he was a kid.

The hair thing is nothing like the previous episode with Penny cutting his hair, and it is not at all going down the same road.

By that same token you could say that any job involving Penny and acting is a road they've gone down before because they've mentioned acting before. :icon_rolleyes:

I remember him being in the hospital and I thought he went code blue.

He doesn't like change so I figure Penny's been cutting his hair ever since.

His barber was in a coma, but he didn't code.  The nurse called security on Sheldon when he was in there trying to get him to wake up, etc., but we never saw anything about what finally happened with him.

There's also nothing to indicate that Penny has continued to cut his hair.  And once he saw what she did on the back of his head, I can't imagine he'd trust her to continue cutting it. :p

I don't think the writers were trying to imply that she was now his hairdresser, but frankly, I'm sure they never intended for that episode to have any long-term implications.  It was essentially a one-off just to highlight what happens to Sheldon when his routine is thrown off.

While Phanta you are correct in your facts, it still seems a bit silly they focused on a hair makeover because that honestly is not going to really have any impact on helping him make a decision.  I think it was just a plot ploy to get Sheldon/Penny in a scene together and for Amy to disapprove because it makes him "sex on a stick" (obviously they wanted to use that line).   But honestly, it is a silly scene when there is a lot else that they could have written about his career crisis.  

I think it will be amusing, but it really does seem a bit deja vu to the Werewolf episode where Penny cut his hair, even though that episode was all about his hair and made sense.   This one is about his career and he won't be keeping the new hair style (thank goodness...too Johnny Wier to me), but it really is a nonsensical scene.

Edited by stardustmelody

While Phanta you are correct in your facts, it still seems a bit silly they focused on a hair makeover because that honestly is not going to really have any impact on helping him make a decision.  I think it was just a plot ploy to get Sheldon/Penny in a scene together and for Amy to disapprove because it makes him "sex on a stick" (obviously they wanted to use that line).   But honestly, it is a silly scene when there is a lot else that they could have written about his career crisis.  

I think it will be amusing, but it really does seem a bit deja vu to the Werewolf episode where Penny cut his hair, even though that episode was all about his hair and made sense.   This one is about his career and he won't be keeping the new hair style (thank goodness...too Johnny Wier to me), but it really is a nonsensical scene.

I don't think they're "focusing" on the hair thing.  I think it's a funny scene--in a comedy show...--and it's a funny thing to use in the promo.  It doesn't mean that that's how Sheldon is going to solve his career crisis.  It's part of his overall attempt to change his life, to "break up" with physics, and we know where the idea about changing his hairstyle comes from (don't want to put spoilers in this thread.)

It might not make any real world sense but in a sit com it makes good comedy. In the previous episode a day or two of not getting his hair cut turns him into a bongo thumping "hippie". So in BBT land it makes sense that making a career change would require a new hair cut (even if it does not carry forward to another episode.

I think the whole hair makeover scene is there to play on the fun about how this whole work issue is treated as a break-up.

There is this running joke about how girls, after a break-up either: eats too much, drinks too much or do something crazy with their hair. So I'm guessing it's from that last one this makeover thing comes from.

Sometimes I read in magazines how they even write out warnings to girls that after a break-up, whatever you do, don't touch the hair!! Haha. Cause it's true, after a break up it is very easy to fall for the thought of doing something dramatic with your outside, and the hair is usually the one who gets to take the punch.

Edited by Jaime

Dang, video won't run for me. Probably the new flash update borked it.

Hopefully it will be on youtube soon--I was able to watch it on that site, but you have to wait for the ad space to go by. :icon_rolleyes:

Cute episode, noticed Lorre co wrote the episode and that makes me happy. Enjoyed Drunk Sheldon immensely and Emily is just the best! Amy's "sex on a stick" line made me chuckle. Also, the tag with Steven Hawking was hilarious. 

• Like 6

Cute and funny episode tonight, I couldn't stop laughing through the episode and loved seeing Sheldon drunk dial Stephen Hawking and not to mention Sheldon saying that geology is the Kardashians of science.

Can't wait to see what is in store for the last few episodes now that we are approaching May and the season finale.

• Like 5

I want to rewind and hear all the voice mails Sheldon leaves for Hawking.

I loved it when Howard defended Sheldon against Kripke.  It seems they're getting along better ever since the airplane turbulence.

• Like 5

Great episode! All the scenes were great. I feel kinda bad for Sheldon. His tone when talking seems a little more low-key and quiet for half this episode. When he was talking to Penny about giving up string theory and again when he was hungover. :p

Also, poor Howard.......

• Like 2

The episode was good, not as good as last week but good.  The sex thing with the book was great and so was the Hawking part.

• Like 2

An ok episode, i'd like to term it as more of a "Transitionary Episode", than anything else...

I didn't like Emily alot here, seems a bit too confident for me  :read: .

Again, an ok episode (i'd give it a 7.5/10 at most). The Sheldon naked part was one of those memorable moments.

I do feel they didn't do alot with the Raj dinner portion, just the embarrassing part about howard.. Not one of the season's best episodes by any chance imo.

Edited by Shamy's kid