The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.20 'the Relationship Diremption' (April 10)

Your Episode Rating  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

An ok episode, i'd like to term it as more of a "Transitionary Episode", than anything else...

I didn't like Emily alot here, seems a bit too confident for me  :read: .

Again, an ok episode (i'd give it a 7.5/10 at most). The Sheldon naked part was one of those memorable moments.

I do feel they didn't do alot with the Raj dinner portion, just the embarrassing part about howard.. Not one of the season's best episodes by any chance imo.

your user name is wonderful, though multiple people irl have proclaimed that I am Shamy's daughter from the future... though maybe they have two kids....

• Like 1

I enjoyed the episode, but it was not my favorite of the season.

I really like Emily, thought she was adorable! Sheldon drunk is amazing and I love that he wakes up with the geology book. It did seem like it was teasing us shamy fans who were semi hoping it was Amy sleeping next to him. Although I would hate for their first time to be when Sheldon is drunk... :girlmad:

One thing I'm wondering...in the following episodes, will Sheldon return to string theory, or was this a real turn for his career?

• Like 1

This was a good episode, but not the best.   What I liked were (and these were the things that made me laugh or at least I found entertaining and enjoyable):

• Emily/Raj/Bernie/Howard story was funny and I really like Emily.  She is so amusing and I like that she seems to fit into the group's personality style to make fun of each other.  She is a good match for Raj.  They have cute chemistry and I like that she seems to like him and not try to change him.
  • The Howard/Sheldon scene in the cafeteria where they were both feeling low and supporting each other. I like how Howard defended Sheldon to Kripke and how both seemed to truly have bonded from their Texas trip.  It was a nice follow-up to show that that trip did have an impact.
  • Sheldon waking up to the Geology book.  Classic Sheldon and hilarious!  Love how they wanted you to think he had had relations with Amy there.  ;)
  • Sheldon immediately thinking of Amy when he woke up hung over the night before.   I loved how she was foremost on his mind and, while we have no idea why he wanted to apologize to her, how quickly he was wanting to apologize is such a vast improvement over the man who used to hate to apologize.

What I found completely OCC and completely annoying and really could not find amusing at all was:

• Penny waking up before 11 AM and coming out saying to Sheldon "You're up early" as if this is unusual.   It rather much annoyed me at the lack of respect for who these characters really are that they had to be lame and say that just to show them both sitting around in bathrobes (another peeve of mine).  Sheldon would have been up hours before her and dressed. 
  • Sheldon listening to Penny's advice about his career to me is nearly laughable because he has so little respect for her knowledge of Science.  So since when is he going to listen to nonsense about having a "breakup" with his field of study?   It really was very OOC to me and sort of ruined the episode if it were not for the above scenes to make up for it.
  • Sheldon ignoring Amy and Leonard's sound advice and listening to Penny instead.   Again very OOC and annoying. 
  • Penny's insult to Leonard about the brown bear.  How come she can never say something complimentary about him?  She supposedly loves him and tears him down all the time.  I really dislike that.

This could have been a really great episode had they not had a vast majority of it so out of character that I had to roll my eyes.  I know they need to stretch things from time to time, but this one stretched it a bit too far.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 5

Great episode! All the scenes were great. I feel kinda bad for Sheldon. His tone when talking seems a little more low-key and quiet for half this episode. When he was talking to Penny about giving up string theory and again when he was hungover. :p

Also, poor Howard.......

I loved him being low-key.  He's always so hyper it's a nice change.

Best line from that article - "I refuse to believe that Bernadette doesn't poop cotton candy. With that adorable voice, how can she not?"  My hubby says she poops jelly beans, lol.

Sheldon: "Geology is the Kardashians of science." 

I bet money the Kardashians think that this means that Geology is cool, edgy and popular :)

• Like 2

this episode was a huge step down from last week but still a good one. The Raj/Emily/Howard/Bernie part was the best part by far for me. I enjoyed Raj getting the last laugh when Howard was betting on how Raj was going to screw up with Emily. Everyone gave him what he truly deserved. I like Raj and Emily together. I hope they have her meet the rest of the group.

While parts of the Sheldon plot line were funny the whole bit of Sheldon questioning his career is OOC. Some things really stretched believability in this episode.

1. Did people really think he was in bed with Amy?

2. Do people really think Sheldon is a chick magnet because of the hair?

3. Does Amy really think that Sheldon is going to find another woman?

4. Would Sheldon really admit he was wrong about his career?

The drunk dialing Hawking was before the commercial and in the tag. IMO kind of beating a dead horse.

To Star- I think the days of sleeping in to 11am may be over for Penny at least for now. I was just happy of the idea of Lenny in the bedroom together.

• Like 2

I loved this episode! I was laughing from start to finish, which did not happen last week. Finally a great scene between Penny, Leonard and Sheldon together, I've always thought they were the heart of the show. I love how Emily is as crazy as Raj lol. Sheldon waking up with the book was hysterical, very good plot and I loved the shamy scene where Amy is helping drunk Sheldon into his room, very sweet. I also thought it was incredibly sweet that he asked where was Amy almost immediatey after waking up, definitely my favorite couple. I'm really loving Remily too.

I thought Leonard was hilarious when he said he could buy salmon to get the brown bear lol. I'm a happy camper right now, I hope everyone else enjoyed this Epi as well.

Edited by BipolarBear

@stardustmelody and @Chrismo, very interesting points on the OOC.

Concerining your points Star...

Capturing OOC moments can be an interesting thing, but as a general tip, i think that it's good to be a little lenient with some of the things we might consider OOC. I for example think that in some episodes, we can give leeway if one character is not acting a certain way, some people change, are not always in the same mood, etc, as to all your OOC points, they are valid, but not something i consider as such to a great extent personally. I think sheldon has taken opinions at random (Seriously) before. He did tirade penny about all her failures right?

As for your OOC points Chrismo..

1. Valid, when i saw the clip begin i told my self "this is prob the book not her", but then again, anything can happen, the writers might surprise us, although the episode didnt have quite the buildup for it(or maybe it did), i think it's a funny memorable gag and ill remember it as such.

2. I personally don't see this that way, i remember when penny first cut his hair, sheldon was worrying about looking too hollywood..Sheldon is a very quirky fellow, this was another quirky statement of his..and i thought it was funny, brought a smile to my face.

3. This one i took it as amy joking around, just how leonard joked a couple of times about a bear as a mate of all things. Just playing around imo.

4. Now this one is an interesting point, valid imo, and i think maybe they should have started putting doubts in him from earlier episodes to make it a sort of an arc, im sure they will make it one starting from here, and tbh, this is an OOC where i do have to intervene...

How realistic do we really think it is for Sheldon to come to this conclusion now? Abit out of nowhere, as if he didnt know about science.

So maybe i see it from a little different angle Chrismo but i think we can both agree that the way it was showed here...his doubts could have been implemented perhaps in a better way? Then again i dont know about science..in the end..ill live with it.

I do agree that the drunk dialing before the credits was kinda beating the horse...but he did say he kisses girls now so i injected a kinda into my opinion :p

Also, i think we've seen sheldon drink a few times right? 

Two of the times i remember were in the bar, the first he spit the drink out multiple times,2nd time he mistook a certain tea for the harmless tea he always drinks, i did find it OOC for sheldon to simply get drunk...im gonna watch more of the recent episodes again, but has he developed gradually more likeness for alcohol?

I think the episode was a step down from last week, ill watch it again right now, it's between the 6-7/10 range for me.

I'd like to add that Sheldon is being explored considerably recently, we are seeing new sides of him, he is changing.

Edited by Shamy's kid

Very mediocre episode, barely an ok.

Emily was the funniest, the tag scene was terrible.

The "joke" with Sheldon waking up to the geo book was way to predictable.

• Like 1

this episode was a huge step down from last week but still a good one. The Raj/Emily/Howard/Bernie part was the best part by far for me. I enjoyed Raj getting the last laugh when Howard was betting on how Raj was going to screw up with Emily. Everyone gave him what he truly deserved. I like Raj and Emily together. I hope they have her meet the rest of the group.

While parts of the Sheldon plot line were funny the whole bit of Sheldon questioning his career is OOC. Some things really stretched believability in this episode.

1. Did people really think he was in bed with Amy?

2. Do people really think Sheldon is a chick magnet because of the hair?

3. Does Amy really think that Sheldon is going to find another woman?

4. Would Sheldon really admit he was wrong about his career?

The drunk dialing Hawking was before the commercial and in the tag. IMO kind of beating a dead horse.

To Star- I think the days of sleeping in to 11am may be over for Penny at least for now. I was just happy of the idea of Lenny in the bedroom together.

I actually was reminded for a moment of the scene when Raj woke up with Penny, but then I thought - Nah, they wouldn't dare go there and have Sheldon's first time be with Penny.

Edited by luke
  • Like 1

I actually was reminded for a moment of the scene when Raj woke up with Penny, but then I thought - Nah, they wouldn't dare go there and have Sheldon's first time be with Penny.

Um...definitely would not be with Penny.

• Like 6

I loved the episode. Jims face when he woke up w the book killed me. I rolled laughing.

I dont care for emily. Shes kinda mean. Hard for me to say but i want lucy back.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the episode, overall. A highlight for me was Sheldon's scene with Howard. He didn't monopolize the conversation (as he has so many times while exchanging stories/problems with Leonard) and he seemed to make a genuine attempt to console his friend. Definitely seeing signs of change/growth, and I like it.

• Like 6

One of my favorite lines was... the ever so classic... 

knock knock knock "empty room"
"If somebody answers I'm gonna freak out!"

Overall, I liked the episode! Very funny!
  • Like 5

can't believe how (un)funny that was. Not a single laugh oit of it. L was completely 'written out' and his marginalisation continues. P almost the same. Just hoping that the writers can pull a rabbit out of the hat and give us a decent ending to the season. Not holding my breath.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the episode - I liked the fakeouts, the implication that Howard had slept with Emily, only to discover he had just blown up her bathroom - and then the recreation of the Raj/Penny night after scene, with Shedon waking up after a drunken night and the slow pan along his arm to see who he was with, only to find out it was his Geology book - LOL - that one made my heart stop for a second - I also liked the conversations Sheldon had with Penny and with Howard, showing the growth in both of those relationships, and I liked the drunk dialing of Stephen Hawking - I didn't really get the point of the hairstyle change that lasted 10 seconds, but other than that it was a good epidode.

Edited by luke

I don't know whether non-spoiled viewers really fell for Sheldon having slept with Amy. I mean, even as a casual viewer you could probably predict that the writers wouldn't be wasting away their first time like that (btw, why would it even cross your mind it might be Penny?! First of all, they're both in relationships and neither is the cheating type. Second of all, they deliberately had Amy walk into the room with him to set that up. *scratches head*). But I thought it was funny, nonetheless and the innuendos with Leonard the next morning where hilarious. The drunk-dialing in the tag went on for too long, IMO, but some of them were really funny. And, obviously, I'm partial that we got yet another mention of the current state of Shamy-kissing and more casual physical contact, which I've been begging for for ages.

I was unspoiled and they had me going - I thought that was well done and pretty funny - I aslo think when Sheldon finally does have his first time, it will be something crazy and unexpected and not necessarily with Amy.

I was unspoiled and they had me going - I thought that was well done and pretty funny - I aslo think when Sheldon finally does have his first time, it will be something crazy and unexpected and not necessarily with Amy.

Huh!!??

• Like 1

Enjoy this episode a lot!  Sheldon looked adorable this week, why is Jim so pretty?  I mean usually he looks nerdy but this week he looked better than normal not just with the hairstyle change that was cute, but even when he woke up in bed the next morning his eyes and his face he just looked good, not too pale or red or drunk like they usually try to make him look.  He looked nice :) very pretty eyes.

Also, liked that Amy didn't try to take advantage of him in that situation, I knew she was a keeper and loves Sheldon way to much to do something like that.  But it made it nice that Sheldon wanted to apologize the next morning to her anyway and asked where she was clearly he felt vulnerable after being so drunk and its nice he wanted to call her and talk about it whether than try to avoid or rationalize the situation away.  He's really growing up our little Shelly!

EMILY is adorable too, please please please writers don't screw this up for Raj.  I can really see her fitting into group now that I know more about her.   She practices medicine so we know she's smart, she laughs at Raj's jokes and weirdness and she didn't even get too mad about Howard when she realized he was the guy that ruined her bathroom.  She is pretty and I love her red hair, a fiery red head, who knows how to be just weird enough (that crack about her liking to cut people with knives) she could totally fit in as soon as Howard gets over his embarassment which he better!  I hope they don't let Howard screw this up for Raj, by acting too weird or stupid around Emily til they start fighting.  I want them to get along.  Raj and Howard have a super bromance going on and act like a couple themselves a lot of time so they have to like each other's girlfriend/wife and Bernadette and Emily have to like each too if they are going to be able to make their twisted love story work between the four of them.   They've already figured out how to make it work between Sheldon/Amy/Penny/Leonard, so now they need to complete the group and add the fourth girl already!  I'm tired of watching Raj whine about not having someone to love. Then they waste good opportunities like Alex or Yvette so if they waste this one they are just complete morons!  Cause Emily could work if they put the work into it and find a way to keep Raj from doing something so dumb he ruins the whole thing.  I am concerned his family won't approve of her, but that might make Raj like her more.  Also, how will she deals with Sheldon will be another big determining factor to rather she has any sort of lasting potential or if she's just another flash in the pan chick.  Because if Sheldon hates her then you know she's toast!

Now for Penny, so glad she was nicer this week and didn't pick on anyone too badly this week and took the jokes in stride.  Sometimes they make Penny react to harshly to her friend's comments and it makes her seem like a bitch or she says something really dumb or rude that makes her less likeable.  But this week she was actually helpful to Sheldon, she didn't make any rude jokes at Amy's expense like she often does and her jokes with Leonard were playful less like she thinks she is too good for him.  Glad she took up for Leonard when Sheldon assumed she was talking about how she knows what its like to be in a bad relationship that she meant him.  Far too often they make Penny act like she might want to end things with Leonard, but then she doesn't so I'm glad they didn't even go there this week.  Penny is best when she is kind to her friends and only teases them when they tease her back in a playful way not in a rude I'm too cool and pretty for all of you sort of way or I'm way too dumb to understand anything you just said way.  Thee was a little of that in this episode, but a lot less than usual so I'm happy.

I do have to say I hope they find away to include Emily without edging out the other girls storylines too much.  I feel like they spend a lot of time on Sheldon maybe a little too much and then they focus on Leonard/Penny a lot or Shamy or Howard/Bernadette but they rarely spend time on just Amy stories or just Bernadette stories or even just Leonard stories anymore I think they should still find a way to do those stories too.  I Love Sheldon he's my favorite character, but not everything has to always be about him to be funny.   So I'm glad Raj is finally get some attention with this Emily storyline.  Soon, I think Bernadette should have something important happen with her career or with her dad or something so she's not being left out to make room for Emily.

• Like 2