7.20 'the Relationship Diremption' (April 10)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Poor Howard. But the real culprit here is the US syphon style toilet that I really think is just unfortunate engineering (sorry America). Uses too much water and in my experience often fails to perform its function when compared to other designs (waits for flaming responses).

Emily and Raj are great. They have tremendous potential to breakout and I'd be very happy to watch more of her bouncing off the other idiots. I will not miss Raj's old girlfriend a bit. And Leonard is still a very lucky guy and Penny is still a very lucky girl.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon needs an Emmy nom. ASAP.

Could not agree more, 

Poor Howard. But the real culprit here is the US syphon style toilet that I really think is just unfortunate engineering (sorry America). Uses too much water and in my experience often fails to perform its function when compared to other designs (waits for flaming responses).

Emily and Raj are great. They have tremendous potential to breakout and I'd be very happy to watch more of her bouncing off the other idiots. I will not miss Raj's old girlfriend a bit. And Leonard is still a very lucky guy and Penny is still a very lucky girl.

I was not aware that the US had different toilets than the rest of the world.  You are making me want to go look up toilet designs, which is never a good thing on a Saturday morning.

No disrespect to anyone but the over-abundance of Sheldon is starting to grate on me just a bit.  Just how I feel...

Ironically I read that this episode was the least watched episode of the year. Maybe too much Sheldon?

Ironically I read that this episode was the least watched episode of the year. Maybe too much Sheldon?

how exactly does one know if there is too much Sheldon without watching the show??

on the other hand...this is big bang theory....there is ALWAYS too much Sheldon....it should be obvious.... :p :p

Edited by vasu

That's kind of ridiculous since one would have to actually watch the episode to tell whether or not there was "too much Sheldon."

Whatever the ratings numbers were, Big Bang still won its time slot, and their final numbers were higher than the initial overnights or whatever they're called. And we don't yet have the DVR numbers, etc.

Well given the promos were all about Sheldon and most episodes are all about Sheldon, I guess you can draw a conclusion that the show is likely Sheldon-centric, but it typically is.   It is Sheldon-centric or Penny-centric or both and this one was both, just like the next one will be.   I don't tire near as much of Sheldon as I do Penny.  I would like to see a lot more of the other characters though.  Howard, Bernadette need a lot more airtime than they have been given.  And just as Penny has been given a story, Leonard deserves a story that is about him.   It would be nice to see Penny and Sheldon both be more in supporting capacities now and again for their SO's (Sheldon for Amy and Penny for Leonard), like they are for Sheldon and Penny all the time.  

[snip]

The only thing that made me stop and emit a Scooby Doo "Roh roh?" was Penny telling Sheldon he was up early. Now, I know that Penny used to be on a waitress schedule where she worked late into the evening and slept in late, and maybe she's adjusted lately to being more on Leonard's schedule since she quit her job, but the idea of early morning riser Penny didn't really jibe quite right.

Sheldon and the Geology book was funny, as was Howard and his Clogzilla story. I really like the fact that Emily had a sense of humor about it, because obviously she'll need to hold onto that attitude to fit in with this group of oddballs.

[snip]

It was not clear but my interpretation was that Penny was still up but thought Sheldon was in bed for the night so she was surprised to see him.

I don't have much to say. Anyway Star, koops and Lio said it all.

I am a proud member or the "Simon deserves an Emmy" group. Plus Jim was perfect at this episode I loved his acting.

I like the fact that Howard and Sheldon are better friends now. I didn't laugh much at this ep and tje funniest part was the double date. I liked Emily and I want to see her interact with gang and if she. and Amy really have things in common.

Didn't care about Sheldon taking Penny's advice about his next field. I mean Amy and Leonard were talking seriously and giving him what I can only imagine was good options and he dismissed that in a blink. That makes me think that Sheldon still wants the recognition and the awards more than a useful contribution in science. I don't doubt that he already has made contributions and that it is healthy to have aspirations and not wanting to deal with something less important but maybe that's what he needs to do. Deal with something else have a little success and the he could consider this again. Maybe he needs a break from string theory and not to abandon it completely. I don't know I just feel that his problem is his priorities.

Did anyone else notice the parallel between his relationship with string theory and Shamy???? I liked everything said and done wirh this geology book. And the I kiss girls now line.

I feel like Leonard di have much of a story in this one but he was very funny!!! I really enjoyed him and Lenny picking on Sheldon is always hilarious!!!

I can't get over how cute Amy was!!!! Dena we will need a new club. You know lesbians for Amy :p I wanted more Amy in this ep but her sex on a stick line and how sheldon looks eager to show her off his new style were adorable. He really wanted to like it and when he realized she didn't want him like that he immediately found a reason to change it.

I don't have much to say. Anyway Star, koops and Lio said it all.

I am a proud member or the "Simon deserves an Emmy" group. Plus Jim was perfect at this episode I loved his acting.

I like the fact that Howard and Sheldon are better friends now. I didn't laugh much at this ep and tje funniest part was the double date. I liked Emily and I want to see her interact with gang and if she. and Amy really have things in common.

Didn't care about Sheldon taking Penny's advice about his next field. I mean Amy and Leonard were talking seriously and giving him what I can only imagine was good options and he dismissed that in a blink. That makes me think that Sheldon still wants the recognition and the awards more than a useful contribution in science. I don't doubt that he already has made contributions and that it is healthy to have aspirations and not wanting to deal with something less important but maybe that's what he needs to do. Deal with something else have a little success and the he could consider this again. Maybe he needs a break from string theory and not to abandon it completely. I don't know I just feel that his problem is his priorities.

Did anyone else notice the parallel between his relationship with string theory and Shamy???? I liked everything said and done wirh this geology book. And the I kiss girls now line.

I feel like Leonard di have much of a story in this one but he was very funny!!! I really enjoyed him and Lenny picking on Sheldon is always hilarious!!!

I can't get over how cute Amy was!!!! Dena we will need a new club. You know lesbians for Amy :p I wanted more Amy in this ep but her sex on a stick line and how sheldon looks eager to show her off his new style were adorable. He really wanted to like it and when he realized she didn't want him like that he immediately found a reason to change it.

I'm still thinking (hoping) that the reason Amy hasn't been involved much is because she will be involved later down the line when things really matter. In the same way Leonard was with Penny's career. Remember in 7x12/7x13 they had that spat over it but then Leonard became very supportive and involved.

Good point about Sheldon maybe needing a break from String Theory rather than abandoning it altogether! Maybe that's the purpose his new field will serve. I don't know if him not taking Amy and Leonard's advice is an indication of him wanting accolades more than loving science though. I mean, it's possible, but I think it was just there to highlight how difficult and picky Sheldon is as a person. And, also, finding a field of research isn't easy because you need to be passionate about it or it will be like pulling teeth. So, in that sense, I don't take that scene as Sheldon being arrogant, but it might be.

@Koops I really wish for a Shamy collaboration that would make me the happiest shipper of all times!! I know this might be a long shot and definitely nothing indicates something like that so far but I hope that when Amy gets involved in this for real (not that she doesn't but for lack of better words) maybe they will come up with the work together plan.

It's not I think he is arrogant. I just think his mind is stuck at the moment. I doubt he will ever find a field that makes him passionate if he doesn't give any of them a chance. There is a saying in my country that says that if you don't get wet you won't catch a fish. He needs to give other options a try. Up to now it seems to me like he just wants someone to point out that only string theory is for him so he can go back. Not that it would be bad if he did. I just feel he needs to let the idea of great things only at the side for a moment and he will see things more clear. As for his search I also think that one needs to be passionate about their job(I already insisted so that I could be admitted to the shcool I wante) so I support him with all my heart. I just don't know what is that he wants. A prize? A success? Passion , science or maybe allof that. He needs to figure out what he wants.

Okay I overanalyzed that sorry for the rant. :)

One of the things I never liked about Sheldon's character is he is very much a coward...

if things do not go  his way....instead of trying hard.....he just resorts to crying and whining........in this episode he even resorts to drinking alcohol......

some much for his "We are dreamers" ....   first big obstacle and chicken out....

the episode was great was laughting a lot,

a drunk sheldon is the best part.

still want to give emily a chance she is growing

on me a lot with raj.

felt bad for howard he got a little taste of what he

give to raj a times, even bernie jump in.

I agree that this episode was pretty good.  I know that the main focus of the episode was on Sheldon's struggle with his lack of accomplishment with String Theory, but I found the part with Howard/Bernie/Raj and Emily to be the best part of the show.  I do hope that they continue to develop Raj and Emily.  The character of Emily seems to be pretty funny and she grows on you.  I like a lot more than Lucy.

Well given the promos were all about Sheldon and most episodes are all about Sheldon, I guess you can draw a conclusion that the show is likely Sheldon-centric, but it typically is.   It is Sheldon-centric or Penny-centric or both and this one was both, just like the next one will be.   I don't tire near as much of Sheldon as I do Penny.  I would like to see a lot more of the other characters though.  Howard, Bernadette need a lot more airtime than they have been given.  And just as Penny has been given a story, Leonard deserves a story that is about him.   It would be nice to see Penny and Sheldon both be more in supporting capacities now and again for their SO's (Sheldon for Amy and Penny for Leonard), like they are for Sheldon and Penny all the time.

Iagree and disagree with you. I agree the others need more airtime . I myself tire more of Sheldon because he gets more airtime than Penny even if it is "Penny-centric". This episode was an example. What was funny was a lot of episodes this year as myself and others pointed out seemed rushed. This one seemed like they were stretching to fill their 20 minutes and they were using Sheldon to do it. Sheldon drunk. Done that. Sheldon getting a haircut. Done that. The 2 minutes of messages to Hawking when you didn't see any of the characters. As you mentioned about the others getting more airtime this time to me could have been better spent on them.

Iagree and disagree with you. I agree the others need more airtime . I myself tire more of Sheldon because he gets more airtime than Penny even if it is "Penny-centric". This episode was an example. What was funny was a lot of episodes this year as myself and others pointed out seemed rushed. This one seemed like they were stretching to fill their 20 minutes and they were using Sheldon to do it. Sheldon drunk. Done that. Sheldon getting a haircut. Done that. The 2 minutes of messages to Hawking when you didn't see any of the characters. As you mentioned about the others getting more airtime this time to me could have been better spent on them.

I don't think they were just stretching his scenes to fill time. If the story is about Sheldon--which it was--then the scenes with him are going to be about him. They were only telling two stories in this episode--about Sheldon having a crisis about his work, and about Howard unexpectedly finding out he knows Emily. So the show alternated between the two situations.

And I seriously do not get why people think that the previous episode about Sheldon and his haircut is at all like the scene about his hair in this episode. It's not about "oh, we did one with his hair before". By that same token they should never have L/P having sex again because they've already done that a million times. :icon_rolleyes:

For the 453rd time, Werewolf Transformation was only about Sheldon's hair insomuch that it represented his need to schedule everything in his life in order to, as he sees it, keep the chaos of the world at bay. It wasn't just about his hair, but that his inability to get his hair cut on the day and in the way he normally would throws him completely off-kilter.

This episode wasn't at all about his hair, either, and the way his hair came into play was not at all like WT. In this case, he's simply trying to follow a list of suggestions about how to break up, which includes getting a new hairstyle. So he's willing to give it a try until Amy suggests that he'll be too hot with that look. The episode was about him trying to figure out what to do and only partly about whether or not following the Cosmo suggestions would work for him and why not.

I don't see how anyone can really think that just because Sheldon's hair is mentioned in the two episodes that they are at all alike unless one is deliberately trying to be obtuse or just looking for reasons to dislike the episode.

I say we never have anymore stories about Leonard wanting to marry Penny because we've already seen that. And Penny shouldn't propose to Leonard because we've already seen that. :icon_rolleyes:

Edited by phantagrae

I'm watching this again and I just noticed Sheldon pulling his arm very carefully out from under the Geology book when he wakes up.  WTF does he think it's going to do?  Bite him?

I also love Raj/Emily.  She has much more of a personality than Lucy, she's a good foil for Howard, I think she and Bernie will get along (once they drop the clogzilla thing) and we already know she has stuff in common with Amy.  I can see P/L being happy that Raj has found someone that gave him a second chance and has a wicked sense of humor.

I'm watching this again and I just noticed Sheldon pulling his arm very carefully out from under the Geology book when he wakes up. WTF does he think it's going to do? Bite him?

I thought that was brilliant acting on Jim's part and the funniest part of the scene! He treats the Geology book like a sleeping one-night-stand as he extracts his arm, lol. And the look on his face as he does it....perfection.

Edited by Retroluv

Not sure if it is a good thing for Howard and Bernie, having Emily around.  Looks like Howard was back to the old Howard, old ghosts came back.  Hopefully the writers don't do anything crazy in that regards; no one wants to see old Howard, totally turnoff.  Penny will not have it, she will go crazy if Emily somehow makes a pass at Leonard.  I guess Leonard never had enough money to get a new robe, it is the same one as it was in season one, almost eight years old, too funny.  And the scene when Leonard comes into the living room and ask Penny If  she saw his inhelor? and  he is blowing his nose; that grossed out Penny. classic Lenny moment, they are really two old souls.  the best scene of the episode.

Not sure if it is a good thing for Howard and Bernie, having Emily around.  Looks like Howard was back to the old Howard, old ghosts came back.  Hopefully the writers don't do anything crazy in that regards; no one wants to see old Howard, totally turnoff.  Penny will not have it, she will go crazy if Emily somehow makes a pass at Leonard.  I guess Leonard never had enough money to get a new robe, it is the same one as it was in season one, almost eight years old, too funny.  And the scene when Leonard comes into the living room and ask Penny If  she saw his inhelor? and  he is blowing his nose; that grossed out Penny. classic Lenny moment, they are really two old souls.  the best scene of the episode.

But he can show Emily that he's changed.  He did try by apologizing and explaining what happened.  I don't see Howard totally going back to the old (sleazy) way he used to be.  As Bernie said in Locomotive he used to be a hot, goofy mess before she came along but he's acting more mature unless he feels the need to make a snide, sarcastic remark.  Then he's back to his usual funny self.

I don't see Emily making a pass at Leonard.  She just doesn't seem like that kind of person.  I do see her making fun of him for sleeping in his socks, lol.