The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.21 The Anything Can Happen Recurrence (April 24)

Your Episode Rating  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate his episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Looking forward to next week's Star Wars episode.  This week was okay, but not the best.  I liked that someone finally told Sheldon that Amy is the key to his happiness, I just wish it wasn't so heavy handed by a psyhic that he'd never respected in first place and that they would just let him figure it out with Amy on his own.  I don't think he needs Penny or Leonard or some random person he has never met before advice to make decisions about his relationship when for starts Penny and Leonard have their own problems and keep secrets ..[snip]

Sheldon was never going to listen to a psychic although this could play back in his future dreams. Sheldon has plenty of anxiety dreams. Since TV is a visual medium it is handy to have a visual to represent a thought process. My guess this will be used as a plot device for his thoughts of Amy at some future date..

I'm looking forward to May 1st too. I will also have to watch the rest of this episode on VOD tomorrow night.

Edited by djsurrey

Nothing much to laugh about it in this episode and this season, the writers have spent far too much time emphasing just how much penny and Sheldon understand each other and their so called special bond

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 3

It was a funny episode in parts, especially the Raj and Howard scenes but some scenes seemed really short and the show itself was less than 20 mins. Some scenes could have done with more development, especially some of the Shenny scenes in the restaurant.

A good thing for me was the Leonard/Amy scene, mainly because it proved yet again that many of us should not take taping reports so much to heart and wait for the actual viewing of scenes before flying off the handle about how unfair Leonard was to make out Penny had a more special relationship with Sheldon than Amy. Both Amy and Leonard were pretty spot on. Amy wasn't threatened but wished he would open up more often and Leonard simply pointed out Penny has known him for a long time. Truth is, they did have a lot of good moments in the pre Amy seasons between all the insults. It's been good to read that SOME of the Shamies who were so against this part of the episode in spoiler threads a few weeks ago understand its purpose now they have seen it for themselves. Maybe one day we'll learn to wait for episodes before reacting in Season 8 ( doubt it, though)

I like what Emily is doing for Raj, regardless of the knife cutting and slash movie fetishes. On their first date she allowed him to be honest and again in this episode he was comfortable enough to be honest with her and express his doubts about her personality. It's refreshing change from the insecure, foot in mouth Raj we have known for years. Without alcohol needed to talk to women, he is slowly working out how to do it. Hope this continues into Season 8.

Jim really is portraying an insecure, mentally tortured Sheldon beautifully at the moment. His facial expressions and voice tones tell so much more than mere words interpreted on a taping report and you could sense his mind ticking over when the Psychic was speaking. Leading on from his voice work in Diremption and his face in this episode, I can really sense his struggle at the moment.

Not the funniest episode by a long way - it was like the later seasons of MASH ( showing my age!) when the drama took over the comedy at times - but still enjoyable and am looking forward to the continuing battles going on in Sheldons mind and how that affects Lenny and Amy in future episodes.

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 1

My highlights:

- Howard & Raj watching that creepy movie

- Howards mother *LOL* (love her screaming)

- Bernie telling Leonard that Penny tooked money from his wallet and bought him watch for his birthday from it *LOL* Bernie is just awesome!
- Sheldons fortune cookie *LOL*

- Penny & Sheldon at the physic *LOL*

Amy looked okay in that outfit at the end. I personally prefer the Star Trek dress she was wearing earlier in Season 5.

• Like 1

Nothing much to laugh about it in this episode and this season, the writers have spent far too much time emphasing just how much penny and Sheldon understand each other and their so called special bond

I completely agree with you Rachel

• Like 1

It really didn't seen to go anywhere, just kind of wandered with no real plot or direction.  And it wasn't funny.  I for one have never noticed any sort of "special bond" between Sheldon and Penny.  Also there were WAY too many commercials.  For a while it actually seemed like a long stream of advertising interrupted occasionally by snippets of Big Bang Theory.

I've actually enjoyed that the writers have put some emphasis back on Sheldon and Penny's friendship this season.  It was a major part of the early episodes, and it's refreshing to see it again, in a mature way as a developed friendship.  There's no denying that there is a bond there, and just like Amy and Leonard said last night, it's a special thing and something that is just there and isn't (and shouldn't) go away.  I loved the way that Leonard and Amy spoke about it last night -- it was a very frank conversation and neither one of them seemed threatened or hurt, but they were just acknowledging the facts. 

As far as Sheldon and Amy, they did have a bond in the beginning (in my opinion) where Sheldon was himself just like (or even more so) than when he is with Penny now.  Sheldon didn't start to show this distance until they officially became a couple, and I think the pressure of what that meant began to get to him, and perhaps change the way he is around her.  Perhaps he is so comfortable now with Penny instead because there is no threat there -- just a friendship -- and that's something he can deal with.  Sheldon is going to get there though.  He is struggling and he is slowly letting go, but it's going to be hard for him.  I look forward to when we can see shamy the way it should be, and relaxed and more fun (the way it used to be) but with an added element of romance and experimentation.  I hope the writers get it right, and bring us to this point after we've been waiting for so long.

Edited by BazingaFan
  • Like 7

I thought the line about "buying a watch for your birthday with money from your wallet" was funny. And the all hair was good. Emily is weirdly cute. And Leonard MUST have done something in a past life.

• Like 2

I like Emily.  The show needs her to be a bit "off".  If she was just normal, it would be boring.  Let's face it, all the characters are a bit off.  I hope they don't break up Raj and Emily right away - it's time for him to have a real relationship (Lucy was never that).

Recognizing full well that everyone has different taste, etc., I just am not into this season.  It's probably at least in part because I enjoyed the Leonard and Penny focus last season and their ups and downs but overall growth.  Now it seems like they are just stuck in neutral, not doing much of anything.  What happened to the Leonard and Penny we saw at the end of Season 6?  Now she's taking money from his wallet to buy him a gift?  If this were a real couple I'd be betting good money that one of them was going to break it off.  I don't know if it's the writing or the fact that Kaley's marriage has re-focused her, but I see no chemistry between the Leonard and Penny characters now.

Beyond the relationship stuff, I just don't find the show as funny as it used to be.

Again, as they say, "your mileage may vary."

I think one has to let go of bitterness about the Penny/Sheldon relationship, although I completely understand that after the years of horrific ship wars that it's very difficult.

When Leonard said it took Sheldon a long time to be comfortable around him, it's true. And it's also true with Penny, which I wish that Leonard had pointed out to Amy in that scene. (Although the scene was a lot better than I had anticipated, and I wish that THIS scene with Leonard and Amy was the one that was fleshed out more than Penny and Sheldon in the restaurant. Leonard and Amy talking was much more interesting to me, not to mention rare, since these two, as Leonard said, don't hang out much. But I felt they had good chemistry together.)

So how the relationship has drifted this far apart that Amy is becoming jealous of Penny and Sheldon being comfortable together seems a little hard to buy, but I can see it because as the relationship has gotten even more intense it's also getting more unstable. At least that's what I feel the show is trying to sell me on right now; there's a huge amount of foreshadowing in this episode, particularly with the psychic. 

I

Couldn't agree with you comment more  about the Sheldon/Penny friendship. It seems IMO that the ones who don't like it are some of the Shamy fans. I think Leonard pointed out to Amy that Penny has known Sheldon a long time. I think the whole problem in this case is Amy. Leonard mentioned that he enjoyed spending time with Amy. Amy thought it was weird. It's seems to me that Amy needs to focus on more things that just Sheldon.

Well, Amy becomes worse and worse..

How she really thought wearing that uniform would work on Sheldon or make him happy is beyond me.... has she lost her brains too along with her self respect and her infinite patience.....

she could have easily gone with a suggestion about his career....the area in which he has actually problems with....but no she had to do something sexy.....

Leonard still brags about having sex with Penny...  that's all his character has got....pathetic... I bet he would have not said a word to Penny about her giving him a birthday gift from his own money.....because she would probably having sex with him.....

And with Penny there is nothing new... no patience towards Leonard .... and now apart from mooching.... she even steals money.... but probably she will give him sex later...

And Sheldon , well now he is actively looking for Changes to his career when he bragged and bragged about his intelligence.... he is sore loser....

Amusingly , the only people that I liked in the episode were Raj and Emily, and their relationship seems pretty sweet , Raj has been honest and sweet and Emily seems to fiery and unorthodox and honest but still is coming across as pretty likable... the actress is also pretty cute.... they seem to have the better chemistry at the moment.... they seem to fresh breath of air in the other wise dull and pathetic and whiny characters.... I hope we see more of them in the future....

Howard was funny too...his happiness after Penny ratted Bernie out was quite amusing...

also it would have been nice to see Bernie in that uniform too... atleast we could have got some eye candy.....but alas....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

It really didn't seen to go anywhere, just kind of wandered with no real plot or direction.  And it wasn't funny.  I for one have never noticed any sort of "special bond" between Sheldon and Penny.  Also there were WAY too many commercials.  For a while it actually seemed like a long stream of advertising interrupted occasionally by snippets of Big Bang Theory.

On iTunes it says this episode was only 18 minutes long. I think that's the shortest one yet. That's why scenes seem rushed and unfinished. For comparison's sake, the show "Cheers" in the 80s (yes I am old) was typically 24-25 minutes in length. I'm a huge Shamy shipper, so I don't have a problem with the relationship stuff, but this season is definitely not as funny, as a whole, as it used to be. (Although there have been some highlights, like the "pass the butter" scene and the scavenger hunt episode.)

I wasn't going to watch but Lio and Andy convinced me to and I'm glad they did. I thought there was some funny moments in the episode and I did like the S/P scenes. My favourite parts were when Amy showed up with the uniform, the psychic scene and the part with Raj and Emily at the end. I like her. :)

• Like 4

I wasn't going to watch but Lio and Andy convinced me to and I'm glad they did. I thought there was some funny moments in the episode and I did like the S/P scenes. My favourite parts were when Amy showed up with the uniform, the psychic scene and the part with Raj and Emily at the end. I like her. :)

I like Emily as well.   I enjoyed that end.  I also enjoyed the uniform scene and the psychic scene and Bernie's reaction to Leonard talking about the "honesty" in his relationship with Penny.   Bernie was again very funny last night.   The rest of the episode was rather "meh" to me.  Just good, not  great.

One of the better episodes of the season. I rated it Good. It was nice to see the Big 3 together bantering without all the secondary characters.

And "“I don’t understand my food" is a GREAT line.

Did anyone else expect AFF to appear from behind the curtain and hand the psychic a big wad of money?

Is MALARKEY a strong word in English ?

No, it's not. It's like when Sheldon said "cockamamie keys" and said he wasn't even very comfortable saying the word "cockamamie." It's a harsh word for him, which makes it funny, but in general, no. It means nothing.

• Like 1

I wasn't going to watch either like Chloe but our support group came to the rescue. :p

I thought it was a nice episode and I have enjoyed the Sheldon and Penny interactions after a looong time. I think they came back to what they were in this episode.

As a Shamy shipper, I did have my moments with Sheldon and the psychic, especially. That helped me put a few things in perspective.

Amy's comment was much better as seen in the episode, but I agree with Lio (I think it was her who said it) that for the scene to be perfect they could have maybe included something more, perhaps another line from Leonard. Either way, much better than what it seemed at first.

Obviously the gulp from Sheldon when he sees Amy (and really looks up and down) was a nice touch. Finally, may I add.

Other than that, Emily is starting to grow on me, I'd like to see her again.

Nice one overall, can't wait for Proton next week!

Edited by teoriapostmoderna
  • Like 1

Pretty good episode, not a lot of laughs, but it was still fun to watch as all the epidodes are and I'm sure I'll get over the flaws after watching it two or three more times in reruns - I liked Sheldon and Penny going to the psychic, especially after the discussion Penny and Leonard had about psychics, nice use of history - and Sheldon dismissing it as Malarky was funny - I thought the characters spent to much time complaining about each other this episode, which is funny sometimes, but this time not as much - I did like Raj and Howard watching the horror movie, speaking of which, it would be amusing if Emily turnrd out to be a bunny boiler - I liked the continuing development of Penny and Sheldon's friendship and Amy wishing she could have that with Sheldon - Amy should at least know by now that she would have gotten a lot farther with Sheldon by bringing the Gravity DVD than dressing in the catholic school girl uniform  :)                                                                                                                                                                

For some reason i couldn't stop laughing when Howard was talking about the first time he saw the video of his mothers colonoscopy and said "oh no it's a prune pit"

• Like 1

With regards to Amy's comment about penny, I didn't like it in the taping report and that was only enforced last night

Amy just looked sad through the whole conversation