The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.21 The Anything Can Happen Recurrence (April 24)

Your Episode Rating  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate his episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Well, since he didn't get a watch, it's obvious she went out and bought a bunch of drugs, instead of the watch.

Can you please point out to me where it was mentioned that he did not get a watch....

You mean like when she lied to Leonard during the scavenger hunt

Nahh....I mean like when she ratted out Leonard to Penny in the book episode...

As for the other, Bernadette has a history of ratting out Leonard to Penny, but a history of Lying to Leonard about Penny's actions. Since she is talking to Leonard about Penny's actions, her pattern has been to lie.

• Like 1

As for the other, Bernadette has a history of ratting out Leonard to Penny, but a history of Lying to Leonard about Penny's actions. Since she is talking to Leonard about Penny's actions, her pattern has been to lie.

Come on Tensor...this is supposed to be non spoiler thread... please no spoilers here :p

Since she Bernie is not competing in a competition here , but is ratting out I can also say that her pattern is to tell the truth... :p

I know that you like Penny , but clearly what Bernie told was the truth... no matter what you say....

Come on Tensor...this is supposed to be non spoiler thread... please no spoilers here :p

You are correct, I edited out the spoiler parts of mine and out of the quoted part of yours.  Sorry.

Since she Bernie is not competing in a competition here , but is ratting out I can also say that her pattern is to tell the truth... :p

And there is no more reason to discuss this. You're moving the goalposts.

I know that you like Penny , but clearly what Bernie told was the truth... no matter what you say....

And I know you've grown to dislike Lenny, so clearly what Bernie told was a lie, no matter what you say. I can be very critical of Penny. But there isn't any way to say whether or not Bernie was lying.

You are correct

I know

I edited out the spoiler parts of mine and your posts.  Sorry.

It's ok , I forgive you :icon_lol:

Edited by vasu

I know

Nice selective quote to cause confusion on what I meant. If you're going to quote, it's much fairer to quote the entire sentence, so as not to cause confusion as to what you are replying to.

Well, since he didn't get a watch, it's obvious she went out and bought a bunch of drugs, instead of the watch.

You mean like when she lied to Leonard during the scavenger hunt

Penny stole the money to buy him a watch for his upcoming birthday.   She hasn't given it to him yet.

Why would she lie now when Leonard would find out the truth when he gets his birthday present in the future.  When someone lies on this show it is obvious that they have done so.  I think from watching the scene the most of us never questioned whether she was lying or not.   If you are going to use the "maybe they were lying routine" then you could say that maybe Penny was lying when she told Leonard she loved him, maybe he lied when he said that he loved her, and maybe Howard and Bernadette were lying to each other when they took their wedding vows.  You have to take what they say as the truth unless the show demonstrates otherwise.

By the way, one time does not make a pattern.

Edited by rickfromillinois

Penny stole the money to buy him a watch for his upcoming birthday.   She hasn't given it to him yet.

Why would she lie now when Leonard would find out the truth when he gets his birthday present in the future.  When someone lies on this show it is obvious that they have done so.  I think from watching the scene the most of us never questioned whether she was lying or not.   If you are going to use the "maybe they were lying routine" then you could say that maybe Penny was lying when she told Leonard she loved him, maybe he lied when he said that he loved her, and maybe Howard and Bernadette were lying to each other when they took their wedding vows.  You have to take what they say as the truth unless the show demonstrates otherwise.

That's the point, Bernadette has demonstrated an ability to lie to Leonard, about Penny, when it suits her purpose. Why is this different? I can see why some would think that she took the money. I can also see where some would think she didn't. All I'm saying is there simply isn't enough evidence one way or another, to definitively say she did or didn't. This show does this a lot.

• Like 1

As I posted, I can then say that maybe Penny lied when she told Leonard that she loved him.   After all, what evidence do we have that she was telling the truth?   I don't think that it is reasonable to think that the show has to give proof of every statement made.   When Bernadette lied to Leonard during the scavenger hunt, she later told him so.   IF Bernadette had lied to Leonard, they would have said so on the show.

Penny stole money out of Leonard's wallet, period.

As I posted, I can then say that maybe Penny lied when she told Leonard that she loved him.   After all, what evidence do we have that she was telling the truth?

Other than she continues to say it, continues to say it a year and a half later or she continues to stay with him?

I don't think that it is reasonable to think that the show has to give proof of every statement made.   When Bernadette lied to Leonard during the scavenger hunt, she later told him so.

We didn't see them together after she left. There was never a later for them. Inconclusive.

IF Bernadette had lied to Leonard, they would have said so on the show.

Exactly when did she have a chance to tell him, she said it as she was leaving?

Penny stole money out of Leonard's wallet, period.

No, Bernadette said she did, it's not the same thing. One interpretation is that she took the money. One is Bernadette lied. It's a she said, she said with no way of determining one way or another. But, by all means, enjoy your interpretation.

• Like 1

It seems clear this was included in the episode to get a laugh and not intended as a serious issue. I think someone else said if Leonard did not seem particularly concerned I'd not obsess over too much. I think we could say Howard could expect trouble if he took money out of Bernadette's wallet. Different couples handle cash differently.

• Like 3

Seriously are we still going on about the stealing? The main protagonists here are never going to budge so just agree to disagree and move on.

• Like 1

Having seen this now in context, I think the inference is that the awful thing she had to do for a meal was have dinner alone with Sheldon.

Edit: Amy was worried about Penny's connection to Sheldon. The thing of that is that Penny has no needs that Sheldon meets, so nothing is at stake between the two of them. They find common ground in their absence of need for each other. Weird.

Actually, she can explain Amy's reactions to him (the restaurant scene in The Shiny Trinket Maneuver) and women in general (laundry room scene in Alien Parasite Hypothesis).

Like people have said before she's like a big sister to him except, unlike Missy, she doesn't kick him in the balls when she gets pissed at him.

I didn't like Leonard trying to justify the relationship between Sheldon and Penny the way he did.  Yes, they've known each other a long time but like I said in the post above it's more a brother-sister relationship.  I also think it's sad he can discuss his feelings easier with Penny than his own girlfriend.  I'm sure that's because he's scared but Penny needs to encourage him to talk more with Amy than her.

Are we really questing all of the characters motives now, to the point even questioning if Penny loves Leonard because she lied about stealing money frok his wallet? Seriousley its not a big deal. Theyre not casually dating, theyre in a equal, requitted, committed relationship. Whats mine is yours sort of deal, so Penny taking Leonards money is almost taking her own, she did it as a surprise present for his bday, come on thats sweet in a grand theft auto kinda wsy come on! come on! Lol. I think we need to be remindes Bbt aint a standard romcom, so when characters do stuff that may on the surface appear mean, or out of character. The writers are doing it as a means for comedy, never loosing sight of your comedic intrgrity. Gf stealing bfs money to buy present cos shes jobless and poor, funny to some ppl and clearly not too some, its a matter of taste. You want mean watch family guy lol, this doesent mean everytime something like this happens as fans we have to analyze to the point were over analyzing, and deconstructing the characters motives, Stealing money does not = I also stole your heart but turns out i was , so here it is under the coach, or squishy and broken i guess it was just a passing thing. I mean Pennys prooven she truly loves Leonard countless times, the writers dont need to her to verbally express it, we all kno Penny has always hd trouble articulating her emotions, doesent mean its nt their, as her actions hv always spoke louder then her words.

hope emily gets to stay, she is stating to grow on me.

amy look hot in her school outfit, to bad we did not

see bernie in one, she went to a catholic school.

overall it was a good+

can not wait next week for star wars day looks

like a great episode

• Like 1

So Penny steals money from Leonard's wallet.   It's stealing whether or not she was doing it to buy Leonard a present.   I found that rather disappointing.

Absolutely this is really deceptive and wrong on all accounts ! How much has she stolen from him over the years ?

Edited by AceMackenzie9

Oh come on. Still with the stealing that was clearly included for a laugh. Bernie was essentially just ratting on Penny to get back at her for ratting Bernie out to Howard. As a matter of fact I loved the way she slapped Leonard on the arm as she left and Amy was chuckling at him.

But you can bet they're not going to be following up on this one line. It's clearly not intended to be an issue.

• Like 2

Actually, she can explain Amy's reactions to him (the restaurant scene in The Shiny Trinket Maneuver) and women in general (laundry room scene in Alien Parasite Hypothesis).

Like people have said before she's like a big sister to him except, unlike Missy, she doesn't kick him in the balls when she gets pissed at him.

I didn't like Leonard trying to justify the relationship between Sheldon and Penny the way he did. Yes, they've known each other a long time but like I said in the post above it's more a brother-sister relationship. I also think it's sad he can discuss his feelings easier with Penny than his own girlfriend. I'm sure that's because he's scared but Penny needs to encourage him to talk more with Amy than her.

Yes, but keeping up with siblings is sometimes a matter of duty, rather than preference. I can't see that without the necessity to cope with Sheldon because he lives with her boyfriend, Penny would go out of her way to spend time with him, except that by now she may have accumulated that sense of sibling-like duty towards him. He is hard work, undeniably. And scared looks very similar to indifferent sometimes. I don't know and neither does Sheldon yet.

I finally had a chance to watch the last two episodes.  I've read all the thoughts about the tag:  why she would have done it, what she doesn't maybe realize would be the outcome, etc.  What I wonder is how they ended the exchange.  Did she just leave?  Maybe there will be some reference to it in a future episode, maybe.  But aren't most tags (especially TBBT) kind of funny, usually throwaway clips?  Given the nature of their relationship and the precipice they're on, this doesn't feel like a throwaway.  Just curious about what others think.  

I finally had a chance to watch the last two episodes.  I've read all the thoughts about the tag:  why she would have done it, what she doesn't maybe realize would be the outcome, etc.  What I wonder is how they ended the exchange.  Did she just leave?  Maybe there will be some reference to it in a future episode, maybe.  But aren't most tags (especially TBBT) kind of funny, usually throwaway clips?  Given the nature of their relationship and the precipice they're on, this doesn't feel like a throwaway.  Just curious about what others think.  

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing and there's been some interesting fan fiction on the topic  :girlsmile: But then again, the tag in "Love Spell Potential" didn't seem like a throwaway either, and they never mentioned it again. So, I've learned to lower my expectations as far as following up on storylines.

OK.  I know it's late but, as one who DVR binges this show in 5+ episode gulps, I'd appreciate a continuity check.

Is the tag to this episode the first time that Amy has ever blatantly presented her body to Sheldon as a potential object of desire?  Closest I can think of:  "Just saying, second base is right there.", while in his arms.  Here, we have Amy actually putting the goods on display and saying, in essence, "Come and get it!"

And this time, Sheldon responds, not with an exasperated, "Oh, boy...", or a baffled, "Umm..."  Instead, its a rather salacious reference to what she might have "under that skirt".  What would he have done if she'd responded with something like, "Why don't you take a look?", or, "It's Blu-ray 3D.", or, "Be right back!"?

I thought Amy in the school girl outfit was sort of hot

Me too.

Indeed, it was that scene that made me vote excellent, rather than very good.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

It has been a long while since I saw that but I don't recall finding it stupid, annoying or even surprising.

Not that I like to dig up an old grave.  But there's another possible reason to believe Bernadette is lying.  The engagement ring was most likely in Leonard's wallet.

Edited by meka3000