The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SandyG

Laugh Track

Can't stand hearing the fake laugh track while watching the show.  No one has to tell me when to laugh.  The show would be much better without it.

Can't stand hearing the fake laugh track while watching the show.  No one has to tell me when to laugh.  The show would be much better without it.

This has been discussed here several times. It's not a fake laugh track, it's the audience's recorded reaction. There have been quite a few people here and at other forums who have been at the tapings, and have verified it. And the are not telling the audience to laugh, the do tell them to hold it down, in certain situations.

• Like 4

Look, pretty much all sitcoms use a laugh track. It's the extent at which it is used. The friends behind the scenes explained that sometimes they replace the actual laugh with a shorter laugh to cut time. Other times the laugh might be too loud. If I were to guess 90% of the laughs are real and 10% are just replaced while editing.

It's a common editing practice. the same thing as foley, reproducing the sound effects to enhance audio quality.

Im sure they use it at times during post-production to improve the overall quality of the episode, but not to trick people into thinking there were laughs when there wasn't.

Look, pretty much all sitcoms use a laugh track. It's the extent at which it is used. The friends behind the scenes explained that sometimes they replace the actual laugh with a shorter laugh to cut time. Other times the laugh might be too loud. If I were to guess 90% of the laughs are real and 10% are just replaced while editing.

It's a common editing practice. the same thing as foley, reproducing the sound effects to enhance audio quality.

Im sure they use it at times during post-production to improve the overall quality of the episode, but not to trick people into thinking there were laughs when there wasn't.

TBBT doesn't. . Laugh track is adding "laughter" with a box, on it's own "track", laugh track. Single camera comedies used the method, as the setup and recording times prohibit having a live audience. These days, single cams go without a laugh track. Multiple camera sitcoms don't have this restriction, with multiple cameras, the setup and recording time is reduced, allowing a live audience.

The audio and the audience reactions, when the audience is present, are recorded on the same audio track . When a pre recorded clip is shown, the audience reaction is added to the audio track, as the audience watches. Of course, when the show is edited, parts are cut, that includes both audio and video.

There is a process called sweetening, where tracks of laughter are added to the audience reaction. Bill Prady has specifically said they have never used sweetening. There are occasions, during a serious part, or something cute, where the audience will be asked to keep their reactions down. The are several documented instances, in the. Taping reports, where they did retakes because the audience was too loud. Not replacing a too loud laugh with a mechanical one.

• Like 3

I'm new to this forum thing so I apologize in advance if I'm breaking some basic rules or something, but I spent an hour searching for the right topic for my question and I kind of lost between the pages so given that the name of this topic contains the word "laugh" ,  makes it to be the closest compared to the the other 100 I  just went through. So sorry again, if this question shouldn't be asked here or  it falls to the category of "What were you thinking???" or anything like that, however any guideline will be appreciated. Here's the question: In which episode does sheldon play the game when they are sitting in the canteen at the table and he's asking some random questions, writes down the answer, reads the result loudly and starts to laugh?

Thanks.

I'm new to this forum thing so I apologize in advance if I'm breaking some basic rules or something, but I spent an hour searching for the right topic for my question and I kind of lost between the pages so given that the name of this topic contains the word "laugh" ,  makes it to be the closest compared to the the other 100 I  just went through. So sorry again, if this question shouldn't be asked here or  it falls to the category of "What were you thinking???" or anything like that, however any guideline will be appreciated. Here's the question: In which episode does sheldon play the game when they are sitting in the canteen at the table and he's asking some random questions, writes down the answer, reads the result loudly and starts to laugh?

Thanks.

Actually, since you are asking a question about the show, it belongs in this section.  However, since it is a question about a specific episode, it should have been in it's own thread, which you should have created.   That said, it's not a problem since you are new to the forum and you did ask what you should have done.

BTW, welcome. Stop by the Welcome Wagon and say hi to everyone.    

As to your question, the episode is  5.16 The Vacation Solution.  It's the cold opening for that episode and after that scene, President Siebert comes in and tells Sheldon he has to take his vacation.  He then goes on to spend it with Amy.