The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cassidyeden

Sheldon And String Theory

Hello, regarding the latest episode about Sheldon and String Theory, do you guys think that this will change the way Sheldon views physics as his career? What do you guys think he will do now since he gave up String Theory? Will this also change his relationship with Amy and will this new career crisis of Sheldon's be a subject in the Season 7 Finale? Let me know what you guys think.:)

I wonder how he keeps his job. But IDK much about academia. He must find funding somehow, for something and he hasn't tenure  - and that would look more remote if he doesn't have a program of work.

Dog grooming?

I'm thinking something may happen that will make him want to stick with string theory. A major shift in his career focus seems so un-Sheldon like to me.

• Like 1

I wonder how he keeps his job. But IDK much about academia. He must find funding somehow, for something and he hasn't tenure - and that would look more remote if he doesn't have a program of work.

Dog grooming?

Well, academia isn't a job where you have to produce output every day, since it is mostly based on publications, so he will be fine for a while. He might be writing papers on stuff he has already wrapped up in the meanwhile. But yes, since he's not tenured he needs to find something to work on sooner rather than later or stick to string theory. I'm sure he could probably whip up some string theory related proposal to get more funding even if he doesn't work on it for a little while. After 20 years he knows it inside out better than most in his field.

I think the question is whether they will have him reconsider because of all the effort he's already put in, or because he has an epiphany or something, or find something else to do. People do shift to other topics quite often, for one reason or another, and even reinvent themselves completely, his situation isn't all that unusual. And yes, his decision to reconsider his career is unusual for Sheldon but that's the point. They're trying to grow him and mature. I don't think it is as extreme as Sheldon dumping research for industry or quitting science altogether.

I think it can still go either way. And I also wonder whether one reason they went this way is because the writers know string theory is a field where they can't really write much success stories for him because of how progress is hindered by technological limitations. That is, if they want to be true to real science. So they may have decided to have him change so they can show him actually progress at work in the future. We shall see, I guess. I'm really interested in this plot!

• Like 3

Not being that knowledgeable in the world of physics (ala penny) has the whole element thing that Sheldon accidentally discovered got anything to do with string theory?

No, not with string theory. It was kind of a random topic given Sheldon's main field of research, but then again he was given some random ones in the past. I guess since superheavy elements are synthetized by accelerating particles against each other, and Sheldon technically is a particle theorist, he could have developed a theoretical model to predict how an element can be synthesized. But it seemed a bit of a stretch. Maybe more physics-savvy people can expand on this.

No, not with string theory. It was kind of a random topic given Sheldon's main field of research, but then again he was given some random ones in the past. I guess since superheavy elements are synthetized by accelerating particles against each other, and Sheldon technically is a particle theorist, he could have developed a theoretical model to predict how an element can be synthesized. But it seemed a bit of a stretch. Maybe more physics-savvy people can expand on this.

Sheldon could have done some theoretical work, using String Theory, showing how two nuclides could form a superheavy, in spite of what the current theory (Standard Model) showed. If the calculations were born out in experiment (as it seems the Chinese team showed), it could be thought of as an experimental validation of String Theory, hence the huge attention this generated. However, his error rendered his calculations wrong, and, of course we found out that the Chinese team faked their results.

The fusion proposal he was working with Barry was a path to a Nobel.  Whoever comes up with a workable fusion power reactor is going to rock science.