This was posted in the Spoiler thread for Season 7:

"Sheldon has proven that when push comes to shove he's the best friend of all the members of the group can ask for. He has swallowed his pride, and done more for his friends then anybody else. He may be an OCD psycho but he's their when they need him."

Interesting supposition.  Hard to prove though.

I did a quick review after season 6 to point out all the times Sheldon was in any way selfless and all the times he was selfish and a terrible friend. What we are shown has a ratio that favors "asshat" by a tremendous margin. Since Sheldon's character is suppose to be annoying, immature and self absorbed that's perfectly fine. We only see Sheldon doing and saying horrible things to the other characters because that's what he is suppose to do during the 20 minutes of air time. That's his job on the show.

Here are some of the few "good friend" items that I found (and I give him credit even when he did it grudgingly):

The Barbarian Sublimation - Helped Penny out of a career crisis with gaming. I don't care if he did not want to do it, I'm giving him credit anyway.

The Loobenfeld Decay - got Leonard out of potential hot water with Penny by inventing an elaborate lie for him to tell.

The Tangerine Factor - The cat is alive!

The Work Song Nanocluster - Penny Blossoms with manufacturing support from Sheldon

The Financial Permeability - Loaned Penny money when she foolishly blew her rent on Kurt's bail. Yes, Leonard ended up the pained hero but Sheldon started it.

The Gorilla Experiment - teaching Penny physics. It ended with him using her to insult Leonard but what can he do? Sheldon being Sheldon.

The Staircase Implementation - Kept Leonard's secret about who broke the elevator and may have saved his life. Big ups for this.

The Irish Pub Formulation - Once again helping Leonard lie.

The Decoupling Fluctuation - "Please don't hurt my friend"

The Fish Guts Displacement -  Amy needed that TLC.

The Hofstadter Insufficiency - Comforts Penny as she is depressed when Leonard is away.

The Romance Resonance - Makes Amy his medical contact. Yes, I know but I am going to count that anyway.

The Occupation Recalibration - Tells Penny he supports her in her career struggle. I know he does not follow through and later shows complete indifference when she is in tears when her car dies but he said the right thing for that day anyway.

The Mommy Observation - makes a real attempt to befriend Howard.

There are probably a few that I missed but those are the major "civil Sheldon" moments. He is a complete ass clown most of the time which pretty much cancel out his Good Friend actions but the writer give him a few times a season that he seems to care about others.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

Sometimes Sheldon comes off as the type who would shove Leonard into his own cello case, which is entirely disconcerting as he should be on Leonard's side, as Leonard is on his. Bring back Leslie Winkle or an evil Barry, or someone like Priya, so that they have an antagonist who is not one of their own. OR... another scientist for Amy to get steamed up about. Then we can hate her/him instead of the group cannibalising itself and somebody on the inside having to wear/be the asshat. Even evil Wheaton got a makeover. They are too nice. And Sheldon is intrinsically uncaring of other people and is battling that aspect of himself, and is therefore a natural villain, in lieu of any real antagonist.

• Like 2

Hello Bangermain dear fellow…long time no speak. Just idling past quickly. In some states possibly called “loitering”…

You might add to your list;

Middle Earth Paradigm – Endeavoured to back-up Leonard when confronting the Homo habilus, even if it was just by looming behind him like a bastardized barbershop pole and snickering at his jokes. Then issued a little “there there” pat to Leonard after his humiliation, and asked if he wanted to talk about it.

Codpiece Topology - “Only nine more months to Comic-Con”. Despite the fact that he essentially engineered the Winkle break-up, it was for the best, and he seemed genuinely concerned with cheering Leonard up afterwards.

Adhesive Duck - Helped naked Penny after she fell on her arse (lack of adhesive ducks!), dressed her, drove her to the hospital, tried to be “comforting” and then put her to bed and sang Soft Kitty in a goddamn round. There are a lot of things in that sentence that would normally make Sheldon twitch. That episode is his knight in shining armour moment.

Spaghetti Catalyst – Endeavoured to maintain his friendship with both Penny and Leonard, whilst keeping the former from Leonard, to avoid upsetting him.

Apology Insufficiency – Suffered Gorn-Infested nightmares over inadvertently scuppering Howard’s security clearance at NASA. Was driven to attempt drinking whilst confiding in Penny that he’s “wronged” Howard, ultimately gives Howard his “spot” on the couch (even if he bails after 94 seconds).

You could even add his two rather interesting interpretations of hugging (in Bath Item and Hadron Collider), as both were examples of spontaneous manifestation of a genuine emotion, in this case, gratitude. Gratitude for the Nimoy napkin, and gratitude for Penny allowing him to go to Switzerland, and in the process sacrificing her romantic Valentines day with Leonard. Which was indeed incredibly lovely of her.

An odd one, you could even say, was refusing to beat Wheaton at Mystic Warlords, once he found out that his grandmother “died”. That shows a decent, empathetic human being.

For S5-7 Sheldon, on top of the ones you’ve listed, I can only think of him singing Soft Kitty to Professor Proton in S6. So I agree that post S4 the unpleasant aspects of his current personality rather overwhelm his occasional decent moment.

Such lists seem to suggest that most of Sheldon’s “civil” moments, as you put it, happened in the first four years. The notion bandied around that Sheldon is “growing” is somewhat punctured by the observation that he appears to be worse now than he was. “Growth” implies becoming a BETTER person, unless he’s “growing” into a huge, infantile, callous Dickensian. Vintage Sheldon had his flaws, certainly (although I thought he was a masterpiece, flaws and all) but they were tempered by his intrinsic honesty and innocence. New!Sheldon (born beginning of S5) has an obnoxiousness and calculated malice that is not particularly endearing. Personally I can’t STAND the fecker…

But that’s another matter entirely. Carry on!

(And what do you mean with your “may” have saved his life? He most certainly DID sir! And Nograv there, we can discuss these matters at the pub mateybob. It’s my shout this time if you recollect…)

• Like 4

And Nograv there, we can discuss these matters at the pub mateybob. It’s my shout this time if you recollect…)

I still need the promised pictures of you two together. How ya been count?

He's a good friend, at least from my perspective. He helps when it is needed, he's loyal to those who are loyal to him (or at least his regular acquaintances besides bullies). He was even willing to move out just to keep pennys secret. He even talked to penny about the secret that he can't keep. People in the real world would've said secrets like this with no restraint. 

By the end of the day, I would love to have sheldon as my friend.

I'd rather Sheldon was my friend than probably most of the others

You know where you stand with him as well

Also when Leonard had a panic attack over his first date with Leonard he tried to help him and when penny asked for his help on dating Leonard he went through the Schrödinger cat scenario

He does help a lot in his own way

Edited by rachelshamyfan

To add to the list (and pedantically correct one thing, the EC is Tangible Affection Proof, not Romance Resonance):

The Isolation Permutation: taking care of Amy when she's upset over Penny and Bernadette.

The Good Guy Fluctuation: he is terrified when he thinks he's actually given Howard a heart attack.

The Speckerman Recurrence: "The Dark Knight has your back. He's scared, but he has your back."

The Habitation Configuration: going to beat up Wheaton over Amy's honor.

The Closet Reconfiguration: He's the one who comes up with the idea of each making up a story over the letter to cheer Howard up.

The Bon Voyage Reaction: He tries to put his pride aside to show some happiness for Leonard's opportunity.

Maybes:

Monster Isolation: Going to see Penny's play even though he didn't really want to (although, technically, Amy made him do it)

Tenure Turbulence: He chooses friendship over tenure (although, technically, it was after he asked Amy what he should do).

Regardless, I do think it's wishful thinking to expect Sheldon's moments of "goodness" to be more numerous than those of selfishness, just because that's not how the character is conceived. But then the question becomes, are we looking at quantity or quality to determine who's a "good friend"? And are we taking the character's limitations into account? As much as I love Sheldon, I don't know that I'd agree with the statement "He's the best friend all the members of the group can ask for." That's incredibly subjective. What I can say is that I don't think he's a worse friend than any other member of the group just because he's socially stunted in a way it makes him come across as selfish and egocentric. What I try to ask myself is whether he's trying to do the best that he can to be a good friend despite his emotional shortcomings. He doesn't always do that, but he does often enough that I can say he does care about these people.

Sometimes Sheldon comes off as the type who would shove Leonard into his own cello case, which is entirely disconcerting as he should be on Leonard's side, as Leonard is on his. Bring back Leslie Winkle or an evil Barry, or someone like Priya, so that they have an antagonist who is not one of their own. OR... another scientist for Amy to get steamed up about. Then we can hate her/him instead of the group cannibalising itself and somebody on the inside having to wear/be the asshat. Even evil Wheaton got a makeover. They are too nice. And Sheldon is intrinsically uncaring of other people and is battling that aspect of himself, and is therefore a natural villain, in lieu of any real antagonist.

But, given that this is fiction, I think this (bold) is the bottom line. They have gotten rid of most of Sheldon's natural antagonists and have made "Sheldon the oddball amongst oddballs" such a focus of their writing that all the antagonism now comes from him being less than likeable to the people around him he's supposed to love. Cannibalism is a great way of describing it. I was pleased to see Barry was still his nemesis in this latest episode, since I was worried he was going to also become his buddy after 6x14. If the gang have some outsider playing the villain, they get more opportunities to have their mean, antagonistic, humor without Sheldon having to be an ass. At the cost of sounding a broken record, I think Bill had more of a "soft touch" in the writing of the show, whereas the new management is going heavy on the mean, outrageous humor. It's not just Sheldon, all characters have become meaner and throw pretty harsh zingers at each other. Look at Leonard and Penny, or Amy and Raj, or Howard and his mother. It's just that, since Sheldon was originally devised as the antagonist, his ass-ery is even more magnified. 

• Like 6

Sometimes Sheldon comes off as the type who would shove Leonard into his own cello case, which is entirely disconcerting as he should be on Leonard's side, as Leonard is on his. Bring back Leslie Winkle or an evil Barry, or someone like Priya, so that they have an antagonist who is not one of their own. OR... another scientist for Amy to get steamed up about. Then we can hate her/him instead of the group cannibalising itself and somebody on the inside having to wear/be the asshat. Even evil Wheaton got a makeover. They are too nice. And Sheldon is intrinsically uncaring of other people and is battling that aspect of himself, and is therefore a natural villain, in lieu of any real antagonist.

I love Leonard's great warning  from "The Panty Pinata" ,"Oh, Penny, you don’t want to get into it with Sheldon. The guy is one lab accident away from being a supervillain."

Its funny about that episode because its in s2 and penny had known the guys for at least a year so surely must of picked up on Sheldon not liking people touching his food

I wanted Sheldon to win that one because of that reason alone

Hello Bangermain dear fellow…long time no speak. Just idling past quickly. In some states possibly called “loitering”…

You might add to your list;

Middle Earth Paradigm – Endeavoured to back-up Leonard when confronting the Homo habilus, even if it was just by looming behind him like a bastardized barbershop pole and snickering at his jokes. Then issued a little “there there” pat to Leonard after his humiliation, and asked if he wanted to talk about it.

Codpiece Topology - “Only nine more months to Comic-Con”. Despite the fact that he essentially engineered the Winkle break-up, it was for the best, and he seemed genuinely concerned with cheering Leonard up afterwards.

Adhesive Duck - Helped naked Penny after she fell on her arse (lack of adhesive ducks!), dressed her, drove her to the hospital, tried to be “comforting” and then put her to bed and sang Soft Kitty in a goddamn round. There are a lot of things in that sentence that would normally make Sheldon twitch. That episode is his knight in shining armour moment.

Spaghetti Catalyst – Endeavoured to maintain his friendship with both Penny and Leonard, whilst keeping the former from Leonard, to avoid upsetting him.

Apology Insufficiency – Suffered Gorn-Infested nightmares over inadvertently scuppering Howard’s security clearance at NASA. Was driven to attempt drinking whilst confiding in Penny that he’s “wronged” Howard, ultimately gives Howard his “spot” on the couch (even if he bails after 94 seconds).

You could even add his two rather interesting interpretations of hugging (in Bath Item and Hadron Collider), as both were examples of spontaneous manifestation of a genuine emotion, in this case, gratitude. Gratitude for the Nimoy napkin, and gratitude for Penny allowing him to go to Switzerland, and in the process sacrificing her romantic Valentines day with Leonard. Which was indeed incredibly lovely of her.

An odd one, you could even say, was refusing to beat Wheaton at Mystic Warlords, once he found out that his grandmother “died”. That shows a decent, empathetic human being.

For S5-7 Sheldon, on top of the ones you’ve listed, I can only think of him singing Soft Kitty to Professor Proton in S6. So I agree that post S4 the unpleasant aspects of his current personality rather overwhelm his occasional decent moment.

Such lists seem to suggest that most of Sheldon’s “civil” moments, as you put it, happened in the first four years. The notion bandied around that Sheldon is “growing” is somewhat punctured by the observation that he appears to be worse now than he was. “Growth” implies becoming a BETTER person, unless he’s “growing” into a huge, infantile, callous Dickensian. Vintage Sheldon had his flaws, certainly (although I thought he was a masterpiece, flaws and all) but they were tempered by his intrinsic honesty and innocence. New!Sheldon (born beginning of S5) has an obnoxiousness and calculated malice that is not particularly endearing. Personally I can’t STAND the fecker…

But that’s another matter entirely. Carry on!

(And what do you mean with your “may” have saved his life? He most certainly DID sir! And Nograv there, we can discuss these matters at the pub mateybob. It’s my shout this time if you recollect…)

Glad to see you drop in from HQ everynow and then, Count!!!

I should be covered with tub sticker for missing "Adhesive Duck". That was his penultimate shinning moment, next to saving Leonard's life from being blown up by the rocket fuel.

What started me thinking about Sheldon as a friend is two incidents during season 7. As you stated Sheldon has become more and more of a nasty piece of sandpaper since season 5 but it really is bothering me this season. It started with the promise of Steve Molaro that Sheldon and Penny would be better friends this seasons. I'm a Lenny but I am not bother by the Sheldon/Penny friendship in the least. Their interactions are a driving force in the funny business. And they are trying to get Sheldon to a better place with Howard as well.

During "The Occupation Recalibration" they had Sheldon be supportive of Penny's decision to devote full time to her acting career. He even likened himself to her quest and declared that they were both "dreamers". That was wildly out of character for Sheldon, especially the current model being written. Then when Penny's car collasped in "The Friendship Turbulance" and she called Leonard in the hall way to cry on his shoulder and setup the standard "Leonard to the rescue" scenario, they had this exchange:

Sheldon: Leonard, would you wrap it up? We’re waiting on you.

Penny: I’m sorry, is the fact that my life’s falling apart interfering with your board game?

Sheldon: It is.

Wow. He may as well have said "Will you please drown, bitch, I got fanatsy worlds to conquor". The supportive Sheldon turned on a dime and became the most callous and indifferent bystander imaginalble. All his "dreamer" talk was made to be complete BS. I know that Leonard will save Penny, that's his purpose in the story, he's done that since the pilot. He's her future husband, after all. But in the first three seasons Sheldon would have at least tried to help Leonard on the mission. What I don't understand is why bother to have Sheldon appear that he would try to help in one episode then walk pass her as if he was avoiding seeing her as she was lying on the sidewalk with a broken leg, four episodes later?

Edited by BangerMain

It's hard to go with "yes, he's a good friend". On the one hand, his various behavioral health issues aren't under any sort of control. (I know. I know, it would be a pretty boring show if they were :) But some of the things he's done would have had serious consequences in most situations. Specifically, when he threaten to tell Pria's parents that she was dating the whiter than white Leonard unless he got a new roommate agreement that "greatly benefits me". 

Love the character, and Jim Parsons is a comedy genius. But I think I'd go on just fine without the "friendship" of a man like Sheldon. 

Wow, would anybody here really want to be friends with the Sheldon who constantly abuses and puts down everyone around him? I am sure Sheldon thinks he is a great friend, and we can name many instances where he has acted as a friend. We could easily calculate a huge lists of horrible things he has done. But to my mind, many of the horrible things he does are deal breakers.

He is about as good a friend as he is a boyfriend. Some elements are there but not a real friend.

This was posted in the Spoiler thread for Season 7:

"Sheldon has proven that when push comes to shove he's the best friend of all the members of the group can ask for. He has swallowed his pride, and done more for his friends then anybody else. He may be an OCD psycho but he's their when they need him."

Interesting supposition.  Hard to prove though.

I did a quick review after season 6 to point out all the times Sheldon was in any way selfless and all the times he was selfish and a terrible friend. What we are shown has a ratio that favors "asshat" by a tremendous margin. Since Sheldon's character is suppose to be annoying, immature and self absorbed that's perfectly fine. We only see Sheldon doing and saying horrible things to the other characters because that's what he is suppose to do during the 20 minutes of air time. That's his job on the show.

Here are some of the few "good friend" items that I found (and I give him credit even when he did it grudgingly):

The Barbarian Sublimation - Helped Penny out of a career crisis with gaming. I don't care if he did not want to do it, I'm giving him credit anyway.

The Loobenfeld Decay - got Leonard out of potential hot water with Penny by inventing an elaborate lie for him to tell.

The Tangerine Factor - The cat is alive!

The Work Song Nanocluster - Penny Blossoms with manufacturing support from Sheldon

The Financial Permeability - Loaned Penny money when she foolishly blew her rent on Kurt's bail. Yes, Leonard ended up the pained hero but Sheldon started it.

The Gorilla Experiment - teaching Penny physics. It ended with him using her to insult Leonard but what can he do? Sheldon being Sheldon.

The Staircase Implementation - Kept Leonard's secret about who broke the elevator and may have saved his life. Big ups for this.

The Irish Pub Formulation - Once again helping Leonard lie.

The Decoupling Fluctuation - "Please don't hurt my friend"

The Fish Guts Displacement -  Amy needed that TLC.

The Hofstadter Insufficiency - Comforts Penny as she is depressed when Leonard is away.

The Romance Resonance - Makes Amy his medical contact. Yes, I know but I am going to count that anyway.

The Occupation Recalibration - Tells Penny he supports her in her career struggle. I know he does not follow through and later shows complete indifference when she is in tears when her car dies but he said the right thing for that day anyway.

The Mommy Observation - makes a real attempt to befriend Howard.

There are probably a few that I missed but those are the major "civil Sheldon" moments. He is a complete ass clown most of the time which pretty much cancel out his Good Friend actions but the writer give him a few times a season that he seems to care about others.

I don't think any of this shows he is a good friend but more how good of a person he is. He is very logical and sometimes he can be a bit of a jerk but I dont think he is trying to be one most of the time. He just kind of blunt and doesn't get tact. He does what he thinks is right since that is what he is suppose to do. I think his OCD and Logical mind makes him a perfectionist. If he sees an issue he will step in to fix it because its not perfect and to him everything has to be perfect all the time. When it comes to giving someone tea these are all morals his mother taught him to do but he seems to lack any sort of social graces. When he does a good deed he does not expect any thanks for it he just does it. He also seems to sometimes reject admiration when its from communities as well. I believe a lot of his considerate behavior is sometimes out of obligation. Like if you give him a gift he must give you something of Equal value that shows how much you mean to him.