The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sitcoms On Tv.com

Fan Fics: What Do You Like?

Yes, this

Just in the last few days I've had followers for a completed story!

I will follow a writer to remind myself to go back and read their story(ies) when I have time as well as to write a review if I forgot.  I'm one of those that hates not being able to read a story in one sitting so some of the longer ones (i.e. Locomotive Aftermath) I have to save for a while.

I also have a list of favorite authors and/or stories saved on my computer and anytime someone asks for a great fan fic I will post my list!

• Like 1

Glad you exampled my story there :)

That's because I follow you and every time I get the email about another chapter I keep reminding myself I need to get on the ball and read it!!

• Like 1

There's a load of new multi chapter stories which I have favorited and will read in the summer when there is no tbbt on

That's when I'll probably finally get a chance to read yours too.  Although my manager will be out the second week of May so maybe I can start sooner.....

• Like 1

For me as long as its well written and fun to read that should be what matters

I wish everybody thought like you, Rachel!

*Ducks in*

I really really love TXFictionqueen's Moving Pictures ... it's the only AU fic I've found that I enjoy. It would be acceptable without TBBT characters, IMO. I think it's a cool story all on it's own... and at that point it's almost silly to be writing it as fan fiction but I'm not complaining cuz I would not have found it otherwise!

I hope this isn't too pretentious of me but let me just guuuush. I don't care how long I've been writing fan fic, any bit of praise is lapped up by me like a kitten. Seriously, so much love and thanks. On another note though, MP has kind of taken on a life of its own and although many amazing readers like you have told me it should be an original fic, I just can't help but see Amy and Sheldon and more importantly Howard and Bernadette, in these roles I have written. But who knows...maybe someday? I'm working on the update, I promise btw and I won't give up. Thanks for your kind words!

Speaking of kind words: AThing & Tensor, you guys already know how much I freakin' adore you. 

Geez, tx, get on topic already! After all that selfish plugging and whatnot, I would like to answer the original poster's question and state that I love ALL THE FIC. I even have some Howard/Penny (nonsexual) fic on my fav list. There is nothing I salivate over more than someone who is brave and daring and talented enough to pull something so unconventional off that they piss off all the canon-worshippers and more importantly, they make it work. If you can write something well, and you can have fun doing it, so much fun in fact that it shines through my laptop monitor and stains my keyboard, then you're doing it right. I don't care who the pairing is. Okay, one exception--I can't read fic Mayim/Jim fic! I just can't! My allegiance is to Todd Spiewak!

Perhaps it'll be my next challenge when the boredom takes root again.

Please write A/U and PUT IT IN MY HANDS SO I CAN EAT IT UP. 

Hey, I read a lot of different fan fics, I only write Lenny, with an occasional other character involved.

Tensor, you don't only write Lenny fan fic. You are Lenny fan fic. No one compares. 

Anyway, that's the main reason I find Shenny fic unrealistic in terms of character development. I think that too often writers are too interested in getting to the sex or whatever--and really this can apply to Shamy fic as well--that they don't work hard enough at taking the characters through whatever changes would make sense in getting to the point where such things would make sense.

As a Shenny and Shamy fan fic writer, I am not gonna lie, that's something I've done before. I see Penny and Sheldon in a sexual situation and my imagination takes flight. Sheldon is by no means a sexual character but all he has to do is blink funny at Amy and there goes my libido, typing away!

But focusing more on my Shenny fic, although I do not apologize for writing it, I can see how this "end game" of getting Sheldon and Penny into bed can seem annoying or unnatural to ppl who don't ship this pairing. I definitely don't speak for all Shenny writers, however. Some Shenny fic is just so creative and well-written, and not just interested in sex between these two characters, that it's shameful that they're ostracized for being non-cannon and aren't given a chance. Seriously--some of these ladies need to be PUBLISHED! "The Elegant Universe" for God's sake reads like a novel! And so does "The Magic of What Could Have Been (or, Blink, and You Might Miss It)", in fact, it could be a movie! /excitedgushing

So, long story short, phanta, you are right when it comes to some of my Shenny fic about sex being the main goal (and true, a lot of Shamy fics do it, too), but fortunately not all Shenny fics are like so. (Not implying that you meant that, just stating my genuine relief that not all fic is crazed sexy Sheldon because that would get really old really fast)

Just a couple of opinions I thought I'd sneak in and share. :) 

• Like 2

Holy crap on a cracker TX those fics are freakin' genius! Thanks so much for recommending them. Absolutely devoured 'Magic' this afternoon and, although I've only read the first chapter of 'Elegant Universe', it's just so incredibly well written it's made my favourite list (the author would have to pull a Tarantino-esque Dusk till Dawn twist to balls it up with that much talent). Just wow!

I will follow a writer to remind myself to go back and read their story(ies) when I have time as well as to write a review if I forgot.  I'm one of those that hates not being able to read a story in one sitting so some of the longer ones (i.e. Locomotive Aftermath) I have to save for a while.

I also have a list of favorite authors and/or stories saved on my computer and anytime someone asks for a great fan fic I will post my list!

Ah, well that makes sense! Mystery over.

You should post your list Anita. I think there's a couple of threads under fan fiction for recommendations, I believe RachelShamyFan started one and there's one where you give specifics about why you like a particular fic if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

I simply don't understand what's good about [shakespeare].

It's sexist (due to it's era), racist in places and has unlikely plot devices and basic storylines. It is the skill of the actor, not the script, that drags a laugh out of the audience as it is so antiquated.

I don't know why we insist on torturing our children with it in school. What are they going to take from it? Are they going to start writing in Elizabethan English; no! Why not have them study something they can hope to emulate, doesn't that make more sense?

I don't deny there is beauty in words (my moniker is taken from my favourite Keats poem, but I'm sure you know that) but there's just too much nonsense between the undeniable little sparklers (and do we really know that he invented these turns of phrase or just used them).

I think there's a place for Shakespeare in the study of historic literature, but also think there's a very good reason producers approach 'stars' rather than respected actors when they cast Shakespeare plays nowadays.

To me, fair friend, Shakespeare never can be old/ For as he was when first his text I eyed/Such is his beauty still.

In all seriousness, I see your concerns, but 

a) I tend to forgive writers a fair bit in the way of cultural or historical biases. I'm not saying that Artistes Cannot Be Bound By Morality, but simply that I don't expect searing cultural enlightenment from artists. I am not for a moment saying that having that expectation is wrong, by the way- I simply don't.

b ) Shakespeare has crafted* some of the most indelible language and characters I have ever encountered. And a fair few of these characters are female- rich, hungry, angry, desirous, witty, warm, loyal, troubled females. Take a bow, Beatrice, Macbeth's Lady, Portia, Viola and Olivia, and many others I could name.

c) I don't know, I've seen some quite a few less well-known actors who've cut their teeth on Shakespeare- even the great roles in the canon, like Hamlet. Ben Whishaw made his debut (or something like it) playing Hamlet on stage, if I remember well. He certainly wasn't a 'star'. And the Venn diagrams of 'star' and 'respected actor' do intersect. Sometimes.

d) Since this is the fanfic thread, I would be hugely grateful if someone could write me a Sheldon/Amy fic riffing on 'Much Ado' (with the Shamy playing the pair with the 'merry war', natch).

* I take your point about difficulties in attribution for Early Modern playwrights, and I'm willing to stipulate that he didn't come up with every single thing we attribute to him. Still, I'm fine with saying that he used those phrases fabulously.

Edited by wowbagger

Wowbagger, my objection to Shakespeare is the 'high brow' status that is applied to it when the stories are so basic and simple.  These plays, along with Marlowe and Kyd's were put on in the same arenas that housed bear baiting and cock fighting as entertainment,and attracted the same clientelle.  Bar the dead language, there is nothing lofty about them, so why the pretence?

Anyway, since you asked so nicely, here is my 'riff' on Much Ado for you.  Enjoy!

Much ado about nuffink, a Shamy and Lenny fanfic.

‘Tis a sunny day in Pasassina and that.  Pero, a pretty dumbass, and her clever friend Amrice are awaiting the arrival of some visitors innit.

Amrice: “Lo, here cometh Lenardio and his @sswipe of a buddy Sheldick.

Lenardio: Pero, you is like well fit!  I’s only just met ya but let’s get married and have smart and beautiful babies.

Pero: Yes

Sheldick: Amrice, I see you’re still here you dog faced hag! 

Amrice: Go f**k yourself Sheldick, you douchebag!

Sheldick walks stage left to hide himself behind a small bush while he delivers his soliloquy whispering from behind his hand.

Sheldick: Crikey, I find her uppity challenging of my authority strangely arousing and stuff.

Amrice walks stage right to hide herself behind a small bush while she delivers her soliloquy whispering from behind her hand.

Amrice: Blimey, his clever turns of phrase is giving me a lady-boner!

Don Bawwy appears suddenly upstage from behind a small bush to deliver his soliloquy unnoticed by the others who are staring blankly into the forth wall.

Don Bawwy: Mwah, ha ha!  I, Don Bawwy, for no pawticulaw weason will mess with these plans.  I am pwoblably foreign or something! Mwah, ha ha!

Night falls suddenly, they all exit, stage left in single file. 

Later that night. Lenardio and Don Bawwy enter stage right.

Lenardio: Why’s I here Don Bawwy?

Don Bawwy: Lookit! Lookit!

Don Bawwy points to Pero’s balcony where a servant who is wearing Pero’s hat is being banged hard against the railings by another servant.

Lenardio: What is this like my stag do or sommat?  Why am I watching a live sex show?

Don Bawwy: No, look!  T’is Pewo.

Lenardio: Nah, don’t look nuffink like her.

Don Bawwy: My fwiend, do you not see the hat!

Lenardio: The hat!  Pero’s hat!  No Pero, No!  I am cuckolded! Wahhhh!

Next day at the wedding.

Raj the Vicar: Do you Pero take Lenardio to be your lawfully wedded husband to have and to hold, to love and to cherish and to have his smart and beautiful babies?

Amrice has to point out which one is Lenardio to Pero before she replies.

Pero: Yes.

Raj the Vicar: What about you Lenardio, same sh*t and that?

Lenardio: No!  For Pero t’is a filthy whore not fit to lick poo off my boots.  I’ve seen you shagging in your hat you ho!

Pero faints.

Amrice: I bet this is something to do with you Sheldick you giant asshat!

Amrice mimics the international sign of  ‘giving a bj’ at the audience while winking and indicating Sheldick with her thumb.

Sheldick: You would think that you saggy scrotum faced bint!

Sheldick mimics the international sign of ‘giving her one’ at the audience while winking and indicating Amrice with his thumb.

Amrice: We’d better pretend she’s dead innit coz no-one likes a ho.

Night suddenly falls again.  Enter Don Bawwy, stage left with a torch, which he shines into his face to look scary.

Don Bawwy: Mwah, ha ha!  My cunning plan wowked!  I only got a servant to pwetend to be Pewo didn’t I!  What am I like?  Mwah, ha ha!

Random night watchman called Dale springs up from behind a small bush upstage.

Dale: Aha!  You is caught! Ummm, I’s telling!

Dale exits stage right. 

Don Bawwy: Oh cwap!

Don Bawwy slaps thigh, twirls cloak menacingly and exits stage left.

Next day.  Amrice enters stage left, Sheldick and Lenardio enter stage right.

Amrice: What do you want f**kface?

Sheldick: Now that Lenardio’s all sad about Pero being dead and that, I’ve decided that actually I am like totally in love with you and stuff and want to have smart and beautiful babies with you, you twat.

Amrice: OMG, same!

Lenardio:  Oh well that’s just f**king peachy innit?

Amrice: I got a cousin wot looks just like Pero, she’ll marry you.

Lenardio: Will she wear the hat?

Amrice: Yep.

Lenardio: Sorted!

Next day:  The double wedding of Sheldick and Amrice and Lenardio and Amrice’s ‘cousin’ who’s wearing the hat.

Raj the Vicar: Hey nonny, nonny, we are gathered here and all that b*llocks, hey, let’s just cut to the big reveal shall we, hold onto your hats people, but not you ‘Amrice’s cousin’, you take it off!

Pero tries to take her own hat off head but sadly is too stupid and misses so Amrice has to help her.

Lenardio: Hang on, aint this the same one?

Sheldick: Bazinga!  Pero’s not dead!

Lenardio: Wicked man! (Clicks fingers in celebration).

And verily, they all get married and do a merry little dance and live happily ever after and that.

The end innit.

Edited by AThingOfBeauty

I've written quite a few fan fics, what stories do you all like? I might upload something :)

Does it have to be Big Bang thoery? Generally I only read certien series like Helsing anime and Adventure time and I stay clear of anything awful fangirls might have gotten a hold of like Harry potter. Now while I dont normally read Big bang theory if you posted a link to your fanfiction page or wherever you are posting them I would be happy to read and critique them. I read another one recently about Sheldon becoming a horny werewolf and while I would never see Sheldon in such a light I found the ideas very original and creative and did like reading it. Though if you did something with Shenny I would love reading one of those. I like the Shenny ship and since its not going to happen in the show you know. I am willing to read anything that is done in a tasteful manner. In tasteful I mean not trying to be extremely vulgar even if it is a little rated. I also would like to read a Stuart X Penny if you were looking for particular ships. So I like the Ships Stenny and Shenny. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan

Wowbagger, my objection to Shakespeare is the 'high brow' status that is applied to it when the stories are so basic and simple.  These plays, along with Marlowe and Kyd's were put on in the same arenas that housed bear baiting and cock fighting as entertainment,and attracted the same clientelle.  Bar the dead language, there is nothing lofty about them, so why the pretence?

Anyway, since you asked so nicely, here is my 'riff' on Much Ado for you.  Enjoy!

Much ado about nuffink, a Shamy and Lenny fanfic.

‘Tis a sunny day in Pasassina and that.  Pero, a pretty dumbass, and her clever friend Amrice are awaiting the arrival of some visitors innit.

Amrice: “Lo, here cometh Lenardio and his @sswipe of a buddy Sheldick.

Lenardio: Pero, you is like well fit!  I’s only just met ya but let’s get married and have smart and beautiful babies.

Pero: Yes

Sheldick: Amrice, I see you’re still here you dog faced hag! 

Amrice: Go f**k yourself Sheldick, you douchebag!

Sheldick walks stage left to hide himself behind a small bush while he delivers his soliloquy whispering from behind his hand.

Sheldick: Crikey, I find her uppity challenging of my authority strangely arousing and stuff.

Amrice walks stage right to hide herself behind a small bush while she delivers her soliloquy whispering from behind her hand.

Amrice: Blimey, his clever turns of phrase is giving me a lady-boner!

Don Bawwy appears suddenly upstage from behind a small bush to deliver his soliloquy unnoticed by the others who are staring blankly into the forth wall.

Don Bawwy: Mwah, ha ha!  I, Don Bawwy, for no pawticulaw weason will mess with these plans.  I am pwoblably foreign or something! Mwah, ha ha!

Night falls suddenly, they all exit, stage left in single file. 

Later that night. Lenardio and Don Bawwy enter stage right.

Lenardio: Why’s I here Don Bawwy?

Don Bawwy: Lookit! Lookit!

Don Bawwy points to Pero’s balcony where a servant who is wearing Pero’s hat is being banged hard against the railings by another servant.

Lenardio: What is this like my stag do or sommat?  Why am I watching a live sex show?

Don Bawwy: No, look!  T’is Pewo.

Lenardio: Nah, don’t look nuffink like her.

Don Bawwy: My fwiend, do you not see the hat!

Lenardio: The hat!  Pero’s hat!  No Pero, No!  I am cuckolded! Wahhhh!

Next day at the wedding.

Raj the Vicar: Do you Pero take Lenardio to be your lawfully wedded husband to have and to hold, to love and to cherish and to have his smart and beautiful babies?

Amrice has to point out which one is Lenardio to Pero before she replies.

Pero: Yes.

Raj the Vicar: What about you Lenardio, same sh*t and that?

Lenardio: No!  For Pero t’is a filthy whore not fit to lick poo off my boots.  I’ve seen you shagging in your hat you ho!

Pero faints.

Amrice: I bet this is something to do with you Sheldick you giant asshat!

Amrice mimics the international sign of  ‘giving a bj’ at the audience while winking and indicating Sheldick with her thumb.

Sheldick: You would think that you saggy scrotum faced bint!

Sheldick mimics the international sign of ‘giving her one’ at the audience while winking and indicating Amrice with his thumb.

Amrice: We’d better pretend she’s dead innit coz no-one likes a ho.

Night suddenly falls again.  Enter Don Bawwy, stage left with a torch, which he shines into his face to look scary.

Don Bawwy: Mwah, ha ha!  My cunning plan wowked!  I only got a servant to pwetend to be Pewo didn’t I!  What am I like?  Mwah, ha ha!

Random night watchman called Dale springs up from behind a small bush upstage.

Dale: Aha!  You is caught! Ummm, I’s telling!

Dale exits stage right. 

Don Bawwy: Oh cwap!

Don Bawwy slaps thigh, twirls cloak menacingly and exits stage left.

Next day.  Amrice enters stage left, Sheldick and Lenardio enter stage right.

Amrice: What do you want f**kface?

Sheldick: Now that Lenardio’s all sad about Pero being dead and that, I’ve decided that actually I am like totally in love with you and stuff and want to have smart and beautiful babies with you, you twat.

Amrice: OMG, same!

Lenardio:  Oh well that’s just f**king peachy innit?

Amrice: I got a cousin wot looks just like Pero, she’ll marry you.

Lenardio: Will she wear the hat?

Amrice: Yep.

Lenardio: Sorted!

Next day:  The double wedding of Sheldick and Amrice and Lenardio and Amrice’s ‘cousin’ who’s wearing the hat.

Raj the Vicar: Hey nonny, nonny, we are gathered here and all that b*llocks, hey, let’s just cut to the big reveal shall we, hold onto your hats people, but not you ‘Amrice’s cousin’, you take it off!

Pero tries to take her own hat off head but sadly is too stupid and misses so Amrice has to help her.

Lenardio: Hang on, aint this the same one?

Sheldick: Bazinga!  Pero’s not dead!

Lenardio: Wicked man! (Clicks fingers in celebration).

And verily, they all get married and do a merry little dance and live happily ever after and that.

The end innit.

HEE! it's like Ali G and Goodness Gracious Me had a baby and gave it to Chuck Lorre to babysit. 

I mean that as a compliment. I think. 

Well wicked, blood.

Innit.

• Like 1

Oh, and ThingofBeauty, I also adore Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Angry chamber pieces where conversation is a blood sport? Ah, yes. (slurp)

Well, with Shakespeare, honestly mine is not a refined aesthetic response at all. I'm an unabashed groundling, and it's far more atavistic and 'Hell, yeah!' than that. So forget the halo of age, and appreciate his plays for what they are- potboilers with fantastic dialogue and rich, memorable characters. That sounds dismissive, but as far as I'm concerned it's really the opposite.

• Like 1

HEE! it's like Ali G and Goodness Gracious Me had a baby and gave it to Chuck Lorre to babysit. 

I mean that as a compliment. I think. 

Well wicked, blood.

Innit.

Respect! ;)

Oh, and ThingofBeauty, I also adore Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Angry chamber pieces where conversation is a blood sport? Ah, yes. (slurp)

Yep! :)

Well, with Shakespeare, honestly mine is not a refined aesthetic response at all. I'm an unabashed groundling, and it's far more atavistic and 'Hell, yeah!' than that. So forget the halo of age, and appreciate his plays for what they are- potboilers with fantastic dialogue and rich, memorable characters. That sounds dismissive, but as far as I'm concerned it's really the opposite.

Nup! :)

In the words of Margaret Atwood, "But you don't know who the reader is, so [writing a story] is like shooting fish with a slingshot in the dark. What fascinates A will bore the pants off B."

Everyone has different tastes, and that's fine. I couldn't be happier that there's so much diversity in BBT fanfiction. The choices are practically endless. Just because a fic isn't for me doesn't mean it isn't well-written. (Read Shenny fics, they said... it would be fun, they said...) *rocks back and forth muttering to self*

But honestly, there's a reason McDonald's doesn't just sell Big Macs. There's chicken nuggets and fish fillets and whatever else, because everyone likes different things. If they just made Big Macs, they'd go out of business. So, if fanfic writers only supplied IC Shamy romances or Shelnard smut, there wouldn't be much to look forward to. I'm pretty sure that was the point of this forum... To exhibit everyone's individuality, and realize that the plethora of various couplings/genres is necessary in order to keep everyone happy.

post-15339-140043168444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sheldon-oscopy
  • Like 3

I do have a pet peeve about fan fiction.  I'm not a literature major but, when someone puts a disclaimer that the character doesn't belong to them, doesn't that make it mandatory to write the character as much in-character as possible, since the character isn't theirs?   If the writer changes the character, then the character actually becomes their character and therefore the writer has the responsibility to developed that character, like any good writer does.  There is a serious lack of character development in may stories.

Let me use an example, and this is only an example, say Sheldon falls in love with a girl he just meets, well that is out of character for the Sheldon from TBBT, so now the author has changed the character and owns the character, so isn't it the authors responsibilty to tell the reader how Sheldon got to the point where he can fall in love and suddenly be like this.  I know writers like to use the AU tag to cover this, but the problem is if you change the characters, and don't development them, then they are not TBBT characters and if you put them in situations that would never happen in the show, then all you have is a story about some people that you took the names from TBBT to use with them, so it is not really a TBBT story.  

The bottom line is this is a topic on what we like, so I dislike the stories I have described above, and like stories that are the opposite of those.

Im all for constructive criticism but recently I had a series of guest reviews telling me my stories were "worthless rubbish"

I don't see how that helps a writer though but it won't stop me from carrying on especially as that would be giving in to them

I love your fanfics!

Reading all sorts of fanfics are fun.  It gets me through the long summer, gives me insight to what goes on in others minds and ...um...my husband reaps the benefit of me reading certain rated stories (if ya know what I mean)   :spiteful:

Must remember his name is NOT Sheldon though...cough cough :unsure:  :icon_redface:

• Like 5

I do have a pet peeve about fan fiction.  I'm not a literature major but, when someone puts a disclaimer that the character doesn't belong to them, doesn't that make it mandatory to write the character as much in-character as possible, since the character isn't theirs?   If the writer changes the character, then the character actually becomes their character and therefore the writer has the responsibility to developed that character, like any good writer does.  There is a serious lack of character development in may stories.

Let me use an example, and this is only an example, say Sheldon falls in love with a girl he just meets, well that is out of character for the Sheldon from TBBT, so now the author has changed the character and owns the character, so isn't it the authors responsibilty to tell the reader how Sheldon got to the point where he can fall in love and suddenly be like this.  I know writers like to use the AU tag to cover this, but the problem is if you change the characters, and don't development them, then they are not TBBT characters and if you put them in situations that would never happen in the show, then all you have is a story about some people that you took the names from TBBT to use with them, so it is not really a TBBT story.  

The bottom line is this is a topic on what we like, so I dislike the stories I have described above, and like stories that are the opposite of those.

Yup, similar to the point I made in my earlier posts. And though we single out the Shennys cuz they're so glaringly obvious, they aren't the only ones guilty of this.

I wish everybody thought like you, Rachel!

I hope this isn't too pretentious of me but let me just guuuush. I don't care how long I've been writing fan fic, any bit of praise is lapped up by me like a kitten. Seriously, so much love and thanks. On another note though, MP has kind of taken on a life of its own and although many amazing readers like you have told me it should be an original fic, I just can't help but see Amy and Sheldon and more importantly Howard and Bernadette, in these roles I have written. But who knows...maybe someday? I'm working on the update, I promise btw and I won't give up. Thanks for your kind words!

Speaking of kind words: AThing & Tensor, you guys already know how much I freakin' adore you. 

Geez, tx, get on topic already! After all that selfish plugging and whatnot, I would like to answer the original poster's question and state that I love ALL THE FIC. I even have some Howard/Penny (nonsexual) fic on my fav list. There is nothing I salivate over more than someone who is brave and daring and talented enough to pull something so unconventional off that they piss off all the canon-worshippers and more importantly, they make it work. If you can write something well, and you can have fun doing it, so much fun in fact that it shines through my laptop monitor and stains my keyboard, then you're doing it right. I don't care who the pairing is. Okay, one exception--I can't read fic Mayim/Jim fic! I just can't! My allegiance is to Todd Spiewak!

Please write A/U and PUT IT IN MY HANDS SO I CAN EAT IT UP. 

Tensor, you don't only write Lenny fan fic. You are Lenny fan fic. No one compares. 

As a Shenny and Shamy fan fic writer, I am not gonna lie, that's something I've done before. I see Penny and Sheldon in a sexual situation and my imagination takes flight. Sheldon is by no means a sexual character but all he has to do is blink funny at Amy and there goes my libido, typing away!

But focusing more on my Shenny fic, although I do not apologize for writing it, I can see how this "end game" of getting Sheldon and Penny into bed can seem annoying or unnatural to ppl who don't ship this pairing. I definitely don't speak for all Shenny writers, however. Some Shenny fic is just so creative and well-written, and not just interested in sex between these two characters, that it's shameful that they're ostracized for being non-cannon and aren't given a chance. Seriously--some of these ladies need to be PUBLISHED! "The Elegant Universe" for God's sake reads like a novel! And so does "The Magic of What Could Have Been (or, Blink, and You Might Miss It)", in fact, it could be a movie! /excitedgushing

So, long story short, phanta, you are right when it comes to some of my Shenny fic about sex being the main goal (and true, a lot of Shamy fics do it, too), but fortunately not all Shenny fics are like so. (Not implying that you meant that, just stating my genuine relief that not all fic is crazed sexy Sheldon because that would get really old really fast)

Just a couple of opinions I thought I'd sneak in and share. :)

While it's true that there may indeed be some well-written stuff in the Shenny universe that gets lumped in with other Sheldon-and-Penny-have-sex! "point-what-point?" Shenny fics, for me all the good writing in the world doesn't change the essential OOC nature of pairing Sheldon with Penny in any kind of romantic or sexual way.

And a point that was made above in tyleranne's comments about your MP fic is one of the things that bugs me somewhat about AU fic--if one can picture it not being about TBBT characters, then it seems to me that it's not just AU, but probably OOC, which then makes one wonder if it really is fanfic or just a "regular" story with BBT character names plugged in.

One can certainly picture an actor in a character's role without it remaining connected to the original show and I think that's often what happens with some authors (I'm not saying it's necessarily the case for you, tx), where they love a certain actor or actors and then imagine them in scenarios outside of the original show, and simply connect it to the show in some tangential way.

What if Mulder (David Duchovny) were a cowboy and Scully (Gillian Anderson) was the rancher's daughter...?  The author figures out some way (often the thinnest of premises) to put those characters there and then has fun with it.  That doesn't mean the story isn't well-written, but it also doesn't mean it is in any way really fanfiction by this point.  Even if you try to make Cowboy!Mulder and RanchGirl!Scully seem like their TXF FBI agent counterparts, if they're no longer FBI agents working on paranormal cases, are they still characters from the show, or do they simply share names and physical descriptions?

So, if you have Sheldon (picturing Jim Parsons in your mind) doing something that Sheldon wouldn't do on the show (becoming some romantic Lothario, for example), whether it's with Amy or with Penny (or some OOC version of such characters, again picturing the actors in your mind) or anyone else, like some original character, are we still talking about TBBT fanfic, or are we reading something connected to the show by name only?

I mean, one could conceivably write SerialKiller!Sheldon and Profiler!Amy trying to track him down, but would that be BBT fanfic?  For me, no.  That doesn't mean I couldn't picture such a movie in my head, starring JP and MB, but that still doesn't make it BBT fic.

For me, anything so far outside the realm of the show or the characters as we know them starts to feel less and less like fanfic.  While it may be well-written from a literary standpoint, if it's not about the characters and the show, I don't know that it can still be considered fanfic.  For me, I mean.

I do think that one can certainly push the boundaries of the show or the characters in order to explore certain aspects of the characters or what kinds of stories one can tell, I personally prefer to read stories that I can truly connect to the show.

Again, I'm not saying that there can't be great writing going on in other kinds of stories, but I don't feel compelled to read AU-type fics.  Just like I'm not really interested in reading fanfic for other shows at this point, I'm not interested in reading AU or AU-ish stories.  But that's just my preferences.

• Like 1

Fan fiction though is about being able to explore the characters a bit more, if everything was totally and correctly in character it would be pretty boring

Jmo

Fan fiction though is about being able to explore the characters a bit more, if everything was totally and correctly in character it would be pretty boring

Jmo

I certainly believe in exploring the characters, but what I'm talking about is where it's taken to the point that we're not really talking about the characters anymore, but just some other characters with the same name as the TV characters.

If they are some different version of the people in the show, are we still writing about the characters on the show?

If Sheldon decides to start working out so he can be more buff and Amy takes up pole-dancing in order to turn Sheldon on, are we still talking about the Sheldon and Amy we know from the show, or have we simply turned them into Barbie/Ken dolls who happen to have the same names but who occupy a different universe?

I'm not saying that they have to only ever do the very things we see them do on the show, but that in exploring the characters, the further we get from who they are on the show--and more importantly, how they get there and why--the less it seems to me to be actual fanfiction for the show, and the more it becomes something completely different where the characters just happen to share the names and physical descriptions with the TV characters.

The point of fanfiction, it seems to me, is to explore stories within the realm of the show and the characters as they have been created.  The further afield you get from who we see them to be on the show, the less it becomes fanfic and the more it becomes something like imagining the actors in some completely different story.

At some point it becomes random storytelling and is no longer really fanfic, IMO.

• Like 1

Here's the definition of fan fiction:

fan·fic  [fan-fik]

/ˈfænˌfɪk/  Show Spelled

noun Informal.

1. fiction written by fans of a TV series, movie, etc., using existing characters and situations to develop new plots.
2. a work of fiction in this genre.

fiction written around previously established characters invented by other authors

• Like 1

Its like there is a friends fan fiction story where Chandler and Rachel have a baby together, that would never of happened in the show, i guess its like the shenny people doing their own thing

• Like 1

Here's the definition of fan fiction:

fan·fic  [fan-fik]

/ˈfænˌfɪk/  Show Spelled

noun Informal.

1. fiction written by fans of a TV series, movie, etc., using existing characters and situations to develop new plots.

2. a work of fiction in this genre.

fiction written around previously established characters invented by other authors

source - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fanfic

I think the big thing here is existing characters, so like phantagrae said, Amy suddenly pole dancing or Sheldon becoming buff like Kurt, is so out of character, that they are only Ken and Barbie using the names Sheldon and Amy. I think Sheldon can be made to change some but the writer has to do some serious character development to explain the change and that change can't be so wild as to be completely OOC from the original character or to make him unrecognizable from the original character.

• Like 2