The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.22 'the Proton Transmogrification' (May 1)

Your Episode Rating  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

So excited!!!  Great clip!!   I grew up with theses movies, and older brothers, so I played with all of the Star Wars action toys.  This combined with BBT is amazing!! 

When he was talking about the cake, reminded me of Raj saying something inappropriate and not knowing. :sarcastic:

I remember when Star Wars first came out.  The only one of my friends who had yet seen it was my friend Julia.  She had an older brother and his friends who were into scifi and LOTR, D&D, and all that.

I think it was the summer between my junior and senior years in high school (1977, right?) and we were in the theater department painting some stuff on the walls and she was trying to explain the story to us.  I also remember seeing the commercials on TV.

Dang, that was a long time ago!

Loved the first three movies.  Pretty much groaned my way through the three newer movies.  I wonder what the next set of films will be like...

Really looking forward to all that Star Wars geekery in this episode, though I have rehearsal, so I'll have to wait until later tonight to see it. :(

• Like 2

I kind of groaned through all of them but got caught up in everyone else's excitement.

Initially when Star Wars was in the theater I was actually confused since it looked like science fiction but felt more like fantasy adventure. Still I loved the special effects which at the time were the best I recall seeing. The background music and some of the landscapes were surprisingly good.

By the time the newer three came out I was just happy to have something new reminiscent from my youth.

Also remember Bob Newhart from before he had his own series (the old old Flip Wilson show I think).

I just watched it live for the first time and first at all... how can you actually appreciate an episode with all these ads ... that's crazy ! lol

The moment Sheldon just hugged Leonard was very emotional. I almost cry.

Here again, someone is giving a message to Sheldon.
In the last episode, it was the psychic about how his love life (Amy) can fix things in his life, no matter the field or the way he would choose.
In this one, it's about how he's chosing to live his life. How he's dealing with the fact that he needs his friends.
How Sheldon just had to grow up with the fact the two men of his life just passed away when he was young. Maybe too young.

Oh btw, I loved the fact Penny is more aware about Star Wars (even if she doesn't assume it ^^)
I love her. She's so funny :)

I'm waiting to see what's coming next.
It was a nice episode, 

Edited by Chrystalie

The episode was beautiful. It made me sad, though not necessarily in a bad way. Prof. Proton/Arthur's advice to Sheldon was simple, which made it all the more meaningful. Sometimes we can take the people in our life for granted, and we shouldn't do that, because we never know when their time will be up.

The Shelnard hug was perfect. So heartwarming.

A truly wonderful episode.

• Like 1

I thought this was an OUTSTANDING episode. This shows they can truly balance the funny with the heavy. I have a very good feeling that PP will come back as Sheldon's spirit guide again next season. I really hope.

I tried not to tear up, but those heavy moments were so well done.

I loved the banter about the Star Wars films when they were arguing over how to watch them. :p

Edited by certifiedotakuandfangirl
  • Like 3

Good episode tonight with it being very good Sheldon focused episode on him dealing with the death of Professor Proton and enjoyed the Star Wars references too in the episode and seeing Leonard and Penny arguing about proposals is such a thing I am so happy right now for them even though we might see them actually propose before the season ends and also the Death Star cake that is going to have people wanting to make a cake like that.

And anyone else have a feeling that Jim Parsons has snagged an Emmy nomination and his fourth Emmy win for this episode.

They blended Star Wars, Bob Newhart and some wonderful emotions into one very fine episode.

Beautiful scenes with Penny and Leonard, Sheldon and Proton and Leonard and Sheldon....

Loved everything about this, with that hug being but one of many highlights.  The Lenny stuff was so sweet and funny.  Amy and Bernadette riffed off each other very well in what could've been a boring couple of scenes (I found the round cake ridiculously amusing for some reason).  And while Howard and Raj didn't have much of importance going on, they were sooo much funnier than in last week's weirdness.

Just a lovely episode all 'round.

This episode. FTW

The hug got me and when Sheldon said the men he looked up to are gone.  Heavy sigh.  I'll be watching this one again...

then again.

• Like 3

BTW, that YouTube video of the PP episode Sheldon was watching......hilarious!

PP: "Ain't that a hoot? And now I need to go fire my writers."

*owl hoots*

PP: "Oh, shut up."

• Like 3

Favorite episode in a while. Great all around, Sheldon was lovely in this episode! And Bob Newhart should totes come back as Obi-Wan in the future to advise Sheldon how to deal with his feelings for Amy.

• Like 2

Good episode tonight with it being very good Sheldon focused episode on him dealing with the death of Professor Proton and enjoyed the Star Wars references too in the episode and seeing Leonard and Penny arguing about proposals is such a thing I am so happy right now for them even though we might see them actually propose before the season ends and also the Death Star cake that is going to have people wanting to make a cake like that.

And anyone else have a feeling that Jim Parsons has snagged an Emmy nomination and his fourth Emmy win for this episode.

I said that in the chat.  When he interrupted Leonard with a hug it was a huge breakthrough for Sheldon.  And the scene between him and Bob Newhart on Dagobah was amazing.

I have to go back and watch when Amy and Bernie bring in the cake.

Edited by Anita Rez

I liked Bob the best in this episode and couldn't help seeing Sheldon act like a normal human being for a change.  Bernadette and Amy seem to work good together when they fight over a parking space or bake a cake.   The tension Penny has had before about proposals seems to be going away, she actually was kidding with him this time.  I hope this episode gets good ratings because I like the serious and humor in one episode and hope they will have more.

• Like 3

RIP Professor Proton. Thanks to Bob Newhart for bringing to life one of my favorite recurring characters on the show, and without whom we wouldn't have gotten Bill Nye or Star Wars CGI or an awesomely sarcastic owl. I love him, and I'm glad his story arc had such meaning and that they figured out a way to keep the door open to have him back. (Unless he gets stuck haunting his ex-wife. Or his Floria. Or dressed as Friar Tuck.)

I really deeply enjoyed this episode, and I have to admit I'm always a sucker for when the show gets back to celebrating nerd culture. I was only 3 when Star Wars came out, and my Dad - the nerd who raised me - took me to go see it anyway when he wanted to see it a third time, and I peed in his lap because I was so scared. However, the man kept trying, dragging me to Indiana Jones, the other Star Wars films, Monty Python, Dr. Strangelove, Time Bandits et al until I can't tell if I love them on my own merit or out of hero worship of the man, but in any case, I empathize with Sheldon's situation.

The man is still a beast of denial, but eventually his feelings catch up with him. Sometimes I think they catch up much faster now than they used to, but it's clear that Sheldon's initial reaction to anything is usually not where he ends up on a matter. His hug to Leonard - just interrupting him in the middle of talking, leaving Leonard in shock - and Leonard hugging him gently back, about made me cry. I wish they had had time to dwell on it a little bit more, but watching it live on the CBS feed made me understand for the first time in a long time just how many commercials they cram into this show. Do we even get a full 20 minutes of TBBT theory anymore? They better end up paying Jim, Kaley and Johnny at least $500,000 an episode considering how many money they make on this show. I think they can practically pay the actors based on what they charge per 30 seconds for the first set of commercials alone.

You'll appreciate this then....

My husband saw it in the theatre.  He took our nephew somewhere to meet him and Jon ran away crying.  Now Jon is 40 and is the biggest SW fan.

I remember when Star Wars first came out.  The only one of my friends who had yet seen it was my friend Julia.  She had an older brother and his friends who were into scifi and LOTR, D&D, and all that.

I think it was the summer between my junior and senior years in high school (1977, right?) and we were in the theater department painting some stuff on the walls and she was trying to explain the story to us.  I also remember seeing the commercials on TV.

Dang, that was a long time ago!

Loved the first three movies.  Pretty much groaned my way through the three newer movies.  I wonder what the next set of films will be like...

Really looking forward to all that Star Wars geekery in this episode, though I have rehearsal, so I'll have to wait until later tonight to see it. :(

I also remember seeing the first three movies in the theatre and remember being amazed by the special effects.  Yes, Star Wars came out in 1977.  And we've always referred to it as Star Wars, not Star Wars Episode IV:  A New Hope.  We also don't refer to the others as V and VI; they're The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

I slept through Episode I and didn't even bother with II and III.  By the time they came out the special effects weren't new and the scripts weren't as good.  I'm hoping VII will be much better especially since they have most of the original cast in it. 

..... I wish they had had time to dwell on it a little bit more, but watching it live on the CBS feed made me understand for the first time in a long time just how many commercials they cram into this show. Do we even get a full 20 minutes of TBBT theory anymore? They better end up paying Jim, Kaley and Johnny at least $500,000 an episode considering how many money they make on this show. I think they can practically pay the actors based on what they charge per 30 seconds for the first set of commercials alone.

Exactly!!  I was just logging on to chime in on this wonderful episode...and was going to mention my one criticism (and not just for this epi) was that things were just so rushed!  Just seems there is no real time to feel the full impact of a great scene like the Shelnard hug before we are off to somewhere else.  I have noticed when editing the commercials out of my DVR version...rarely does the episode break 20 minutes.  Didn't they used to be at least 21 minutes?  Will have to consult DVDs.  But seriously, could CBS shave a few $$ off the gazillions they are making on this show and give us a couple more precious minutes devoted to the story!?   Needy Network, Greedy Network!

But other than my temporally based rant above, I agree that this was a wonderful episode.  A well done blend of a heavy topic with the usual BBT silliness (I will from now on enjoy chai tea and scones on a whole new level ;-)  The hug with Leonard and Sheldon was very emotional...and so nicely acted by Jim and Johnny.  I'm glad the door was left wide open for "O-Bob-Wan-Kenobi" to return, love him!  I think Sheldon will certainly need some more advice in the next 3 years.  I like the Amy/Bernie combo they have featured more this season.  I love that Lenny are in such a good place that Leonard is confident to tease like that...he makes such a cute smartass!

Nice job, Show and Lucas Films!

ETA:  Do not re-watch this episode after drinking a big glass of wine...'cuz right about the time Sheldon hugs Leonard, big bits of dust fly right in your eyes...yeah, dust, that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Also, Jedi Proton with the light saber was all kind of fun!

Edited by bhreg
  • Like 3

That episode was everything I was hoping it would be - I loved the mixture of  Star Wars geekiness and the sentiment of the passing of Professor Proton, and then combining the two was just beautifully done - Some of the highlights for me were Penny understanding the guys Star Wars references, Bernadette and Amy's Death Star cake, Professor Proton as Obi-Wan giving Sheldon the great advise of appreciating the people that are still there for him - I hope that Bob Newhart can appear in future episodes so he can continue to be Sheldon's spirit guide  - and of course the Sheldon/Leonard hug which choked me up - the Leonard/Sheldon friendship has always been my favorite part of the show, and that was possibly their best moment of the series - As much as I love Star Wars, and I do love Star Wars, I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't even know there was a Star Wars day before this episode, but I will make a note to watch Star Wars on every May 4th from now on - This ranks as my favorite episode of the season and easily makes my top 10 for the series as a whole  :)

• Like 2

It did live up to my expectations. :icon_cheesygrin:

I don't usually pick favorites but this is my favorite episode so far!