The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.22 'the Proton Transmogrification' (May 1)

Your Episode Rating  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

L/P scenes were good. Amy and B were pretty good too. Rest was ... Meh...Sneaks in on the GOOD side of OKAY.

That episode was everything I was hoping it would be - I loved the mixture of  Star Wars geekiness and the sentiment of the passing of Professor Proton, and then combining the two was just beautifully done - Some of the highlights for me were Penny understanding the guys Star Wars references, Bernadette and Amy's Death Star cake, Professor Proton as Obi-Wan giving Sheldon the great advise of appreciating the people that are still there for him - I hope that Bob Newhart can appear in future episodes so he can continue to be Sheldon's spirit guide  - and of course the Sheldon/Leonard hug which choked me up - the Leonard/Sheldon friendship has always been my favorite part of the show, and that was possibly their best moment of the series - As much as I love Star Wars, and I do love Star Wars, I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't even know there was a Star Wars day before this episode, but I will make a note to watch Star Wars on every May 4th from now on - This ranks as my favorite episode of the season and easily makes my top 10 for the series as a whole  :)

I first heard of May 4th being called Star Wars Day on the radio all news channel (don't recall how many years ago but I think it was just a few years ago).

Pretty good episode , I like shows  that are just insanely funny the best ( Leonard's mother comes to visit), but this was too serious at times to be one of them . Bob Newhart did a great job. this one got a very good vote from me. wish i could have some of that death star cake!

I want to tell you 2 things that are fact _

1) Penny looks stunning in all black ! (she was ultra hot tonight !)

2) Jar Jar Binks still sucks

• Like 2

Great episode.

Best Proton episode in my opinion and I'm not even a big Star Wars fan.

• Like 1

I haven't been a fan of proton in his previous two episodes but I liked what they did with him here and I liked the two hugs and the cake

That's all

Best episode since the Valentine's day one.  LOVED IT!!   I've said it before and I'll say it again holiday episodes are the BEST episodes of The Big Bang Theory, even geeky holidays like Star Wars Day. LOL

Sheldon hugging Leonard was the most beautiful moment I've seen on this show, besides his train kiss with Amy, the time he hugged Penny for first time during the first Christmas episode and the time the whole gang sang The Bernadette song at the hospital.  I'm so glad Arthur told Sheldon to appreciate his friends more because Sheldon can be really selfish sometimes without realizing it and I think its moments when you lose someone that you realize how important it is to love the people you have left and to treat them better.  Its so nice to see the more emotional dare I say HUMAN side of Dr. Sheldon Cooper.  It made me tear up a little cause I've recently lost my mother and grandmother so I know how painful losing the people you look up to can be, so I totally felt for Sheldon this episode and wanted to hug him myself.  But I know he doesn't like a lot of physical touching, but he's learning to like it more and more and hugging people is a great way to show people you love them. 

Honestly I'm so glad this show has developed in this way with the characters, not just Sheldon, but with them all.  The way Penny supported Leonard by not only going to the funeral but expressing her own feelings about Arthur was sweet.  Also really loved Amy and Bernadette baking that cake for the boys.  I love that those two girls have really bonded on this show and that we got to hear more about their backstories and how they both got into science.  I think its great how the writers weave together so many elements, discussions about their love for science, discussions about their geeky love for Star Wars and Doctor Who and discussions about their love for each other it all blends together beautifully and thats what makes this show special.  Its always been this way, but its also allowed the characters to grow up as part of the process.  Sheldon learning to be more physically affectionate and kinder to his friends, Penny learning to appreciate and understand geeky stuff like Star Wars and not just make fun of the guys for liking it or put what they love down anymore she's embracing it more which is nice  And watching Amy and Bernadette become better friends and Sheldon and Leonard become better friends it just works. 

I didn't even mind the proposal jokes, they were cute and it looks like the writers are finally setting something up for Penny and Leonard to finally move forward with their relationship if not with marriage then at least they need to start living together or something I hope  :)   But, Penny needs to figure out what is still holding her back from saying "Yes" because we all know Leonard would marry Penny in a heartbeat if he felt she was ready and doing it for right reasons.  I'm still not sure what it is that keeps holding her back from totally committing to him, its obviously not physical stuff like with SHAMY.  Maybe its her own insecurities because she's been  hurt in the past by previous boyfriends, but she has to know by now that Leonard is not like those other guys she's said so herself before and he would never hurt her like that. 

Perhaps its because of her career problems and how maybe she doesn't feel ready to settle down and get married cause she still hopes to become a big movie star someday and get to jet off to exotic locations without him. but Leonard just said in this episode he regrets not traveling more so its not like he wouldn't go with her if she wanted or stay behind and wait for her to return if she wanted, he totally would do anything for this girl we all know that.   Penny just has to get over her own fears of commitment, because all the other characters around her are growing and maturing faster than she has.  Even Raj finally found a girlfriend and started talking to women without alcohol.  But Penny still needs to figure out what is holding her back and stop letting it her hold her back.  Just give in to power of love as cheesy as that sounds, but its what she expects Sheldon to do with Amy, so she should lead by example because its time for her to mature too and I hope they don't have to go through another break up for her to figure it out cause I'm tired of that nonsense, but we shall see.

The only thing that gave me a little bit of pause was when Penny said she never been to a funeral before, I mean didn't they all go to that Professor's funeral/memorial service at the university when they were trying to get tenure.  Did the writers forget  that?  Or do they consider a memorial service different than a funeral so I guess technically its not a total continuity error, but still I think they called that one a funeral too so it was strange to hear her say she had never been to one, but maybe because they really knew and loved Arthur this one felt different to her than the other funeral they all went to when all they cared about was trying to win over the tenure committee people.

Also I was hoping we'd get to see Amy dress up like Princess Leia  to cheer Sheldon up since she already did Star Trek nurse and Catholic school girl, but it was really sweet of her and Bernadette to make that Deathstar cake.  I'm thinking maybe the Princess Leia dress up can wait til Sheldon and Amy start having sex, cause I know Sheldon will love it more than he will want to admit too when he sees her in it LOL.   Also OMG! Sheldon bringing up sex with Amy made my so happy tonight.   Remember when he use to call it "coitus"  or just gross, he really is growing up and learning to talk like a man!  I LOVE IT!!  He said "If we were in a physical relationship, you just lost SEX tonight."  That means he actually DOES think about what it be like to have sex with her cause he brought it up ;)  It was funny and awesome at the same time because it was also sort of his way of warning her "Hey don't piss me off Amy, I'm almost ready to do it so don't say things like that or you're going lose all the progress you've made"  ;) LMAO.  

Honestly, though Amy really is such the sweetest girlfriend even I would want to propose to her because she really gets Sheldon. She totally understood that Sheldon was grieving on the inside and instead of putting too much pressure on him to go to funeral, she spent all day baking a cake for him about a "dopey space movie" she doesn't even like just to cheer him up.  Doesn't get sweeter than that folks.  I think between the psychic/Penny telling him Amy is his key to happiness and Arthur telling him to appreciate the people that are there for you the most I'm hoping this is all headed to Sheldon finally saying those three little words to Amy we've all been waiting to hear for some long. <3   I hope it happens in the finale, but if not then I hope it happens early next season during another holiday episode.

I am sad that this may mean we won't get to see Bob Newhart on the show anymore because his character is dead, but maybe they will have him come back and visit Sheldon in his dreams again. I hope so because the man is a national treasure so funny, you really can't ask for a better guest star.  But, I'm happy they keep coming up with ways to incorporate classic TV and movie stars from Bob, to Leonard Nimoy, James Earl Jones, Carrie Fisher, to Brent Spiner, Wil Wheaton etc so I can't wait to see more guests.  Overall A+ episode.

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 7

All I can say is that I just loved this entire episode. Everyone was excellent. Of course I loved the L/P interaction. I just hope they continue from time to time bring back PP to advise Sheldon. Bob Newhart is the best!

• Like 2

Liked the L/P, maybe not so much the Star Wars stuff. Perhaps because I came to SF waaaaay before that. But I did notice the Daleks for the first time in the corridor. And "... son a of bitch". LOL. More man hugs are good too.

Edit: missed an "a"

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Wonderful episode even for someone like me who never liked Star Wars at all.

Loved the Shelnard hug! That was so sweet!

And Professor Proton was awesome! May he rest in peace.

Penny & Leonard were so cute and adorable in that episode.

Edited by BlackWhiteRose

I'm a shamy shipper but can I just say how adorable were Lenny last night? I adore them together and saw the same spark last night as they had during the first seasons.

What a great episode, I rated it excellent. Simon and Kunal were perfect as usual, I just love them together in every scene, amazing chemistry between the two actors. I also love the Bernadette/Amy pairing and the cake rolling off the table was hysterical. 

Sheldon/Leonard hug was so touching,this scene and the Shamy train kiss have been my favorite scenes of season 7. I teared up during the hug scene; Sheldon showing emotion and growth is absolutely beautiful. I also loved Bob Newhart, Professor Proton just stole the show, I laughed so much during every one of his scenes. This episodes has been one of the best in season 7.

• Like 2

I agree with most of what everyone above has said. The only thing I disagree with is the L/S hug towards  the end. I know I'm in the minority but to me that instance is why the Shamy doesn't work . The Lenny had a serious talk about dying and marriage (and funny)  and IMO was touching. I understand Sheldon refusing to go to the funeral with Amy was a set up for Sheldon to dream about Proton and for PP to tell him to appreciate the people in his life. To me though the L/S hug should of been a Shamy hug instead. The L/S hug IMO looked like more a father/son hug than anything else. I think it is well established that Leonard and Sheldon are best friends. I jus think Amy deserved the hug more than Leonard.

• Like 3

Okay, my Big Bang experience last night was disappointing--but NOT because of the episode itself.  Just all the surrounding circumstances. :icon_cry:

First of all, I didn't do my normal VCR setting but figured I'd just start the VCR as the episode started, set it for 30 minutes and then leave for rehearsal.  Dumb idea.

Well, I missed the very beginning, when Sheldon first starts to talk about making plans for Star Wars day because it caught me by surprise. :icon_rolleyes:

Then I got to rehearsal and found that they were rehearsing a piece that didn't require most of the wind players but they hadn't bothered to tell us that we didn't need to be there until later.  I could have stayed home and watched the episode as it aired. :girlmad:

Then I got home and got all settled in to enjoy it and it was fine--until it came to the last scene, where Sheldon has fallen asleep and Prof Proton comes to him again.  Just as Proton was about to explain why he was there again...

The video stopped. :banghead:

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

There's not enough chamomile tea in the world to quell the rage in my heart! :ireful:

I have the season download from iTunes, but I won't have time to set that up until tonight, so I haven't seen the tag scene.  I guess I'll have to go and re-read the taping report.

:(

I did want to add, though, that I loved what I saw.  I did see most of it and I really loved it.  I also like that when Sheldon was talking to Proton in the swamp and Proton first mentioned appreciating the people in your life that Sheldon said he did appreciate them, which means that Sheldon does indeed love his friends and his girlfriend, IMO.  I think that he just hasn't gotten the hand of showing and telling people that he does.

And I like that Proton told him again, to emphasize it.

And I don't think that hug should have been between Sheldon and Amy mostly because Proton wasn't just talking about that one relationship, but about all of his relationships and all of his friends and it was a perfect bookend to the hug Leonard had offered him first.

I think that if the hug had been between Sheldon and Amy, it would have been too tied to only that relationship.  While it might make sense for him to hug Amy as bf/gf, IMO, Proton's words were not just about Amy, but about showing appreciation to all of his friends.  Maybe especially Leonard, since Leonard is like his brother and probably bears the brunt of Sheldon's "Sheldonesque" behavior.  And I think it was meant to be a reiteration of the love and concern Leonard showed him--Sheldon was able to return those emotions.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 7

I loved so much the episode. It was touching, funny and geeky. Happy to see Bob Newhart again. That man's comic flair is unbelievable!

I really enjoyed all the scenes between Prof Proton and a very relaxed and smiling Sheldon. The laser sword scene was the funniest one!

There are a lot of little clues that point out how much they and their relationships have grown up: Penny so in keeping with the group that she can understand the Star Wars references; the confident Leonard that jokes about the rejected proposal; the vulnerable Sheldon that speaks about his losses; the Shelnard's embrace -OMG Johnny acting was really impressive!- and the difference between the first and the second one that tells me Sheldon can change, indeed he is already doing it; the Sheldon's line about lost sex and I wonder: "What rattling around in the big bulbous brain of yours, Shelly"? ;) the Death Star cake gift and the girls' little talk about their past. Moreover, I think throughout the episode for Lenny "Love was in the air"!

I'm going to have a cup of Chai tea-3PO now!

• Like 1

I agree with most of what everyone above has said. The only thing I disagree with is the L/S hug towards  the end. I know I'm in the minority but to me that instance is why the Shamy doesn't work . The Lenny had a serious talk about dying and marriage (and funny)  and IMO was touching. I understand Sheldon refusing to go to the funeral with Amy was a set up for Sheldon to dream about Proton and for PP to tell him to appreciate the people in his life. To me though the L/S hug should of been a Shamy hug instead. The L/S hug IMO looked like more a father/son hug than anything else. I think it is well established that Leonard and Sheldon are best friends. I jus think Amy deserved the hug more than Leonard.

The previous scene to the Shelnard's embrace was the one where Sheldon told Prof Proton about his losses. I think It isn't a coincidence. Sheldon mentions his grandfather, his father and then Prof Proton. The only male reference figure closer to Sheldon is Leonard. The embrace was meant for him.

• Like 3

Funny , cause I thought Amy along with Bernie were not even needed in this episode.... their scenes were the only one I did not enjoy.....

Funny , cause I thought Amy along with Bernie were not even needed in this episode.... their scenes were the only one I did not enjoy.....

How could it be otherwise...

For various reasons I think that Amy deserves a hug from Sheldon, but in this episode I think the hug should have gone to Leonard and I agree with Nevermind about the reasoning.  I also think that because in the last Proton episode, Leonard said some nice things about Sheldon in response to the Prof's questions about why they are friends.  It makes sense that Proton would tell Sheldon that "thinking" things is not the same as "showing" them to others.  Leonard would also be the one who would accept it for what it was and not make too big of a deal about it.  I know it doesn't always look like it but I think Leonard has a better grasp on who Sheldon is than he states.  It's just that it wouldn't be funny if he didn't act as if Sheldon wasn't the biggest PITA on the planet...

• Like 2

One of the best episodes of the season! Really heartwarming. I don't even mind that Sheldon didn't go to the funeral. 

And I liked the Lenny dynamic that emerged. Leonard's sense of humor and ability to make fun of himself is underrated and I think a big part of his appeal to Penny. 

I loved the Leonard hug. He deserves it more than Amy I think. First off he doesn't beg for it. Second, hasn't he been Sheldon's real father (and Penny his real mother) for many years now? Amy getting a hug would be ruined by the whole sex issue, probably leading to yet another pathetic invitation for Sheldon to ravage her. 

Edited by Midru
  • Like 3

Some of the smaller moments in the episode I liked:

The guys' faces as they hope that Penny will get the May The Fourth be With You pun - Sheldon's smile was priceless.

Sheldon worrying that an hour won't be a big enough window for complaining about the Phantom Menace - besides the ever annoying Jar Jar, I think that movie gets a bum rap

Sheldon watching a Professor Proton episode on youtube *sniff* - "Such a shame, struck down in the prime of my life."

Howard and Raj's Star Wars themed spread for Star Wars day - R2Decaf, Tea3PO, Attack of the Scones - Penny getting the jokes shows how much she has been assimilated into the geek universe.

Sheldon's dig at Howard about how he shouldn't be espousing the theory of, if something isn't your favorite you should just get rid of it - Howard did start off as the Jar Jar Binks of the show, but he has grown a lot ever since he met Bernadette.

Professor Proton dressed as Obi-Wan playing with the light saber - how cool would it be to own an actual lightsaber?

Sheldon lamenting that all the men he has looked up to have gone away *sniff* - that was sad, and I do hope Professor Proton makes recurring Obi-Wan visits to Sheldon to give him good advise, like in the tag scene when he advised him not to burn the day, as Dave Matthews would say.

Watched the episode twice and am sure I will watch it many more times - just a great episode from beginning to end :)

Edited by luke
  • Like 2

I think that if the hug had been between Sheldon and Amy, it would have been too tied to only that relationship.  While it might make sense for him to hug Amy as bf/gf, IMO, Proton's words were not just about Amy, but about showing appreciation to all of his friends.  Maybe especially Leonard, since Leonard is like his brother and probably bears the brunt of Sheldon's "Sheldonesque" behavior.  And I think it was meant to be a reiteration of the love and concern Leonard showed him--Sheldon was able to return those emotions.

This right here. THIS. Exactly my thoughts! 

• Like 2