The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.22 'the Proton Transmogrification' (May 1)

Your Episode Rating  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

One of the best episodes of the season! Really heartwarming. I don't even mind that Sheldon didn't go to the funeral. 

And I liked the Lenny dynamic that emerged. Leonard's sense of humor and ability to make fun of himself is underrated and I think a big part of his appeal to Penny. 

I loved the Leonard hug. He deserves it more than Amy I think. First off he doesn't beg for it. Second, hasn't he been Sheldon's real father (and Penny his real mother) for many years now? Amy getting a hug would be ruined by the whole sex issue, probably leading to yet another pathetic invitation for Sheldon to ravage her

Um, were we watching the same episode?

The hug had nothing to do with Amy and sex.  At the beginning of the episode Leonard tried to hug Sheldon after telling him Arthur had passed away and Sheldon didn't appreciate it.  After Arthur told him he needed to start appreciating the people in his life Leonard walked into his room to see if he was okay.  That's when Sheldon realized what Arthur meant and why Leonard was hugging him earlier.

• Like 2

Liked the L/P, maybe not so much the Star Wars stuff. Perhaps because I came to SF waaaaay before that. But I did notice the Daleks for the first time in the corridor. And "... son a of bitch". LOL. More man hugs are good too.

Edit: missed an "a"

I know I've seen the Daleks in the hallway before but I can't remember if it's a single picture, multiple pictures, etc.

was that hug just so sweet, did any one have a dry eye?

love how leonard and penny scorecard proposals came

into play at the funeral home.

like how amy and bernie talk about there start in science

great job by lucasfilm for the special effects.

• Like 2

And I don't think that hug should have been between Sheldon and Amy mostly because Proton wasn't just talking about that one relationship, but about all of his relationships and all of his friends and it was a perfect bookend to the hug Leonard had offered him first.

I think that if the hug had been between Sheldon and Amy, it would have been too tied to only that relationship.  While it might make sense for him to hug Amy as bf/gf, IMO, Proton's words were not just about Amy, but about showing appreciation to all of his friends.  Maybe especially Leonard, since Leonard is like his brother and probably bears the brunt of Sheldon's "Sheldonesque" behavior.  And I think it was meant to be a reiteration of the love and concern Leonard showed him--Sheldon was able to return those emotions.

Bingo. I have concerns about the way that the Sheldon/Amy relationship is written, but I would also be irritated if every single moment of growth or change in a person's life was tied to his/her romantic relationships. It makes sense for Sheldon to hug Leonard, to show Leonard that he appreciates Leonard's compassion and forbearance. 

Highlight of the season for me. There have been funnier episodes ( I cracked up continuously through scavenger, thanksgiving and Christmas ) but this was a brilliantly written episode that should be the template for all episodes.

All the story arcs were linked, even the mini one with Amy and Bernadette. The episodes that have bugged me this year are the ones where the support characters were just in scenes for the sake of collecting a pay packet.

Compare this episode which had a major Lenny focus to the double proposal episodes earlier in season. While Leonard and Penny had major time to develop the plot, these shows were spoiled by completely unrelated and pointless scenes involving the Raj and Stewart can't talk to people story, the irrelevant Amy/Bert plot and Bernie needs a comic. They interrupted the flow of Lennys story and cut their scenes short without any purpose.

This episode on the other hand flowed perfectly from start to finish. With Star Wars day as the backdrop, Howard/Raj and Amy/Bernadette contributed to the story while not interfering with the two main arcs of Lenny and Sheldon's dream with Proton.

What I really appreciated was the length of the scenes between Lenny and Sheldon/Proton. Each of their scenes gave them time to develop a conversation that had time to include both humour and real emotional impact. Compare this with the constant stop start short scenes in Anything Can happen that just seemed to be setups for punch lines but no time to build chemistry between characters in the scene or develop plot. The transition from Sheldon's dream end to Leonard's entry and the subsequent hug highlight then move into returning to the boys was not interrupted by the sometimes annoying spinning atom animation - it just flowed and allowed time for the viewer to appreciated what happened.

I also loved the positive tone of the episode. Sheldon's barbs weren't mean spirited, Penny never got that snarky whiny look on her face when Leonard stirred her ( they looked so content and happy with each other ) Amy and Bernie were not being negative about their men's geeky exploits and actually embraced it for a change and Bob Newhart was just brilliant in everything he did and nailed his unwitting positive message to Sheldon.

I just loved the happy vibe, despite the somber death plot.

I just loved seeing the girls embracing their secret geekiness and that writers openly fed Penny multiple admissions of understanding the boys Star Wars references.

I love watching Jim Parsons using that mellow, respectful tone when he is being nice Sheldon.

I loved confident, comfortable, secure, adult Leonard.

I loved Lenny alone time without Sheldon interference.

I just loved the whole thing.

Yes, yes, yes. I am a sucker for episodes in which the characters love and respect each other- in which you can see why these people are friends/lovers.

Hooray for restraint and cutting out the audience reaction during the Swamps of Dagobah scene. When you have Newhart and Parsons getting to grips with some very meaty material, no need to nudge us towards a reaction.

And how lovely was it that we got some insight into Amy and Bernadette's interest in science? An origin story, if you will. It was funny and sweet and in character. And we don't see Amy and Bernadette off by themselves often enough, do we? Come on! Rauch and Bialik have been fantastic additions to the cast! get 'em together more often!

And how adorable were Leonard and Penny together this episode? So charming.

Jim Parsons will get a lot of -richly deserved- praise for his work this episode, but can we take a moment to appreciate Johnny Galecki's work as well during both hugs? 

And finally, because I am a Sheldon/Amy 'shipper, and I am incorrigible:

'If we were in a physical relationship, you just lost sex tonight.'

What I wouldn't give for Amy to respond with 'Huh. never thought of it like that. Score 10000 for not being in a physical relationship.', while Sheldon looks Shel(l)-shocked.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 2

It was a good episode. Jim Parsons is out of this world.

Lenny sweet moments are always appreciated.

The Death Star cake looked awesome and delicious.

• Like 1

I wonder if this is the best rated episode on here. As of now there is not one bad or very bad vote. I think it had the perfect blend of science stuff, relationship stuff, and nerd stuff to make everyone happy. :)

• Like 1

Bingo. I have concerns about the way that the Sheldon/Amy relationship is written, but I would also be irritated if every single moment of growth or change in a person's life was tied to his/her romantic relationships. It makes sense for Sheldon to hug Leonard, to show Leonard that he appreciates Leonard's compassion and forbearance. 

Yes, yes, yes. I am a sucker for episodes in which the characters love and respect each other- in which you can see why these people are friends/lovers.

Hooray for restraint and cutting out the audience reaction during the Swamps of Dagobah scene. When you have Newhart and Parsons getting to grips with some very meaty material, no need to nudge us towards a reaction.

And how lovely was it that we got some insight into Amy and Bernadette's interest in science? An origin story, if you will. It was funny and sweet and in character. And we don't see Amy and Bernadette off by themselves often enough, do we? Come on! Rauch and Bialik have been fantastic additions to the cast! get 'em together more often!

And how adorable were Leonard and Penny together this episode? So charming.

Jim Parsons will get a lot of -richly deserved- praise for his work this episode, but can we take a moment to appreciate Johnny Galecki's work as well during both hugs? 

And finally, because I am a Sheldon/Amy 'shipper, and I am incorrigible:

'If we were in a physical relationship, you just lost sex tonight.'

What I wouldn't give for Amy to respond with 'Huh. never thought of it like that. Score 10000 for not being in a physical relationship.', while Sheldon looks Shel(l)-shocked.

I loved the Lenny and Bernie/Amy scenes too.  Johnny's reaction when Jim leaned over to hug him was priceless, as were the scenes in Dagobah between Jim and Bob.  I would be shocked if neither Jim nor Bob were nominated for an Emmy for that one scene.

I love Sheldon used the word 'sex' instead of 'coitus'.

• Like 1

I think Penny grew up a bit in this episode. A bit of a poke from the "life is short" stick. And a big poke for Sheldon, of course, even though he didn't get it initially. I appreciate too that posters have pointed out how coherent this episode was. Thanks folks.

I honor of this episode and today, may I just say:

"May the Fourth be with you!"

:biggrin:

I celebrated by watching the Star Wars movies, and I took Howard and Raj's suggestion by watching A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back first, watching Revenge of the Sith as a flashback and then finishing with Return of the Jedi - which eliminated the need to watch the first two of the prequels - including  dinner, lunch and snack breaks it took me 12 hours to watch the four movies - by the way, if the gang had watched all six of the movies Twice, even with no breaks it would've taken them over 24 hours, even I don't like Star Wars That much, but I had a lot of fun doing it - all I was missing was the Death Star cake - Happy Star Wars Day! - oh, and I closed out the day by watching the episode again :)

Edited by luke
  • Like 4

These movies have been on tv so frequently that I generally just watch a favorite scene here or there or perhaps a scene I have not seen in a long while.. All of the movies contain some scenes I like and the whole thing just seems like one real long move..

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing new ones again. An aged Mark Hamill,  Herrison Ford and Carrie Fisher will bring something I don't think I have seen in a movie saga before. The actors from the original 30+ years later.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/showbiz/movies/star-wars-cast-mark-hamill-carrie-fisher/

I like Star Wars but I'm not a rabid fan. Even though I have seen all six movies made so far I am a fan of the original 3 only (episodes 4 through 6).

• Like 1

I like Star Wars but I'm not a rabid fan. Even though I have seen all six movies made so far I am a fan of the original 3 only (episodes 4 through 6).

To be honest, I've seen the Star Wars movies so many times that I get impatient trying to watch them again. I'll usually just skip around to the scenes I want to watch, and let my brain fill in the rest automatically. (Granted, the prequel trilogy doesn't exactly lend itself to the desire for repeat viewings, though I'm not an all-out hater like some people.)

This was a difficult episode to watch and a dull one too. BBT seems to be out of ideas. Also for someone like me who's never watched a star wars movie, the jokes meant nothing to me. Maybe thats the reason. However, season 7 has by far a lot of disjointed episodes that whenever an episode ends you feel you haven't watched anything; just a bunch of clips put together. Also Sheldon is no longer funny in his robotic way. He's obnoxious and irritating. I hope the writers can rescue the old Sheldon !!

• Like 1

This was a difficult episode to watch and a dull one too. BBT seems to be out of ideas. Also for someone like me who's never watched a star wars movie, the jokes meant nothing to me. Maybe thats the reason. However, season 7 has by far a lot of disjointed episodes that whenever an episode ends you feel you haven't watched anything; just a bunch of clips put together. Also Sheldon is no longer funny in his robotic way. He's obnoxious and irritating. I hope the writers can rescue the old Sheldon !!

What "old Sheldon" are you talking about?

Judging by the ratings, BBT is far from out of ideas.  I think it was a very interesting, very different episode, and very well done.

If you've never seen Star Wars, then, yeah, a lot of the references aren't going to mean anything to you.  That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the episode.

Season 7 has had several really good episodes.  Just because you want some ancient version of the characters or can't accept that they've been growing--in a very slow, organic, logical way--doesn't mean that there's anything fundamentally wrong with the show.

Is it perfect?  Probably not.  But that doesn't mean that it's out of ideas or that the episodes are disjointed.

• Like 1

Yeah, but Sheldon was never whining in previous seasons (S01,02,03,04). He used to get his way by adamantly sticking to what he believes and often does that in a very rigid way. Sheldon was perhaps the biggest reason the show became a big hit. Most people do not behave like him and so were intrigued by his personality. Frankly I think if the present version of Sheldon was the one introduced in the first season, the show wouldn't have had the same success. That's my two cents. You can disagree but its a fundamental truth! FYI, I still rewatch the early seasons just to remind myself how awesome it was.

• Like 1

You can disagree but its a fundamental truth! FYI, I still rewatch the early seasons just to remind myself how awesome it was.

Actually, it's not a fundamental truth, it's your fundamental truth. My fundamental truth is that it's gotten better, since the early years. I stlll watch the earlier season, because I like them also, and to remind myself how much better the characters have gotten.

• Like 4

Actually, it's not a fundamental truth, it's your fundamental truth. My fundamental truth is that it's gotten better, since the early years. I stlll watch the earlier season, because I like them also, and to remind myself how much better the characters have gotten.

True, Raj's acting has improved and so is his character. Leonard has degraded somehow. However, I don't think there was anything wrong with the rest of them. Howard has been the only character with a consistent personality. Yes, he's got married but has maintained his brand of humor.

True, Raj's acting has improved and so is his character. Leonard has degraded somehow. However, I don't think there was anything wrong with the rest of them. Howard has been the only character with a consistent personality. Yes, he's got married but has maintained his brand of humor.

Actually, Raj's character, up until the last few episodes has become whiny and depressing. Leonard, with the exception of one or two instances this year) has gotten more confident in his relationship with Penny since the beginning of last year. And I don't know how you can say Howard has been consistent. His character has changed more than anyone. He's no where near as sleazy, pathetic and disgusting as he was in the first few years. YMMV

• Like 6

Yeah, but Sheldon was never whining in previous seasons (S01,02,03,04). He used to get his way by adamantly sticking to what he believes and often does that in a very rigid way. Sheldon was perhaps the biggest reason the show became a big hit. Most people do not behave like him and so were intrigued by his personality. Frankly I think if the present version of Sheldon was the one introduced in the first season, the show wouldn't have had the same success. That's my two cents. You can disagree but its a fundamental truth! FYI, I still rewatch the early seasons just to remind myself how awesome it was.

Actually, a lot of people behave like this but those not familiar with these issues see them as bratty, spoiled, weird, etc.

The scene between Sheldon and Proton on Dagobah was simple and amazing.  It had some humorous moments but it wasn't over the top.  It wouldn't surprise me if Jim and Bob were nominated for Emmys for just that one scene because it was so powerful.

• Like 1

But Sheldon was whining in season 1. Like in S1e11

Penny: Okay, nice and cosy, okay, I’ll see you later.

Sheldon: Wait. Will you please rub this on my chest.

Penny: Oh, Sheldon, can’t you do that yourself?

Sheldon: Vaporub makes my hands smell funny.

Penny: But Sheldon….

Sheldon: Please, please, please, please, please, please, please.

Penny: I can’t believe I’m doing this.

Sheldon: No, no, counter-clockwise or my chest hair mats.

Penny: Sorry.

Sheldon: Can you sing “Soft Kitty”.

Penny: What?

Sheldon whining in season 2 e 17

Sheldon: Oh, no.

Leonard: What’s the matter?

Sheldon: I forgot my flash drive.

Leonard: So?

Sheldon: So we have to go back.

Leonard: Okay, Sheldon, I’m going to say why and your answer cannot be because I forgot my flash drive.

Sheldon: You don’t understand. My flash drive has my paper on astrophysical probes of M-theory effects in the early universe that I was going to give to George Smoot at the conference.

Leonard: Why do you have to give your paper to George Smoot?

Sheldon: It’s brilliant. He needs to read it.

Leonard: So you’ll send him an e-mail when we get back.

Sheldon: Then I won’t get to see his face light up as he reads it.

Leonard: Right. Of course.

Sheldon: Oh, this is an unmitigated disaster.

Leonard: Well, there’s nothing you can do about it, so relax, sit back, enjoy the clickety-clack of the steel wheels on the polished rails.

Sheldon: You forgot your flash drive, You forgot your flash drive (repeated over and over in time to the sound of the train)

Leonard: Only ten hours, 55 minutes to go.

From season 4 e14

Penny: Mrs Cooper? Hey, it's Penny. I think I broke your son. Hold on. (To Sheldon) Talk to your mother.

Sheldon: (Crying) Mummy, I love you. Don't let Spock take me to the future!

Here is Sheldon whining in season 4 e23

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

I sort of agree and disagree with hamorabi at the same time.

I love the new Sheldon who has changed thanks to Amy, and I love watching him grow, but I also kinda prefer the original Sheldon who was more often directly linked with science and culture, somewhat more independent and yes, less whiny. I wish he could be like that again with Amy - the power couple of season 4.

Some of my friends (who are scientists) have stopped watching the show because they think it's now become solely centered on relationships and we no longer get to see how brilliant Sheldon is supposed to be. I understand them.

Edited by FrenchBBTfan