The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.22 'the Proton Transmogrification' (May 1)

Your Episode Rating  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I sort of agree and disagree with hamorabi at the same time.

I love the new Sheldon who has changed thanks to Amy, and I love watching him grow, but I also kinda prefer the original Sheldon who was more often directly linked with science and culture, somewhat more independent and yes, less whiny. I wish he could be like that again with Amy - the power couple of season 4.

Some of my friends (who are scientists) have stopped watching the show because they think it's now become solely centered on relationships and we no longer get to see how brilliant Sheldon is supposed to be. I understand them.

There's little point in discussing the changes in the show with people on this forum, it's a frustrating exercise in futilely. If they can not see the difference between the Sheldon in S1-3 and this new Sheldon then why waste your time? It's glaring obvious and doesn't even warrant pointing out. You won't last long here if you are not a shipper, 100% behind the new seasons. Everyone else left a long time ago.

Edited by Moonbase

There's little point in discussing the changes in the show with people on this forum, it's a frustrating exercise in futilely. If they can not see the difference between the Sheldon in S1-3 and this new Sheldon then why waste your time? It's glaring obvious and doesn't even warrant pointing out. You won't last long here if you are not a shipper, 100% behind the new seasons. Everyone else left a long time ago.

I guess this is the point where the rest of us are supposed to hang our heads in shame. Unfortunately, I won't be able to accommodate you, as I'm in the middle of moving. Perhaps later?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Apparently, the only valid opinions are Moonbase's and those who agree with him.

• Like 1

I get this to some extent, but I'm not and never had been a huge fan of Sheldon. He did have a unique set of characteristics - the question of his deal, the sense of being apart from everything and the colossal intellect - that made him a terrific contrast and antagonist to Leonard and Penny. He used to not at all want any of what they were having. I can also see the appeal of the nuttier s1-3 episodes. But for me, the story has moved on - nicely for L/P, even though they are not centre stage and didn't really get a good arc until the dying days of this season. At least they are there. The other Sheldon has been moved on, but we did see a huge call back to him in the last episode, with the comment about the padawan. Classic, I think.

And the stomping out of diverse opinion, politely expressed, is regrettable. But things escalate when people throw words like rocks. Wadda ya do. :(

Regardless of what one thinks of Sheldon's character development overall I don't know why these complaints should be coming up in a discussion of this episode. Sheldon was not whining in this episode and I have provided examples where he was whining in sessions 1, 2 and 4. I'm sure one could come up with many more examples too.

Also, I should point out, just as the fan base has some people who watched star wars growing up there are also fans who apparently did not watch any star wars. Now TBBT also has characters who are star wars fans and characters that are not star wars fans (apart from just Penny). I think it is a good enriching mix.

With regard to fans with an interest in science becoming disenchanted with TBBT I just point out that most of the truly anti TBBT blogs and articles that I have seen came out in the early seasons of the show. I'm talking about headlines like why geeks hate TBBT.

Back to this specific episode. It was a great episode. Sheldon has dreams in which his subconscious is telling him he has to change and be appreciative of his friends. How nice. It may well take a long time before this translates into actual changes in his behavior as the following episodes don't seem to indicate he is a changed man. This seems realistic. A person can't be expected to suddenly change when he just starts believing he may need to change.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

And the stomping out of diverse opinion, politely expressed, is regrettable. But things escalate when people throw words like rocks. Wadda ya do. :(

Not sure if that was aimed at me or moonbase, or someone else, but I will say this; everybody here is entitled to express their opinion on the show, preferably in a respectful manner. They should also not be surprised, however, if there are those who disagree with them and say so, also politely. That being said, I did find moonbase's previous post to be somewhat insulting to those who are happy with the direction the show has taken, even if only subtly so.

Not sure if that was aimed at me or moonbase, or someone else, but I will say this; everybody here is entitled to express their opinion on the show, preferably in a respectful manner. They should also not be surprised, however, if there are those who disagree with them and say so, also politely. That being said, I did find moonbase's previous post to be somewhat insulting to those who are happy with the direction the show has taken, even if only subtly so.

No not you - just a general reflection. How could it be you? You're adorable. Lol.

Damn: Tripper will moderate that one for sure. Lol.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

No not you - just a general reflection. How could it be you? You're adorable. Lol.

Yeah, I'm freakin' sweet!

There's little point in discussing the changes in the show with people on this forum, it's a frustrating exercise in futilely.

That does work both ways, you know.

If they can not see the difference between the Sheldon in S1-3 and this new Sheldon then why waste your time? It's glaring obvious and doesn't even warrant pointing out.

Oh, I agree. But there are quite few who can see the difference, they just happen to like the way that Sheldon is portrayed now. It's just as frustrating for those who like the new Sheldon, to try to discuss things with those who can see no redeeming features of his current incarnation.

• Like 1

That does work both ways, you know.

Oh, I agree. But there are quite few who can see the difference, they just happen to like the way that Sheldon is portrayed now. It's just as frustrating for those who like the new Sheldon, to try to discuss things with those who can see no redeeming features of his current incarnation.

wanna know what i think of him in any incarnation? lol

funny

(*whispers* maybe not in "itchy brain").

But full-on cocky and looking in the wrong direction in "Proton"

There’s nothing wrong with that. I didn’t say that fans who liked the new Sheldon were wrong too, that’s entirely up to them. I said there’s no point arguing with people who won’t admit the character has changed.

Personally, I prefer the early Sheldon, who didn’t giggle, was deadpan, factual and uber-intelligent. He’s not a likeable character anymore, he was likeable when he was honest and unique. I can understand why fans hate him now. There’s nothing left to like.

The character has changed, they all have

Its part of the premise of the show but Sheldon is still likeable

Edited by rachelshamyfan

The character has changed, they all have

Its part of the premise of the show but Sheldon is still likeable

From what I'd read here most Shamys only like Sheldon if he will play house with Amy, otherwise they don't think much of him either. What do you like about the character now, that doesn't have anything to do with what Amy wants from him?

• Like 1

The scenes between he and Howard in Mommy Observation and Relationship Diremption showed a more mature Sheldon, as did the scene between him and Raj where he tells Raj his problem is that he doesn't want to be alone.  And the scenes between him and Proton in this specific episode, especially the scene on Dagobah, definitely showed him becoming more mature.

Yes, he still whines but he was able to admit he needed to get away to think about everything that's happened.  Granted, most adults wouldn't do this and he didn't tell anyone he was leaving but the old Sheldon would've just whined the entire episode.  He manned up and realized he needed time and space to think.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I don't recognize this scene. :huh: 

Proton Funeral.jpg

The scene it self, or the storyline? Leonard and Penny went to Protons Funeral.