Guest Interaction

Sitcoms On Tv.com

OK, so I posted this on another forum but I thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas.

I'm looking for some inspiration for sections/topics etc that help interact with forum guests. I was told on another forum it's not right to force guests to register before viewing the board, so I have that feature turned off, but I'm having a hard time getting guests to interact, they seem to come on, read everything, then leave. Whilst it's nice that they are reading my content, it makes the site look deserted when they don't register.

Any ideas much appreciated :)

I'm not sure what you can do. Forcing them to register may cause them to just bypass the site. At least if they look, they may actually register. I think this is a problem all sites deal with. I was looking at some things for the Ratings Contest and found that there are 279 pages of members, 119 of those are members with no posts. There are 204 out of those 279 pages that are posters with two or less posts. So I'm really not sure what you can do about it.

The one thing I have noticed about most forums is their membership count is really misleading.  The actual number of those members who actively post is usually rather slim comparatively.  I'm not sure how to change that since there are many people who don't like to express their opinions online but do enjoy reading everyone else's.

What this forum has that is very active is a "off topic" section.  That helps to bring people in to post that may not actively post their opinions on the episode threads but do in fact watch the show.  

Not sure if this helps but ...

I'm not sure what you can do. Forcing them to register may cause them to just bypass the site. At least if they look, they may actually register. I think this is a problem all sites deal with. I was looking at some things for the Ratings Contest and found that there are 279 pages of members, 119 of those are members with no posts. There are 204 out of those 279 pages that are posters with two or less posts. So I'm really not sure what you can do about it.

Yeah that's the problem with forcing guests to register. They may register because they have to, or they may think "I'm not going to register when I don't even know if they have any posts or members!" So I turned that feature off after advice from another forum.

The one thing I have noticed about most forums is their membership count is really misleading.  The actual number of those members who actively post is usually rather slim comparatively.  I'm not sure how to change that since there are many people who don't like to express their opinions online but do enjoy reading everyone else's.

What this forum has that is very active is a "off topic" section.  That helps to bring people in to post that may not actively post their opinions on the episode threads but do in fact watch the show.  

Not sure if this helps but ...

That is very true Kasey. I want to put an off topic section on my site for that very reason. If you count up the posts on this forum for example, nearly 50% of the posts have nothing to do with TBBT. It's something that a forum offers that shouldn't be overlooked :)

Another thing you might want to think about.

This site wasn't a huge hit when it started either.

For example it took over 5 years for the number reply to reach it's first 1,000.

If you check out the daily Birthdays you'll find that MOST Birthdays are from members with just a few if any posts AND there is the fact that most of the saily Birthdays are from members that haven't posted in years.

Just give it time !!

There's a thread here called 'New Sheldon and Penny Website' under 'The Show' which gives details of 'ShennyHQ' which was a site set up by a group of marvellous people after this forum became a Spiral of Silence where Shenny was concerned.

I recommend talking to them as they've just launched their site successfully, plus any excuse to talk to Count Wally should be used (he's brilliant)!