The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

General Chat Thread

Oh, I just love Steve Martin. Always have.

Speaking of the title of the show, did they really have to give it that name? My family are extremely extremely conservative Christians (they make Mary Cooper look like a heathen) and I can't tell them I watch the show or they'll start trying to talk religion with me.

Those are the types of people whom I tell to keep their religious mumbo-jumbo to themselves. ;)

Sent from Las Vegas on my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Those are the types of people whom I tell to keep their religious mumbo-jumbo to themselves. ;)

Sent from Las Vegas on my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

I agree but it's tough when it's family and you're trying to get along.  I just usually change the subject immediately.  Some of them take the hint, others don't.

Do you mean did they have to name the show TBBT?  I have no idea if they ever considered other names.  That would be a question for TPTB.

The show's working title was "Lenny, Penny and Kenny". On the S1 DVD bonus feature, Bill Prady mentions that he wasn't fond of TBBT as the title, perhaps because of the "cheap joke" in the title (Chuck Lorre's words). I don't think any other alternate titles are known about.

• Like 1

The show's working title was "Lenny, Penny and Kenny". On the S1 DVD bonus feature, Bill Prady mentions that he wasn't fond of TBBT as the title, perhaps because of the "cheap joke" in the title (Chuck Lorre's words). I don't think any other alternate titles are known about.

That's awful!  It sounds like Donald Duck's nephews.  If that was the alternative, I can live with the title TBBT.

• Like 1

Oh, I just love Steve Martin. Always have.

Speaking of the title of the show, did they really have to give it that name? My family are extremely extremely conservative Christians (they make Mary Cooper look like a heathen) and I can't tell them I watch the show or they'll start trying to talk religion with me.

That's awful. My dad was a Methodist lay preacher and he had a hearty respect for science. It never impacted his belief, but he understood the bible as a book of its time. The history of the rise of fundamentalism is interesting. It no way has the same hold on the population in my country. I blame home schooling. LOL. Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

Well I'm definitely glad they didn't go with that.

That's awful. My dad was a Methodist lay preacher and he had a hearty respect for science. It never impacted his belief, but he understood the bible as a book of its time. The history of the rise of fundamentalism is interesting. It no way has the same hold on the population in my country. I blame home schooling. LOL.

As a fundamentalist Christian, and since this is a general chat area, my opinion is that there really was a big bang ... just that God was the One who created it.  I simply can't believe God said let there be the heavens and the earth and the puff it was there.  I kinda think God would do it with a big bang...

• Like 1

As a fundamentalist Christian, and since this is a general chat area, my opinion is that there really was a big bang ... just that God was the One who created it.  I simply can't believe God said let there be the heavens and the earth and the puff it was there.  I kinda think God would do it with a big bang...

Yeah, I've never thought the two were in conflict, just different ways of describing the same thing.

Some of my favorite scenes are when Sheldon and his mother banter about religion.  Episode 3.01 (Sheldon goes to TX because the guys interfered with his north pole data) was one of the first ones I watched.  The conversation between Sheldon and Mary in that episode hooked me on the show.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've never thought the two were in conflict, just different ways of describing the same thing.

Some of my favorite scenes are when Sheldon and his mother banter about religion.  Episode 3.01 (Sheldon goes to TX because the guys interfered with his north pole data) was one of the first ones I watched.  The conversation between Sheldon and Mary in that episode hooked me on the show.

When they discuss MRSA, drug resistance and the theory of evolution is where it will get interesting. As to what happened before we can see, can't model or can't reproduce in LHC, who knows. But anyway I'm with Jimmy Carter on many things. There is a lot to take away and a lot to leave behind. The trick is to be thoughtful. And I may want to revisit the USA so I should stay quieter. They already took my fingerprints. LOL.

• Like 4

When they discuss MRSA, drug resistance and the theory of evolution is where it will get interesting. As to what happened before we can see, can't model or can't reproduce in LHC, who knows. But anyway I'm with Jimmy Carter on many things. There is a lot to take away and a lot to leave behind. The trick is to be thoughtful. And I may want to revisit the USA so I should stay quieter. They already took my fingerprints. LOL.

And there are some people here that know WHO you are too...

• Like 2

You know, as bad as "Lenny, Penny, and Kenny" is, my grandparents actually named their children Ronnie, Connie, and Bonnie (my mom).  It gets worse.  The latter two are identical twins with middle names Lou and Sue.  My grandparents apparently had a cruel streak, lol.

Reading material: All the Iain M Banks books, then the Peter F. Hamilton books. Nice big, fat SF stories. And Tracks, by Robyn Davidson - a true story about a women of independent mind, and her camels. :)

• Like 1

Do you guys remember when Beverly kissed Sheldon?! BECAUSE THAT WAS THE BEST.

Do you guys remember when Beverly kissed Sheldon?! BECAUSE THAT WAS THE BEST.

Oh, I love Beverly and that was funny, but my favorite Sheldon/Bev scene was when they sang karaoke together.

Oh, I love Beverly and that was funny, but my favorite Sheldon/Bev scene was when they sang karaoke together.

Omg I could die laughing with this scene...Every.Freaking.Time. This and the one when Sheldon and Amy dance.

• Like 1

Oh my Gandhi. That was awkwardly perfect. And before, when he was convincing her to do it: "I was hesitant the first time I tried it, but I experienced an unanticipated and remarkable release of endorphins. It's quite satisfying." ASDFGHJKL. Just brilliant.

• Like 2

OK, then...your top 3 funniest moments of the series?

Just off the top of my head, I'm gonna say 1. Sheldon popping out of the couch saying "Bazinga, punk, now we're even!", 2. Howard ripping his shirt off after winning the physics bowl, 3. the science panel in Love Car Displacement.

• Like 3

Just off the top of my head, I'm gonna say 1. Sheldon popping out of the couch saying "Bazinga, punk, now we're even!", 2. Howard ripping his shirt off after winning the physics bowl, 3. the science panel in Love Car Displacement.

1. "Still can't talk to me?" 2. "I was working with luminous fish, and I thought - hey , loom" 3. " Look at that. Some day, we will tell future generations that dating used to be hard."

• Like 1

1. "Still can't talk to me?" 2. "I was working with luminous fish, and I thought - hey , loom" 3. " Look at that. Some day, we will tell future generations that dating used to be hard."

I love the luminous fish episode, the entire thing, but especially when they walk in and Sheldon is on the loom. 

If we're talking favorite lines, the one from last season is a classic:  "I don't know if women in general have been discouraged from pursuing the sciences, but...it's clear you young women here today have been."

• Like 3

I can't make a final decision without re-watching the whole series. But I'll always know which moment hit me the hardest.

It's when Howard looks at Raj, horrified, and asks:

"Good God, what have we done?"

EDIT: OH!! And in the Physics Bowl episode, when Sheldon's holding the Batman cookie jar and storming off to his room --

"One more thing. Leonard?"

"Yes?"

"IT'S ON, BITCH."

Edited by Puppy Tornado
  • Like 2

What about when Sheldon stays up all night rewriting the Penny specific section of the roommate agreement in the Boyfriend Complexity

"Do you even think about other People Leonard?!"

"DO YOU?!!"

Oh! And also Howard after survival training

"I ate a butterfly!"

Simon was amazing in that scene!

Edited by LalaLogan
  • Like 2

1) from my fsvourite episode, herb garden when shamy are discussing the experiment, pure brilliance and passion, something I wanna see again from them

2) lord of the rings episode, when Sheldon and Leonard were rolling around the bed fighting over the ring combined with Penny's dumb guys comment

3) again combined Sheldon training penny with chocolates and then squirting Leonard with water

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 2

Alright, alright...

9ysejepy.jpg

THEEEEEEEEEERE'S

Antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium,

And hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium

And nickel, neodymium, neptunium, germanium,

And iron, americium, ruthenium, uranium!

"Just the Asians!"

Edited by Sergeant Fuzzyboots
  • Like 3

Alright, alright...

9ysejepy.jpg

THEEEEEEEEEERE'S

Antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium,

And hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium

And nickel, neodymium, neptunium, germanium,

And iron, americium, ruthenium, uranium!

"Just the Asians!"

How about we get the original guy:

• Like 4