The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

General Chat Thread

I love Tom Lehrer!  I don't know how his mouth can even move that fast.

Have you ever heard his song about Lobachevski?  I'm taking a non-Euclidean geometry class this semester (Lobachevski was one of the fathers of non-Euclidean geometry) and this song goes through my head pretty much non-stop.

I love Tom Lehrer!  I don't know how his mouth can even move that fast.

Have you ever heard his song about Lobachevski?  I'm taking a non-Euclidean geometry class this semester (Lobachevski was one of the fathers of non-Euclidean geometry) and this song goes through my head pretty much non-stop.

You covering manifolds? Riemann manifolds in particular? They are the basis for General Relativity.

You covering manifolds? Riemann manifolds in particular? They are the basis for General Relativity.

No, the prof is stuck on the Poincare disk model and the Poincare upper half-plane model for hyperbolic geometry.  BTW, this is my last class and I'll be ABD in 9 days after the exam.  In the meantime, I'm defending my dissertation proposal this Wednesday.  It's very exciting but scary.

• Like 1

No, the prof is stuck on the Poincare disk model and the Poincare upper half-plane model for hyperbolic geometry.  BTW, this is my last class and I'll be ABD in 9 days after the exam.  In the meantime, I'm defending my dissertation proposal this Wednesday.  It's very exciting but scary.

I never had to go through that. Most of my math past Diffy Qs was self study, with some help by a retired prof. All of my GR and Quantum stuff was with the retired prof. Usually a relaxed visit, coffee, discussion 2-3 hours, a couple of time a week.

I was watching The Shiny Trinket Maneuver earlier today and this never fails to make me laugh:

Sheldon: Amy had a fight. I was being perfectly reasonable. I’m gonna have a whiskey. Do you want anything?

Leonard: No, I can’t. I’m playing Grand Theft Auto later.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot about "I ate a butterfly!"  The whole series of video calls between Howard and Bernadette--both during training and from the space station--were brilliant.

• Like 2

I totally read "Gerard chat thread"

Well... now we know what's on your mind .....Just kidding!

I agree but it's tough when it's family and you're trying to get along.  I just usually change the subject immediately.  Some of them take the hint, others don't.

But you have a right to think differently , don't you? And...inasmuch as you are trying to get along with them , shouldn't they try to get along with you ?  A great way of doing that would be them respecting your views as well.

Tonight in stats class, I listened to a guy sitting behind me tell a story about how he had to go to the emergency room because of a toy light saber accident, and how embarrassed he was to trying to explain a light saber to the staff.   I laughed to myself because I kept thinking of the tbbt guys.  I just love a good nerd emergency room story.  :p

• Like 1

Well... now we know what's on your mind .....Just kidding!

But you have a right to think differently , don't you? And...inasmuch as you are trying to get along with them , shouldn't they try to get along with you ?  A great way of doing that would be them respecting your views as well.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Unfortunately, some of my family doesn't see it that way.  The one thing I won't keep quiet about, though, is when they make negative comments about LGBTQ people.  All but one of them respect my wishes that they not talk that way around me.     

Tonight in stats class, I listened to a guy sitting behind me tell a story about how he had to go to the emergency room because of a toy light saber accident, and how embarrassed he was to trying to explain a light saber to the staff.   I laughed to myself because I kept thinking of the tbbt guys.  I just love a good nerd emergency room story.  :p

I realize this wasn't the point of your post, but you're taking a stats class?  I teach stats.

• Like 1

Well, this is a theatre nerd story, but anyway.   We were doing Romeo and Juliet and we had to run the sword fights every night, and hour and a half before the show, just to make sure we had our fight choreography down.  One night, one guy zigged, when he should have zagged, and took the rapier through his arm.  We took him to the emergency room and the nurses all gather around, they had never seen a sword wound before.  They were all disappointed, as it wasn't all that serious.  He got sewn up and made it back for the show.

I realize this wasn't the point of your post, but you're taking a stats class?  I teach stats.

Speaking of stats, you might enjoy looking around this blog

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Unfortunately, some of my family doesn't see it that way.  The one thing I won't keep quiet about, though, is when they make negative comments about LGBTQ people.  All but one of them respect my wishes that they not talk that way around me.     

Hats off to you!!  :good:   Taking Psych Stats.  Tonight was my last class, then final next week. Praise the Lord!  

I don't understand stats to save my life.  I told my tutor, it's like there is a Stats Mafia, you're either in and know the language, or you're out and screwed.  I'm the latter. :bye:    It wasn't too bad, my tutor was a life-saver and helped me understand it better.

Edited by sheldorslady

The stats class for my criminology degree was the worst.  Guess its nice to know it's universally bad, and it wasn't just me *lol*

• Like 1

I've heard stats is hell.  I wanted to double major in theatre and psychology, but as soon as I was told I'd have to take stats I gave up on psychology.  I'm horrible at math.

Yeah you know its bad when the professor bluntly tells the class on the first day that he expects at least 50% of us will fail the class and its ok, that's normal.  That's so motivating right there *lol*

I wrote that.

Now I get your name!  Tensor!  I don't get it, but okay.

Heheheheh, yep.  I picked Tensor for a science forum,  back when I was studying General Relativity and Differential Geometry. 

• Like 2

Rick, I'll look around that website after my big presentation tomorrow.  I'm defending my dissertation proposal in the morning, yikes!

For the stats people, there's no reason it has to be that way.  The doc degree I'm working on is math education, and I'm focusing my research in statistics education.  A decent stats teacher can break it down so that any student who puts the effort in should be able to pass.

Rick, I'll look around that website after my big presentation tomorrow.  I'm defending my dissertation proposal in the morning, yikes!

Best of luck on that. The guy that writes that put a book out for people who don't like stats.

Rick, I'll look around that website after my big presentation tomorrow. I'm defending my dissertation proposal in the morning, yikes!

For the stats people, there's no reason it has to be that way. The doc degree I'm working on is math education, and I'm focusing my research in statistics education. A decent stats teacher can break it down so that any student who puts the effort in should be able to pass.

Ok, so what's the minimum group size we need to ensure at least one set of matching birthdays? :) And best wishes for your dissertation.

Ok, so what's the minimum group size we need to ensure at least one set of matching birthdays? :) And best wishes for your dissertation.

The minimum to ensure it, is 366 or 367 (depending on the year, the following is based on a normal 365 day year). While you need to have 366 people to guarantee there is a set of matching birthdays, to get a 50% chance, you need 23 people. For a 95% chance you need 47 people and to get to a 99% chance, you need 58 people.