The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

General Chat Thread

Hah, 99% chance with 58 people is one astounding number. Unless these are lies, damned lies and NOT statistics. :)

thank you Nate Silver.

Yeah, no. I'm not even a puny human compared to the wizard that is Nate Silver.

• Like 1

Committee accepted my dissertation proposal.  Now I can start on all that stuff I've been neglecting.  Except TBBT.  I never neglected TBBT:)

• Like 3

Committee accepted my dissertation proposal.  Now I can start on all that stuff I've been neglecting.  Except TBBT.  I never neglected TBBT:)

Gongrats. That is awesome. Just make sure you don't neglect TBBT.

• Like 1

The minimum to ensure it, is 366 or 367 (depending on the year, the following is based on a normal 365 day year). While you need to have 366 people to guarantee there is a set of matching birthdays, to get a 50% chance, you need 23 people. For a 95% chance you need 47 people and to get to a 99% chance, you need 58 people.

Woah, that's fascinating! How did you do that?

Woah, that's fascinating! How did you do that?

I don't know their source, but it's in a book called Mathematics for the Millions that my mom did a book report on way back in 1960! And yes, I come from a long line of geeks. :)

I don't know their source, but it's in a book called Mathematics for the Millions that my mom did a book report on way back in 1960! And yes, I come from a long line of geeks. :)

We love geeks here.

• Like 1

Not sure how much stats or probability you've had, but lets do the the problem for 23 people. With 23 people there are 253 combinations of 1 or more matches. (the calculation for the combination (with the numbers were using is ((23 x 22)/2) (If you want the details, look up combinations ). Now, the chance of two people NOT having the same birthday is 1-(1/365)=364/365(this is about 99.7%) which seem correct, there is an ALMOST 100% chance of not having the same birthday.

That means the chance of two people having the same birthday is 0.3% (100-99.7) But we have 23 people, and with 23 people, there are 253 different ways to match up the people. To find the percentage, we have to raise the two person percentage, to the 253 power 1-(1/365)=(364/365)253. This gives us a percentage of NOT having the same birthday of 49.95%, which if you subtract from 100%, gives us 50.05%. The 50% I gave for 23 people.

• Like 3

That's so cool! You did a great job of explaining everything too. Thanks :)

Okay, so I am really looking to get tickets for the taping of the season 8 premiere. Is there any way to go about it so I could be guaranteed tickets or is it usually stand-by only? I am willing to pay.

Edited by certifiedotakuandfangirl

Okay, so I am really looking to get tickets for the taping of the season 8 premiere. Is there any way to go about it so I could be guaranteed tickets or is it usually stand-by only? I am willing to pay.

This page has tips for getting tickets. It was written by someone who basically did, season four and five taping reports.

• Like 2

When will they post the date the premiere will be taped?  Sadly, I put the # of weeks (only every 4th week) til the taping on my calendar, but I had to guess whether it would be Aug 12 or Aug 19.  This is a sad commentary on my life, lol.

When will they post the date the premiere will be taped?  Sadly, I put the # of weeks (only every 4th week) til the taping on my calendar, but I had to guess whether it would be Aug 12 or Aug 19.  This is a sad commentary on my life, lol.

In May or June if I recall correctly. 

• Like 1

A bit random but I think it's fun. I took a test named ''Which fictional world do you belong in'' and I got Star Trek. I have not a clue about Star Trek but that was the description I don't know if it's accurate

You love and hate all that technology has done for the world. You love to discover the unknown even if that means facing a few dangers along the way. You are not the biggest fan of the color red. You tend to find yourself surrounded be secrets and it's hard for you to fully trust anyone. While you feel knowledge is very important, you feel bravery is more.

Here is the link to the test http://www.playbuzz.com/shannon10/which-fictional-world-do-you-belong-in  Sorry if that's not Shamy related but I thought you'd appreciate it :)

@Cecilia, you can talk about anything you want in this thread.

For example, what is everyone doing to celebrate Star Wars day?  I'm only planning to listen to Weird al Yankovic's song about Episode 1.

You mean "The Saga Begins"?  Sounds like a plan. Got to listen to WA's "Yoda" too.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

@Cecilia, you can talk about anything you want in this thread.

For example, what is everyone doing to celebrate Star Wars day? I'm only planning to listen to Weird al Yankovic's song about Episode 1.

Yeah you're right!! Originally it was in another thread but I moved it and I just copied/pasted it. At first I was left looking at your post thinking why would you say that to me then I realized I forgot to edit it sorry :p Edited by Cecilia

Odd, I was atempting to watch the SW day episode again but this time using VOD from my cable provideer. It is well over 24 hours ince air time and the episode is not available yet. Lucky I saw it Thursday.

Everyone should note that our kids and future generations will never see the original Star Wars. HAN SHOT FIRST! Lol.

Just one of those things that confused me greatly in the revised DVD before I read about it on line. The sort of hey I don't remember it happening like that feeling.  The other big one was the name at the beginning. I was thinking I don't remember it being called episode 4.

• Like 2

Was anyone else bummed out that they changed the music (Yub Nub) at the end of Return of the Jedi?   :umbrage:

No. ROTJ was childish enough as it is; you can see its DNA in the prequels. The Ewok song made me cringe the first time I heard it in 1983, so I was very glad to hear Williams' new music when the Special Edition came out. IMHO it fits in well enough with the Ewok celebration while being more grand, as befitting the victorious end of a long story.

Just one of those things that confused me greatly in the revised DVD before I read about it on line. The sort of hey I don't remember it happening like that feeling.  The other big one was the name at the beginning. I was thinking I don't remember it being called episode 4.

It's always been episode 4 but I don't know anyone that calls it that.  I've always called it SW and refuse to refer to it, TESB or ROTJ as anything other than what they were known as when I saw them in the theatre.

Everyone should note that our kids and future generations will never see the original Star Wars. HAN SHOT FIRST! Lol.

They do in my house!  I refuse to show the re-done ones and abhor the new crap they put out called episodes 1-3.

It's always been episode 4 but I don't know anyone that calls it that.  I've always called it SW and refuse to refer to it, TESB or ROTJ as anything other than what they were known as when I saw them in the theatre.

They do in my house!  I refuse to show the re-done ones and abhor the new crap they put out called episodes 1-3.

I forget the exact line, but in an older episode, Sheldon is trying to get the others to hurry up and start watching a Star Wars DVD and complains that if they don't start soon George Lucas is going to change it again.

Wil Wheaton was live tweeting while watching Star Wars today, pretty funny commentary.

My daughter and I had to explain May the Fourth Be With you to my husband AGAIN this year.

• Like 1

I forget the exact line, but in an older episode, Sheldon is trying to get the others to hurry up and start watching a Star Wars DVD and complains that if they don't start soon George Lucas is going to change it again.

Wil Wheaton was live tweeting while watching Star Wars today, pretty funny commentary.

My daughter and I had to explain May the Fourth Be With you to my husband AGAIN this year.

It was in The Ornithophobia Diffusion.  If I'm not mistaken, Sheldon was holding up the viewing because he was obsessing about the bird.  That was a good line.  I've quoted that line to co-workers a couple of times.

No, it was just Star Wars in 1977.

see http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-one.html

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1