Season 8 Theories

Please no, they finally have a chance to "get rid" of him once and for all.

Why would they want to get rid of Stuart? Maybe the insurance money will help him make it a little nicer and he'll be able to make a little more money. Who knows.

But having the store burn was primarily so that Sheldon's last chance for refuge from all the pressure wouldn't be there for him. Other than that, there's no reason to take it away.

• Like 2

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are my predictions!   I think again the first episode Sheldon will not be back. I think we may see some odd interactions with people/places that he has gone. We find out where he has gone and t

I would like a two-part episode, similar to how they did it this year.   First episode, shows the hell Sheldon endured throughout his 'journey', however it long it may be.   Second episode, he com

I agree with this.  I think bringing it up in the finale was the final time.  Amy realizes now that she needs to back off and not ask anymore.  I'm sure she knows that if and when he's ready, he'll co

Yeah the Comic Book store is a pivotal part of the show, like Central Perk is to Friends, Mclarens is to Himym.Even though they dont all hang out their, the guys do maybe if/when Comic Book store is re opened, maybe they could expand and add a coffee house, one thing thats missing now the CheeseCake factory is gone, they dont really have

a place to hang out as a group other then 4A.

Although theyre growing up, they are not that old,

so i see no reason why they would just get rid of

the CBS permenantly. Stuarts a part of the show,

like too see him become more then just a

recurring role in the show. Maybe Penny could get a job at a pub and the guys and girls start hanging their, Sheldon has a health inspection first tho haha and checks the menu, approves and theirs the new hangout, yep i kno ppl are gonna hate that concept but nice new dynamic for the show, they may have to cast tho.

Edited by 3ku11

I'd like the comic book store to stay, just because they are "growing up" doesn't mean they can't have fun

I know a man in his 50's who recently converted his attic into s gigantic train track set for his own personal use

Agree. Don't take away their geekiness completely. Then it will just become a Friends knockoff! Star Wars day and the Comicon episode prove they still have that in them and they should. Nerdvana still exists in 4A ( and might be moving into a second museum in 4B) and the comic book store is an important place to keep that in their lives. Just because they all have girlfriends doesn't mean they have to change who they are. All the girls fell in love with these guys knowing who they are. Heck I'm nearing 50 and still read comic books, watch cartoons and use my kids as an excuse to watch every Marvel and DC movie that comes out. It doesn't stop me from being a respected educator just because I organised a Scavenger hunt for my grade 6 kids in the city and made them meet me at the biggest comic book store in town!

The last thing I want from Season 8 is to make the guys 'grow up' and change their nerd/geek character. That's what we all started watching the show for wasn't it? For me, Comic Book store reborn with Mrs Wolowitz as silent partner paving the way for a more successful second coming for Stuart!

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 1

Maybe my post wasn't clear. I don't mind the CBS at all, I just don't like the character Stuart, although he became more likeable with Debbie in the final.

So no, I don't want to take their geekiness, on the contrary.

I'm not sure how long they will "keep" Sheldon away.  I do think the purpose is to mature him somewhat.  I think he has to learn to live on his own so that he needs no replacement for Leonard when he moves in with Penny.  I really do not want Amy to be a substitute for Leonard in Sheldon's life.  I really want him to want her as a roommate be cause he loves her, not need her as a caretaker.

• Like 5

I'm not sure how long they will "keep" Sheldon away. I do think the purpose is to mature him somewhat. I think he has to learn to live on his own so that he needs no replacement for Leonard when he moves in with Penny. I really do not want Amy to be a substitute for Leonard in Sheldon's life. I really want him to want her as a roommate be cause he loves her, not need her as a caretaker.

amen to that. If and when he asks her to move in, I want him to be an independent grown man, not the dependant man child he is now. Amy and Sheldon both deserve that level of relationship maturity.
  • Like 3

I'd like the comic book store to stay, just because they are "growing up" doesn't mean they can't have fun

I know a man in his 50's who recently converted his attic into s gigantic train track set for his own personal use

This is a completely sensible idea and exactly what Sheldon could do with Leonard's room if Leonard moves across the hall. n-gauge locos and rolling stock are not cheap, and hence are not kids toys. However I don't think Sheldon could manage the build. He'd have to subcontract the construction to Howard, who knows how to use a soldering iron. But it could be a highlight for S8. Raj could help with the catering for the working bee. He could make scones.

This also means Sheldon has an absolutely sensible and irrefutably good reason for not swapping flats with Penny and Leonard or having a wasted room in his apartment. Well played.

• Like 1

Yeah its important to maintain the nerdvanna and overall geekiness of the show, but its also best to remember they are not out of college anymore, they are not "geeks" in the sense it defines the entire identity. Ive never really seen Leonard for instance as a "nerd". You could say ppl on the backdrop of geek culture. But like all ppl do they grow, you could say its now Friends for nerds, but that would be stereotyping, all ranges of ppl watch this show. Its clearly more relationship and career centric show now, that the guys have become socially aware and are in relationships. But its best to remembet BBT aint no Rom Com never has been, never well be. Look at Friends or even Himym very relationship driven shows, shows about cohesion. Where as BBT is a very platonic driven show, show about collision. Your now seeing a show more like Friends and Himym, while in S7 still maintaining some form of Science and Geekiness. I think in S8 you well still see the same balance of romance and science you saw in S7. And i think the two well merge when it comes to the relationships ala Holocast Excitation S6 (i gotta stop using that as a point of reference haha). But i also hope they dont get too serious, and make them completley grow out of their normal disposisitions, the nerdvanna and overall geekiness have always made this show one of the most unique sitcoms of all time. I mean most sitcoms have one nerd per average, this show is all about nerds. So while maintaining character growth, also working on when Sheldon gets back, not seeing Amy as a replacement for Leonard ala taking up a caretaker role in his life. But having the required foresight to realize Amy deserves more then that, and make room for her in his life, and not rush her in 4A. Also still incorporate nerdanna and keep geek culture still centric to the show, thsts why i hope CBS is re opened.

Agree. Don't take away their geekiness completely. Then it will just become a Friends knockoff! Star Wars day and the Comicon episode prove they still have that in them and they should. Nerdvana still exists in 4A ( and might be moving into a second museum in 4B) and the comic book store is an important place to keep that in their lives. Just because they all have girlfriends doesn't mean they have to change who they are. All the girls fell in love with these guys knowing who they are. Heck I'm nearing 50 and still read comic books, watch cartoons and use my kids as an excuse to watch every Marvel and DC movie that comes out. It doesn't stop me from being a respected educator just because I organised a Scavenger hunt for my grade 6 kids in the city and made them meet me at the biggest comic book store in town!

The last thing I want from Season 8 is to make the guys 'grow up' and change their nerd/geek character. That's what we all started watching the show for wasn't it? For me, Comic Book store reborn with Mrs Wolowitz as silent partner paving the way for a more successful second coming for Stuart!

Debbie + Stewie = Dewie. Hmmm.

• Like 1

Eh, I got some time to kill. :boredom:

2. Talk is cheap, a car is not. I believe the motto is "Deeds, not words." And you conveniently ignore the scene where Sheldon does nothing for Penny with a real crisis because it's interfering with his gaming.

3. But he didn't mean it. That's just your self-serving interpretation

4. Many people have considered cheating. Doesn't make them evil, just human. And the point is, Leonard didn't go through with it because he's not that kind of guy. But Priya is that kind of girl, apparently.

4.2. Everybody on the show has done this at one point or another, including the one that supposedly doesn't "get" sarcasm. Guess they're all passive aggressive. By the way, are you a psychologist? If no, then why should we value your opinion on this over that of anyone else.

5. If you look up "hyperbole" in the dictionary, this paragraph will appear as the definition.

6 and 7. The bro code? Seriously? This isn't Jersey Shore. The bro code exists only in the infantile minds of misogynist, muscle-bound morons who think women are property. Leonard, Priya and Stephanie are all intelligent adults and can choose for themselves who the want a relationship with.

8. They went on the expedition because Sheldon is their friend. They saved the original data and refrained from causing him bodily harm for the same reason. Sheldon still jumped the gun.

8.2. Sheldon has been disparaging about L/P's relationship many times.

9. If it's on the internet, it ain't a secret. She didn't seem particularly bothered about people knowing about it in season 7.

10. Point is, they all pitched in. And Leonard was trying to help her. You make it sound like he intentionally sabotaged the business. Your last sentence is mere speculation with no basis.

11. Accidentally? So she didn't mean it or all the I love you's since then? He wanted her to reciprocate the I love you because he loves her and wants to know that she loves him too. What an evil, evil man!

12. I have an IQ somewhat north of 140. A number of my friends do not. I do not call them stupid to their faces, nor behind their backs. Sheldon has no excuse for being an asshole.

12.2. He hasn't implied it, but expressed it explicitly on multiple occasions, as well as other insults.

12.3. An exaggeration. See my hyperbole comment earlier on.

edited for a silly spelling error

2. It's piss poor writing plain and simple. Sheldon and Leonard did 180 near instantly, from Sheldon blindly supporting his friend and Leonard tentatively supporting her.

To Leonard super support and Sheldon piss poor friend. I won't defend Sheldon I can't what he did and said was being a straight up ass, and while it may fit his character (which BTW even that's a somewhat stretch) it didn't fit some of the established moments from the BBT. And that goes double for Leonard, he couldn't blindly have faith in Penny and that's all it comes down to.

3. He agreed with Penny that EVERYTHING he did was for sex! plain and simple! You can interpret it one way, but Leonard did everything for sex.

4. He didn't consider cheating, he was in her appartment making out with her. Considering is fine, had he went to apartment DOOR, stared at it for a couple seconds, then walked away. FINE, but going into the apartment and making out with the women NOT fine. Yes Priya was much worse. But once again that's the writers SHIELDING Leonard from ever having to own up to his mistakes.

4.2 Yes you're right in a way they all are. But Leonard's humour is based around being passive agressive. Ex Penny being unintelligent, Sheldon being socially stunted, Howard creepiness.

5. It maybe I hyperbole, but Loenard was extremely full of himself, and was preening himself. The simple fact is Leonard should never have had that moment of pride, rather worry. He has a committed girlfriend,Moho he says he loves. But one a second women rolls up, and is attracted to him, he puffs up his chest and is like "yep" his reaction is akin to a sterotypical jock. Not the unassuming nerd.

6.7. I didn't think I had to say this but apparently I do. When I say bro code, I don't me the hyper exaggerated form we see in popular media. But rather a, treat your friends with a modicum of self control, and respect code. How hard is it. To not ask out your friends sister till their ok with it, or not to go after a girl you friends trying go out with. Treat the people who have your back with some respect, because those are the people who when the chips are down, are going to help you.

8. They KNOW Sheldon, they know he's annoying and crazy. Howard made multiple jokes about how idiotic it was to go to the Arctic with Sheldon, hell the last joke of the episode was Howard building a cross bow to kill Sheldon. And know their friendship with Sheldon wasn't the reason they went Leonard says their reason ("you can be part of the team to prove string theory"). They chose to go they chose to lock themselves in a room with Sheldon.

So guess what, DO your job, don't screw around with and electric can opener. You made your choice live with it.

8.1. Yes Sheldon made a huge mistake of sending out the string theory letter. Before doing the proper calculations, but still his mistake wouldn't have happened had Leonard Howard and Raj not screwed up his calculations. As for the inevitable "they kept his data" that data is worthless. Leonard Howard and raj tainted the experiment. Do you search for the good meat in a bad steak, no you toss the steak and find a good one.

8.2 Exactly but he's NEVER actively tried to destroy Leonard and Penny's relationship. In fact like I pointed out he's done his fair share to help their relationship. A relationship he assumes is doomed to fail.

9. It took 7 seasons to be brought up. So clearly she is not proud, nor does she acknowledge it. And once again, this isn't about the nude scene. It's about the fact that Leonard showed a boat full of people the scene, had he showed them pictures of her fine. But not a nude scene from a movie she didn't acknowledge for YEARS. You don't do that to somebody you,love.

10. To not disable a button after getting an overnight delivery for a thousand, makes me question whether or not he did plan Penny's failure. I've worked on web sites, and it's pretty simple to disable buttons.

11. Yeah it was and accident, she does love him, but the I love you is an accident.

11.2. You just don't force I love you. You don't have to make condescending remarks about cheese fries. Or pretty much imply for her, and outright say "tell me you love me" that was clingy and needy.

12. Did you go college at 11, did you become a visiting professor at 15. Sheldon is extremely socially broken, his mother is overly religious, it's implied his dad was an alcoholic, his family is extremely unintelligent. He like Leonard didn't have to proper support structure, but unlike Leonard, who began to feel like he was the weak link in his family (the birth of his inferiority complex). Sheldon began to tell himself that he's the smartest person in the world, and all his early achievements bolstered that belief. Combine that with his complete and utter lack of interaction as a child ( the most developmental point in a persons life) and what you get is man who can't admit that he's wrong, and doesn't understand what is social faux pas. What he can and can't say

12.2. He's called everybody stupid and doesn't mean anything by it. Hell he even say it "I cry be cause the world is stupid and that makes me sad.

12.3. Actually no, he laughed in her face. Made fun of her beliefs, and then said in a sarcastic tone, after she defended her belief "did your psychic tell you that to"

The scene was topless not nude .watch S7-1. Even penny states it was topless. No nude scenes.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

sorry I haven't watched it since it aired. Either way topless or not the fact remains that Leonard shouldn't have shown the people on the boat iit

2. It's piss poor writing plain and simple. Sheldon and Leonard did 180 near instantly, from Sheldon blindly supporting his friend and Leonard tentatively supporting her.

To Leonard super support and Sheldon piss poor friend. I won't defend Sheldon I can't what he did and said was being a straight up ass, and while it may fit his character (which BTW even that's a somewhat stretch) it didn't fit some of the established moments from the BBT. And that goes double for Leonard, he couldn't blindly have faith in Penny and that's all it comes down to.

3. He agreed with Penny that EVERYTHING he did was for sex! plain and simple! You can interpret it one way, but Leonard did everything for sex.

4. He didn't consider cheating, he was in her appartment making out with her. Considering is fine, had he went to apartment DOOR, stared at it for a couple seconds, then walked away. FINE, but going into the apartment and making out with the women NOT fine. Yes Priya was much worse. But once again that's the writers SHIELDING Leonard from ever having to own up to his mistakes.

4.2 Yes you're right in a way they all are. But Leonard's humour is based around being passive agressive. Ex Penny being unintelligent, Sheldon being socially stunted, Howard creepiness.

5. It maybe I hyperbole, but Loenard was extremely full of himself, and was preening himself. The simple fact is Leonard should never have had that moment of pride, rather worry. He has a committed girlfriend,Moho he says he loves. But one a second women rolls up, and is attracted to him, he puffs up his chest and is like "yep" his reaction is akin to a sterotypical jock. Not the unassuming nerd.

6.7. I didn't think I had to say this but apparently I do. When I say bro code, I don't me the hyper exaggerated form we see in popular media. But rather a, treat your friends with a modicum of self control, and respect code. How hard is it. To not ask out your friends sister till their ok with it, or not to go after a girl you friends trying go out with. Treat the people who have your back with some respect, because those are the people who when the chips are down, are going to help you.

8. They KNOW Sheldon, they know he's annoying and crazy. Howard made multiple jokes about how idiotic it was to go to the Arctic with Sheldon, hell the last joke of the episode was Howard building a cross bow to kill Sheldon. And know their friendship with Sheldon wasn't the reason they went Leonard says their reason ("you can be part of the team to prove string theory"). They chose to go they chose to lock themselves in a room with Sheldon.

So guess what, DO your job, don't screw around with and electric can opener. You made your choice live with it.

8.1. Yes Sheldon made a huge mistake of sending out the string theory letter. Before doing the proper calculations, but still his mistake wouldn't have happened had Leonard Howard and Raj not screwed up his calculations. As for the inevitable "they kept his data" that data is worthless. Leonard Howard and raj tainted the experiment. Do you search for the good meat in a bad steak, no you toss the steak and find a good one.

8.2 Exactly but he's NEVER actively tried to destroy Leonard and Penny's relationship. In fact like I pointed out he's done his fair share to help their relationship. A relationship he assumes is doomed to fail.

9. It took 7 seasons to be brought up. So clearly she is not proud, nor does she acknowledge it. And once again, this isn't about the nude scene. It's about the fact that Leonard showed a boat full of people the scene, had he showed them pictures of her fine. But not a nude scene from a movie she didn't acknowledge for YEARS. You don't do that to somebody you,love.

10. To not disable a button after getting an overnight delivery for a thousand, makes me question whether or not he did plan Penny's failure. I've worked on web sites, and it's pretty simple to disable buttons.

11. Yeah it was and accident, she does love him, but the I love you is an accident.

11.2. You just don't force I love you. You don't have to make condescending remarks about cheese fries. Or pretty much imply for her, and outright say "tell me you love me" that was clingy and needy.

12. Did you go college at 11, did you become a visiting professor at 15. Sheldon is extremely socially broken, his mother is overly religious, it's implied his dad was an alcoholic, his family is extremely unintelligent. He like Leonard didn't have to proper support structure, but unlike Leonard, who began to feel like he was the weak link in his family (the birth of his inferiority complex). Sheldon began to tell himself that he's the smartest person in the world, and all his early achievements bolstered that belief. Combine that with his complete and utter lack of interaction as a child ( the most developmental point in a persons life) and what you get is man who can't admit that he's wrong, and doesn't understand what is social faux pas. What he can and can't say

12.2. He's called everybody stupid and doesn't mean anything by it. Hell he even say it "I cry be cause the world is stupid and that makes me sad.

12.3. Actually no, he laughed in her face. Made fun of her beliefs, and then said in a sarcastic tone, after she defended her belief "did your psychic tell you that to"

So now that you have given us a break down on how leonard is a bad boyfriend to penny. Why don't you enlightened us with your opinion on how Amy is a bad girlfriend to Sheldon. All yours..

• Like 1

So now that you have given us a break down on how leonard is a bad boyfriend to penny. Why don't you enlightened us with your opinion on how Amy is a bad girlfriend to Sheldon. All yours..

I actaully like Amy, she's had one moment I despise (licking shit in penny's apartment, and Sheldon's office) but other then that one moment I find her to be enjoyable

I actaully like Amy, she's had one moment I despise (licking shit in penny's apartment, and Sheldon's office) but other then that one moment I find her to be enjoyable

Really. Just one. find that hard to believe. I could name many but that doesn't make her a bad person just like leonard.

I could respond to all of these points, but I simply don't have the time. So, I'll point out problems with a few of these, your other points have just as many holes in them.

I suggest you go watch it again, if you think Leonard did a 180 instantly. He stated, at the end of "Occupation", that he would have been scared to do something like Penny did and projected those feelings onto Penny as worry about her. But, he also explained to her why he did that, why he couldn't do what she did, and how he was proud of her. He later (in "Friendship Turbulence") pushed her on why she didn't take a paying job, and Penny herself realized that she should have, before he gave her the car. So, I really don't know where you get instantly from.

And Sheldon's reactions were very IC for him. There are multiple instances where he is providing support, as long as he doesn't have to actually do something of substance (Look at the Friendship Contraction and Leoanrd's day)or as long as his support doesn't interrupt what he wants. He more than happily offers moral support in the car, after all, Penny is driving him around. But the minute he would have to interrupt his desires (the game), the support disappears. Fitting in very well what we've seen before.

Yeah, realists tend to not accept things on blind faith, just like Leonard did. Sheldon can afford to have blind faith in Penny, she isn't going to depend on him if something goes wrong. Leonard is worried about her reactions, if things don't go right. A justified worry considering what happened a few episodes later.

He did? Don't you point below, that he laughs at Penny going to a psychic? Do you really think that got him sex? Or telling her she can't have her guitar playing friend stay in her apartment? I somehow don't think they had sex after that. You also fail to mention that the everything for sex thing goes back to season three, that is four years ago now, they've both grown quite a bit. Oh, that's right, you don't like that growth.

How is telling Priya what happened not owning up to it? What he did was flat out wrong. But, saying he didn't own up to it is a big stretch.

So, wait, Leonard pisses you off so much because, as you admit, he shares a trait with everyone else on the show. But this trait, because it is played for humor and exaggerated for Leonard, is your reason for disliking him? Your continued hammering on Leonard being passive aggressive, while ignoring the same trait in everyone else, makes your conclusions rather ridiculous. By your reasoning, you should be angry about all the characters.

So, there is something wrong with his feeling good about it,but doing nothing about it? Even to the point of specifically saying he isn't going to do anything, because he loves Penny. Funny how, just above this, you were bagging on him for running off and cheating. Here, he doesnt think about cheating, specifically states he isn't going to cheat, and that he loves his girlfriend. But, he is so terrible for feeling good that someone finds him attractive? I've got news for you, if someone finds me attractive, even after 35 years of marriage, with me loving my wife, and absolutely no plans to do anything about it, I will and have felt good about it.

Yeah, this was pretty much established as brothers have no right to say anything, back when Missy visited. She punctuated that with her knee. But, this sure sounds as if you're saying a man can control who his sister goes out with, because he does or doesn't approve of someone.

So why aren't you bagging on Sheldon for not doing his job? He was the expedition leader. He is supposed to keep everyone calm, he is supposed ensure working conditions are conducive to getting the job done. He failed to do this. So what if the data was showing your ideas were wrong. DO, your job and don't screw around with the help. You made your choice, live with it, Right? But, this doesn't support your contentions, so we have to ignore this, right?

You have that wrong, they didn't screw up his calculations. His calculations were what they were and predicted monopoles. The data they collected indicated that there were no monopoles. The actual data was negative. The can opener was giving them a false positive, something that any competent scientist would check several times over, before announcing it. On top of that, if Sheldon hadn't sent out the letter, he could have done the data reduction on the actual data, and then done the paper. The can opener data would never have been mentioned.

But again, Sheldon didn't do his job of checking and rechecking the data, before announcing. So where is all your righteous indignation about Sheldon not doing his job?

We get it, you don't like Leonard, but if you going to point out his faults as the reason you dislike him, you better go back and make sure that the other don't have the same faults or aren't doing the same or other very similar things. So far, you haven't done this and it make your conclusions look just silly.

I also notice you haven't given your definition of good character development, good arcs, and good continuity, or why your definitions are the only ones we should use. Or, your comments on the continuity errors of the show you pointed out as having good continuity.

• Like 8

Maybe my post wasn't clear. I don't mind the CBS at all, I just don't like the character Stuart, although he became more likeable with Debbie in the final.

So no, I don't want to take their geekiness, on the contrary.

Awww…I really like Stuart and hope he's not going anywhere. It's too bad they made him into such a sad sack, because he wasn't like that the first few seasons. Maybe his experience taking care of Debbie Wolowitz will give him self-confidence. Plus, I think the actor has great comic timing. Somebody mentioned a while back pairing him with Lucy? Another polarizing character who I kind of liked.

Awww…I really like Stuart and hope he's not going anywhere. It's too bad they made him into such a sad sack, because he wasn't like that the first few seasons. Maybe his experience taking care of Debbie Wolowitz will give him self-confidence. Plus, I think the actor has great comic timing. Somebody mentioned a while back pairing him with Lucy? Another polarizing character who I kind of liked.

I like him too. I mean his character has provided some very funny comic moments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its just selective thinking, your analysis and decinstructing and character assanation of Leonard is just perception and opinion. But acting like Leonard is such a horrible bf, when you ask anyone whos ever watched the show through everything youve listed as to why Leonard is so evil, would most likely say your taking things way too seriousley and out of context, Leonard has always had Pennys best interest in mind. As for psychic and Leonard laugjng lol, ell anyone would laugh. Leonard was not laughing at her for beibg stupid, but being naive. He evrn looked surprised when Penny looked upset. Are we allowed to focus on how bad Penny treated Leonard on Vday S6, which is no different to the whole psychic thing? Or is it all one sided and are we just choosing to focus on the bad sides of one character, and not everything hes done for Penny and especially his roomate Sheldon, if hes ever even remotly acted passive agressuve i dont blame him. As for the Nude tape he showed, so what hes a guy showing off his gf, i would of done the same thing. Penny was not bothered by it so why should anyone else, I mean if Leonard took a nude photo of Penny, or taped her nude fair enough! But his gf was in a movie, and it was a shower scene, he was with his peers and showed her off fair enough!. For all the flaws that Leonard has, i dare say if you did one for the way Sheldon has treated Amy, Sheldon would come off way worser.

Edited by 3ku11

• 3 weeks later...

Really. Just one. find that hard to believe. I could name many but that doesn't make her a bad person just like leonard.

The difference is actaully simple. Amy Sheldon Penny Raj Howard Bernadette. They all may be broken in their own ways, but none of them do things out of simply being spitful/jerk/a-hole. Whereas Leonard does. You don't accidently stab ruin your friends work. You don't accidently snipe your friend,nor date their sister (both of which are easy NOT to do) you don't accidently end up making out with girl. Or showing a video of the girl you say love to a boat full of people, or use your mothers mistreatment to get her to SUBMIT.

Amy does things out of lack of social awareness

Leonard does thing because at his core he's a jerk, trying to make up for the YEARS he spent being bullied.

The difference is actaully simple. Amy Sheldon Penny Raj Howard Bernadette. They all may be broken in their own ways, but none of them do things out of simply being spitful/jerk/a-hole. Whereas Leonard does. You don't accidently stab ruin your friends work. You don't accidently snipe your friend,nor date their sister (both of which are easy NOT to do) you don't accidently end up making out with girl. Or showing a video of the girl you say love to a boat full of people, or use your mothers mistreatment to get her to SUBMIT.

Amy does things out of lack of social awareness

Leonard does thing because at his core he's a jerk, trying to make up for the YEARS he spent being bullied.

And you ignore the things that all the others have done, that indicate they are also jerks. But, you have to ignore it, otherwise your contention about Leonard doesn't make sense, because the others are doing the same the of things. Not to mention you have to ignore all the good things Leonard has done for his friends, because that also ruins your contentions. All of the characters are broke in some way. As a result, they all act like jerks at some point. I can even pinpoint Amy (or any of the others) acting like a jerk, and not in a lack of social awareness way, for you.

• Like 1

I could respond to all of these points, but I simply don't have the time. So, I'll point out problems with a few of these, your other points have just as many holes in them.

I suggest you go watch it again, if you think Leonard did a 180 instantly. He stated, at the end of "Occupation", that he would have been scared to do something like Penny did and projected those feelings onto Penny as worry about her. But, he also explained to her why he did that, why he couldn't do what she did, and how he was proud of her. He later (in "Friendship Turbulence") pushed her on why she didn't take a paying job, and Penny herself realized that she should have, before he gave her the car. So, I really don't know where you get instantly from.

And Sheldon's reactions were very IC for him. There are multiple instances where he is providing support, as long as he doesn't have to actually do something of substance (Look at the Friendship Contraction and Leoanrd's day)or as long as his support doesn't interrupt what he wants. He more than happily offers moral support in the car, after all, Penny is driving him around. But the minute he would have to interrupt his desires (the game), the support disappears. Fitting in very well what we've seen before.

Yeah, realists tend to not accept things on blind faith, just like Leonard did. Sheldon can afford to have blind faith in Penny, she isn't going to depend on him if something goes wrong. Leonard is worried about her reactions, if things don't go right. A justified worry considering what happened a few episodes later.

He did? Don't you point below, that he laughs at Penny going to a psychic? Do you really think that got him sex? Or telling her she can't have her guitar playing friend stay in her apartment? I somehow don't think they had sex after that. You also fail to mention that the everything for sex thing goes back to season three, that is four years ago now, they've both grown quite a bit. Oh, that's right, you don't like that growth.

How is telling Priya what happened not owning up to it? What he did was flat out wrong. But, saying he didn't own up to it is a big stretch.

So, wait, Leonard pisses you off so much because, as you admit, he shares a trait with everyone else on the show. But this trait, because it is played for humor and exaggerated for Leonard, is your reason for disliking him? Your continued hammering on Leonard being passive aggressive, while ignoring the same trait in everyone else, makes your conclusions rather ridiculous. By your reasoning, you should be angry about all the characters.

So, there is something wrong with his feeling good about it,but doing nothing about it? Even to the point of specifically saying he isn't going to do anything, because he loves Penny. Funny how, just above this, you were bagging on him for running off and cheating. Here, he doesnt think about cheating, specifically states he isn't going to cheat, and that he loves his girlfriend. But, he is so terrible for feeling good that someone finds him attractive? I've got news for you, if someone finds me attractive, even after 35 years of marriage, with me loving my wife, and absolutely no plans to do anything about it, I will and have felt good about it.

Yeah, this was pretty much established as brothers have no right to say anything, back when Missy visited. She punctuated that with her knee. But, this sure sounds as if you're saying a man can control who his sister goes out with, because he does or doesn't approve of someone.

So why aren't you bagging on Sheldon for not doing his job? He was the expedition leader. He is supposed to keep everyone calm, he is supposed ensure working conditions are conducive to getting the job done. He failed to do this. So what if the data was showing your ideas were wrong. DO, your job and don't screw around with the help. You made your choice, live with it, Right? But, this doesn't support your contentions, so we have to ignore this, right?

You have that wrong, they didn't screw up his calculations. His calculations were what they were and predicted monopoles. The data they collected indicated that there were no monopoles. The actual data was negative. The can opener was giving them a false positive, something that any competent scientist would check several times over, before announcing it. On top of that, if Sheldon hadn't sent out the letter, he could have done the data reduction on the actual data, and then done the paper. The can opener data would never have been mentioned.

But again, Sheldon didn't do his job of checking and rechecking the data, before announcing. So where is all your righteous indignation about Sheldon not doing his job?

We get it, you don't like Leonard, but if you going to point out his faults as the reason you dislike him, you better go back and make sure that the other don't have the same faults or aren't doing the same or other very similar things. So far, you haven't done this and it make your conclusions look just silly.

I also notice you haven't given your definition of good character development, good arcs, and good continuity, or why your definitions are the only ones we should use. Or, your comments on the continuity errors of the show you pointed out as having good continuity.

1. The writers a just inconsistent with their portrayal of Sheldon and Leonard. They cam go from awesom understanding people. To insane assholes, who lack basic human understandings. The difference is Leonard is Penny boyfriend his duty is to support, and help Penny grow. Not enable Penny to continue making dumb mistakes. Yes I include buying her that car, I include paying her bills. Those aren't being supporting those are enabling, Leonard doesn't want to lose Penny so rather then giving her some harsh love (out right calling her dumbass for quitting her job, and cutting the cord) he coddles her hoping she can clean up her messes over time. But look at where Penny is now, no job, five friends, no career, no money in the bank. And wedding on the way.

Sheldon on the other hand his duty towards Penny is different. She's arguabley his best friend. So support as much as he can. That being said, the writers don't seem to grasp writing Sheldon consistently, some times he goes far out of his way to help his friends EX trying to recant his statement to FBI, or breaking into Penny's appartment to get her not to break up with Leonard. Other times he gives up after the first possible resistants felt.

2. Clearly "Everything for Sex" is a hyperbole. But when a vast majority of things end in sex. Or are to get sex, that's not a healthy relasionship. Plain and simple.

3. We as viewers don't get to see him own up to s mistakes. Because almost instantly Priya replies "Well I slept with my ex" So we can almost brush off his cheating because in Leonard's words "She did worse" And that goes for him "breaking up with Stephanie" through text "I'm never having sex again" bring bring bring "never mind" walks away. His stabbing Sheldon in the back and getting with Penny. His stabbing Howard in the back and getting Stephanie, and raj Priya. The list goes on, the writers heavily shelter Leonard.

4. The difference is Leonard's NEGATIVE traits are exemplified with minimizing his positive traits. The pettiness the neediness the shallowness, his passive aggressive nature. Are all front and centre, with the quite kind shy nerd playing a back seat, to the stereotypical jock with out muscles.

5. When feeling good as fries the feelings of people you care about. Yes there's something wrong there. He may not have contemplated cheating, but his reaction was a negative one plain and simple. He should have told Alex to back off, that he has a committed girlfriend who he loves. Instead we get him puffing up his chest, then Alex never being mentioned again. Once again the writers sheltering Leonard.

6. OF course the sisters get to choose who they date. BUT it's not a matter of who the sisters choose. It's a matter of being a good friend. My best friends sister could beg me to go on a date. And guess what I would say "NO" why because their brother is my friend. And guess what bros before girls. And if I really felt something for my friends sister guess what, he would say don't hurt her. It's that simple. Leonard ignored that, said "Best get on this train or it will run you over" and honestly if you would go after the sibling of a best friend with out the go ahead. That's just not cool, especially if your older then 25. Since by that age your friends should have no problem with you dating their siblings, unless of course you're a known whore (man/women). Or are much older, I'm talking like they're 20 and you're like 40 that's just weird.

7. Sheldon IS NOT a leader. We as viewers, and Howard Leonard and Raj are aware of this. They understand his insanity, this isn't them meeting. This is them after years of eating, playing video games, watching movies, and just hanging out together.we as viewers and them as characters understand the danger of going to isolated environment with the insanity of Sheldon. They had two choices Buck up do your job, and deal with your decision. Or don't go. They chose to go. And rather then acting like adults, chose to waste thousands of grant, and a trip some scientist would kill for. And worst of stab one of their closest friends in the back.

8. They screwed with his work. Rather then coming back with a consistent negative result and having to give the dreaded "needs more research" on Sheldon's papers. What they did ruined the entire trip, all the data would be thrown out the window (not literally) and the the entire trip was for nothing.

9. Sheldon made his fair share of mistakes. But honestly, all of the negative results would having no results. They stabbed him back nothing more nothing less.

10. Good character development is all about consistency. Having consistent character traits, both positive and negative character traits. A clearly defined arc of growth (for Leonard that arc would still be going if he had one that is). Relatable, high, and low moments. Moments of strength moments of weakness. A believable bond of friendship with the other main characters.

And you ignore the things that all the others have done, that indicate they are also jerks. But, you have to ignore it, otherwise your contention about Leonard doesn't make sense, because the others are doing the same the of things. Not to mention you have to ignore all the good things Leonard has done for his friends, because that also ruins your contentions. All of the characters are broke in some way. As a result, they all act like jerks at some point. I can even pinpoint Amy (or any of the others) acting like a jerk, and not in a lack of social awareness way, for you.

I'm not saying they're not jerks to one another. What I'm saying is Sheldon Bernie Penny Amy Raj Howard make mistakes. Like when Sheldon accidently put Hpwards career back ten years. Or when Amy licked shit in Sheldon's office and Penny's apartment, or when Raj got drunk with Penny, those are mistakes. Those are them being socially unaware, or drunk.

Leonard makes CHOICES. Leonard chose to let sex define his relationship with Penny, Leonard chose to cheat on Priya, Leonard chose to show the topless video of Penny, and have her submit through his mothers mistreatment, Leonard chose stab Sheldon Howard and Raj in the back.

1. The writers a just inconsistent with their portrayal of Sheldon and Leonard. They cam go from awesom understanding people. To insane assholes, who lack basic human understandings. The difference is Leonard is Penny boyfriend his duty is to support, and help Penny grow. Not enable Penny to continue making dumb mistakes. Yes I include buying her that car, I include paying her bills. Those aren't being supporting those are enabling, Leonard doesn't want to lose Penny so rather then giving her some harsh love (out right calling her dumbass for quitting her job, and cutting the cord) he coddles her hoping she can clean up her messes over time. But look at where Penny is now, no job, five friends, no career, no money in the bank. And wedding on the way.

Sheldon on the other hand his duty towards Penny is different. She's arguabley his best friend. So support as much as he can. That being said, the writers don't seem to grasp writing Sheldon consistently, some times he goes far out of his way to help his friends EX trying to recant his statement to FBI, or breaking into Penny's appartment to get her not to break up with Leonard. Other times he gives up after the first possible resistants felt.

You continue to bring this up, but ignore the point I made about my daughter. Her now husband supported her for almost two years, even before they got engaged and were living together. She got exactly one part in that time. He continued to support her (including buying her a car) for the next year for a year when she had two parts. Now, she is making more than he is. She's done six shows in the last year and already has offers for three next year, with 13 call back auditions left. Are you saying my daughters husband was enabling her that whole time? And if not, how is that different from what Leonard has done?

As for Sheldon, other times he goes out of his way to be a jerk, examples below.

2. Clearly "Everything for Sex" is a hyperbole. But when a vast majority of things end in sex. Or are to get sex, that's not a healthy relasionship. Plain and simple.

Can you define and give examples for "a vast majority"? Are you saying that is still going on?

3. We as viewers don't get to see him own up to s mistakes. Because almost instantly Priya replies "Well I slept with my ex" So we can almost brush off his cheating because in Leonard's words "She did worse" And that goes for him "breaking up with Stephanie" through text "I'm never having sex again" bring bring bring "never mind" walks away. His stabbing Sheldon in the back and getting with Penny. His stabbing Howard in the back and getting Stephanie, and raj Priya. The list goes on, the writers heavily shelter Leonard.

4. The difference is Leonard's NEGATIVE traits are exemplified with minimizing his positive traits. The pettiness the neediness the shallowness, his passive aggressive nature. Are all front and centre, with the quite kind shy nerd playing a back seat, to the stereotypical jock with out muscles.

Wait a minute, I pointed out that he actually owned up to the thing to Priya. If you brush it off, that is your problem, it's not Leonard "not owning up" to it. As for Stephanie, he did not break up with her via text. He told her she needed to move back to her own apartment via text. And, he did that because he was inexperience with telling woman to move out. You know, socially unaware of how to do it.

All of the guys are depicted the same, when it come to acting like a jerk. You're just ignoring those traits in anyone other than Leonard, mostly because it doesn't support your contentions.

5. When feeling good as fries the feelings of people you care about. Yes there's something wrong there. He may not have contemplated cheating, but his reaction was a negative one plain and simple. He should have told Alex to back off, that he has a committed girlfriend who he loves.

Instead we get him puffing up his chest, then Alex never being mentioned again. Once again the writers sheltering Leonard.

I still don't understand why him feeling good, without doing anything about it, is a bad thing. I told you, I've done the same thing. If I don't act on it, and turn and walk away, why is it bad that I feel good about it?

As for Alex, she was in the entire episode, remember, she reported Sheldon to HR and he promptly became a jerk and stabbed his friends in the back by reporting them to the HR person, trying to distract the attention from him, not because he's socially unaware. Not to mention, Alex was talked about and was actually in another episode. You do realize that making mistakes like this, makes it appear you haven't actually seen a lot of the recent shows. Which makes your conclusions suspect. But I will grant you she was a plot device.

If by sheltering you mean ignoring all the others bad behavior, that's your option.

6. OF course the sisters get to choose who they date. BUT it's not a matter of who the sisters choose. It's a matter of being a good friend. My best friends sister could beg me to go on a date. And guess what I would say "NO" why because their brother is my friend. And guess what bros before girls.

And if I really felt something for my friends sister guess what, he would say don't hurt her. It's that simple. Leonard ignored that, said "Best get on this train or it will run you over" and honestly if you would go after the sibling of a best friend with out the go ahead. That's just not cool, especially if your older then 25.

I still don't understand why there is some sort of prohibition against dating the sister of a friend. Just because of some dumb as "bro code"? That sounds so misogynistic it's ridiculous. Again, you claiming one should get "permission" from a male sibling to date a woman, sounds as if the woman has no say in the matter.

7. Sheldon IS NOT a leader. We as viewers, and Howard Leonard and Raj are aware of this. They understand his insanity, this isn't them meeting. This is them after years of eating, playing video games, watching movies, and just hanging out together.we as viewers and them as characters understand the danger of going to isolated environment with the insanity of Sheldon. They had two choices Buck up do your job, and deal with your decision. Or don't go. They chose to go. And rather then acting like adults, chose to waste thousands of grant, and a trip some scientist would kill for. And worst of stab one of their closest friends in the back.

8. They screwed with his work. Rather then coming back with a consistent negative result and having to give the dreaded "needs more research" on Sheldon's papers. What they did ruined the entire trip, all the data would be thrown out the window (not literally) and the the entire trip was for nothing.

If he's not a leader, then he shouldn't have accepted the job. But, he accepted it, as a result, he should have done his job. If you demand that Leonard and the others buck up and do their job, it highly hypocritical of you to not demand that Sheldon buck up and do his. Of course, that ruins your contentions, so it has to be ignored or explained away, or, blamed on someone else, evidently this is Leonard's job.

Again, if Sheldon had done his job, if Sheldon hadn't jumped the gun on reporting, he could have reduced the data (remember, NO ONE ELSE had that data, so NO ONE ELSE would have known about the two sets of data). Put the blame for this where it belongs, on Sheldon.

Others think they chose the least objectionable action, to keep Sheldon from losing it. So, would it have been better for them to continue to find negative results, with Sheldon have to be evacuated because of a breakdown? Would that have been Leonard's fault also?

10. Good character development is all about consistency. Having consistent character traits, both positive and negative character traits. A clearly defined arc of growth (for Leonard that arc would still be going if he had one that is). Relatable, high, and low moments. Moments of strength moments of weakness. A believable bond of friendship with the other main characters.

This is all nice and general and doesn't really define anything. Not to mention you didn't provide a reason to use your definition exclusively.

I'm not saying they're not jerks to one another. What I'm saying is Sheldon Bernie Penny Amy Raj Howard make mistakes.

Like when Sheldon accidently put Hpwards career back ten years.

Or when Amy licked shit in Sheldon's office and Penny's apartment,

or when Raj got drunk with Penny, those are mistakes.

Those are them being socially unaware, or drunk. Leonard makes CHOICES.

LOL, Mistakes? Yeah, right. All of them make mistakes. All of them are jerks to one another at some point in time.

As for your examples, what was it you said? "When feeling good as fries the feelings of people you care about."

Like when Sheldon threw them under the bus at HR, trying to distract attention from his screw up? Or when Sheldon told Amy it was Penny's fault she couldn't move in? Or when Sheldon didn't tell anyone he was going to the memorial? (Leonard and Raj both did the same thing). Notice, however, that it was Leonard that he would rather not get tenure than lose his friends, while Sheldon had to be talked into not losing his friends.

Like when Amy lied to Sheldon about working late (and went out with Bernadette) or when Amy didn't want to be Penny's partner for the scavenger hunt, or when Amy conned Sheldon into the train trip on Valentine's Day? None of those, among others are not due to social naiveté

Yeah, drunk don't give anyone a free pass. But isn't there something in the "Bro code" about not going after a friends ex? If you want to blame Leonard what about Raj here?

They all make choices, that lead to mistakes. You're trying to soften the jerky behavior of the others, by making excuses for them, while also trying to foist your version of what is right and what is wrong onto Leonard.

Leonard chose to let sex define his relationship with Penny, Leonard chose to cheat on Priya, Leonard chose to show the topless video of Penny, and have her submit through his mothers mistreatment,Leonard chose stab Sheldon Howard and Raj in the back.

As for defining his relationship, good job ignoring the examples I gave. Not to mention he let it define his relationship in SEASON THREE.

As for Leonard and Alice, you totally ignore how conflicted and guilty he was about it. But you refuse to give him credit for owning up to it. Why did he find out about Priya? Because he was calling her to own up to his, what is the word, oh yeah, mistake.

You still haven't given a valid reason as to why showing a video that is readily available on the internet is some sort of major crime. Or even why a scene from a MOVIE is so wrong. I might agree with you if it was some private home movie, but it wasn't.

You conveniently forget that Penny bought the book freely when another was available, was asked by Leonard not to read it, was asked by Leonard not to discuss it, then brought his mother into their argument. Not saying Leonard was right in doing this, buy how jerky was Penny? Why didn't you mention the whole chain?

And Sheldon, Raj, and Howard have all stabbed each other and Leoanrd in the back.

You're still ignoring the crappy things that the other do to each other. Leonard is no saint, but he isn't the only one being a jerk. When you ignore the things the others do, you're conclusions are suspect.

If you could show that Leonard was doing these things to intentionally hurt his friends, you may have a case. But, he, and the others, do things to feel good or to prevent themselves from feeling bad, something that is all too human. None of them, including Leonard, go out of their way to hurt the others. All of them, including Leonard, end up hurting their friends.

• Like 6

Tensor I admire your tenacity in maintaining the rage in this argument. I gave up hope that Howard's loop counter could end this circular battle long ago but I must admit I am fascinated by the bolded statement above. In the context of the Howard/Stephanie and Raj/Priya backstabbing statements, I'm confused about the Sheldon/Penny back stabbing connection, sECUREij. Are we talking about the monopole betrayal followed by wanting to be with Penny when Sheldon ran or is this some strange statement asserting Leonard spoiled Sheldon's non-existent chance of a relationship with Penny??

Edited by Itwasdestined

I think it means when Leonard just wanted to be with Penny and wasn't interested in how upset Sheldon was until Penny encouraged him to go get Sheldon back from Texas

Edited by rachelshamyfan