The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SheldonCooperFan

Why Do They All Believe They Are Poor?

I noticed something which I do not understand with this show. They all act like they do not make any money. The only time I think this would be justified is in Pennys case since she is a waitress. They talk about how stuff costs them all this money but look at the jobs they have. They all finished college and I am positive none of them are minimum wage. So why do all of the scientists in this show act like they are poor and don't make any money? If people coming out of college make as much as a waitress whats the point of going to college? I looked it up and it says a Chemist makes 35-45$ an hour and a waitress makes 8-10$. Some jobs after 20 year only make 25 an hour. So how are they poor? 

They make a good living but buying figurines and classic collectible comics is an expense of hobby to have. That being said Sheldon said that he only uses 50% of his monthly income. And raj doesn't seem to have problems because his parent. Leonard and Howard though are probally the worst off since they are by far the least supported (sheldon because of his intelligence plus child wonder kid status! and raj by rich parents)

As a point, The Cheesecake Factory has placed ads for waitresses in California, estimating earning of 15-20 an hour.  

• Like 1

On 2 Broke Girls, the girls act like they cannot afford simple things like toilet paper in some episodes and in others they buy more expensive items that they don't even need. I guess it sometimes depends on the writers/storyline of the week.

This has always bugged me, too. By any standard the boys are all solidly middle class. In today's economy I think most of us would trade jobs with any of them!

Somehow I think they are being compared to movie stars and investment bankers. And very few make that kind of money. 

Well first its a comedy TV show , so it doesn't have to make financial sense but

they guys in the show are clearly are ":savers " and live this way by choice . Being that they are all smart individuals , they may be contributing a lot to their retirement account , putting as much as 30-50 % of what they make into a 401k or retirement account - and living off  the rest . "budgeting " their salaries with a retirement in mind .That's the only thing that makes sense is the Location of Sheldon's and Leonard's apt .The show suggest they are pretty close to Cal Tech. So maybe one reason they leave in an average apt is location. Looking at salary's - All the cast members except Penny  should make ( in this days economy market ) over 45k each .i did the research on the internet .Leonard should be taking home about 60k + with his degree and Sheldon with 2 doctorate degrees , no less then 80k on the low side. So Leonard and Sheldon should never have to worry about money - ever ! Unless they decide to live extravagantly which they don't. Essentially Sheldon and Lenny could be living in apt up to 4k a month each and with split rent , and really fell no financial pain. I 've heard the argument of others  that they eat out all the time - (maybe $400 a month worth )but In reality they can afford to do that on their salary without a problem! 

Sheldon with his Dislike of public transportation finds the convince in having a roommate drive him. (its cheaper that way )realistically Sheldon could easily afford to hire a driver to work , or catch a cab. Bernadette / Howard and Raj could easily afford the $5000 3D printer - except Bernadette thinks its a frivolous and ridiculous financial choice.

Edited by AceMackenzie9
  • Like 1

The real issue is that without help , Penny , (being labled as not the best waitess) shouldn't be able to afford her appt across  he hall. She must be getting some help from  family or Leonard.

Actually that's been discussed here quite a bit. Penny her apartment, but would struggle as depicted. The unrealistic part is the guys. Their apartment would run around 2000-2400. There's no need for them to split rent.

• Like 1

Actually that's been discussed here quite a bit. Penny her apartment, but would struggle as depicted. The unrealistic part is the guys. Their apartment would run around 2000-2400. There's no need for them to split rent.

Daily take-out would get pretty expensive.

Edited by ajond
  • Like 1

I think it's been made clear that Sheldon chooses to share the apartment because he needs someone to train and torment xD

Enviado desde mi ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6040A mediante Tapatalk

Well first its a comedy TV show , so it doesn't have to make financial sense but

they guys in the show are clearly are ":savers " and live this way by choice . That's the only things that makes sense is Location of Sheldon's and Leonard's apt suggest they are pretty close to Cal Tech. So maybe one reason they leave in an average apt is location. Looking at salary's - All the cast members except penny  should make ( in this days economy market ) over 45k each .i did the research on the internet Leonard should be taking home about 60k + with his degree and Sheldon with 2 doctorate degrees , no less then 80k on the low side. So Leonard and Sheldon should never have to worry about money ever ! Unless they decide to live extravagantly which they don't. Essentially Sheldon and Lenny could be living in apt up to 4k a month each and with split rent and really fell no pain. I 've heard the argument they eat out all the time - well in reality they can afford on their salary with no problem,. The real issue is that without help , Penny , (being labled as not the best waitess) shouldn't be able to afford her appt across  he hall. She must be getting some help from  family or Leonard.   

Well Sheldon seems to be the only one who doesn't ever make a big deal about money. This was established in an episode where he lent money to penny and Leonard says if he lends you cash he really doesn't care when you give it back to him. However Leonard, Bernadette, raj and Howard always seem to mention how they want to get money from Rajs family and Bernadette yells at Howard when he buys the 3D printer to make dolls.. As though buying something frivolous is really going to destroy those two economically with the money they make. Also its been shown that a lot of times the boys will sometimes pay for pennys food and help her out when she has money issues. So assuming they pay for most of her dinners, we also see leonard lending her money in some episodes, and sheldon gives her money that he doesn't care if she pays back or not. However Sheldon keeps a stash of money just for emergency's. Which doesn't show he has this attitude towards money but simply is being cautious which is in character for him. Raj and howard pointed out that a lot of times they pay for her food when she comes over and make a snarky remark that she mooches off them because she is pretty. 

Not for Penny… ;)

I think it's been made clear that Sheldon chooses to share the apartment because he needs someone to train and torment xD

Enviado desde mi ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6040A mediante Tapatalk

I think Sheldon needs a room mate to drive. In fact he asks this when Leonard first moves in and considering how picky he is about people I don't think he keeps one for companionship. Its also later shown that while sheldon said he had a license in the when leonard moved in he doesn't really have one. So I am assuming based on all this he probably just has a room mate since he needs a ride and he probably doesn't enjoy public transportation. We also see in a number of episodes that Leonard drives him to work every morning and they all seem to work in the same place as they have lunch in the same cafeteria together. Though thinking about that I wonder if it would be possible for Sheldon to just pay a driver instead of having a room mate since that is the purpose Leonard seems to serve to him. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan

I don't think they act poor, nor have claimed to be. Leonard bought Penny a car. Howard is on an allowance because he is married and irresponsible with money. Raj has never complained of being poor. They eat out a lot. Have money to spend on their hobbies.

Penny is a struggling artist. That has been true since the beginning.

I don't understand the premise of this thread.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think they act poor, nor have claimed to be. Leonard bought Penny a car. Howard is on an allowance because he is married and irresponsible with money. Raj has never complained of being poor. They eat out a lot. Have money to spend on their hobbies.

Penny is a struggling artist. That has been true since the beginning.

I don't understand the premise of this thread.

Its very simple. If you want to know the points of the thread read the above comments and discussion. Your inability to comprehend does not change anything. 

Sheldon's not poor!

No and I never said any of the scientist were poor. However Bernadette, Leonard, Raj, and Howard seem to make a big issue about money. Raj makes a big deal when he thinks he is going to be cut off. Given his occupation I don't think he really is going to have a lot of financial problems even if they do decide to cut him off. They must be making  good money given their schooling and occupation and they act as though they need to save all this money. Sheldon seems to not really care about lending out money but the rest always point out when someone is richer than them and how they wish they made that kind of money. 

I read the thread. I also understood it. Thanks.

In that case there is no need for such silly questions is there? 

Bernadette is not poor and makes a point of regularly telling Howard how much more she earns than him

Raj gets an allowance from his parents as well as his wage so not poor, hell he could afford a house if he wanted one

Bernadette is not poor and makes a point of regularly telling Howard how much more she earns than him

Raj gets an allowance from his parents as well as his wage so not poor, hell he could afford a house if he wanted one

Again I never said any of them was poor except maybe penny assuming she is making minimum wage as a waitress though tensor brought up the point about waitresses making more at Cheesecake factory. Though I not sure if the show would have taken that into account when they decided her income. Please read what I wrote again. I never stated the scientists were poor. So no they are not poor but that was never the point and no one other than you is arguing this. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan

You said

Why do they act like they are poor

I am answering you

Again you said that "They are not poor" and again that is not what I said. I said they act and seem to believe they are poor. So unlike you think being poor and acting like you are poor is not the same thing. Its perception vs actuality. 

Soooo what do u think

Rachel, I think her question has already been answered by several people, so don't waste your time or energy trying to be sensible. ;)

For those who haven't watched all the episodes, for shame! Here is some info:

in one episode an actress moves in upstairs from the boys. Clearly willing to use the boys, she asks Penny how much physicists make. Penny says, "I don't know, I don't think a lot" which deflates the actress, no longer thinking about Leonard for anything more than slave labor. 

In another episode, one of the moms, I think Sheldon's, meets the boys and asks if their parents are okay with their limited earning potential. The boys are embarrassed and at least one says his parents are not okay with it. 

One thing that I think is a red herring is that they "eat out" all the time. They don't usually go to a restaurant. It is almost always chinese food or pizza. Neither of these things costs as much as real dining out. I remember Leonard collecting on multiple occasions, one time it is six bucks apiece, another time fourteen-fifty. At the very most that's $400 bucks per month. Not going to break them given their frugality in all other respects.

• Like 1