The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cynthia Davila

The Reaproximation Conundrum (Spoilers)

Heey... First time attempting to write fanfiction (please be gentle!) Anyway, I thought I'd do a mock teleplay focusing on Sheldon's train romp after season 7 finale, and using some of the ideas I've gathered from conversations with friends about what could have caused Sheldon's ADORABLE quirks.

I'm gonna paste it here for now, as I'm still trying to get my bearings with my new fanfiction.net account. As soon as I have it up I will delete the text and put up the link instead. But please, let me know if this is something you like or find intriguing, and I will hopefuly find time to continue to write this out :3

Also, please suggest tags for this before I upload it to fanfiction.net... I feel like a clueless noob there xD.

Here we go! Chapter 1:

The set is a daytime shot, inside of an Amtrack Coastliner. Sheldon enters the cabin and, after brief consideration, sits hugging his satchel instead of putting it in the overhead compartment. He shuffles a bit in his seat as people walk by looking for an empty seat. A teenage boy stops beside him.

Kid: Is this seat taken?

Sheldon: Yes.

The kid sits in another seat. Everyone settles and he seems relieved to have been left alone. He takes out his phone, glances at the time and sets it down instead of putting it away. The train pulls out of the station. A woman about his age, but wearing clothes that seem too young for her age turns over the seat in front of him and leers. He tries to hide his discomfort and fails miserably. He doesn’t look at her directly but before long she speaks.

Woman: Hello… Shelly.

Sheldon looks up in utter shock and his jaw drops as realization dawns on him.

Sheldon: What are YOU doing here?

Woman: Is that any way to greet me after so long? What’s the matter? You look like you saw a ghost.

Sheldon: No offense but you’re really the last person in the world I want to see right now, and that’s saying a lot, since I’m practically on a mission to get away from every single person I know, even the ones I actually like.

Woman: Your words, they cut.

After delivering these words dryly, the woman continues to regard him guardedly, but with curiosity.

Sheldon (standing up): Well this was… something, now excuse me…

Woman: Sure, move, the only empty seats are next to a six-year-old, and another one next to dreadlocks with the strong patchouli scent. Or next to me, of course (she pats the seat next to her with a look of derision)

Sheldon sits back down, sneering.

Sheldon: This can’t be a coincidence, last I head of you was you were living in Arizona.

Woman: That was almost twenty years ago Shelly, you haven’t exactly kept up with me. Not that I blame you or anything. Well… a little.

She tries to smirk but snaps back to a poker face when she gets no reaction from Sheldon.

Both characters are silent for a few seconds. Sheldon looks down contemplatively; the woman keeps looking at him like she’s trying to read him.

Woman: Anyway yeah, it’s not a coincidence I’m here. And you know there’s only one person who could have sent me.

Sheldon: I never thought people could get so desperate so quickly.

Woman: You bailed almost two months ago.

Sheldon: I did NOT bail; I needed some time for contemplation. Not that I owe YOU any explanations.

Woman: Ouch, stop, you wound me deeply.

Sheldon: Let’s not drag this out any more than we have to; just give me your message, or your warning, or words of safe passage through the underworld or whatever it is they sent you to give me.

Woman: Are you really in that much of a hurry to send me away? You’re not the least bit curious as to what’s become of me?

Sheldon: Correct, I have far too much on my mind right now without adding ancient quarrels and long-forgotten devastation to the mix.

Woman: So you have enough with the present quarrels and devastation that you’re making worse by running away… AGAIN?

Sheldon (starting to lose his composure): I did NOT run away back then, I left the country to pursue my higher studies. And I owe you no explanation Gris, no more than you owe me. We are what we are, like we inadvertedly were back then. I have absolutely no interest in bringing up that part of my past again. So please, I beg of you, tell me what you have to tell me and then GO AWAY!

Gris (after a few seconds of thought): You changed. I mean, I don’t blame you, maybe I’m also too close to myself to realize how little of that girl you once knew is left but… damn!

They both look away from each other and meditate silently for a few seconds.

Gris: Your mother sent me, to give you this.

Gris throws an envelope at him. He opens it and looks at the content, a plane ticket.

Sheldon: Why?

Gris: Didn’t say… You’ll just have to find out. Now go ahead and make your phone call before whoever gets worried.

Sheldon: How did you know I have to make a phone call?

Gris (turning around to sit down): You’ve been white-knuckling your phone and obsessively checking the time while we’ve been talking. (Over her shoulder) Have a good life, Sheldon.

Sheldon, after a few beats, composes himself enough to dial Amy’s number.

• Like 2

Hope you guys don't mind if I continue posting just here for the time being... I got stuck at one part of the conversation for the second chapter, but I think I figured it out...anyway, here's Chapter 2:

Chapter 2

Amy answers the phone on video chat.

Amy: Hi Sheldon! Is everything okay? Your call was a bit  late.

Sheldon: Yes, everything is okay, I just had a… uh, unforeseen events to resolve. All’s okay now, though, so, how are you?

Amy: I’m alright; the girls and I are going out for drinks later. Are you sure you’re okay? You look a little flustered.

Sheldon: I’m fine; I just had to run back to my seat… after dealing with my… emergency, because I saw it was getting late.

Amy: I keep telling you train station hamburgers are questionable at best.

Sheldon: Well yeah, when will I ever learn, okay, well, just checking in, I’ll talk to you at our next appointed time?

Amy: Of course. Sheldon…

Sheldon: Yes?

Amy: Promise me you’re okay.

Sheldon: Yes, fine, no need to worry. Talk to you next time.

Amy: Okay… I miss you.

Sheldon: Yes, warm regards. Bye.

Sheldon hastily hangs up and puts away the phone. The sun is starting to set over the ocean. After minutes of silence, Gris speaks up once again.

Gris (over her shoulder): Fascinating.

Sheldon: What?

Gris: I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a bigger jerk.

Sheldon: Yeah? Tell it to someone who cares. (pause, and aside) You’re a jerk.

Gris: So, badly saving face by making a hurried phone call to keep a schedule overrides the discomfort you felt because you have me overhearing, but then you can’t even fake courtesy to the poor girl you’re talking to… that’s pretty lame.

Sheldon: The phone call is merely a courtesy, and furthermore, I reiterate my point from the very beginning of this tired conversation, I DON’T NEED TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO YOU.

Gris: Then why are you doing it?

Sheldon: Because you won’t stop talking to me.

Gris: Still addicted to having the last word?

Sheldon: Still an insufferable Nosy Nelly?

Gris: (shrugging) it’s served me well. I found you.

Sheldon: Well now go find yourself; if Arizona didn’t do for you I hear Mecca is pretty nice this time of year.

Gris: You’re just jealous because you’re thinking now I might have become a bounty hunter, which could only be infinitely more interesting than whatever YOU chose to become.

Sheldon (flustered): EXCUSE me! I happen to be a theoretical physicist, uncovering secrets of the universe you couldn’t even BEGIN to fathom…

Gris: You KNOW I could… sounds boring, too.

Sheldon: Oh yeah? Well YOU’RE no bounty hunter… you don’t have the brawn for it.

Gris (shrugging): Got the brains… AND the skills… but no, it’s not what I do for a living. I just did this as a favor to your mom. Ironically even after the whole… mess, she was a lot more civil to me than you.

Sheldon: Blame it on her Bible-thumping… lot of good that did her in the long run.

Gris: So who is this girl, anyway? She your girlfriend?

Sheldon: SHE, is none of your business.

Gris: (snorts) Yeah, okay, this has my interest now, I’m gonna get to the bottom of this.

Sheldon: No, you are not going to get to the bottom of anything. Griselda, your time in my life was done seventeen years ago, whatever we had back then is dead and buried and you’re NOT going to get back in my head. I deny you access.

Gris: FIRST of all: you decided to break all communications with me because you were, and apparently still are, a yellow, lilly-livered coward. SECOND of all: you’ve already told me WAY more about this girl than you think. AND your situation back home, AND why this little walkabout is an abject and absolute waste of time. And now I’m gonna serve it back to you. Maybe you’ll realize how ridiculous and unenlightened you’re being, or in the worst of cases I’ll give you a splitting stress headache.

Sheldon: So, just like old times, huh?

• Like 1

Hope you guys don't mind if I continue posting just here for the time being... I got stuck at one part of the conversation for the second chapter, but I think I figured it out...anyway, here's Chapter 2:

Chapter 2

Amy answers the phone on video chat.

Amy: Hi Sheldon! Is everything okay? Your call was a bit  late.

Sheldon: Yes, everything is okay, I just had a… uh, unforeseen events to resolve. All’s okay now, though, so, how are you?

Amy: I’m alright; the girls and I are going out for drinks later. Are you sure you’re okay? You look a little flustered.

Sheldon: I’m fine; I just had to run back to my seat… after dealing with my… emergency, because I saw it was getting late.

Amy: I keep telling you train station hamburgers are questionable at best.

Sheldon: Well yeah, when will I ever learn, okay, well, just checking in, I’ll talk to you at our next appointed time?

Amy: Of course. Sheldon…

Sheldon: Yes?

Amy: Promise me you’re okay.

Sheldon: Yes, fine, no need to worry. Talk to you next time.

Amy: Okay… I miss you.

Sheldon: Yes, warm regards. Bye.

Sheldon hastily hangs up and puts away the phone. The sun is starting to set over the ocean. After minutes of silence, Gris speaks up once again.

Gris (over her shoulder): Fascinating.

Sheldon: What?

Gris: I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a bigger jerk.

Sheldon: Yeah? Tell it to someone who cares. (pause, and aside) You’re a jerk.

Gris: So, badly saving face by making a hurried phone call to keep a schedule overrides the discomfort you felt because you have me overhearing, but then you can’t even fake courtesy to the poor girl you’re talking to… that’s pretty lame.

Sheldon: The phone call is merely a courtesy, and furthermore, I reiterate my point from the very beginning of this tired conversation, I DON’T NEED TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO YOU.

Gris: Then why are you doing it?

Sheldon: Because you won’t stop talking to me.

Gris: Still addicted to having the last word?

Sheldon: Still an insufferable Nosy Nelly?

Gris: (shrugging) it’s served me well. I found you.

Sheldon: Well now go find yourself; if Arizona didn’t do for you I hear Mecca is pretty nice this time of year.

Gris: You’re just jealous because you’re thinking now I might have become a bounty hunter, which could only be infinitely more interesting than whatever YOU chose to become.

Sheldon (flustered): EXCUSE me! I happen to be a theoretical physicist, uncovering secrets of the universe you couldn’t even BEGIN to fathom…

Gris: You KNOW I could… sounds boring, too.

Sheldon: Oh yeah? Well YOU’RE no bounty hunter… you don’t have the brawn for it.

Gris (shrugging): Got the brains… AND the skills… but no, it’s not what I do for a living. I just did this as a favor to your mom. Ironically even after the whole… mess, she was a lot more civil to me than you.

Sheldon: Blame it on her Bible-thumping… lot of good that did her in the long run.

Gris: So who is this girl, anyway? She your girlfriend?

Sheldon: SHE, is none of your business.

Gris: (snorts) Yeah, okay, this has my interest now, I’m gonna get to the bottom of this.

Sheldon: No, you are not going to get to the bottom of anything. Griselda, your time in my life was done seventeen years ago, whatever we had back then is dead and buried and you’re NOT going to get back in my head. I deny you access.

Gris: FIRST of all: you decided to break all communications with me because you were, and apparently still are, a yellow, lilly-livered coward. SECOND of all: you’ve already told me WAY more about this girl than you think. AND your situation back home, AND why this little walkabout is an abject and absolute waste of time. And now I’m gonna serve it back to you. Maybe you’ll realize how ridiculous and unenlightened you’re being, or in the worst of cases I’ll give you a splitting stress headache.

Sheldon: So, just like old times, huh?

Thank you for this story.  I am enjoying it very much!  It is especially interesting to go back into Sheldon's past, to learn something of what possibly has made him the way he is today.  Looking forward to where you're taking us with this story.  Also, enjoying the dialogue you've written for the characters.  I am totally picturing Sheldon saying those lines.  Keep up the great work!

Thank you for your nice comments *_*... I am trying to keep Sheldon IC because I hate building myself up and being dissappointed haha... I am gonna try to keep ideas in the realm of the plausible, and see what shakes loose from the ole' brain tree :p

Enviado desde mi ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6040A mediante Tapatalk

• Like 3

This chapter was exhausting to write... I hope you like it...

Chapter 3

Gris: Okay, so here’s what I have so far, based on the sketchy details your mom told me, and what I’ve observed during our conversation: You had some sort of panic attack and thought it would be a good idea to tuck tail and run, you are not answering your phone to anyone, but you touch base every so often with this girl you just talked to. So she wins “Most Likely to Put up With Your Crap”. Here’s the weird part though, that can only make her either an acquaintance you don’t feel threatened by, someone who wouldn’t bother you while you play trains because you’re only marginally close, just a messenger to the people you’re avoiding, so to speak. OR someone you’re invested in sentimentally, so you would be likely to keep her posted on your whereabouts.

Sheldon: It’s a wonder you were able to find me when your deduction skills have become so sloppy.

Gris: You grimaced when I mentioned sentimental involvement, most of your tells are still the same. So this girl is a romantic interest in the very least… it’s also obvious from the phone conversation you had that she’s more invested in you than you are in her.

Sheldon: Now you’ve crossed into the ridiculous. You got ONE thing right before, you’re not even a shadow of your former self.

Gris: Please, Sheldon, you’re practically BEGGING me to serve you. Your inability to stay quiet works against you every time. Anyway, you’re not hoping to gain anything from running away, you did it for the sake of it. They sent me to get you because everyone who knows you and their

dog are quite aware you’ll end up sitting in a corner of the ghetto with an empty coffee cup in your hand unless you allow yourself to be helped.

Sheldon stays quiet, his expression hardens and he turns away, looking out the window at the last rays of the setting sun over the coast.

Gris: Here’s the thing, though, if you keep pushing people away eventually they WILL forget you. I bet your friends are already missing you a little less than they did at first. They’re building their lives around the hole you left in their lives. Stay away long enough and eventually they will start to fill that void with other things. Achievements you weren’t there to share with them, new acquaintances, marriage, children, career prospects… they will try to reach out to you less and less. You will blame them for it, which in turn will make you push away harder. And you will end up bitter and alone, blaming the very people you went out of your way to erase from your life.

Sheldon: (visibly breaking down) Please stop talking.

Gris: You need to be honest with that girl, Sheldon. She’s the only one who may never fill the void again.

Sheldon: Gris… STOP talking. She’s not you.

At this, a puzzled frown crosses Gris’s face. She reels, visibly putting pieces together in her mind very quickly. She replies, now also upset.

Gris: What? What did you say? Sheldon Cooper, you are the most egomaniacal, narcissistic, histrionic and self-centered excuse for a human being I have ever encountered. How easy is it to simplify everything in your life that doesn’t go the way you want and make it about you vs. the world. You have made a mockery of the years of friendship we shared and boiled it down to a crude caricature so you wouldn’t have to deal with what really happened.

Sheldon: You’re wrong, I have not spared a single thought for you since the last time we saw each other. I don’t harbor any sort of regret, I have made my life about the pursuit of that which can be proven, that which is sound and safe, and forsaken all the sentimental namby-pamby crap you have obviously wasted all this time on.

Gris: Oh, SHUT UP!

They both stay quiet, emotionally drained from the exchange. The train announces its stop at Union Station. Gris turns again to sit and speaks with her back to Sheldon.

Gris: Go. You have a plane to catch.

Sheldon: Good bye. I hope for good this time.

Gris sits composing herself for a moment, then fiddles with her phone, looking as though she is torn about her next action. She then resolutely dials a number, puts the phone up to her ear and waits for an answer.

Gris: Hello? Is this Amy?

• Like 3

Short chapter and I'm off to watch Game of Thrones :3

A heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who's reading this, I hope it doesn't offend xD

Chapter 4

Set: Daytime, interior of a well-lit living/dining room. The size of the room is modest, which denotes that this is a small, well-kept home. There is old-fashioned wallpaper on the walls and a living-room set of a garish garnet color, with the sofa flanked by two round wooden side-tables with dainty pink lamps. There are faux flower arrangements on the coffee table, and on three shelves in the back wall. All of these rest on crochet doilies. The dining room table is round, covered with a light olive/pink flower pattern tablecloth and a crochet table runner, over which rests yet another flower arrangement, and a set tea tray with two cups. A mossy carpet covers the floor. We hear the characteristic 3x3 Sheldon knock.

Sheldon: (knock x3) Meemaw?

Meemaw enters the room through the kitchen. She is short, yet solid, with silver hair, a light complexion and bright blue eyes. She wears a long-sleeved, flowy olive dress and light tan orthopedic shoes.

Meemaw: Yes dear! I’m coming!

She opens the door and ecstatically receives Sheldon, hugging him and taking his face in her hands, gestures he welcomes without flinching.

Meemaw: Oh, my Sweet Moon Pie! I have missed you terribly! Come in, come in, sit down and let me have a look at you!

She ushers him in and sits him down on one of the dining room chairs. She regards his face lovingly. Sheldon has only answered her initial greeting and now allows his grandma to have her fill of him, although he can’t hide the fact that he is not completely at ease.

Sheldon: Meemaw, I can’t begin to tell you how much I’ve missed you…

Meemaw: Stop that right now, you talk some big man talk but you worry your poor Meemaw with all this running away nonsense. Now! Quiet, you’ll have your chance to explain, right now let me fix you a cup of tea and some scones and we’ll hear all about this when you’ve had your fill.

Sheldon: Did you know they sent Griselda after me?

Meemaw: I just know your mother did what she had to do to get you here. That’s all that matters. Now hush up and eat.

After their meal Sheldon sits decidedly more at ease, but still sullen.

Sheldon: Oh, to be a cow, or at least half a cow so I could double up on your cooking…

Meemaw: It could only do you good, you’re like a dressed-up string bean. And look at your face, I have a purple handbag that matches the ones under your eyes perfectly. That’s not what I want to see on my sweet boy’s face. I would have thought your mother and I taught you to take better care of yourself.

Sheldon: Well I WAS quite rigorous about my schedules… It’s just these last couple of months have got the better of me.

Meemaw: I think we could stand to leave this conversation till after you’ve had a nap. You look exhausted.

Sheldon: I’m alright. I don’t think I could sleep if I tried. But I do feel much better just being here. This place is exactly as I remember it. At least one person in my life still values consistency and order.

Meemaw: Nonsense. You look ready to go down like a brown bear. I made up the guest bedroom, now you get yourself in there and rest.

Sheldon: (after a moment’s consideration) alright, there’s no harm in trying. But I’m quite certain I’m not going to get a second’s rest with everything that’s going through my head.

As Sheldon speaks he walks into the guest bedroom. He speaks his last words from inside the room.

Meemaw: Well if you can’t sleep just put on some music and relax. I’ll get to work on lunch right away. I’ll make you anything you want, so what would you like? Shelly?

She walks into the guest bedroom and finds Sheldon sprawled face-up on the bed, fully clothed, and completely asleep. She takes off his shoes and covers him with a knitted afghan.

Meemaw: Sweet dreams, moon beam. Take a good rest, because when you wake up, Meemaw’s gonna smack the silliness out of you.

• Like 1

Chapter 5 is going up now!! I loved writing this one :p

It's building... building... it'll pick up soon, I promise! :D

Chapter 5

Sheldon walks out of the guest bedroom, stretching and yawning, looking quite groggy.

Sheldon: Meemaw? You here?

Meemaw: Yes, dear, I’m in the kitchen making breakfast.

Sheldon: But we just had breakfast. (aside) Poor dear’s starting to lose it. Boy I sure feel sore considering I just dozed for a few minutes.

Meemaw: Try 23 hours.

Sheldon: I… what?!

Meemaw walks out of the kitchen with a tall stack of pancakes on a platter. The table is already set for breakfast.

Meemaw: I was seriously considering starting you on a saline drip and vitamins if you didn’t wake up within the next hour. See? I knew you just needed to rest. You’ll start feeling much better now.

Sheldon: I wish I could be as confident as you. I feel rested, sure… but just as weak and feeble physically and mentally as I did when I first walked in here.

Meemaw: Let me help with the physical weakness. That’s a job for bacon and pancakes. As for your mental woes, just listen to Meemaw for a moment while you eat.

Sheldon: Hold on, what time is it?

Meemaw: It’s… 8:34.

Sheldon: Oh my… hold on a second, please.

Sheldon takes out his phone and dials Amy’s number. There is no answer.

Sheldon: That’s curious… Amy should have been expecting that call. Well, she might just be sleeping in. Well, okay, I’m all ears.

Meemaw: Okay dear, now, I have gathered the most important details of your dilemma from your mother. You can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve been given to understand you are disenchanted with the direction your work has been taking, your roommate is now engaged, one of your… safe places burned down, and one of your childhood heroes, whom you had managed to meet and get to know, passed away recently. Am I missing anything?

Sheldon: (through a full mouth) No… that’s pretty much the long and wide of it.

Meemaw: Really?

Sheldon: (after seriously considering for a few seconds) Yes.

Meemaw: (side-eyeing Sheldon skeptically, a gesture he entirely misses as he is too busy working on his food) Okay… well let’s start with that. Shelly, you were so excited when you thought of all the possibilities of string theory, back when you first chose it as you field of study, what’s keeping you from believing you will be just as elated about the next thing you choose to delve into?

Sheldon: Nothing, really. I was a bit put out when the university told me I couldn’t change my field of study, but after giving it enough thought I realized I can just as easily apply for a new grant. That concern has been crossed out of the list for a while now.

Meemaw: Well, that’s my boy! And, concerning the death of your hero, I’m sure you don’t like to be reminded of the mortality of those you love, and I might sound callous saying this, but you’re not a stranger to that feeling. And as much as it was hard for all of us to mourn the passing of your Pop-pop and your daddy within years of each other, we managed to cope. And although internally I’m sure it was awful for you, it never seemed to break you externally. You always seemed to be the strongest of us all.

Sheldon: Yes. Well if anything, I think Arthur’s passing has only helped me become closer to him. I dream about him now, he’s become sort of like my conscience.

Meemaw: Really? Well that must be nice. What does he tell you?

Sheldon: To appreciate the people around me. I don’t know Meemaw… every person I’ve met since I left home has been a constant disappointment. I kept considering that maybe I should move back here. My pride in my work wouldn’t let me before, and now my mom’s new… emotional situation managed to put me off that idea in a darn hurry.

Meemaw: Okay, time to park your car, honey. If you could sort so much of this out so quickly, then what continues to keep you away from your own home? Is it the situation with you roommate? The store that burned down hardly seems like anything that would break you.

Sheldon: Don’t be so sure, I got a pretty good discount on comic books at that place.

Meemaw shoots Sheldon a disarming glance, at which he reacts by lowering his eyes and nervously pecking at his food.

Meemaw: So, is this about your friends?

Sheldon: It is. It’s about everyone I know failing to acknowledge my need for consistency and a safe environment. People just willingly throw themselves on the train tracks and expect me to just watch while they ruin my life.

Meemaw: YOUR life?

Sheldon: That’s what I said.

Meemaw: These people are obviously important to you. If you care about them, you’ll want them to be happy. I don’t remember you ever being this upset when your previous three roommates moved out.

Sheldon: Well they didn’t technically move out, so much as they stormed out in fits of colossal rage. I don’t know… Leonard has stuck around longer than the others. I had to learn to accommodate him about as much as he’s had to accommodate me.

Meemaw: (scoffing) Really?

Sheldon: Okay, it might have skewed in my favor a bit.

Meemaw: Shelly…

Sheldon: Fine, he’s practically a saint. But now he doesn’t want to be my roommate anymore.

Meemaw: I doubt he’ll get married right away, and if he’s as good a friend as you say, I’m sure he’ll give you time to sort out living arrangements before he moves.

Sheldon: Yes, he’d do that for me. And I can still hope against hope that they’ll break it off.

Meemaw: Sheldon! That’s not a nice thought.

Sheldon: Sorry. Well, yes, I am feeling quite ridiculous now. I could have coped with these things happening one at a time, but they all ganged up on me.

Meemaw: So that’s all sorted out?

Sheldon: It is. Thank you for listening to me, Meemaw. I can always count on your down-to-earth wisdom and small-town candor when my intellect reels out of control.

Meemaw: Well, sure. Do you feel ready to go home now?

Sheldon: I do. I’ll spend the rest of the weekend here and head right back to Pasadena first thing Monday morning.

Meemaw: Well, that’s great! I’m so happy I could help.

Sheldon makes a move to stand up, but Meemaw holds his arm down as he does.

Meemaw: You’re still a horrible liar, Sheldon. You’re only good at lying to yourself. Now sit back down, we’re going to talk about this Amy girl.

• Like 4

This chapter was exhausting to write... I hope you like it...

Chapter 3

Gris: Okay, so here’s what I have so far, based on the sketchy details your mom told me, and what I’ve observed during our conversation: You had some sort of panic attack and thought it would be a good idea to tuck tail and run, you are not answering your phone to anyone, but you touch base every so often with this girl you just talked to. So she wins “Most Likely to Put up With Your Crap”. Here’s the weird part though, that can only make her either an acquaintance you don’t feel threatened by, someone who wouldn’t bother you while you play trains because you’re only marginally close, just a messenger to the people you’re avoiding, so to speak. OR someone you’re invested in sentimentally, so you would be likely to keep her posted on your whereabouts.

Sheldon: It’s a wonder you were able to find me when your deduction skills have become so sloppy.

Gris: You grimaced when I mentioned sentimental involvement, most of your tells are still the same. So this girl is a romantic interest in the very least… it’s also obvious from the phone conversation you had that she’s more invested in you than you are in her.

Sheldon: Now you’ve crossed into the ridiculous. You got ONE thing right before, you’re not even a shadow of your former self.

Gris: Please, Sheldon, you’re practically BEGGING me to serve you. Your inability to stay quiet works against you every time. Anyway, you’re not hoping to gain anything from running away, you did it for the sake of it. They sent me to get you because everyone who knows you and their

dog are quite aware you’ll end up sitting in a corner of the ghetto with an empty coffee cup in your hand unless you allow yourself to be helped.

Sheldon stays quiet, his expression hardens and he turns away, looking out the window at the last rays of the setting sun over the coast.

Gris: Here’s the thing, though, if you keep pushing people away eventually they WILL forget you. I bet your friends are already missing you a little less than they did at first. They’re building their lives around the hole you left in their lives. Stay away long enough and eventually they will start to fill that void with other things. Achievements you weren’t there to share with them, new acquaintances, marriage, children, career prospects… they will try to reach out to you less and less. You will blame them for it, which in turn will make you push away harder. And you will end up bitter and alone, blaming the very people you went out of your way to erase from your life.

Sheldon: (visibly breaking down) Please stop talking.

Gris: You need to be honest with that girl, Sheldon. She’s the only one who may never fill the void again.

Sheldon: Gris… STOP talking. She’s not you.

At this, a puzzled frown crosses Gris’s face. She reels, visibly putting pieces together in her mind very quickly. She replies, now also upset.

Gris: What? What did you say? Sheldon Cooper, you are the most egomaniacal, narcissistic, histrionic and self-centered excuse for a human being I have ever encountered. How easy is it to simplify everything in your life that doesn’t go the way you want and make it about you vs. the world. You have made a mockery of the years of friendship we shared and boiled it down to a crude caricature so you wouldn’t have to deal with what really happened.

Sheldon: You’re wrong, I have not spared a single thought for you since the last time we saw each other. I don’t harbor any sort of regret, I have made my life about the pursuit of that which can be proven, that which is sound and safe, and forsaken all the sentimental namby-pamby crap you have obviously wasted all this time on.

Gris: Oh, SHUT UP!

They both stay quiet, emotionally drained from the exchange. The train announces its stop at Union Station. Gris turns again to sit and speaks with her back to Sheldon.

Gris: Go. You have a plane to catch.

Sheldon: Good bye. I hope for good this time.

Gris sits composing herself for a moment, then fiddles with her phone, looking as though she is torn about her next action. She then resolutely dials a number, puts the phone up to her ear and waits for an answer.

Gris: Hello? Is this Amy?

Interesting!  Can't wait to find out why this Gris person was so integral in his life.  Great idea introducing a new character into the mix.  Helps to flesh out the character of Sheldon more fully than ever.  Can't wait to see where it's going.  Keep up the great work!

Short chapter and I'm off to watch Game of Thrones :3

A heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who's reading this, I hope it doesn't offend xD

Chapter 4

Set: Daytime, interior of a well-lit living/dining room. The size of the room is modest, which denotes that this is a small, well-kept home. There is old-fashioned wallpaper on the walls and a living-room set of a garish garnet color, with the sofa flanked by two round wooden side-tables with dainty pink lamps. There are faux flower arrangements on the coffee table, and on three shelves in the back wall. All of these rest on crochet doilies. The dining room table is round, covered with a light olive/pink flower pattern tablecloth and a crochet table runner, over which rests yet another flower arrangement, and a set tea tray with two cups. A mossy carpet covers the floor. We hear the characteristic 3x3 Sheldon knock.

Sheldon: (knock x3) Meemaw?

Meemaw enters the room through the kitchen. She is short, yet solid, with silver hair, a light complexion and bright blue eyes. She wears a long-sleeved, flowy olive dress and light tan orthopedic shoes.

Meemaw: Yes dear! I’m coming!

She opens the door and ecstatically receives Sheldon, hugging him and taking his face in her hands, gestures he welcomes without flinching.

Meemaw: Oh, my Sweet Moon Pie! I have missed you terribly! Come in, come in, sit down and let me have a look at you!

She ushers him in and sits him down on one of the dining room chairs. She regards his face lovingly. Sheldon has only answered her initial greeting and now allows his grandma to have her fill of him, although he can’t hide the fact that he is not completely at ease.

Sheldon: Meemaw, I can’t begin to tell you how much I’ve missed you…

Meemaw: Stop that right now, you talk some big man talk but you worry your poor Meemaw with all this running away nonsense. Now! Quiet, you’ll have your chance to explain, right now let me fix you a cup of tea and some scones and we’ll hear all about this when you’ve had your fill.

Sheldon: Did you know they sent Griselda after me?

Meemaw: I just know your mother did what she had to do to get you here. That’s all that matters. Now hush up and eat.

After their meal Sheldon sits decidedly more at ease, but still sullen.

Sheldon: Oh, to be a cow, or at least half a cow so I could double up on your cooking…

Meemaw: It could only do you good, you’re like a dressed-up string bean. And look at your face, I have a purple handbag that matches the ones under your eyes perfectly. That’s not what I want to see on my sweet boy’s face. I would have thought your mother and I taught you to take better care of yourself.

Sheldon: Well I WAS quite rigorous about my schedules… It’s just these last couple of months have got the better of me.

Meemaw: I think we could stand to leave this conversation till after you’ve had a nap. You look exhausted.

Sheldon: I’m alright. I don’t think I could sleep if I tried. But I do feel much better just being here. This place is exactly as I remember it. At least one person in my life still values consistency and order.

Meemaw: Nonsense. You look ready to go down like a brown bear. I made up the guest bedroom, now you get yourself in there and rest.

Sheldon: (after a moment’s consideration) alright, there’s no harm in trying. But I’m quite certain I’m not going to get a second’s rest with everything that’s going through my head.

As Sheldon speaks he walks into the guest bedroom. He speaks his last words from inside the room.

Meemaw: Well if you can’t sleep just put on some music and relax. I’ll get to work on lunch right away. I’ll make you anything you want, so what would you like? Shelly?

She walks into the guest bedroom and finds Sheldon sprawled face-up on the bed, fully clothed, and completely asleep. She takes off his shoes and covers him with a knitted afghan.

Meemaw: Sweet dreams, moon beam. Take a good rest, because when you wake up, Meemaw’s gonna smack the silliness out of you.

Short but sweet chapter. Can't wait to read more of Sheldon and Meemaw's conversations and more about Gris.

• Like 1

Chapter 5

Sheldon walks out of the guest bedroom, stretching and yawning, looking quite groggy.

Sheldon: But we just had breakfast. (aside) Poor dear’s starting to lose it. Boy I sure feel sore considering I just dozed for a few minutes.

Meemaw walks out of the kitchen with a tall stack of pancakes on a platter. The table is already set for breakfast.

Meemaw: I was seriously considering starting you on a saline drip and vitamins if you didn’t wake up within the next hour. See? I knew you just needed to rest. You’ll start feeling much better now.

Sheldon: I wish I could be as confident as you. I feel rested, sure… but just as weak and feeble physically and mentally as I did when I first walked in here.

Meemaw: Let me help with the physical weakness. That’s a job for bacon and pancakes. As for your mental woes, just listen to Meemaw for a moment while you eat.

Sheldon: That’s curious… Amy should have been expecting that call. Well, she might just be sleeping in. Well, okay, I’m all ears.

Meemaw: Okay dear, now, I have gathered the most important details of your dilemma from your mother. You can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve been given to understand you are disenchanted with the direction your work has been taking, your roommate is now engaged, one of your… safe places burned down, and one of your childhood heroes, whom you had managed to meet and get to know, passed away recently. Am I missing anything?

Meemaw: (side-eyeing Sheldon skeptically, a gesture he entirely misses as he is too busy working on his food) Okay… well let’s start with that. Shelly, you were so excited when you thought of all the possibilities of string theory, back when you first chose it as you field of study, what’s keeping you from believing you will be just as elated about the next thing you choose to delve into?

Sheldon: Nothing, really. I was a bit put out when the university told me I couldn’t change my field of study, but after giving it enough thought I realized I can just as easily apply for a new grant. That concern has been crossed out of the list for a while now.

Meemaw: Well, that’s my boy! And, concerning the death of your hero, I’m sure you don’t like to be reminded of the mortality of those you love, and I might sound callous saying this, but you’re not a stranger to that feeling. And as much as it was hard for all of us to mourn the passing of your Pop-pop and your daddy within years of each other, we managed to cope. And although internally I’m sure it was awful for you, it never seemed to break you externally. You always seemed to be the strongest of us all.

Sheldon: Yes. Well if anything, I think Arthur’s passing has only helped me become closer to him. I dream about him now, he’s become sort of like my conscience.

Sheldon: To appreciate the people around me. I don’t know Meemaw… every person I’ve met since I left home has been a constant disappointment. I kept considering that maybe I should move back here. My pride in my work wouldn’t let me before, and now my mom’s new… emotional situation managed to put me off that idea in a darn hurry.

Meemaw: Okay, time to park your car, honey. If you could sort so much of this out so quickly, then what continues to keep you away from your own home? Is it the situation with you roommate? The store that burned down hardly seems like anything that would break you.

Sheldon: Don’t be so sure, I got a pretty good discount on comic books at that place.

Meemaw shoots Sheldon a disarming glance, at which he reacts by lowering his eyes and nervously pecking at his food.

Sheldon: It is. It’s about everyone I know failing to acknowledge my need for consistency and a safe environment. People just willingly throw themselves on the train tracks and expect me to just watch while they ruin my life.

Meemaw: These people are obviously important to you. If you care about them, you’ll want them to be happy. I don’t remember you ever being this upset when your previous three roommates moved out.

Sheldon: Well they didn’t technically move out, so much as they stormed out in fits of colossal rage. I don’t know… Leonard has stuck around longer than the others. I had to learn to accommodate him about as much as he’s had to accommodate me.

Sheldon: Fine, he’s practically a saint. But now he doesn’t want to be my roommate anymore.

Meemaw: I doubt he’ll get married right away, and if he’s as good a friend as you say, I’m sure he’ll give you time to sort out living arrangements before he moves.

Sheldon: Yes, he’d do that for me. And I can still hope against hope that they’ll break it off.

Sheldon: Sorry. Well, yes, I am feeling quite ridiculous now. I could have coped with these things happening one at a time, but they all ganged up on me.

Sheldon: It is. Thank you for listening to me, Meemaw. I can always count on your down-to-earth wisdom and small-town candor when my intellect reels out of control.

Sheldon: I do. I’ll spend the rest of the weekend here and head right back to Pasadena first thing Monday morning.

Meemaw: You’re still a horrible liar, Sheldon. You’re only good at lying to yourself. Now sit back down, we’re going to talk about this Amy girl.

I just LOVE that story. <3 especially the ending of this chapter! Mw's the best ;)

I can't wait to read more!

Ch-ch-ch-chaper 6!!! :D

Chapter 6

Sheldon: (shocked) Why did you call me Sheldon? Don’t call me Sheldon, bad things happen when you call me Sheldon… I’m honey, dear, Shelly, Moon Pie…

Meemaw: Well that’s what you get for trying to pull the wool over your Meemaw’s eyes. You’re not telling me the half of it. I would think you’d know better, and I’m fairly disappointed.

Sheldon: I didn’t lie! I just… chose what parts of the truth to tell.

Meemaw: I’m gonna jump right into this, if you don’t mind. I only want to know the important bits, you can fill me in on the details after. Does this girl love you?

Sheldon: (begrudgingly) I believe so.

Meemaw: And how are you handling that belief?

Sheldon: (sighing) How do you think?

Meemaw: Do you love her back?

Sheldon: I don’t know… I never really gave it much thought before I ran off.

Meemaw: Keep talking…

Sheldon: I enjoy her company, most of the time. She has a brilliant mind, clever conversation, she’s a good cook. Do you know she hates strawberry quick, but she stocks up because I love it? And anyway, it just seems like recently we’ve been coming across more and more differences. And I just don’t know how to deal with that. Mostly I don’t want to think about what it means.

Meemaw: Was it different when you first started dating?

Sheldon: Yes, it just keeps getting more and more complicated. She wants more from me.

Meemaw: Well that’s the way relationships work. They move through stages. You don’t get to be stagnant in a relationship because as people grow, they change. Then they learn to accommodate each other.

Sheldon: I really thought I could freeze and settle into that initial stage of our relationship. It seemed worth a try in the beginning, anyway.

Meemaw: Oh, my dear Moon Pie… you left home much too young. You still had so much to learn from your family. I know you cherish and keep every precept your mom and I ever taught you as cardinal rules, but there was so much you never experienced, and so much you denied yourself…

Sheldon: What do you mean, denied myself?

Meemaw: Before I get to that, let me ask you, what was the last thing you did for Amy that made her happy?

Sheldon: I kissed her.

Sheldon: (quickly) Less than 15 seconds, closed mouth… mostly.

Meemaw: Well… (she stares processing what she just heard) I mean, that’s good. Yes. Okay, so, what was the last thing she did for you that made you happy?

Sheldon: She kissed me back.

Both characters sit silently, contemplating on what has been said. Sheldon’s expression softens and he stares off. When Meemaw breaks the silence he snaps back from his daydream.

Meemaw: Okay darling, I can’t run with your scientific principles but I know some well enough to… pace for a bit, if you promise to forgive me for stripping it to bare bones.

Sheldon: I know you’re smarter than anyone else in my family. Well, except for me, of course. I always imagined a day would come when I could prove that the genes responsible for my superior intellect came from your side of the family.

Meemaw: Don’t butter me up, dear. Okay, so, do you think your paradigm for a romantic, committed, long-term relationship is a bit limited in scope?

Sheldon: I don’t think I even have a paradigm that fits all of those criteria at once.

Meemaw: Well yeah, I guess that’s where I was going with this… Well now, it’s like… a… refrigerator paradigm. You don’t expect to open up your refrigerator one day and find a telephone in there, right?

Sheldon: Right.

Meemaw: But your refrigerator paradigm also may not include… I don’t know, blood sausage. But if you buy blood sausage one day and find out your enjoy it, it would be added to your refrigerator paradigm. If you didn’t you simply wouldn’t buy it again.

Sheldon: If this is a pitch about getting me to condescend more to Amy’s needs, I don’t think it’s a very sound analogy. The refrigerator wouldn’t complain about not getting any more sausage.

Meemaw: Right. I have to give these examples a bit more thought. I wish I could tell you there’s a tried and true method of making a relationship work, but it’s mostly just an act of faith. You said yourself you believe she loves you, you say you have made her happy with some of your actions, can you show me tangible proof of these things?

Sheldon: I can’t.

Meemaw: Doesn’t mean they don’t exist, right?

Sheldon: It’s not that simple. Even strangers started telling me I need to commit to her. It drove me crazy.

Meemaw: Why? What’s the real reason?

Sheldon: I couldn’t think of any other way to commit than what I was doing. I started second-guessing myself. Thinking maybe things weren’t progressing as steadily as I thought. The worst part was thinking that I would eventually prove myself to be an inadequate match for Amy, and everything I had accomplished with her would have been for nothing. I would just have hurt both of us.

Meemaw: Just consider these new precepts Shelly: there is no such thing as a perfect match. Your pop-pop and I went through many difficult times in our relationship before we finally settled into each other’s rhythms. For us, though, quitting was never an option. We were stubborn about each other. I know your own parents weren’t much of a model of marital bliss for you to learn from, but they also stuck it out for the sake of you and your siblings. And also, all things have an end. We are not permanent beings. But if you can’t imagine your life getting any better without Amy in it, well then that’s really all you need to know.

Sheldon: I guess it is. But I still can’t get around the uncertainty of it all.

Meemaw: Well… getting back to that loose strand of conversation, I think it might be because you haven’t made time to let go of your past. (guardedly) Maybe it wasn’t an act of desperation that made your mother contact Griselda.

Sheldon: (dismissively) I don’t want to talk about her.

Meemaw: I could bet this house you still have no idea what you feel when you think about her.

Sheldon: I don’t have the need to feel anything because I don’t think about her.

Sheldon’s phone rings. He looks down and stands up quickly as if propelled by a spring.

Sheldon: Hold on, I have to get this. Amy, is everything okay?

Gris: Yes, Shelly, everything’s just A-OK now. I took it upon myself to wash your dirty skivvies, now you don’t have to keep stringing this poor girl along for the rest of your miserable days. You’re welcome, bye!

• Like 2

No new chapter today... My goal is to do one a day but today's a holiday un México so... Yeah :p

Next chapter will be Amy + Gris :B

Enviado desde mi ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6040A mediante Tapatalk

• Like 2

Chapter 5

Awesome!  I kept waiting for Meemaw to see through Sheldon's BS, and she did.  What a great character, even though we have never met her until now through your story. Thanks for introducing her to us!  I can't wait to see what she says next.

Ch-ch-ch-chaper 6!!! :D

Chapter 6

Sheldon: (shocked) Why did you call me Sheldon? Don’t call me Sheldon, bad things happen when you call me Sheldon… I’m honey, dear, Shelly, Moon Pie…

Meemaw: Well that’s what you get for trying to pull the wool over your Meemaw’s eyes. You’re not telling me the half of it. I would think you’d know better, and I’m fairly disappointed.

Sheldon: I didn’t lie! I just… chose what parts of the truth to tell.

Meemaw: I’m gonna jump right into this, if you don’t mind. I only want to know the important bits, you can fill me in on the details after. Does this girl love you?

Sheldon: (begrudgingly) I believe so.

Meemaw: And how are you handling that belief?

Sheldon: (sighing) How do you think?

Meemaw: Do you love her back?

Sheldon: I don’t know… I never really gave it much thought before I ran off.

Meemaw: Keep talking…

Sheldon: I enjoy her company, most of the time. She has a brilliant mind, clever conversation, she’s a good cook. Do you know she hates strawberry quick, but she stocks up because I love it? And anyway, it just seems like recently we’ve been coming across more and more differences. And I just don’t know how to deal with that. Mostly I don’t want to think about what it means.

Meemaw: Was it different when you first started dating?

Sheldon: Yes, it just keeps getting more and more complicated. She wants more from me.

Meemaw: Well that’s the way relationships work. They move through stages. You don’t get to be stagnant in a relationship because as people grow, they change. Then they learn to accommodate each other.

Sheldon: I really thought I could freeze and settle into that initial stage of our relationship. It seemed worth a try in the beginning, anyway.

Meemaw: Oh, my dear Moon Pie… you left home much too young. You still had so much to learn from your family. I know you cherish and keep every precept your mom and I ever taught you as cardinal rules, but there was so much you never experienced, and so much you denied yourself…

Sheldon: What do you mean, denied myself?

Meemaw: Before I get to that, let me ask you, what was the last thing you did for Amy that made her happy?

Sheldon: I kissed her.

Sheldon: (quickly) Less than 15 seconds, closed mouth… mostly.

Meemaw: Well… (she stares processing what she just heard) I mean, that’s good. Yes. Okay, so, what was the last thing she did for you that made you happy?

Sheldon: She kissed me back.

Both characters sit silently, contemplating on what has been said. Sheldon’s expression softens and he stares off. When Meemaw breaks the silence he snaps back from his daydream.

Meemaw: Okay darling, I can’t run with your scientific principles but I know some well enough to… pace for a bit, if you promise to forgive me for stripping it to bare bones.

Sheldon: I know you’re smarter than anyone else in my family. Well, except for me, of course. I always imagined a day would come when I could prove that the genes responsible for my superior intellect came from your side of the family.

Meemaw: Don’t butter me up, dear. Okay, so, do you think your paradigm for a romantic, committed, long-term relationship is a bit limited in scope?

Sheldon: I don’t think I even have a paradigm that fits all of those criteria at once.

Meemaw: Well yeah, I guess that’s where I was going with this… Well now, it’s like… a… refrigerator paradigm. You don’t expect to open up your refrigerator one day and find a telephone in there, right?

Sheldon: Right.

Meemaw: But your refrigerator paradigm also may not include… I don’t know, blood sausage. But if you buy blood sausage one day and find out your enjoy it, it would be added to your refrigerator paradigm. If you didn’t you simply wouldn’t buy it again.

Sheldon: If this is a pitch about getting me to condescend more to Amy’s needs, I don’t think it’s a very sound analogy. The refrigerator wouldn’t complain about not getting any more sausage.

Meemaw: Right. I have to give these examples a bit more thought. I wish I could tell you there’s a tried and true method of making a relationship work, but it’s mostly just an act of faith. You said yourself you believe she loves you, you say you have made her happy with some of your actions, can you show me tangible proof of these things?

Sheldon: I can’t.

Meemaw: Doesn’t mean they don’t exist, right?

Sheldon: It’s not that simple. Even strangers started telling me I need to commit to her. It drove me crazy.

Meemaw: Why? What’s the real reason?

Sheldon: I couldn’t think of any other way to commit than what I was doing. I started second-guessing myself. Thinking maybe things weren’t progressing as steadily as I thought. The worst part was thinking that I would eventually prove myself to be an inadequate match for Amy, and everything I had accomplished with her would have been for nothing. I would just have hurt both of us.

Meemaw: Just consider these new precepts Shelly: there is no such thing as a perfect match. Your pop-pop and I went through many difficult times in our relationship before we finally settled into each other’s rhythms. For us, though, quitting was never an option. We were stubborn about each other. I know your own parents weren’t much of a model of marital bliss for you to learn from, but they also stuck it out for the sake of you and your siblings. And also, all things have an end. We are not permanent beings. But if you can’t imagine your life getting any better without Amy in it, well then that’s really all you need to know.

Sheldon: I guess it is. But I still can’t get around the uncertainty of it all.

Meemaw: Well… getting back to that loose strand of conversation, I think it might be because you haven’t made time to let go of your past. (guardedly) Maybe it wasn’t an act of desperation that made your mother contact Griselda.

Sheldon: (dismissively) I don’t want to talk about her.

Meemaw: I could bet this house you still have no idea what you feel when you think about her.

Sheldon: I don’t have the need to feel anything because I don’t think about her.

Sheldon’s phone rings. He looks down and stands up quickly as if propelled by a spring.

Sheldon: Hold on, I have to get this. Amy, is everything okay?

Gris: Yes, Shelly, everything’s just A-OK now. I took it upon myself to wash your dirty skivvies, now you don’t have to keep stringing this poor girl along for the rest of your miserable days. You’re welcome, bye!

Oh, this is really getting good!  I love the conversations with Meemaw; she gets right to the heart of the matter.  Can't wait to learn more about this Griselda character, also.  Very intriguing story thus far!  Looking forward to more!

I'm having SO much fun writing this xD and I love to hear your nice comments about my work :3 

Anyway, here's a two-in-one chapter. This was hard to write because Amy is my fave TBBT character. Writing her well means a lot to me :p

Chapter 7

Scene: Daytime, int. Amy’s apartment. Gris is sitting on the couch. On the coffee table in front of her is a glass of water and Amy’s handbag, into which she is tossing back Amy’s phone. Amy emerges from her room with a bad case of bed hair.

Amy: Excuse me for being so… disheveled; I had a bit of a big party… weekend.

Gris: Oh, don’t mention it, when a girl needs to let loose that’s just all there is to it.

Amy: So… um… I’m sorry, how is it you know Sheldon? He never mentioned you.

Gris: Oh, he and I go way back… WAY back. If he never mentioned me I guess he just wanted to keep me hidden from all knowledge by the… new people in his life.

Amy’s home phone rings. Confused, hung over and visibly upset, Amy goes to pick it up.

Amy: ah… excuse me… again.

Gris swears under her breath.

Gris: Dammit! Forgot the freakin’ land line!

Amy (to the phone): Hello? Hey! What happ…

Amy cuts off and listens intently, eyeing Gris nervously.

Amy: Um… three. Yeah, two pair… Definitely the hot pink with the garters. (To Gris) I’m gonna take this inside, a friend of mine’s getting married and consulting me about wedding night fashions.

Gris smiles sympathetically, and Amy goes to her room.

Amy: What the hell’s the matter Sheldon? Who is this girl and why do you have me talking to you in code? Well… no, she just showed up like half an hour ago… What? My phone hasn’t rung all morning! What?! Okay, calm down. NO! DO NOT HANG UP! Tell me if she’s dangerous!

Scene cuts to Sheldon in a cab talking frantically on the phone.

Sheldon: Amy! Amy! You calm down! I’m coming home, you need to get rid of her, just please, whatever you do, don’t talk to her! She’s not dangerous, just... Don’t trust her! Amy! No matter what she tells you, just remember I…

Scene cuts back to Amy as the call gets disconnected.

Amy: What? Sheldon? Hello? (looks at her phone and adds, dismayed) Oh, COME ON!

Amy comes back into the main room just as Gris is quickly settling back into the couch.

Gris: Hey! Did you settle on a color for your friend’s culottes?

Amy: It’s weird, my phone got disconnected… (goes over to the coffee table to retrieve her handbag and roots around in it for a few seconds before Gris interjects)

Gris: What’s the matter? Lost something?

Amy: My cel phone… I… guess I must have left it at the bar…

Gris: That was Sheldon on the phone, wasn’t it?

Amy: What?

Gris: Oh, please, you’re about as bad at lying as he is. I know he probably blew his top when you told him I’m here. I was a huge part of his life growing up, but now I’m just something he swept under the rug. Sad part is, I never would have thought he was capable of something like that.

Amy: What… exactly WERE you two?

Gris: Were… are… I think he needs to tell you that himself. I’ll be surprised if he can summon enough cojones, though. Just another thing you should know about him, not big on the courage department. Or maybe you already know.

Amy: Look… um… Gris… I think you should leave now. Sheldon’s on his way back and I’m certain we can settle this discussion another day.

Gris: Nah, I suck at waiting. We’ll do this; I know you don’t feel comfortable talking to me, sooo… I’m gonna take a nice nap, sleep off some of the kinks, and then we’ll take this battle to neutral ground: Sheldon’s apartment.

Amy: Battle? What do you mean?

Gris: I just know I hadn’t seen Sheldon in seventeen years, and he managed to scorn me during our most recent meeting. Stuff’s going down.

Gris lies down on the couch and pulls the afghan over herself, right before a very disconcerted Amy.

Gris: Be a dear and set an alarm for 6pm. I tend to oversleep.

Chapter 8

Scene: Twilight, int. Amy’s apartment. Amy stands over Gris, who is still sleeping on the couch. She’s wearing the same dress and cardigan she wore on Valentine’s Day.

Amy: Get up, we’re leaving.

Gris: Oh, is it time to go to Sheldon’s?

Amy: It’s time to ME to go to Sheldon’s, and for YOU to move along to wherever it is the wind takes you next.

Gris: The… wind? (groaning) Ugh… you talked to Sheldon… how?

Amy: well, you killed my phone and internet, but one can always count on the kindness of strangers at the corner Starbucks.

Gris: You left me here alone in your apartment? That was ballsy of you.

Amy: I made sure you were sound asleep before I left. And then I drew mustaches and horns on all your tattoos.

Gris: Really? Good one! I’ll have to remember that on… wait… ALL of them?

Amy: I’m quite sure.

Gris: You’re funny. Old Yeller doesn’t deserve you.

Amy: I’ll be the judge of that. But before I send you of… phone, please.

Amy extends her arm and glares at Gris defiantly. She looks back, bemused and not the least bit intimidated.

Gris: Okay, here it is (takes Amy’s phone out of her backpack and hands it to her). But I AM going with you.

Amy: Oh, I don’t think so. Sheldon doesn’t want to see you.

Gris: Of course he doesn’t, but you deserve to know who I am.

Amy: Yes, and I will ask HIM.

Gris: (snorting) Trust me, he won’t tell you the first damn part of it unless I’m there to nudge him along. 

• Like 1

I'm having SO much fun writing this xD and I love to hear your nice comments about my work :3 

Anyway, here's a two-in-one chapter. This was hard to write because Amy is my fave TBBT character. Writing her well means a lot to me :p

Chapter 7

Scene: Daytime, int. Amy’s apartment. Gris is sitting on the couch. On the coffee table in front of her is a glass of water and Amy’s handbag, into which she is tossing back Amy’s phone. Amy emerges from her room with a bad case of bed hair.

Gris: Oh, don’t mention it, when a girl needs to let loose that’s just all there is to it.

Gris: Oh, he and I go way back… WAY back. If he never mentioned me I guess he just wanted to keep me hidden from all knowledge by the… new people in his life.

Amy’s home phone rings. Confused, hung over and visibly upset, Amy goes to pick it up.

Amy: Um… three. Yeah, two pair… Definitely the hot pink with the garters. (To Gris) I’m gonna take this inside, a friend of mine’s getting married and consulting me about wedding night fashions.

Amy: What the hell’s the matter Sheldon? Who is this girl and why do you have me talking to you in code? Well… no, she just showed up like half an hour ago… What? My phone hasn’t rung all morning! What?! Okay, calm down. NO! DO NOT HANG UP! Tell me if she’s dangerous!

Sheldon: Amy! Amy! You calm down! I’m coming home, you need to get rid of her, just please, whatever you do, don’t talk to her! She’s not dangerous, just... Don’t trust her! Amy! No matter what she tells you, just remember I…

Amy comes back into the main room just as Gris is quickly settling back into the couch.

Amy: It’s weird, my phone got disconnected… (goes over to the coffee table to retrieve her handbag and roots around in it for a few seconds before Gris interjects)

Gris: Oh, please, you’re about as bad at lying as he is. I know he probably blew his top when you told him I’m here. I was a huge part of his life growing up, but now I’m just something he swept under the rug. Sad part is, I never would have thought he was capable of something like that.

Gris: Were… are… I think he needs to tell you that himself. I’ll be surprised if he can summon enough cojones, though. Just another thing you should know about him, not big on the courage department. Or maybe you already know.

Amy: Look… um… Gris… I think you should leave now. Sheldon’s on his way back and I’m certain we can settle this discussion another day.

Gris: Nah, I suck at waiting. We’ll do this; I know you don’t feel comfortable talking to me, sooo… I’m gonna take a nice nap, sleep off some of the kinks, and then we’ll take this battle to neutral ground: Sheldon’s apartment.

Gris: I just know I hadn’t seen Sheldon in seventeen years, and he managed to scorn me during our most recent meeting. Stuff’s going down.

Gris lies down on the couch and pulls the afghan over herself, right before a very disconcerted Amy.

Chapter 8

Scene: Twilight, int. Amy’s apartment. Amy stands over Gris, who is still sleeping on the couch. She’s wearing the same dress and cardigan she wore on Valentine’s Day.

Amy: It’s time to ME to go to Sheldon’s, and for YOU to move along to wherever it is the wind takes you next.

Amy: well, you killed my phone and internet, but one can always count on the kindness of strangers at the corner Starbucks.

Amy: I made sure you were sound asleep before I left. And then I drew mustaches and horns on all your tattoos.

Amy extends her arm and glares at Gris defiantly. She looks back, bemused and not the least bit intimidated.

Gris: Okay, here it is (takes Amy’s phone out of her backpack and hands it to her). But I AM going with you.

Gris: (snorting) Trust me, he won’t tell you the first damn part of it unless I’m there to nudge him along. 

Good one! I really really like that Amy! :)

CHAPTER 9

Shot: exterior, evening. Gris and Amy in Amy’s car. Amy looks unhappy about Gris being in the car.

Gris: Don’t worry, Sheldon won’t be mad at you.

Amy: Why would I think he’d be mad at me?

Gris: For bringing me along. Well he’ll act mad at first, but he’ll thank you in the long run. Actually… no, I don’t have the first clue how anything will turn out, I just know things deserve to be known, truths deserve to be said… Chips needs to either piss or get off the pot.

Amy: Chips?

Gris: yeah, funny story, there was this one time when we were thirteen, my mom was taking Sheldon and me to the movies and I was just snacking on this big bag of corn chips. So then Sheldon reaches over from the back seat to get some chips at the exact moment my mom hits the break for some dog crossing the street and then there was a shriek, a horrified scream, and my mom turns and Sheldon’s there, face beet red, holding his hand like it’s gonna fall off, and I’m sitting in the passenger seat, shocked and crossing my arms over my chest…

Amy: Oh, dear God…

Gris: No, wait, here’s the funny part, all Sheldon can say is “I just wanted some chips!”. It was hysterical.

Amy: So you guys were what? Childhood friends?

Gris: We met when we were 4. So yeah, we spent a lot of time together. Like I said, you can ask him what we were… are…

Amy: So what’s your intention in confronting him now?

Gris: Told you, I want stuff to be cleared out. I don’t like that he seems to have erased me from his life. I want to know what’s up with that.

Amy: Well, did YOU ever try to contact him?

Gris: For a while. I got the idea that he was too busy with his work to keep in touch with me. That’s what I thought at first, anyway. Then I got caught up in my own life and carried on, but I never forgot about him. Part of me thought he’d be married by now, a smart guy with a full life.

Amy: So you guys weren’t… romantically involved?

Gris: I don’t think I’m the one who needs to answer that. You ask a lot of questions Amy, now it’s my turn.

Amy: What do you want to know?

Gris: I don’t know… This is a nice car… What kind of car does Sheldon drive?

Amy: He doesn’t drive.

Gris: WHAT?! Did he really never get over that?

Amy: Get over what?

Gris: He crashed a box car we made. It was a little too… juiced up. He insisted the turbines were perfectly safe. What did he know? He was six. Anyway he broke his foot, and my arm. And gave me a concussion. I’ve blamed him for my lack of focus ever since.

Amy: You made a box car for two?

Gris: No, it was a one-seater. Why are we back to you asking the questions?

Amy: I’m sorry, it’s just… Sheldon hardly ever talks about his childhood. This is all new to me.

Gris: The reason is that he probably can’t summon a childhood memory that doesn’t have to do with me.

Amy frowns and drives in silence for the last stretch of the trip. She parks the car in front of Sheldon’s apartment building.

Amy: well, here we are.

Gris: Yep. Let the games begin.

Chapter 10

Int. Sheldon/Leonard’s apartment, later that same evening. Gris is sitting on a stool in front of the kitchen island, having a beer. Leonard, Penny, Raj, Bernardette and Howard are crowding around her and listening to her stories with a mix of fascination and disbelief. She is finishing off a story as the scene opens.

Gris: No, no, so then he collected a favor from a couple of jocks he did homework for, and had them hold him up to the high windows of the detention room, one guy grabbing him by the shoulders, the other one by the legs, and then walked across the length of the windows and he made like a swimming stroke and it looked like he was swimming on air, you know?

Penny: That’s just incredible, Sheldon did that?

Gris: Yeah, you can imagine how the whole room broke into fits of laughter. Then for good measure he had the jocks carry him back doing a backstroke, but when the teacher opened the door they just dropped him and ran. After a quick trip to the nurse he got to spend the rest of the day in detention with me.

Leonard: I just still can’t get over the fact that he’s never mentioned you. It seems like you were the best of friends.

Gris: Well when you’re young and you find someone you have so much in common with, you tend to stick together.

Sheldon enters the apartment.

Sheldon: Hi everyone, I’m home.

Everyone crowds around him and welcome him back. Leonard and Penny hug him, the rest of them keep their distance but smile and greet him. Sheldon greets them cooly.

Sheldon: Where’s Amy?

Penny: She’s in my apartment; she says she needs to talk to you in private. But hey, here’s Gris, she’s been telling us all these great stories about your childhood.

Howard: Or at least about the childhood of someone she claims to be you. (to Gris) This is OUR Sheldon, you sure yours is the same guy?

Gris: Yep, the very same. Hello again, Sheldon. You wanna try to have another go at this whole “haven’t seen you in seventeen years” conversation thing?

Sheldon: (oddly composed) Yes. I’m sorry for the way I behaved in the train. I also should have tried harder to keep in touch with you.

Gris: Apology accepted. I hope we can stay in touch from now on. We have a lot of things to clear up.

Sheldon: We do. Now if you need a ride to the nearest bus or train station, Leonard here can give you a ride.

Gris: I’m not going anywhere.

Sheldon: (completely losing his cool façade) Oh, COME ON! You have to go now! Please!

Gris: Go work things out with your girlfriend, then you and I can talk.

• Like 1

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

This is getting very interesting!  Can't wait to read what happens next.

CHAPTER 9

Shot: exterior, evening. Gris and Amy in Amy’s car. Amy looks unhappy about Gris being in the car.

Gris: Don’t worry, Sheldon won’t be mad at you.

Amy: Why would I think he’d be mad at me?

Gris: For bringing me along. Well he’ll act mad at first, but he’ll thank you in the long run. Actually… no, I don’t have the first clue how anything will turn out, I just know things deserve to be known, truths deserve to be said… Chips needs to either piss or get off the pot.

Amy: Chips?

Gris: yeah, funny story, there was this one time when we were thirteen, my mom was taking Sheldon and me to the movies and I was just snacking on this big bag of corn chips. So then Sheldon reaches over from the back seat to get some chips at the exact moment my mom hits the break for some dog crossing the street and then there was a shriek, a horrified scream, and my mom turns and Sheldon’s there, face beet red, holding his hand like it’s gonna fall off, and I’m sitting in the passenger seat, shocked and crossing my arms over my chest…

Amy: Oh, dear God…

Gris: No, wait, here’s the funny part, all Sheldon can say is “I just wanted some chips!”. It was hysterical.

Amy: So you guys were what? Childhood friends?

Gris: We met when we were 4. So yeah, we spent a lot of time together. Like I said, you can ask him what we were… are…

Amy: So what’s your intention in confronting him now?

Gris: Told you, I want stuff to be cleared out. I don’t like that he seems to have erased me from his life. I want to know what’s up with that.

Amy: Well, did YOU ever try to contact him?

Gris: For a while. I got the idea that he was too busy with his work to keep in touch with me. That’s what I thought at first, anyway. Then I got caught up in my own life and carried on, but I never forgot about him. Part of me thought he’d be married by now, a smart guy with a full life.

Amy: So you guys weren’t… romantically involved?

Gris: I don’t think I’m the one who needs to answer that. You ask a lot of questions Amy, now it’s my turn.

Amy: What do you want to know?

Gris: I don’t know… This is a nice car… What kind of car does Sheldon drive?

Amy: He doesn’t drive.

Gris: WHAT?! Did he really never get over that?

Amy: Get over what?

Gris: He crashed a box car we made. It was a little too… juiced up. He insisted the turbines were perfectly safe. What did he know? He was six. Anyway he broke his foot, and my arm. And gave me a concussion. I’ve blamed him for my lack of focus ever since.

Amy: You made a box car for two?

Gris: No, it was a one-seater. Why are we back to you asking the questions?

Amy: I’m sorry, it’s just… Sheldon hardly ever talks about his childhood. This is all new to me.

Gris: The reason is that he probably can’t summon a childhood memory that doesn’t have to do with me.

Amy frowns and drives in silence for the last stretch of the trip. She parks the car in front of Sheldon’s apartment building.

Amy: well, here we are.

Gris: Yep. Let the games begin.

Chapter 10

Int. Sheldon/Leonard’s apartment, later that same evening. Gris is sitting on a stool in front of the kitchen island, having a beer. Leonard, Penny, Raj, Bernardette and Howard are crowding around her and listening to her stories with a mix of fascination and disbelief. She is finishing off a story as the scene opens.

Gris: No, no, so then he collected a favor from a couple of jocks he did homework for, and had them hold him up to the high windows of the detention room, one guy grabbing him by the shoulders, the other one by the legs, and then walked across the length of the windows and he made like a swimming stroke and it looked like he was swimming on air, you know?

Penny: That’s just incredible, Sheldon did that?

Gris: Yeah, you can imagine how the whole room broke into fits of laughter. Then for good measure he had the jocks carry him back doing a backstroke, but when the teacher opened the door they just dropped him and ran. After a quick trip to the nurse he got to spend the rest of the day in detention with me.

Leonard: I just still can’t get over the fact that he’s never mentioned you. It seems like you were the best of friends.

Gris: Well when you’re young and you find someone you have so much in common with, you tend to stick together.

Sheldon enters the apartment.

Sheldon: Hi everyone, I’m home.

Everyone crowds around him and welcome him back. Leonard and Penny hug him, the rest of them keep their distance but smile and greet him. Sheldon greets them cooly.

Sheldon: Where’s Amy?

Penny: She’s in my apartment; she says she needs to talk to you in private. But hey, here’s Gris, she’s been telling us all these great stories about your childhood.

Howard: Or at least about the childhood of someone she claims to be you. (to Gris) This is OUR Sheldon, you sure yours is the same guy?

Gris: Yep, the very same. Hello again, Sheldon. You wanna try to have another go at this whole “haven’t seen you in seventeen years” conversation thing?

Sheldon: (oddly composed) Yes. I’m sorry for the way I behaved in the train. I also should have tried harder to keep in touch with you.

Gris: Apology accepted. I hope we can stay in touch from now on. We have a lot of things to clear up.

Sheldon: We do. Now if you need a ride to the nearest bus or train station, Leonard here can give you a ride.

Gris: I’m not going anywhere.

Sheldon: (completely losing his cool façade) Oh, COME ON! You have to go now! Please!

Gris: Go work things out with your girlfriend, then you and I can talk.

Okay, now I'm not liking this Gris character too much.  She seems a little too pushy, and I'm no longer sure what her angle is, but this is creating an interesting back story for Sheldon, so I'll stick with it.

Well, there was just no way to avoid this turning a bit soapy, but I still posit this is a genuine possibility for what could have made Sheldon go coo-coo

The truth is finally known...

CHAPTER 10

Sheldon: Alright Gris, what’s it going to take?

Gris: Here, walk with me. Excuse us, please.

Gris leads Sheldon out of the apartment into the hallway.

Gris: Why do you think I’m here to screw you over? As far as I remember we did not part ways on a bad note. I’m hurt by the way you talked to me, and by how you have apparently erased me from your life. And I’m not going to let you do the same to that poor girl, and the way things are going, I’m sure you will.

Sheldon: I dealt with things the best I could back then. It’s all I could do not to go crazy, and not just cute crazy the way I am now, but tied to a tree in the backyard eating dried corn kernels from my beard crazy.

Gris: Well, let’s clear things up then, let’s get everything out in the open, let the old meet the new and see what shakes loose.

Sheldon: I need you to go now; I promise I will contact you when things settle here. You still fail to see how your impulsiveness and your inexplicable thirst for drama just complicate everything.

Gris: I’ll go when I’m good and ready. Now go talk to your girl pal.

Sheldon: (standing his ground) I will, once I send you away.

Gris: Fine… have it your way…

Gris takes a step back toward the stairs, but as soon as she sees Sheldon relax, she sprints past him into Penny’s apartment and shuts the door behind her. Then, leaning back against the door, starts saying very loudly to a very shocked Amy sitting on the couch.

Gris: Sheldon’s ashamed of me, we have known each other for nearly thirty years and I know more about him than anyone else in the world. I shared everything with him and he just LEFT me, he threw me aside like an old rag when I became too much of an inconvenience. I.. AM… SHELDON’S…

Sheldon has been knocking on the door and begging Gris to stop during this entire time. As Gris is shouting the last few words we can only hear them from the other side of the door. Gris’s monologue is cut short by a slapping sound. Then Gris opens the door to a very shocked Sheldon, holding her cheek and stepping away from a very obviously fed up Amy.

Gris: All yours. (to Amy) I hope you saved some of that for him.

CHAPTER 11

Amy and Sheldon are sitting in Penny’s living room drinking tea.

Amy: This is quite disconcerting. I had spent weeks going over possible scenarios for how it would be when we met again, but this is certainly nothing I could have imagined.

Sheldon: I know, I’m sorry.

Amy: Why are you sorry? You didn’t send her here.

Sheldon: I reacted poorly to seeing Gris again after so long. I should have known better. But mostly I’m sorry for putting you through the angst of dealing with her. I know she can be pretty terrifying.

Amy: is that why she was your friend? Because she’s so terrifying?

Sheldon: In part. She’s the only reason I ever made it through childhood without being wedgied in half.

Amy: I don’t want to push the issue, but I’d just really like to know about her. She keeps saying you guys were, and are, something.

Sheldon: Gris is a deceitful character, Amy. She is a dilettante. Her IQ is not really comparable to mine, but it is higher range, and she is at the same time cursed and blessed with a total lack of self-awareness and a non-existent sense of responsibility. She was just another bully when I first met her, we were both being considered for skipping kindergarten, although in her case it was mostly because the teachers didn’t want to deal with her anymore.

Amy: So you guys became fast friends?

Sheldon: Not at all, I was just another kid for her to torment at first. She’s the one who coined the term “Shelly Cooper is a smelly pooper”.

Amy: Really? No wait, of course she did. So how did you guys become friends?

Sheldon: It was after my pop pop died. I was devastated and she, having no dad in the picture and no family close to her other than her mom, apparently sympathized deeply with my plight and thereafter took me under her wing. I was able to keep her focused enough to pull through lower education with me, and she kept up remarkably well. Then, we graduated high school, I left for Europe, she stayed behind, I never saw her again. The end.

Amy: I won’t push you if you don’t want to talk about this now, Sheldon, I know you’re tired and these last few days have been difficult. Bu we WILL have to talk about this eventually.

Sheldon: No, alright, you deserve to know. Amy, precious few people in my life know this. She’s not going away until you know. I’d rather you hear it from me.

Amy: Okay, are you sure?

Sheldon: Yes. Amy… Gris was my best friend, my only friend. My parents never took to her, but I always chalked it up to the fact she was born to a woman who sinned. There was no other explanation I could think of, we were perfectly similar in enough ways, both superior intellects, both held the rest of society in contempt, both rather unfortunately named… My father was constantly telling me how she was such a bad influence, that she was a distraction… Then I would act out by getting closer to her. In hindsight, I should have noticed how being her friend was driving a wedge in our family.

Amy: what do you mean?

Sheldon: My parents started fighting right around the time I first introduced them to Gris. I didn’t make the connection back then, I was just happy I had a friend to turn to when my parents lashed out, or when my dad started drinking every day, just a few at first, then a bit more and more as time went by. My mom broke her fall by diving head first into religion, but on the inside it was easy to tell they were both pretty miserable. They kept up a good front most of the time, but I could never figure out why two people would ever CHOOSE to do that to each other; to keep up a farce for the sake of appearing to be a perfect family.

Amy: I’m sure they did it for you and your siblings.

Sheldon: I know that NOW, it was not so obvious back then when I was neck-deep in studies and trying to keep Gris from being kicked out of school. She made three English Lit teachers quit just during sophomore year… one of them had to apply for disability. When I received the invitation to study abroad my father kept saying he couldn’t afford to send me, even though most of my expenses would be taken care of by the university. I knew the real reason was because he knew once he let me go I would never come back. It was during this time that I became… confused about my feelings for Gris.

Amy: (choking) Con…fused? Like, how? You loved her?

Sheldon: I thought I did. Now I think I was just in pain at the realization that I would be going where she couldn’t follow anymore. Her mother couldn’t afford to send her abroad, and although her academic achievements were stellar, no university would take a chance on her, being as fickle and unpredictable as she was. Anyway, my father caught me on the porch with her one night, I was… trying to get something out of Gris’s eye… he misread my intentions.  The very next day the funds for me to go abroad were magically produced.

Amy: Sounds like your father was very invested in keeping you two apart. Did you ever figure out why?

Sheldon: I did. My father died of a heart attack while I was away. I came back to attend the funeral. I kept looking for Gris there. My brother and sister had to pull me aside to stop me from making a fool of myself. They told me she had moved… to Arizona. To a house that had been in the Cooper family for three generations… that my dad had left to her and her mom in his will.

Amy: Oh my God… you mean you and Gris are…?

Sheldon: You can’t even begin to imagine how humiliated I was. Especially since everyone had seen us go as Luke and Leia for Halloween not three years before. This made even worse by the fact that I HAD an actual twin sister who wouldn’t have been caught dead playing Leia to my Luke. But, to answer the question you dare not utter, yes, Griselda is my half sister.

• Like 1

Well, there was just no way to avoid this turning a bit soapy, but I still posit this is a genuine possibility for what could have made Sheldon go coo-coo

The truth is finally known...

CHAPTER 10

Sheldon: Alright Gris, what’s it going to take?

Gris: Here, walk with me. Excuse us, please.

Gris leads Sheldon out of the apartment into the hallway.

Gris: Why do you think I’m here to screw you over? As far as I remember we did not part ways on a bad note. I’m hurt by the way you talked to me, and by how you have apparently erased me from your life. And I’m not going to let you do the same to that poor girl, and the way things are going, I’m sure you will.

Sheldon: I dealt with things the best I could back then. It’s all I could do not to go crazy, and not just cute crazy the way I am now, but tied to a tree in the backyard eating dried corn kernels from my beard crazy.

Gris: Well, let’s clear things up then, let’s get everything out in the open, let the old meet the new and see what shakes loose.

Sheldon: I need you to go now; I promise I will contact you when things settle here. You still fail to see how your impulsiveness and your inexplicable thirst for drama just complicate everything.

Gris: I’ll go when I’m good and ready. Now go talk to your girl pal.

Sheldon: (standing his ground) I will, once I send you away.

Gris: Fine… have it your way…

Gris takes a step back toward the stairs, but as soon as she sees Sheldon relax, she sprints past him into Penny’s apartment and shuts the door behind her. Then, leaning back against the door, starts saying very loudly to a very shocked Amy sitting on the couch.

Gris: Sheldon’s ashamed of me, we have known each other for nearly thirty years and I know more about him than anyone else in the world. I shared everything with him and he just LEFT me, he threw me aside like an old rag when I became too much of an inconvenience. I.. AM… SHELDON’S…

Sheldon has been knocking on the door and begging Gris to stop during this entire time. As Gris is shouting the last few words we can only hear them from the other side of the door. Gris’s monologue is cut short by a slapping sound. Then Gris opens the door to a very shocked Sheldon, holding her cheek and stepping away from a very obviously fed up Amy.

Gris: All yours. (to Amy) I hope you saved some of that for him.

CHAPTER 11

Amy and Sheldon are sitting in Penny’s living room drinking tea.

Amy: This is quite disconcerting. I had spent weeks going over possible scenarios for how it would be when we met again, but this is certainly nothing I could have imagined.

Sheldon: I know, I’m sorry.

Amy: Why are you sorry? You didn’t send her here.

Sheldon: I reacted poorly to seeing Gris again after so long. I should have known better. But mostly I’m sorry for putting you through the angst of dealing with her. I know she can be pretty terrifying.

Amy: is that why she was your friend? Because she’s so terrifying?

Sheldon: In part. She’s the only reason I ever made it through childhood without being wedgied in half.

Amy: I don’t want to push the issue, but I’d just really like to know about her. She keeps saying you guys were, and are, something.

Sheldon: Gris is a deceitful character, Amy. She is a dilettante. Her IQ is not really comparable to mine, but it is higher range, and she is at the same time cursed and blessed with a total lack of self-awareness and a non-existent sense of responsibility. She was just another bully when I first met her, we were both being considered for skipping kindergarten, although in her case it was mostly because the teachers didn’t want to deal with her anymore.

Amy: So you guys became fast friends?

Sheldon: Not at all, I was just another kid for her to torment at first. She’s the one who coined the term “Shelly Cooper is a smelly pooper”.

Amy: Really? No wait, of course she did. So how did you guys become friends?

Sheldon: It was after my pop pop died. I was devastated and she, having no dad in the picture and no family close to her other than her mom, apparently sympathized deeply with my plight and thereafter took me under her wing. I was able to keep her focused enough to pull through lower education with me, and she kept up remarkably well. Then, we graduated high school, I left for Europe, she stayed behind, I never saw her again. The end.

Amy: I won’t push you if you don’t want to talk about this now, Sheldon, I know you’re tired and these last few days have been difficult. Bu we WILL have to talk about this eventually.

Sheldon: No, alright, you deserve to know. Amy, precious few people in my life know this. She’s not going away until you know. I’d rather you hear it from me.

Amy: Okay, are you sure?

Sheldon: Yes. Amy… Gris was my best friend, my only friend. My parents never took to her, but I always chalked it up to the fact she was born to a woman who sinned. There was no other explanation I could think of, we were perfectly similar in enough ways, both superior intellects, both held the rest of society in contempt, both rather unfortunately named… My father was constantly telling me how she was such a bad influence, that she was a distraction… Then I would act out by getting closer to her. In hindsight, I should have noticed how being her friend was driving a wedge in our family.

Amy: what do you mean?

Sheldon: My parents started fighting right around the time I first introduced them to Gris. I didn’t make the connection back then, I was just happy I had a friend to turn to when my parents lashed out, or when my dad started drinking every day, just a few at first, then a bit more and more as time went by. My mom broke her fall by diving head first into religion, but on the inside it was easy to tell they were both pretty miserable. They kept up a good front most of the time, but I could never figure out why two people would ever CHOOSE to do that to each other; to keep up a farce for the sake of appearing to be a perfect family.

Amy: I’m sure they did it for you and your siblings.

Sheldon: I know that NOW, it was not so obvious back then when I was neck-deep in studies and trying to keep Gris from being kicked out of school. She made three English Lit teachers quit just during sophomore year… one of them had to apply for disability. When I received the invitation to study abroad my father kept saying he couldn’t afford to send me, even though most of my expenses would be taken care of by the university. I knew the real reason was because he knew once he let me go I would never come back. It was during this time that I became… confused about my feelings for Gris.

Amy: (choking) Con…fused? Like, how? You loved her?

Sheldon: I thought I did. Now I think I was just in pain at the realization that I would be going where she couldn’t follow anymore. Her mother couldn’t afford to send her abroad, and although her academic achievements were stellar, no university would take a chance on her, being as fickle and unpredictable as she was. Anyway, my father caught me on the porch with her one night, I was… trying to get something out of Gris’s eye… he misread my intentions.  The very next day the funds for me to go abroad were magically produced.

Amy: Sounds like your father was very invested in keeping you two apart. Did you ever figure out why?

Sheldon: I did. My father died of a heart attack while I was away. I came back to attend the funeral. I kept looking for Gris there. My brother and sister had to pull me aside to stop me from making a fool of myself. They told me she had moved… to Arizona. To a house that had been in the Cooper family for three generations… that my dad had left to her and her mom in his will.

Amy: Oh my God… you mean you and Gris are…?

Sheldon: You can’t even begin to imagine how humiliated I was. Especially since everyone had seen us go as Luke and Leia for Halloween not three years before. This made even worse by the fact that I HAD an actual twin sister who wouldn’t have been caught dead playing Leia to my Luke. But, to answer the question you dare not utter, yes, Griselda is my half sister.

Wow!  That is some pretty powerful stuff, and you're right; it would definitely explain much of Sheldon's psychological make-up and his fears of being intimate with others.  I have to admit, I had not seen that coming, but it does make for an interesting twist to the story and to drive the plot forward. Looking forward to more!