What Character Or " Thing " Annoys You ?

AceMackenzie9

I don't think that Sheldon's intention was to physically hurt Leonard though, just to cause him some annoyance in order to make him feel the way he does every day due to being annoyed by seemingly ordinary things. The only reason why Leonard was wearing the sweater for days is because Howard egged on the whole thing. Leonard is the one who decided to wear the sweater rather than just ignoring Sheldon and is the one who decided to wear up until the point it was causing him physical pain to make a point when he could have just take it off, which is the reason Sheldon didn't seem to care. They both went too far and acted immature in the said situation. The episode was a way to shoe how far can simple argument between the two adults go if both of them happen to be very stubborn at one point for one reason or another and how a friendship can get shaken and/or stained due to trivial things.

I have to disagree, even when Leonard said enough and took it off, Sheldon was still suggesting Leonard go to Eastern Europe to find the mans family with no sympathy for the obvious pain Leonard was in. He had planned that pain for Leonard for years and you could see him basking in it. Amy's shocked expression and comment in the end even support that she had never seen that side of Sheldon before.

I have to disagree, even when Leonard said enough and took it off, Sheldon was still suggesting Leonard go to Eastern Europe to find the mans family with no sympathy for the obvious pain Leonard was in. He had planned that pain for Leonard for years and you could see him basking in it. Amy's shocked expression and comment in the end even support that she had never seen that side of Sheldon before.

Sheldon's statement about waiting for his revenge for years was, like other posters had noticed, almost certainly false, something that he said to add more weight on his argument, it is more likely that he really did find DVD after seven years and then came up with the plan. Although able to tell lies when they are well constructed and make sense, it was established multiple times that Sheldon is terrible at keeping secrets. Also, when he put the snake in Raj's drawer, he couldn't wait and demanded Raj to open it right away.

Amy's statement and reaction could also be due to her surprise about such a big deal being made over such trivial matter, Sheldon waiting for years to teach Leonard the lesson etc. Sheldon accidently reminding her of her sexual frustration added to it.

Sheldon was a jerk because he should have had more empathy towards his friend and he shouldn't have tried to teach him a lesson that way. Howard was a jerk because he egged on the whole thing. It was a part of Leonard's fault too, although not a big one, because he could have easily refused to put on the sweater and take it off before he started feeling real physical pain. But that doesn't make Sheldon or Howard monsters, it does not make Leonard stupid, it just explores darker manifestacions of their already known character traits, it was a dark-humored character study in form of an episode so to say and although Sheldon crossed the line and should have apologized it doesn't mean that Leonard should cut all ties with him or that Sheldon doesn't give a damn about Leonard or makes what he did an unforgivable sin.

We could also blame Penny, she saw what it was doing to Leonard and her response was to be sarcastic and take a picture. Her character basically can get Leonard to do what she wants so she should have stripped it off him and destroyed it, after all she is suppose to love him.

Also remember I said the way Sheldon acts annoys me because him getting away with so much stuff is extremely unrealistic.

@mislav

For me what sheldon did was well out of order. Waiting 7 years for revenge & see your so called best friend in so much pain & doing nothing to stop it. That evil and unforgiveable. ex friend in my book. I could never watch a friend suffer like that, I would have called it off the minute he was in distress & in pain. Sorry you keep defending sheldon & making excuses even tho the evidence is right in your face.

Edited by Tonstar17

@mislav

For me what sheldon did was well out of order. Waiting 7 years for revenge & see your so called best friend in so much pain & doing nothing to stop it. That evil and unforgiveable. ex friend in my book. I could never watch a friend suffer like that, I would have called it off the minute he was in distress & in pain. Sorry you keep defending sheldon & making excuses even tho the evidence is right in your face.

I never denied that what Sheldon did was wring and actually admitted that he was a jerk in that case and that he was out of line and should have apologized, I just disagree with the fact that Leonard should cut all ties with him afterward. Also it is very unlikely that he actually waited for seven years to get his revenge comparing to his previous behaviour and obviously if Leonard is still friends with him it is not something that makes Sheldon a monster or a person who never gives a damn about Leonard. On contray to what people think, Leonard doesn't put up with Sheldon as much, he actually moved out of apartment for a while after an argument, and Sheldon actually gets called out on his behaviour a lot when needed.

And yes although some things regarding Sheldon come off as unrealistic that doesn't bother me as much because many situations in that show are unrealistic. For example "The Lizard-Spock Expansion". We are supposed to believe that nobody found out that Howard messed with Mars rover? If he was reported to human resources multiple times wouldn't somebody suspect him? They don't have security cameras there? And are we also supposed to believe that him messing with it accidently lead to big scientific discovery? I mean please.

The writers did say 7 yrs so that's what I am going with. I think the sooner he moved out the better. Maybe then sheldon will appreciate him more.

With Howard Mars rover incident, that was supposed to be funny & it was. What sheldon did was not funny, don't know why the writers though it would be. You can't compare the two, one was funny & the other distressing to watch. I can't watch that episode ever again as it just horrible.

• Like 1

@mislav

It's not evidence when it isn't a fact, it's your opinion.

You would have broken of with Sheldon the minute he was in distress (you probably wouldn't stay friends with Sheldon for 7+ years), but Leonard did.

Sheldon took it to far, but so did Leonard.

He could have walked away at any time, but he was determined to proof Sheldon that you could be bothered by something and not let it get to you.

Neither one was completely right, or completely wrong.

You would have broken of with Sheldon the minute he was in distress (you probably wouldn't stay friends with Sheldon for 7+ years), but Leonard did.

He could have walked away at any time, but he was determined to proof Sheldon that you could be bothered by something and not let it get to you.

Agreed! Although I still think that, although that doesn't make him a monster or something, Sheldon was more in wrong than Leonard.

I think you missed my point. What I was trying to say is he waited 7 yrs for his revenge. With friends like that, who needs enemies. (who does that for a dvd) I am sorry, if that was real life Leonard would have been out of there years ago before that horrible incident happened. Yes my opinion.

The Top Five Things that currently annoy me about TBBT #4   

Leonard (The Good Guy): Leonard is supposed to represent the good guy underdog, trying to overcome his socially awkward ways, and his friends. His emotional issues can be traced back to when he was a child repeatedly being experimented on by his mother (a nationally known psychoanalyst) and left Leonard growing up in a world knowing nobody really loved him. Because of this he is determined to find a pretty girlfriend who will give him smart & beautiful babies so he can have the normal life he so desperately craves. Unfortunately, TPTB decided to take a sympathetic character and make him a horn dog that drools over, falls in love, and has sex with any female at the drop of a hat…..any hat. (Even while proclaiming his undying love for Penny) To make it even more confusing, TPTB decided to make Leonard a passive-aggressive, manipulative jerk. Leonard will say and do anything to get what he wants (especially when it comes to Penny) which leads you to start wondering when is he’s telling the truth and when he’s lying to keep Penny in his life. TPTB have also decided that he’ll face no consequences for most of his bad decisions, but in fact, will be rewarded in his personal and professional life for betraying the people he calls friends. Let’s look at some of his “indiscretions”:

* Stolen rocket fuel to impress a girl who turned out to be a North Korean spy. (Got away with it)

* Blew up the elevator using illegally the stolen rocket fuel. I know some will say that was technically Sheldon, but if Leonard hadn’t been showing off to Howard & Raj and actually put it back after having such a close call with Joyce Kim, Sheldon wouldn’t have had to quickly think about a way to save their lives. (Got away with it)

* Conspired with Howard & Raj to knowingly falsify another scientist’s work while on a NSF funded expedition Interesting side note, if you look up NSF Grant fraud, motives include: Conflict of Interest, Recent project failure associated with a specific individuals, Personal animosity or professional jealousy. (Got away with it, convinced Sheldon it was really all his fault, and was rewarded for this behavior by “sealing the deal” with Penny)

* Went into Penny’s computer and rewrote her History paper (Penny gets mad & doesn’t talk to him for a couple days)

* Showed the naked video of Penny from her “movie” to a ship full of relative strangers, just to brag that he’s dating a “hot” girl (Got away with it) this one is particularly awful since he knows how Penny feels about men “sharing” details about relationships (Season 1 – The Tangerine Factor) and I have a feeling that Penny (at least the non-drunk Penny) would go Jr Rodeo on him and he would have to worry about more than his iPod being thrown out the window.

* Forgets to return a video (Sheldon makes him wear an itchy sweater until the video is returned or paid for). I’ll talk about this punishment in my Sheldon post.

* Doesn’t support his girlfriend after her part gets cut (apologizes, begs her not to dump him or he’ll cry. Penny ends up saying he was right and the fight was her fault). Doesn’t support his girlfriend when she decides that she needs to give 100% to becoming an actress (Pretends to support her, but doesn’t) Gets caught that he doesn’t support her (tries to make it her fault for not talking to him before making a big change, Both know they aren’t on the same page in the relationship, but Sheldon interrupts them solving anything & by next episode, it’s like it never happened)

* Leonard butts in where he doesn’t belong and get Penny fired from her job (rewarded by Penny finally asking him to marry her) For those of you who are going to say, but that was so sweet the way he stuck up for the woman he loves, just think about it this way. I doubt that people would find it so “cute” if Penny told off the President of the University for something he said to Leonard and got him fired.

The thing about a good guy is he’s not perfect, he will make mistakes, but he will take responsibility for it because he knows what he did was wrong and he really wants to make up for what he did (and not just to get in someone’s pants or make an argument go away). Unfortunately, after seven years, we see that Leonard hasn’t really learned anything, not how to talk to his girlfriend, not how to inherently “do the right thing”. (Come on, naked video, really Leonard?) Oh, occasionally we get to see the Leonard that really cares, but mostly we see a pattern of a guy out to get what he wants and he’ll say or do anything to be more renowned then Sheldon academically, (who cares that he has to sabotage an expedition) and for Penny to start popping out those smart & beautiful babies (who cares that she has to be turned into a drunk, he’ll more than willing fill up that glass and manipulate her into feeling stupid and worthless without him).

I hope that in the next season that Leonard really supports Penny by being happy with new job, stops making fun of her drinking (maybe actually get her help) and stops talking to her like she’d be an idiot without him (that Christmas fantasy of her not meeting Sheldon, and therefore Leonard was mean-spirited since he thinks she would be a drooling, piss in her pants idiot if it wasn’t for him (I guess the fact that she only became a stupid drunk AFTER she started dating him should be ignored). If this passive-aggressive, manipulative, guilt giving Leonard stays around what will happen is that Penny and Leonard will get married, she’ll pop out a couple of kids, gain some weight, start drinking as soon as she gets up and Leonard will meet another beautiful girl he’ll end up have sex with cause she “let” him.

• Like 3

Leonard (The Good Guy): Leonard is supposed to represent the good guy underdog, trying to overcome his socially awkward ways, and his friends. His emotional issues can be traced back to when he was a child repeatedly being experimented on by his mother (a nationally known psychoanalyst) and left Leonard growing up in a world knowing nobody really loved him. Because of this he is determined to find a pretty girlfriend who will give him smart & beautiful babies so he can have the normal life he so desperately craves. Unfortunately, TPTB decided to take a sympathetic character and make him a horn dog that drools over, falls in love, and has sex with any female at the drop of a hat…..any hat. (Even while proclaiming his undying love for Penny) To make it even more confusing, TPTB decided to make Leonard a passive-aggressive, manipulative jerk. Leonard will say and do anything to get what he wants (especially when it comes to Penny) which leads you to start wondering when is he’s telling the truth and when he’s lying to keep Penny in his life. TPTB have also decided that he’ll face no consequences for most of his bad decisions, but in fact, will be rewarded in his personal and professional life for betraying the people he calls friends. Let’s look at some of his “indiscretions”:

* Stolen rocket fuel to impress a girl who turned out to be a North Korean spy. (Got away with it)

* Blew up the elevator using illegally the stolen rocket fuel. I know some will say that was technically Sheldon, but if Leonard hadn’t been showing off to Howard & Raj and actually put it back after having such a close call with Joyce Kim, Sheldon wouldn’t have had to quickly think about a way to save their lives. (Got away with it)

* Conspired with Howard & Raj to knowingly falsify another scientist’s work while on a NSF funded expedition Interesting side note, if you look up NSF Grant fraud, motives include: Conflict of Interest, Recent project failure associated with a specific individuals, Personal animosity or professional jealousy. (Got away with it, convinced Sheldon it was really all his fault, and was rewarded for this behavior by “sealing the deal” with Penny)

* Went into Penny’s computer and rewrote her History paper (Penny gets mad & doesn’t talk to him for a couple days)

* Showed the naked video of Penny from her “movie” to a ship full of relative strangers, just to brag that he’s dating a “hot” girl (Got away with it) this one is particularly awful since he knows how Penny feels about men “sharing” details about relationships (Season 1 – The Tangerine Factor) and I have a feeling that Penny (at least the non-drunk Penny) would go Jr Rodeo on him and he would have to worry about more than his iPod being thrown out the window.

* Forgets to return a video (Sheldon makes him wear an itchy sweater until the video is returned or paid for). I’ll talk about this punishment in my Sheldon post.

* Doesn’t support his girlfriend after her part gets cut (apologizes, begs her not to dump him or he’ll cry. Penny ends up saying he was right and the fight was her fault). Doesn’t support his girlfriend when she decides that she needs to give 100% to becoming an actress (Pretends to support her, but doesn’t) Gets caught that he doesn’t support her (tries to make it her fault for not talking to him before making a big change, Both know they aren’t on the same page in the relationship, but Sheldon interrupts them solving anything & by next episode, it’s like it never happened)

* Leonard butts in where he doesn’t belong and get Penny fired from her job (rewarded by Penny finally asking him to marry her) For those of you who are going to say, but that was so sweet the way he stuck up for the woman he loves, just think about it this way. I doubt that people would find it so “cute” if Penny told off the President of the University for something he said to Leonard and got him fired.

The thing about a good guy is he’s not perfect, he will make mistakes, but he will take responsibility for it because he knows what he did was wrong and he really wants to make up for what he did (and not just to get in someone’s pants or make an argument go away). Unfortunately, after seven years, we see that Leonard hasn’t really learned anything, not how to talk to his girlfriend, not how to inherently “do the right thing”. (Come on, naked video, really Leonard?) Oh, occasionally we get to see the Leonard that really cares, but mostly we see a pattern of a guy out to get what he wants and he’ll say or do anything to be more renowned then Sheldon academically, (who cares that he has to sabotage an expedition) and for Penny to start popping out those smart & beautiful babies (who cares that she has to be turned into a drunk, he’ll more than willing fill up that glass and manipulate her into feeling stupid and worthless without him).

I hope that in the next season that Leonard really supports Penny by being happy with new job, stops making fun of her drinking (maybe actually get her help) and stops talking to her like she’d be an idiot without him (that Christmas fantasy of her not meeting Sheldon, and therefore Leonard was mean-spirited since he thinks she would be a drooling, piss in her pants idiot if it wasn’t for him (I guess the fact that she only became a stupid drunk AFTER she started dating him should be ignored). If this passive-aggressive, manipulative, guilt giving Leonard stays around what will happen is that Penny and Leonard will get married, she’ll pop out a couple of kids, gain some weight, start drinking as soon as she gets up and Leonard will meet another beautiful girl he’ll end up have sex with cause she “let” him.

Oh my god. Another leonard hater. You just smash leonard like your name. Waiting for your next victim, oh no, sorry forgot the rest of the characters are all angels. Never gets old with the leonard bashing. HulkSmash leonard... is leonard really a threat to your fantasy. Bless.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

+HulkSmash, I'm writing this in response to your posts #149 and #161 which, just to save space, I haven't included.  (Also, Welcome to the Forums!  Also, thanks for giving an Unspoiled member like me somewhere to post and something to post about!)

I like this topic because it explicitly invites us to express our subjective and arbitrary opinions.  Of course we do that all the time in other topics, but the title of this one makes it clear that it's OK to do so, or at least should be.  From this perspective I can't argue with the sentiments you have (so far) expressed about Penny (in #149) and Leonard (#161).  But, reading them, as well as other comments in this topic has helped me crystallize a subjective and arbitrary opinion of my own, which I will now share with you.  (Generous of me, I know!  :icon_rolleyes: )

What I've come to see is that the producers/writers of this sitcom (TPTB) seem to have deliberately created a, to me, interesting pop culture interaction between those creators and us.  With this show, we are invited to apply our own values to people (the characters in the story) who don't share those values.  We are also invited to pass judgement on these characters, even though the characters seldom do that among themselves.

So, we can see Penny as a "drunk loser" even though there's little sign that any of the characters in the story view her that way.  On the contrary, they tend to treat her with respect and admiration and seldom mention her drinking or her career problems other than as fodder for brief, casual ribbing.  We don't, for example, see anyone pressuring her to get help, or avoiding her company.  Other characters, Leonard and Sheldon in particular, ask her for advice and sometimes take it.  Bernadette and Amy are shown as feeling privileged to be her friend.  And while, those last too have been portrayed as becoming increasingly aggressive about Penny's lack of education there's no sign of any serious rifts in their relationships.

Leonard provides another example for me.  As you point out, he (like just about all the characters) has done some stupid, reprehensible things, but again, there's little sign that any of the characters hold these mistakes against him, or that they don't respect and even love him.  On the contrary, Leonard is shown, and has from the beginning been shown to be the focus of the group, the center around which it revolves.

As I see it, a key to pulling this off is that the writers have created a world in which the constant bungling, sniping and insulting, and the sometimes dangerous pranks that we see don't have much in the way of even medium-term consequences.  In addition, we see a minimum of the passing of judgement among the characters.  They tease and taunt each other, but, with the notable exception of Leonard and Sheldon, and even with them it's short term, we rarely see them condemning each other or threatening to stop associating or valuing each other because of past or current misdeeds or weaknesses.

So, to me, this provokes the question of what justifies our imposing our values and passing our judgement on these characters who live in a world that's only superficially equivalent to ours, a world in fact that has been deliberately constructed to push the boundaries of our morality?  Why should we blame Leonard for getting Penny fired when there's no sign that she, or anyone else on the show does that?  Why should we say that the Leonard's reckless treatment of the rocket fuel is reason to condemn him when none of those who's lives were at stake are shown to do so.  Sheldon has obviously forgiven Leonard, Howard and Raj for making a fool of him and threatening his career.  We never see him mention it again to any of them.  Why then should we condemn them for it?  And so on...

To put it yet another way, TPTB of this show have presented us with a world where consequences of mistakes are slight, where people almost instantly forgive each other for egregious mistakes and transgressions, where insults and humiliations are standard elements of close relationships, where tragedies like abusive childhoods are little more than fodder for frustrated outrage, and do not result in more tragedies like long term depression, drug use or psychosis, and, I think most importantly of all, where the main characters don't pass judgement upon each other.  Yet in many cases our instinctive responses to these same things are heavily weighted toward blaming and judging according to the morals and realities of our world.  I don't think this is an accident on the part of TPTB of this show.  I think this split is part of the shows foundation; a, "Judge not, lest you be judged and good luck with that!", narrative sleight-of-hand.

• Like 2

*It was a prank in a way, and Sheldon would have learned about that if he waited to inform the university about his findings in time. They chose to go while knowing how hard he can be to deal with so they are not completely blameless. But it was mostly Sheldon's fault. We don't know that Leonard initiated it. He actually deals with Sheldon better than Howard and Raj.

*Howard also tampered with Mars rover in order to impress the women. Sheldon tried to keep the Cal Tech mainframe all for himself. Leslie Winkle uses her equitment to make herself breakfast.

*Leonard just wanted to help her, knowing that she was new at that sort of thing, and he wanted her to be off to a good start. Penny actually forced Amy and Bernadette to help her with the paper.

*Both Sheldon and Leonard were in wrong there (Sheldon more so than Leonard) but it was not such a big deal. It was a way to show how simple problems can be blown out of porportion due to certain character flaws and wrong moves.

*Leonard stood up for Penny because the director was being jerk towards her, later Penny and Will stood by him, agreed with him. That's when she got fired. In the end of the episode it is revealed that she wasn't satisfied with that role anyway.

Also Leonard is not a "horn dog". He slept with six women in the course of seven seasons

• Like 2

REALLY. Wow. My sweet PopTart took such a beating. Yeah, he's guilty of some very cringe-worthy behavior, but we know much of the bad stuff is exaggerated for the laughs. IMO, he has deposited more good than bad into the bank account of (sit-com) human relationships. He's been there to help, advise and listen to his friends problems. He took Amy to the wedding. He took Howard to the hospital. He took Sheldon EVERYWHERE. He bought Penny a car. He's been there to love and support Penny even though she has hurt him in the past. He's never been vindictive or mean to her. He was kind and respectful to Prof. Proton, and showed him much love. He treats Mrs. Cooper with love and respect. I think it was a good thing that he had other girl friends when Penny made it very clear she didn't want him. It saved him for being pathetic and moping on the couch forever. A top priority for Leonard has always been to have a loving woman to share his life with. (Not a bad thing.) He always wanted it to be Penny from day one, but when that didn't seem like it could ever happen, he was willing to give it a go with the girls who were attracted to him. He's tried to be a good friend to Sheldon all these years, and Sheldon hasn't made it easy.

As Hilo says, the friends are very forgiving of each others faults, failings and foibles. And in TBBT world, that's a good thing. If they weren't, nobody would be talking to anyone now and it wouldn't be much of a show.

You are surely entitled to your opinion HulkSmash. I look forward to posts #3, #2 and #1. Anxious to see if you hate anyone more than Penny and Leonard.

• Like 8

True. Damn.

Talk about delayed gratification

... LOL.

So....

I am annoyed that we have lost the know-it-all monologues from Sheldon. I like that stuff, because there is nothing I enjoy more than pinning someone down in a space (like the lift at work) where they can't escape from me and then tell them stuff that I think they ought to know. So I miss that reflection of myself. True story. Heheheh.

Also I am annoyed that they are taking so long to show us more family members. And that they don't explain the physics and chemistry of climate change to their captivated audience, stuck in the metaphorical lift with them. Its a big problem. They are scientists, they would have a view because, well... it's the science, stupid. They could have Sheldon deliver a monologue to Penny, all apropos of nothing.

(note. The server bounced this, will resubmit but if it comes up twice blame the server :))

• 1 month later...

Bernadette also really annoys me lately. She is my least favorite character on the show (after Emily, of course).

I don't like or dislike Emily at the moment, we haven't seen enough of her to make up my mind.

Let's first see if she becomes a regular.

But I agree about Bernie, she really starting to come of more bitchy with each episode.

But maybe the writers are doing that for a reason.

What annoys me most is that it took me until just now to realise what a disgusting thing the writers have done with the Amy character.

I don't know about America, but in the dark ages of British comedy the rougher end of the trade sought laughs at the expense of women - not just sexism but full-on hateful misogyny. A much-recycled stereotype was the sex-starved woman with no sex appeal who was always talking about sex. That's just what Amy has become. The writers and actress should be ashamed of creating this horrible caricature.

In the bad old days Ms Sex-starved would provide even more laughs by pestering a man who was obviously (to everyone but Ms SS, the silly cow) not interested in heterosexual relations. I guess we should be grateful that Amy's victim isn't a caricature of a gay man.

And there's something distasteful about Amy's pursuit of sex with Sheldon. We all have to make our own interpretation of Sheldon's character, there's no "real" story beyond what we see on the screen - but it's possible to see him as a vulnerable adult, in spite of his intelligence, in which case it's abuse.

I think the Amy character is beyond repair and should be written out ASAP; and not be replaced with a new "girlfriend" for Sheldon. It annoys me that every guy in the cast has to have a girlfriend - if I wanted a comedy all about couples I'd watch How I Met Your Sodding Mother.

Another lovely bit of writing was when Bernadette revealed that Howard's favourite sex game was for her to dress up as a Catholic schoolgirl. Anti-Semitism and paedophilia in one line - well done, chaps.

It annoys me that Leonard has succeeded with Penny without making any effort to share her interests. For the first 7 seasons the most important thing to her is that she is an actress, yet Leonard has apparently never even asked her who her favourite actresses are. She is expected to pick up Leonard's Star Dreck interests, but they have apparently never watched a film together with a proper grown-up part for an actress, let alone been to live theatre. It's true Leonard marshalled the gang to see Penny's drama class performance of A Streetcar Named Desire, but they never talked about it afterwards. Penny is always treated as uncultured, but that episode and The Thespian Catalyst show she is well acquainted with the work of Tennessee Williams, at least.

As for "Thing", I'm most annoyed by Leonard's godawful hooded jackets. Isn't everyone?

What annoys me most is that it took me until just now to realise what a disgusting thing the writers have done with the Amy character.

I don't know about America, but in the dark ages of British comedy the rougher end of the trade sought laughs at the expense of women - not just sexism but full-on hateful misogyny. A much-recycled stereotype was the sex-starved woman with no sex appeal who was always talking about sex. That's just what Amy has become. The writers and actress should be ashamed of creating this horrible caricature.

In the bad old days Ms Sex-starved would provide even more laughs by pestering a man who was obviously (to everyone but Ms SS, the silly cow) not interested in heterosexual relations. I guess we should be grateful that Amy's victim isn't a caricature of a gay man.

And there's something distasteful about Amy's pursuit of sex with Sheldon. We all have to make our own interpretation of Sheldon's character, there's no "real" story beyond what we see on the screen - but it's possible to see him as a vulnerable adult, in spite of his intelligence, in which case it's abuse.

I think the Amy character is beyond repair and should be written out ASAP; and not be replaced with a new "girlfriend" for Sheldon. It annoys me that every guy in the cast has to have a girlfriend - if I wanted a comedy all about couples I'd watch How I Met Your Sodding Mother.

Another lovely bit of writing was when Bernadette revealed that Howard's favourite sex game was for her to dress up as a Catholic schoolgirl. Anti-Semitism and paedophilia in one line - well done, chaps.

It annoys me that Leonard has succeeded with Penny without making any effort to share her interests. For the first 7 seasons the most important thing to her is that she is an actress, yet Leonard has apparently never even asked her who her favourite actresses are. She is expected to pick up Leonard's Star Dreck interests, but they have apparently never watched a film together with a proper grown-up part for an actress, let alone been to live theatre. It's true Leonard marshalled the gang to see Penny's drama class performance of A Streetcar Named Desire, but they never talked about it afterwards. Penny is always treated as uncultured, but that episode and The Thespian Catalyst show she is well acquainted with the work of Tennessee Williams, at least.

As for "Thing", I'm most annoyed by Leonard's godawful hooded jackets. Isn't everyone?

Wow, that's a lot of problems you have with this show. Only question what comes to my mind is, why are you watching? Because if I had this many objections on show, I would probably just stop watching. No offense of course. 

Edited by tallin
  • Like 2

And there's something distasteful about Amy's pursuit of sex with Sheldon.

Amy wants to have sex with him some day yes, but she's not pressuring him at all about. Not anymore anyway.

Just watch the last episode (the Prom one), she clearly states that she hopes for it, but isn't expecting it to happen even though society does.

She just loves him (and he her that he was willing to do it just for her, even though he isn't ready for it), she is willing to wait for it.

• Like 1

I'm annoyed about Amy's "lesbian" side, being there all over again. In season seven, they "drown that kitten," and now, I don't see a reason for bringing it back . It every time seems a little weird to me. But that's just minor thing  :)

Edited by tallin

I'm annoyed about Amy's "lesbian" side, being there all over again. In season seven, they "drown that kitten," and now, I don't see a reason for bringing it back . It every time seems a little weird to me. But that's just minor thing :)

Amy is more "polymorphously perverse" really. When we first met her she been in that orgasm study, much later talked about the usefulness of her electric toothbrush. With or without reference to the others, Amy has her sexuality.

I think the Amy character is beyond repair and should be written out ASAP; and not be replaced with a new "girlfriend" for Sheldon. It annoys me that every guy in the cast has to have a girlfriend - if I wanted a comedy all about couples I'd watch How I Met Your Sodding Mother.

It annoys me that Leonard has succeeded with Penny without making any effort to share her interests. For the first 7 seasons the most important thing to her is that she is an actress, yet Leonard has apparently never even asked her who her favourite actresses are. She is expected to pick up Leonard's Star Dreck interests, but they have apparently never watched a film together with a proper grown-up part for an actress, let alone been to live theatre. It's true Leonard marshalled the gang to see Penny's drama class performance of A Streetcar Named Desire, but they never talked about it afterwards. Penny is always treated as uncultured, but that episode and The Thespian Catalyst show she is well acquainted with the work of Tennessee Williams, at least.

So, Howard is pedophile because he gets turned on by Bernadette wearing a Catholic schoolgirl uniform and that line is also anti semitistic because he is Jewish, and Leonard supporting Penny all the way through season seven while she pursued her acting career and letting her pick the movies they would watch during the first few years of their relationship and even agreeing to read a book about psychics doesn't count as effort? And what exactly do you mean by saying that Amy has no sex appeal? Also, Sheldon is a victim because Amy wants to have sex with him despite the fact that when she first kissed him (when they weren't even dating) he didn't resist and said that it was fascinating, initiated their second kiss and spanked her on more than one occassion, not to mention the STD lecture he gave to Alex?