The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer Hockley

Tv Show Discrepancies

why does it seem that tv series always have some discrepancies in them?

Like what does Lenoard do on pizza night since he is lactose intolerant?

And in the one eposide sheldon adopts the 25 cats, yet in a previous eposide when leonard gets dumped and depressed he plans on getting a cat, he says he is looking into a genetically altered form of hairless cat to take into account sheldons allergies.

Thankfully these aren't as bad as some I've seen in other tv series that just absolutely drive you insane and mess up the story line.

• Like 1

In the BBT it happens because the writers don't have plans, story arcs, or characters developing arcs. It's extremely lazy and leaves the show being less then it could be.

Most of the time though it's due to one of two things.

1. Lazy writing. The writers just doing what they feel like with zero regard for the actions the character takes (bbt at its finest)

2. The writers forgetting established continuity. It's a sile mistake of having a long running series, you can't remember everything and every moment. And there will be inconsistenties no matter what.

why does it seem that tv series always have some discrepancies in them?

Like what does Lenoard do on pizza night since he is lactose intolerant?

And in the one eposide sheldon adopts the 25 cats, yet in a previous eposide when leonard gets dumped and depressed he plans on getting a cat, he says he is looking into a genetically altered form of hairless cat to take into account sheldons allergies.

Thankfully these aren't as bad as some I've seen in other tv series that just absolutely drive you insane and mess up the story line.

That is called a plot holes. These are inconsistency's that happen when writers do not carefully plan and record all the data from previous episodes. It also helps if the writing is open though since if its open there is always room to move things around later. Some series like pokemon are willing to sacrifice plot and story for the sake of keeping an audience and so you end up with stuff like ash not ever aging and them changing the backgrounds of the simpsons characters on more than one occasion. However I think BBT is no where as bad as a lot of series have been like the dreaded POKEMON which I can pick at all day but moving on from that. You will notice most series have a few inconsistancys but often if its not very frequent or very large plot holes its usually something people either don't catch or is easy to ignore. You also might notice that sheldon did not start his door "3 time knock" until after Penny moved in. The First episode of her moving in you see he only knocks once meaning that the writers probably just decided to toss it in on a whim and since Sheldon has been doing it consistently for every episode since most people are probably not looking back to catch this error. 

It's because the show is a sitcom, not a documentary.  There are actually a lot of ongoing things that they keep consistent, but other things that just aren't important to the overall story are often played with for the sake of the punchline.

As for the thing with the cats, there are a lot of things from the first season that you kind of have to let go because as the show settled in later on, a lot of stuff from the first season was disregarded or reinvented or whatever.  In the first season, at least at the beginning, Sheldon doesn't do the triple-knock thing, he drinks coffee and he flirts with Penny.

First seasons of shows are usually different from how the show settles in because the writers change their minds or get better ideas or whatever.

There are plenty of things they get right on this show.  Throw-away lines are just that--thrown away.  Sheldon doesn't really have a Mexican peso still stuck up his nose, for instance.  It was funny in the moment, but it's not something they're going to adhere to (and it doesn't make any physical/medical sense, anyway.)

The knocking on Penny's door is an OCD ritual used to counteract intrusive negative thoughts. The rituals are carried out to prevent the negative thoughts happening for real in the mind of a person with OCD. Intrusive thoughts can occur at any time so it's not a discrepancy that the knocking wasn't always present. I work with a guy with OCD and he trusts me enough to talk about his rituals although he's frightened to tell me what his intrusive thoughts consist of in case I think he's mad.

• Like 1

The knocking on Penny's door is an OCD ritual used to counteract intrusive negative thoughts. The rituals are carried out to prevent the negative thoughts happening for real in the mind of a person with OCD. Intrusive thoughts can occur at any time so it's not a discrepancy that the knocking wasn't always present. I work with a guy with OCD and he trusts me enough to talk about his rituals although he's frightened to tell me what his intrusive thoughts consist of in case I think he's mad.

I really don't think the writers/producers put that much thought into how or when the knocking started.  I mean, they do include it as an OCD thing, but I don't think that they chose to manifest it at one time because of how or when Sheldon has intrusive thoughts.  I think they just hadn't thought of it at the beginning.  And one of the first times they used the ritual knock, he did 3 quadruple knocks.  I think it's like the "Sheldon laugh" or the face twitching.  Jim has said that a lot of that stuff comes up while they're rehearsing if it hasn't already been put in the script.  They try different things and then decide what they want to keep and then it gets put in later scripts.

I don't think he's ever been asked about the origin of the triple knock--unless it's in an early comiccon appearance or something--so I don't know if it was put in the script first as an OCD thing, or after they decided to manifest his OCD that way or whatever.

But I don't think the inconsistency of when they began to have him do that has to do with the manifestation of intrusive thoughts.  For TBBT, it's just what they decided to do at some early point.

• Like 1

People expected continuity in Pokémon? Well, I come here to learn.

Well Pokemon had a lot of potential but the writer was most likely A.trying keep the general age group B.Cant write or C.is a very lazy writer. I am thinking some combination of the 3. After gen one and two they still had room to develop and explain the background and fill in some of the plot holes but they simply didn't do that. Than over times the plot holes got larger and larger and snowballed into the crap it ended up. 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VdrSb5eQ7c

you would think sheldon would know the difference between a mogwai and a gremlin after watching the movie many times.

The instructions of Gizmo the Mogwai are dont let them get wet with water , nor give them water to drink or bathe.

and Never ever  feed them after midnight.

the reason why is if you do this the Mogwai will spawn gremlins from its back.

Sheldon refers to the movie as these are the instructions of a Gremlin -  (not a Mogwai)

I thought only Star Trek fans (I'm one of them) obsessed over this kind of thing.

That said, sitcoms generally pay less attention to details like that because

1) Most of them will fail soon anyway.

2) Characters deep background is generally not considered fodder for humor unlike dramas where deep background is often mined for future exploration.

If you want to talk about discrepancies look at MASH.

Hawkeye writing home to his dad...and mom and sister yet episodes later establish irrevocably that he is an only child and his mom died when he was a child.

How a tv series about a war that lasted three years manages to have ELEVEN seasons (including multiple celebrations of the same exact Holiday like Christmas).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VdrSb5eQ7c

you would think sheldon would know the difference between a mogwai and a gremlin after watching the movie many times.

The instructions of Gizmo the Mogwai are dont let them get wet with water , nor give them water to drink or bathe.

and Never ever  feed them after midnight.

the reason why is if you do this the Mogwai will spawn gremlins from its back.

Sheldon refers to the movie as these are the instructions of a Gremlin -  (not a Mogwai)

Maybe he just made a mistake?

By the way,  if you want to clear up a lot of "discrepancies" just remember this:

People often don't tell the truth.   They lie, omit, exaggerate..........

For example.   Perhaps Sheldon simply told Leonard he had a cat hair allergy because he didn't want Leonard getting a cat.

Or perhaps Leonard grossly exaggerates his allergies and other problems.    Perhaps a habit he developed to get attention from his mother.

• Like 1

By the way if you want to talk about discrepancies,  look at the physicality of the characters.

Barry Kripke is supposedly as terrible at sports as Sheldon,  yet Kripke is shown as a pretty avid rock climber and can hold is own on a treadmill.    Maybe it is just organized team sports that Kripke is bad at.

That said,  the entire gang are members of a paintball team, which normally requires no small measure of physical fitness and agility to be successful at.

By the way if you want to talk about discrepancies,  look at the physicality of the characters.

Barry Kripke is supposedly as terrible at sports as Sheldon,  yet Kripke is shown as a pretty avid rock climber and can hold is own on a treadmill.    Maybe it is just organized team sports that Kripke is bad at.

That said,  the entire gang are members of a paintball team, which normally requires no small measure of physical fitness and agility to be successful at.

There is a huge difference between being in good physical form and playing team sports well. Anyone can get the first, it's a matter of training. Being good at ball sports requires talent, and some people just don't have it.

• Like 1

A fair point.

Anyone want to see all the guys end up at a bar for some reason,  get into a brawl and end up (to their amazement) actually winning?

The reason I think about it is there was an episode of "St. Elsewhere" years ago where four of the doctors, played by Denzel Washington, Mark Harmon, Ed Begley Jr. and Howie Mandel walk down the street to a bar all wearing their doctors garb.    Denzel Washington's character was already in a foul mood and all four of them get into a huge brawl with a bunch of the regular bar patrons.

And they win decisively.

Of course Washington and Harmon are quite formidable in their own right.

Another thing I noticed. In the first episode Leonard argues with Sheldon about whats on his board. Leonard says "At least I don't need 26 dimensions to bring the math out" which is something that follows string theory. In the episode where he dates one of Sheldon Arch enemy Leonard states he believes in string not loop theory. So she breaks up with him over the disagreement. So why did he disagree with it in the first episode? 

Edited by SheldonCooperFan

Another thing I noticed. In the first episode Leonard argues with Sheldon about whats on his board. Leonard says "At least I don't need 26 dimensions to bring the math out" which is something that follows string theory. In the episode where he dates one of Sheldon Arch enemy Leonard states he believes in string not loop theory. So she breaks up with him over the disagreement. So why did he disagree with it in the first episode? 

He wasn't disagreeing with string theory in general.  He was simply criticizing whatever idea Sheldon was currently postulating on his board.

Just because they play paintball doesn't mean they're any good at it.  As a matter of fact, they've shown that they're not good at it at all, really.  The only time they've done well was when Sheldon went out and "sacrificed" himself, allowing the others to get cranked up and go after the other team.

Otherwise, I think they just get out there and try to play, but don't necessarily do well at all.

Just because they play paintball doesn't mean they're any good at it.  As a matter of fact, they've shown that they're not good at it at all, really.  The only time they've done well was when Sheldon went out and "sacrificed" himself, allowing the others to get cranked up and go after the other team.

Otherwise, I think they just get out there and try to play, but don't necessarily do well at all.

And being physically fit and able to hold your own on a treadmill doesn't mean you're coordinated enough to play team sports. Kripke is obviously strong enough to lob a basketball... over the net, not into it. If ya ain't gots da skills, no amount of strength in the world is going to make you good at sports.

• Like 1

Another thing I noticed. In the first episode Leonard argues with Sheldon about whats on his board. Leonard says "At least I don't need 26 dimensions to bring the math out" which is something that follows string theory.

The original Bosonic String Theory needed twenty-six dimensions to maintain internal mathematic consistency was only applied to (and didn't really work for) bosons. Research in the 1980s discovered that by adding the idea of Supersymmetry, string theory could be used for bosons, fermions, and gravitational particles under a 10 dimensional framework. Five separate, internally consistent, Supersymmetric String Theory's were discovered, using 10 dimensions. In the 1990s, further research found that those five hypotheses could be formulated together, in 11 dimensions, using something called M-theory. If Sheldon was working with 26 dimensions, he was about thirty years behind the times, unless he was trying to work out something new for Bosonic String Theory. Which seems a bit silly considering it doesn't include fermions (the various electron and neutrinos families), nor does it include gravitation.

In the episode where he dates one of Sheldon Arch enemy Leonard states he believes in string not loop theory. So she breaks up with him over the disagreement. So why did he disagree with it in the first episode?

Perhaps, after looking at Loop Quantum Gravity, Leonard decided that String Theory offered a better hope. If Sheldon was working with the original Bosonic String Theory, Leonard was right to deride Sheldon for working on that particular theory.

• Like 2

And being physically fit and able to hold your own on a treadmill doesn't mean you're coordinated enough to play team sports. Kripke is obviously strong enough to lob a basketball... over the net, not into it. If ya ain't gots da skills, no amount of strength in the world is going to make you good at sports.

True--I can ride my bike for miles, but I can't play basketball.  I mean, I can bounce the ball around but I'm not a good shot at all and I probably played more than Sheldon or Kripke ever did when I was growing up.