The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.24 'the Status Quo Combustion' (May 15)

Your Episode Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I don't detest them, I just find it hilarious that they get off the hook for so much of the crap they dish out on a regular, and that people have the audacity to get mad in one of the few instances they aren't catered to.

• Like 4

I think you're putting words in people's mouths again. I never said anyone was malicious. And usually when Sheldon or Amy says or does something I feel crosses the line, I'm the first to say I don't like it. I don't view them through rose-colored glasses. I view them exactly as they are, how the writers describe them and how the actors play them - as two emotionally stunted, socially-inept geniuses who grew up without friends and constantly bullied, who say inappropriate things and can both be pretty abrasive to their friends and to each other, but are genuinely good people. If you really detest them for whatever reason, then whatever. It's your problem. But to imply that I see zero fault with Sheldon or Amy while I see ample fault in others is just plain wrong. From my vantage point, it appears that you are doing exactly what you are accusing me of with Penny.

Sheldonswife, they are early thirties. Sheldon is 34 and Amy is believed to be a few years younger.

I think the problem with a lot of this is you may go on the Shamy thread and complain about Sheldon and Amy but when you come on here you may complain mostly about the others. No one is alone in this. What happens though and I'm not specifically talking about you is people complain about things that don't happen on the specific episode that is being discussed. 

I didn't say the show was implying it. And I don't think I'm overreacting nor am I shattered to pieces. If you've read some of my reaction posts to the episode, you'll know I'm very pleased with it. But I know you are not singling me out or even necessarily directing that comment to me. The point I was clumsily trying to make - and maybe I wasn't as eloquent or clear as I wanted to be - was that I don't think Penny is always caring to Amy. I know that she's been very caring with her at times, but to say she always is is enough to provoke me to make a post where I normally hate getting into arguments with people. Someone said that Penny kindly asked Amy to stop intruding on their date, and I had to express my disagreement with that statement. But like I said, I do like Penny. She's my least favorite character, but I still like her. Amy has clearly said and done some inappropriate things, but I don't think those were done maliciously at all, more out of ignorance. However, for example, during the S6 Christmas episode, I felt Penny's reactions to the things Amy were saying about being lonely were pretty mean, and it's things like that that can color my opinion in the future with episodes like this one.

You're right, I wasn't singling you about about the overreactions and all that--but that is one of the reactions that's going on based on how Penny treated Amy, which then leads to all of Penny's interactions with Amy being blown out of proportion.

I think the S6 Christmas episode was something of an anomaly all around, at least for the girl's night scene, so I don't think it's all that indicative of Penny's real feelings or attitudes toward Amy.

One thing that does seem true, however, is that we see more of Amy and Bernie kind of poking fun at Penny's ignorance or at least making their attitude clear to each other (and the audience) if they don't come right out and say something to Penny.

But again, I think that these moments arise in the natural ebb and flow of the individual situations, depending on what the story is about or who is teamed up with whom, etc.

I don't think that Penny "kindly" asked Amy to leave.  I think she was obviously blunt, but then, by the time Penny had to tell her to leave it was because Amy wasn't getting the softer clues.  In the end, the only way to get her to leave was to be blunt.

Amy had no qualms about telling Eric the train guy to leave when she wanted to talk to Sheldon alone.

Sometimes you simply have to come out and say what needs to be said.

• Like 4

yowza! this thread has gone to the dogs, but I'd like to put in my 2 cents about the finale anyway.

IMO

Best scenes: Leonard and Penny were adorable last night; I am beyond thrilled they finally stopped bickering and things are going great for them.

Stuart and Debbie, awesome! finally a genuine caring friendship for Stewart besides Rajesh.

Of course, if Sheldon or Amy do sonething horrid they plead lack of awareness (despite the two being middle-aged and highly educated) but anyone else and they're malicious. Typical.

Age and education level have nothing to do with an ability to interpret social clues.  The show has well established that Sheldon and Amy are sociall handicapped in many ways.

Leonard and the other guys are as well, but in a different way, and they've grown and adapted in many ways.  They were always more socially adept than Sheldon, even though they're all still pretty nerdy.

• Like 1

I think you're putting words in people's mouths again. I never said anyone was malicious. And usually when Sheldon or Amy says or does something I feel crosses the line, I say it. I don't view them through rose-colored glasses. I view them exactly as they are, how the writers describe them and how the actors play them - as two emotionally stunted, socially-inept geniuses who grew up without friends and constantly bullied, who say inappropriate things and can both be pretty abrasive to their friends and to each other, but are genuinely good people. If you really detest them for whatever reason, then whatever. It's your problem. But to imply that I see zero fault with Sheldon or Amy while I see ample fault in others is just plain wrong. From my vantage point, it appears that you are doing exactly what you are accusing me of with Penny.

Sheldonswife, they are early thirties. Sheldon is 34 and Amy is believed to be a few years younger.

Amen sista.

• Like 1

I think the problem with a lot of this is you may go on the Shamy thread and complain about Sheldon and Amy but when you come on here you may complain mostly about the others. No one is alone in this. What happens though and I'm not specifically talking about you is people complain about things that don't happen on the specific episode that is being discussed. 

Well, I agree that sometimes my full opinion of an episode may get splintered into different threads, but my sole intention in posting in this thread was to express my disagreement that Penny was being kind to Amy in this episode, and I still stand by it. Was she justified in wanting to have some alone time with Leonard? Of course. Has Penny shown consideration for Amy in the past? Yes. Was she kind to her in this episode? No, I don't think so. But I don't think she was being horrible to her, either. It just kind of irked me, is that really so bad? But anyway, I don't think it's right to accuse someone of only seeing faults in some characters and not Shamy, when I didn't even say anything to that effect in my posts. I feel conclusions get jumped to fast at times. While I ship Shamy, I care about every single one of the characters.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 2

The rest of episode was atrocious IMO. but the worst parts:

-over the top hateful fat jokes about Howard's mom.

-Shamy: good God I used to ship this couple so hard, not anymore. Amy has become insufferable, can she just back off. I have nothing against Mayim, she is a wonderful actress and super cool person during interviews but the writers are destroying her character;  I wish Amy  would kick Sheldon's ass to the curb so hard, the shoe would never come out. I adore Jim Parsons but cannot stand Sheldon anymore, why doesn't he break up with Amy? I don't see any point anymore in having her in his life. They stopped having fun together ages ago. 

-Amy interrupting Leonard and penny's celebration, ugh not funny at all.

-The science is completely gone from the show. I wish last week's episode was the finale, much better written and actually funny.

• Like 1

My beef is very small with them. I just wish they would have told Amy they were going to the train station. I also wanted Penny to say something to Sheldon along the lines of what about Amy.

I'm really not mad at any of them because I know in the long run only good things can come out of this. It may be a bumpy ride right now, but it will all straighten out.

Dana I'll tell you what I told another poster in this thread: I don't think that it would have or should have occurred to them to tell Amy about the train station, because in their mind they weren't going to the train station to say goodbye to Sheldon, but to bring him back home, so if there was anytime to tell Amy, it would have been then.

Ha, I remember Leonard saying pretty much that same thing, something along he lines that if all guys were like him the human race wouldn't survive - yes growing up is necessary but I don't want the characters to loose who they were - Penny and Leonard already making candle light dinners for each other makes me nervous, I'd rather see them playing a video game together - it's The Big Bang Theory, not Desperate Housewives :)

Well, it most certainoly doesn't make ME nervous that after 7 years Penny and Leonard are having a romantic dinner in the least.

• Like 3

And what about the quality of the show this episode! I don't think anyone was bored watching. Not a wasted moment that didn't push the story along. And each character was all entirely themselves. Go writers! I thought it was very coherent. The premiere next season will be interesting as the fallout settles. A well-honed season finale.

And the station set was huge. They did not stint. I'm guessing it was xUnion Station. Shelton certainly had time to think about what he was doing because the bus ride there would not have been short.

I'm going to have lots of room to evolve on my thoughts about Amy, because while she was civil on the phone to Sheldon at the end, she then beat up Leonard. If she had more conviction she might have quietly put down the phone and then gone into Sheldon's bedroom with the scissors and started on his comic books. She should be livid with him after spending four years of her life courting him. Never mind what flat mates did, Sheldon and Amy are responsible for their own actions.

And we got the the opposite of an L/P breakup. Hopefully that device is dead and buried. Now all they have to worry about is career, family, neighbours and, apparent to some, liver damage and incipient alcoholism. And nothing came of the drama about Penny getting her girls out onscreen, which also alarmed a few at the beginning of the year. So, new dooms to come I guess.

I wonder if Emily will be back.

• Like 6

-Shamy: good God I used to ship this couple so hard, not anymore. Amy has become insufferable, can she just back off. I have nothing against Mayim, she is a wonderful actress and super cool person during interviews but the writers are destroying her character;  I wish Amy  would kick Sheldon's ass to the curb so hard, the shoe would never come out. I adore Jim Parsons but cannot stand Sheldon anymore, why doesn't he break up with Amy? I don't see any point anymore in having her in his life. They stopped having fun together ages ago. 

-The science is completely gone from the show. I wish last week's episode was the finale, much better written and actually funny.

Nonsense! S7E20 http://bigbangtrans.wordpress.com/series-7-episode-20-the-relationship-diremption/

Leonard: I got to tell you, the more I read about the primordial gravity wave discovery, the more excited I get.

Raj: I know. Being an astrophysicist right now is like being a rock star.

Howard: Only without the sex.

Raj: Yeah, literally, none of it.

Leonard: What do you think about it, Sheldon?

Sheldon: Meh.

Raj: Are you kidding me? This may be the biggest scientific breakthrough of our lifetime. How can you, as a theoretical physicist, not care about this?

Did you miss it the gang was reacting to actual current science news! See http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140317125850.htm

Date: March 17, 2014

Source: Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

Summary:

Almost 14 billion years ago, the universe we inhabit burst into existence in an extraordinary event that initiated the Big Bang. In the first fleeting fraction of a second, the universe expanded exponentially, stretching far beyond the view of our best telescopes. All this, of course, was just theory. Researchers now announce the first direct evidence for this cosmic inflation. Their data also represent the first images of gravitational waves, or ripples in space-time. These waves have been described as the "first tremors of the Big Bang." Finally, the data confirm a deep connection between quantum mechanics and general relativity.

We have never had science in every episode but the current events in TBBT are related to actual science.

I don't have a transcript for the 7.24 but Sheldon did mention the University would not let him change his field of study and I believe it was cosmological inflation that he mentioned he wanted to change to.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Excellent episode!!

Also an excellent jumping-off point for those who can't bear to suffer thru the next three seasons that WILL culminate in the final deliverance of Vintage Sheldon into the clutches of the Undeserving One.

The Howardette story was entertaining even though it was a bit "heavy" on the tired old "my mom is fat" jokes.

Stuart was very good.

I even liked Leonard in this one. He showed himself to be a real friend. And Penny was spectacular.

The best part of the episode is the way Amy's attempt to exploit Sheldon at a vulnerable time in his life blew up in her face. Her four years of never-ending pressure, scheming and manipulation failed and she was left in a sputtering, selfish rage. She didn't get what she demanded. Not deserved. Demanded.

Sheldon is FREE!!! That's the way I will remember him. Long live Vintage Sheldon!biggrin.gif

End of series for me.heart.gif

• Like 3

Most sitcoms tend to run a certain course. They start out relying mostly on comedy and then transition to comedy and drama. The transition to more drama usually signals the end of the sitcom. Most good sitcoms (The Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs...etc) follow this pattern. Their best seasons are usually the first through the third or fifth season and then the change starts. Whether the writers are starting to run out of comical material and ideas or just want to do something different, I don't know. BBT is going through this transition and I wouldn't be surprised if season 8 turns out to be the final one. The success of the show is built around the characters Sheldon and Leonard sharing an apartment living across from Penny. It's hard to see BBT maintaining their success if that dynamic changes. If season 8 turns out to be the final one then yes let Leonard and Penny get married and Sheldon and Amy get married or at least move in together and Rog find his true love and then shut the show down. On the other hand if they want to extend the series past season 8 then I would suggest putting the brakes to the L/P engagement and Shamy relationship. Some have criticized Sheldon's actions last night as being childish and self-centered. Well duh, that's the reason so many people have watched BBT over the years; the uniqueness of his character. If season 8 is the final one then yeah cross over into more drama and less comedy and let everyone hitch up with their mates. Personally I like the Sheldon and Amy of earlier years and the boys are more entertaining in all of their nerdiness. I want to see comedy. If I wanted to see personal growth in relationships then I'd be watching the Hallmark Channel! The better ending would've beem Sheldon getting all psyched out plus Leonard and Penny breaking up again. Imagine Leonard and Sheldon on a cross country train ride!

Most sitcoms tend to run a certain course. They start out relying mostly on comedy and then transition to comedy and drama. The transition to more drama usually signals the end of the sitcom. Most good sitcoms (The Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs...etc) follow this pattern. Their best seasons are usually the first through the third or fifth season and then the change starts. Whether the writers are starting to run out of comical material and ideas or just want to do something different, I don't know. BBT is going through this transition and I wouldn't be surprised if season 8 turns out to be the final one. The success of the show is built around the characters Sheldon and Leonard sharing an apartment living across from Penny. It's hard to see BBT maintaining their success if that dynamic changes. If season 8 turns out to be the final one then yes let Leonard and Penny get married and Sheldon and Amy get married or at least move in together and Rog find his true love and then shut the show down. On the other hand if they want to extend the series past season 8 then I would suggest putting the brakes to the L/P engagement and Shamy relationship. Some have criticized Sheldon's actions last night as being childish and self-centered. Well duh, that's the reason so many people have watched BBT over the years; the uniqueness of his character. If season 8 is the final one then yeah cross over into more drama and less comedy and let everyone hitch up with their mates. Personally I like the Sheldon and Amy of earlier years and the boys are more entertaining in all of their nerdiness. I want to see comedy. If I wanted to see personal growth in relationships then I'd be watching the Hallmark Channel! The better ending would've beem Sheldon getting all psyched out plus Leonard and Penny breaking up again. Imagine Leonard and Sheldon on a cross country train ride!

I see this is your first post. Welcome.

Perhaps you don't realize TBBT has been renewed for three more seasons already. Yes, that is unusual for a show in it's 7th season. I leave it to Tensor to tell you about the shows ratings and how they are not at all typical for a long running series.

Sheldon could also have just taken up the bongos again.....

Edited by vasu

I forgot to say I did like last night's episode even with the drama. I just enjoy it for what it is --  a sitcom. I don't follow all of this selfish Sheldon or devious Amy bit though.

I see this is your first post. Welcome.

Perhaps you don't realize TBBT has been renewed for three more seasons already. Yes, that is unusual for a show in it's 7th season. I leave it to Tensor to tell you about the shows ratings and how they are not at all typical for a long running series.

I'm aware it was renewed for 3 more seasons even though that doesn't necessarily mean they will actually do 3 more seasons. BTW I hope they do and I hope it is 3 more quality seasons like the past 7 have been. I don't need to see ratings to know I like a program and while I rank BBT as one of the all time great sitcoms, quite frankly there isn't much else out there to compete with it.

• Like 1

Dana I'll tell you what I told another poster in this thread: I don't think that it would have or should have occurred to them to tell Amy about the train station, because in their mind they weren't going to the train station to say goodbye to Sheldon, but to bring him back home, so if there was anytime to tell Amy, it would have been then.

Thank you, I had not considered that idea before. :)

• Like 2

While I absolutely loved the way how Beverly (Christine Baranski's acting) said "Penny"...

I though they got along pretty well... did I miss something??

Sheldon could also have just taken up the bongos again.....

But then the last 5 pages of this thread wouldn't have happened

I wonder if Shakespeare got mobbed after he killed off that lovely and harmless Desdemona character...

... and I think Beverly is still ticked off at Leonard's dad.

• Like 2

While I absolutely loved the way how Beverly (Christine Baranski's acting) said "Penny"...

I though they got along pretty well... did I miss something??

No I think people just forget she was having her first experience of paralytic drunkenness when she called her " my home girl " and told Her son off for treating Penny bad. Not sure Bev gets along with many "pretty well" - she is the female Sheldon of the show. It was nice though that she reported that Sheldon had nothing but nice things to say about Penny - he has his nice moments, people.

Of course that was before he was made to understand Mummy and Daddy didn't want to live with him anymore!

• Like 6

Nonsense! S7E20 http://bigbangtrans.wordpress.com/series-7-episode-20-the-relationship-diremption/

Did you miss it the gang was reacting to actual current science news! See http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140317125850.htm

We have never had science in every episode but the current events in TBBT are related to actual science.

I don't have a transcript for the 7.24 but Sheldon did mention the University would not let him change his field of study and I believe it was cosmological inflation that he mentioned he wanted to cha

Excellent episode!!

Also an excellent jumping-off point for those who can't bear to suffer thru the next three seasons that WILL culminate in the final deliverance of Vintage Sheldon into the clutches of the Undeserving One.

The Howardette story was entertaining even though it was a bit "heavy" on the tired old "my mom is fat" jokes.

Stuart was very good.

I even liked Leonard in this one. He showed himself to be a real friend. And Penny was spectacular.

The best part of the episode is the way Amy's attempt to exploit Sheldon at a vulnerable time in his life blew up in her face. Her four years of never-ending pressure, scheming and manipulation failed and she was left in a sputtering, selfish rage. She didn't get what she demanded. Not deserved. Demanded.

Sheldon is FREE!!! That's the way I will remember him. Long live Vintage Sheldon!biggrin.gif

End of series for me.heart.gif

I cannot believe I agree with you because I was a hardcore shamy shipper. There was a time when I honestly thought they were the best couple on tv ever; then the writers decided to turn Amy into a walking cliche. Because the over bearing, overly attached needy girlfriend has not being portrayed enough on tv, of course they always fall for the emotionally distant, cold as a stone boyfriend. And Sheldon rejecting Amy every effin scene they're together NEVER gets old, right? ugh

I adore vintage Sheldon too :o) and the shamy when they were cute together, God I miss them...

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but I agree on all points. The constant fat jokes have GOT to stop. I'm almost embarrassed by how much I like the show when they keep doing lame fat jokes over and over. There used to be more to Mrs. W's character. 

I was a hardcore Shamy shipper and I freaked out about the kiss this season--but now I don't know anymore. How many times is she going to suggest moving in together till she gets the hint? She looks desperate. I need to back off because I don't really trust the writers to get this relationship back on the right track next season. Where is the geeky fun? The happiest Amy looked this season was when she was hanging out with Howard, of all people.

I feel like the science stuff is getting neglected because they have to include all characters each week and there's so much to cram into 19-20 minutes.

Also, I am happy for Raj, but I hate how the guys brag to the world about their sexual conquests. I hope he doesn't blow it with Emily.

• Like 3