The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.24 'the Status Quo Combustion' (May 15)

Your Episode Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Nonsense! S7E20 http://bigbangtrans.wordpress.com/series-7-episode-20-the-relationship-diremption/

Did you miss it the gang was reacting to actual current science news! See http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140317125850.htm

We have never had science in every episode but the current events in TBBT are related to actual science.

I don't have a transcript for the 7.24 but Sheldon did mention the University would not let him change his field of study and I believe it was cosmological inflation that he mentioned he wanted to change to.

I remember that episode, definitively one of the better ones this season. I specially liked Sheldon waking up to the geology book. The show used to be about science with some relationship drama sprinkled here and there; now it's the opposite and it's obviously not changing back. I always ave the option of not watching which really sucks because I keep waiting for the show's former glory to emerge. Although I have to admit there are a few episodes in S7 that are absolutely comedy gold and that's when I'm hooked back on again. I hope S8 has more science talk though.

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised at some of the stuff people are upset about in this episode.  What really shocked me was at the train station, Penny hugged and kissed Sheldon, telling him to be careful and he didn't flinch, he even seemed to like it.  I thought the Shamy's would be pissed and the Shenny's would have filled fan fiction already with stories of how Penny really loves Sheldon, because she kissed him and he liked it.

This episode actually had a lot of continuity from previous episodes.

Amy has said before that she overstays her welcome, even at her Gynecologist, she did that before when she stayed in the room with Leonard that one night Sheldon went off to the comic book store and she did it again last night.

Penny and Leonard never get a break, they had just got engaged, they are in the honeymoon phase and Sheldon and Amy drama now takes over their life.

Sheldon's sanctuary is the comic book store,  we saw that before in season 3 when Leonard and Penny fought, it was suppose to be his last place to go, it burnt down, he snapped, it was the final straw.

Penny and Leonard worry about Sheldon, how many times have we seen that before.

Leonard getting pillow'd by Amy, Leonard is the metaphorical punching bag of the group, so Amy doing that to him was just a continuation of things that have been done to him before.

Raj acting just like Howard when he was dating Leslie, with his creepy remarks about getting laid.

There was probably more, but I am tired of typing.

Nothing is really new in this episode, so why is everyone one so upset???

• Like 7

Excellent episode!!

Also an excellent jumping-off point for those who can't bear to suffer thru the next three seasons that WILL culminate in the final deliverance of Vintage Sheldon into the clutches of the Undeserving One.

The Howardette story was entertaining even though it was a bit "heavy" on the tired old "my mom is fat" jokes.

Stuart was very good.

I even liked Leonard in this one. He showed himself to be a real friend. And Penny was spectacular.

The best part of the episode is the way Amy's attempt to exploit Sheldon at a vulnerable time in his life blew up in her face. Her four years of never-ending pressure, scheming and manipulation failed and she was left in a sputtering, selfish rage. She didn't get what she demanded. Not deserved. Demanded.

Sheldon is FREE!!! That's the way I will remember him. Long live Vintage Sheldon!biggrin.gif

End of series for me.heart.gif

Ya know, I've given you a lot of crap for some of your comments.  So, I will now give you credit for getting your point across, without descending into maliciousness.  I may not agree with you, but you were  IMO, able to get across the parts you didn't like, without looking mean spirited.   You probably don't care about my opinion, but I thought it only fair to let you know when I thought you did a good job, since I  gave you so much grief when I thought you didn't do so well.   

I remember that episode, definitively one of the better ones this season. I specially liked Sheldon waking up to the geology book. The show used to be about science with some relationship drama sprinkled here and there; now it's the opposite and it's obviously not changing back. I always ave the option of not watching which really sucks because I keep waiting for the show's former glory to emerge. Although I have to admit there are a few episodes in S7 that are absolutely comedy gold and that's when I'm hooked back on again. I hope S8 has more science talk though.

Science was always part of backdrop. The BBT has always really been about the interactions between L/S/P and friends.

Science was always part of backdrop.

I agree with one word in this sentence, WAS. We used to have plots about Howard trying to fix the space toilet, or going to war with Kripke and the Killer robot, or card game wars at the comic book store with Wil Wheaton. The relationship section of the older episodes is a smaller part of it's content. Now most episodes are 100% relationship with a few nerdy soundbites.

• Like 2

I agree with one word in this sentence, WAS. We used to have plots about Howard trying to fix the space toilet, or going to war with Kripke and the Killer robot, or card game wars at the comic book store with Wil Wheaton. The relationship section of the older episodes is a smaller part of it's content. Now most episodes are 100% relationship with a few nerdy soundbites.

I like science stuff but find killer robots a lame waste of money. They could have worked on autonomous maze solving robots or soccer playing robots. I also thought the card game with Wil was lame. I much prefer Wil in season seven.

For science stuff I like Leonard's work with lasers, Sheldon musing over the mobility of electrons in graphene, references to the LHC, Amy's nicotine addicted monkey and the recent reference to evidence of cosmic inflation and gravity waves.

I do agree that we get episodes in which no one could tell the guys are supposed to be brilliant in their fields. On the other hand I think the af more relationship stuff has brodened the viewer base.

what I want to know is since when do either Leonard or Penny cook? - all I have ever  seen them eat is take out.

You seemed to have missed most of season 6. They were shown cooking or eating at Penny's  in many of their scenes.

Remember Leonard preparing Penny's date night meal in episode 1?

Or Penny's "crunchy" spaghetti in ep 6?

Or the meal Leonard prepare while Penny was texting her English classmate in the "I love you" ep 8?

Or the meal Penny prepared when they were discussing going out for Valentine's day in ep 16?

Or the dinner party they threw in 6.19? Though they may have had that catered :popcorn:

Or the simple meal they had when Leonard told Penny he was going away in the season finale?

They made a big deal about having L/P eating together like a married couple in season 6 which is why in season 7's finale there was Leonard's comment about Penny's lack of cooking ability and her promise to try harder.

They did have slight puzzlement in stating that this was the first time that Leonard had cooked for her. Maybe she considered his former efforts as merely helping her.

Edited by BangerMain

We always go back to this. When did Bill Prady and Chuck Lorre say this show's primary focus was Science and nerd games? Why did they name the show "The Big Bang Theory"? What did Prady say he wanted to explore about the geeky guys he worked with as a computer programmer?

The show is doing exactly what it's creator intended it to do. And yes, I know this is not the place for this played out and already answered discussion.

I like science stuff but find killer robots a lame waste of money. They could have worked on autonomous maze solving robots or soccer playing robots. I also thought the card game with Wil was lame. I much prefer Wil in season seven.

For science stuff I like Leonard's work with lasers, Sheldon musing over the mobility of electrons in graphene, references to the LHC, Amy's nicotine addicted monkey and the recent reference to evidence of cosmic inflation and gravity waves.

I do agree that we get episodes in which no one could tell the guys are supposed to be brilliant in their fields. On the other hand I think the af more relationship stuff has brodened the viewer base.

Most episodes seem to focus on when they are outside Caltech or eating their lunch. It's entirely realistic that they don't spend much time talking about Science... except when there is something really big going on, of course. Also, they normally don't work within the same team, so they would have very little to talk about outside the big news.

Some people claim that Amy is pushy. I understand how this might seem to be true but she wasn't the one initiating ALL the big moments in Shamy's adventures. Sheldon was.Furthermore, Amy is no more pushy than Leonard was with his proposals to a woman who has/ had commitment issues. It's quite logical that Amy would want to live with the man she loves and she knows that Sheldon has deep feelings for her as well. It's practical to live together for all the reasons she mentioned in season 6, even more so now. 

Also, I understand that the relationship aspect of the show has taken over the science one. Writers do need to find a good balance. Let's hope that things start falling into place and the quirkiness of the show is restored to its former glory but let's remember that the show is based on the lives of 3 scientists and a waitress/actress and therefore human relationships will be the focal point. ( they are not robots no matter how much Sheldon wishes he were)

The finale was good in many respects, even with the way it ended ( no goodbye for Amy). S/L/P are the main characters and that's how it is. 

Hate to say it, but I agree on all points. The constant fat jokes have GOT to stop. I'm almost embarrassed by how much I like the show when they keep doing lame fat jokes over and over. There used to be more to Mrs. W's character. 

I was a hardcore Shamy shipper and I freaked out about the kiss this season--but now I don't know anymore. How many times is she going to suggest moving in together till she gets the hint? She looks desperate. I need to back off because I don't really trust the writers to get this relationship back on the right track next season. Where is the geeky fun? The happiest Amy looked this season was when she was hanging out with Howard, of all people.

I feel like the science stuff is getting neglected because they have to include all characters each week and there's so much to cram into 19-20 minutes.

Also, I am happy for Raj, but I hate how the guys brag to the world about their sexual conquests. I hope he doesn't blow it with Emily.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the overtly hateful fat jokes; for some reason I got past them when Howard was a single guy and the jokes were more about how overbearing mrs.Wolowitz was and a fat joke sprinkled here and there. However, they sound so tasteless and unfunny to me coming from Howard the faithful married guy who would love to have children one day. I hope they lay off those jokes for a while.

The kiss took me by surprise(I never read the taping reports) but they handled it so well that they got me on board with the shamy even more. But after that it has been downhill for the two of them; What I loved about the shamy before and also found hilarious was that Sheldon's quirks were so endearing to Amy, but obnoxious to everyone else. Lately though, she has lost that loving and caring feeling towards him(IMO); She finds his conversations about his hobbies and interests tedious and seems to only want sex from him no matter what. The more she asks for intimacy the more distant he becomes, something has got to give; one of them should do the right thing and just break up. I'm actually glad Sheldon left so Amy has a clear head of what's going on here and she starts either dating someone else or feel OK being alone for a while.

Regarding the cramming of so many story lines; not only has the cast almost doubled but also the amount of commercials is outrageous. There is just so much you can say about 6 people(7 including Stuart) in 20 minutes. Did they really need to outshine Lenny's engagement with Raj's sex life? very poor taste of Raj to bring up his sex life right after the engagement announcement. I guess they decided to focus more on the interpersonal relationships than the geeky side of the characters for most of the season 7. I'm also starting to lose faith in the writers and I hope they don't lose sight of the clear gem that this show was and still could be. 

Off my soap box now, 

• Like 1

While I absolutely loved the way how Beverly (Christine Baranski's acting) said "Penny"...

I though they got along pretty well... did I miss something??

Dr. Beverly's pronouncing Penny's name was a priceless, funny and perfect distillation of her feelings about Penny. To her Penny is Leonard's sex toy and has little other value. The first thing that Beverly said about Penny to Leonard was: "If you want to have intercourse with that girl, find out what kind of cologne her father wore." The last thing she said to Leonard as Penny sat in the passenger seat of his car was:

Beverley: And I want you to take very good care of this young woman.

Penny: Oh, thank you, Beverly.

Beverley: You’re welcome. She doesn’t have much in the way of career prospects, don’t make her responsible for her own orgasms as well.

Leonard: Mother, remember when I was complaining that you don’t communicate with me enough?

Beverley: Yes, dear.

Leonard: I’m over it.

To Beverly, Penny is a mommy approved, sexual outlet for Leonard.

Leonard never did tell his mother he was going out with Penny. As Sheldon stated he was ashamed to mention Penny because his other two siblings had such high attaining spouses. This is the nicest thing Beverly said to Leonard about Penny after Penny told her she was sleeping with Leonard:

Beverley: Now, how could you not tell me you were in a relationship with this lovely, charming young woman?

Penny: Oh, thank you.

Beverley: You’re welcome. Is it because she’s uneducated, trapped in a menial service position?

Penny: What the hell happened to lovely and charming?

Supposedly, Beverly has a theory about why Leonard loves Penny:

Sheldon: The reason you’re fixated on a good-natured simpleton like Penny is that she’s the exact opposite of your first romantic attachment, your brilliant yet intimidating mother.

Leonard: Where on earth did you get that from?

Sheldon: It’s in her book, Needy Baby, Greedy Baby.

Since this is supposed to have happened in Leonard's daydream we don't know if the book exists or if this is what Leonard really thinks is his mother's opinion of Penny.

It is understandable that Leonard was dreading telling his mom he was going to marry Penny. Beverly excepted the news because her favorite "son", Sheldon convinced her that Penny was good enough to obtain his approval. Dr. Bev still would not admit that Leonard's life choice was a good one.

Edited by BangerMain

Beverley has yet to approve of anything Leonard has done, so I don't see why anyone should be concerned. Her opinion of Penny is about as high as the one she holds for her son. You can't make her proud, as they are "not her accomplishments", but you can charm her. Penny is much more adept at that than Leonard, so she'll come around. It does seem the writers forgot about S3 Christmas.

Edited by DaisyJane

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the overtly hateful fat jokes; for some reason I got past them when Howard was a single guy and the jokes were more about how overbearing mrs.Wolowitz was and a fat joke sprinkled here and there. However, they sound so tasteless and unfunny to me coming from Howard the faithful married guy who would love to have children one day. I hope they lay off those jokes for a while.

The kiss took me by surprise(I never read the taping reports) but they handled it so well that they got me on board with the shamy even more. But after that it has been downhill for the two of them; What I loved about the shamy before and also found hilarious was that Sheldon's quirks were so endearing to Amy, but obnoxious to everyone else. Lately though, she has lost that loving and caring feeling towards him(IMO); She finds his conversations about his hobbies and interests tedious and seems to only want sex from him no matter what. The more she asks for intimacy the more distant he becomes, something has got to give; one of them should do the right thing and just break up. I'm actually glad Sheldon left so Amy has a clear head of what's going on here and she starts either dating someone else or feel OK being alone for a while.

Regarding the cramming of so many story lines; not only has the cast almost doubled but also the amount of commercials is outrageous. There is just so much you can say about 6 people(7 including Stuart) in 20 minutes. Did they really need to outshine Lenny's engagement with Raj's sex life? very poor taste of Raj to bring up his sex life right after the engagement announcement. I guess they decided to focus more on the interpersonal relationships than the geeky side of the characters for most of the season 7. I'm also starting to lose faith in the writers and I hope they don't lose sight of the clear gem that this show was and still could be. 

Off my soap box now, 

The two things I strongly agree with is the fat jokes have been over done and Raj ought to learn some discretion regarding sex (someone will tell me his indiscretion is good for comedy).

I think TBBT is richer for all the characters. The main three need the most on screen time. The others not so much.

You counted characters wrong. We have L/S/P then H/B/R/A so there are 7 regulars. Stewart is not a regular.

• Like 2

@bangermain, I watched late night TV in LA and the mind boggling (to this colonial boy) infomercials were very clear that no matter how versatile and how many functions, a sex toy won't undercook your spaghetti. If Beverly thinks Penny is one then that she needs to watch late night TV. Person <> sex toy. Bad Beverly. :)

And who is going to call the other, other Dr Hofstader? S8 may have to give Leonard a dad. Huzzah! I guess he has been on a long field trip to Africa and the Rift Valley.

• Like 4

Wow..it's amazing some people felt exactly same as I felt.

Why Lenny didn't call Amy? I think even Amy was with Lenny, Sheldon would go and take his own time. If Amy urges Sheldon to stay...that'd be awful.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting my podcast Melody! I'll get better at posting over here. Please leave me comments about it. I love feedback.

@bangermain, I watched late night TV in LA and the mind boggling (to this colonial boy) infomercials were very clear that no matter how versatile and how many functions, a sex toy won't undercook your spaghetti. If Beverly thinks Penny is one then that she needs to watch late night TV. Person <> sex toy. Bad Beverly. :)

And who is going to call the other, other Dr Hofstader? S8 may have to give Leonard a dad. Huzzah! I guess he has been on a long field trip to Africa and the Rift Valley.

Let's hope that this episode will have TPTB remember that Leonard has two parents. As Beverly was talking with such disdain of Penny and Leonard, I wondered why Leonard did not call his father since he would have some sympathy for his choice of a wife. His father, after all, was divorced by Beverly after he had an affair with a waitress from the Princeton cafeteria. Beverly very nastily snapped that off to Penny in the season 3 Christmas episode emphasizing with fake horror that the woman was a "Waitress", of all things, as if that is a sub-species of humanity.

Still, Beverly is such a great comic villain. God help me, I love her :diablo:

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

I mentioned in the podcast about where did Bev's fondness of Penny go. Because in that same Christmas episode...she called Penny her home girl. I'm a little confused where that went.

I mentioned in the podcast about where did Bev's fondness of Penny go. Because in that same Christmas episode...she called Penny her home girl. I'm a little confused where that went.

Someone pointed out in some thread that Beverly was drunk at the time. One has to wonder if Beverly (who was not a drinker) might not hold a grudge now (as a result of the incredible embarrassment the felt the next day -- She might not normally feel embarrassment but she does not normally kiss Sheldon or slip her card into a bus boy's back pocket either.).

If you look at the transcripts of the Beverly/Penny interactions you notice that the "Home Girl" comment is the only thing that can be considered as positive.  Within 5 seconds of saying this, Dr. Bev is back to crushing Penny.

The only times they have met left Penny a drunken mess.

Edited by BangerMain

Can anyone explain to me what happened with Amy's character?

She used to be just as Sheldon, kind of the reason why they started the relationship at all, but ever since she's been wanting more and more from the relationship, unlike Sheldon, who stayed like he was

(*In the episode, Amy says she made a contract with her mother that she'd try to find a date at least once a year)

It's probably for the better that she changed at all, because two Sheldon type of characters would make anyone explode

As of right now though, she comes over as desperate and dislikable (to me)

Loved Lenny this episode. How they started with announcing that they're getting engaged, but soon got their spot light stolen from Raj who finally got to sleep with someone was a great way to start the episode. Penny and Leonard being these second parents for Sheldon hit their peak in this episode, in my opinion. It's great that Sheldon was finally able to grow as a person, but also great from Leonard to be able to let him go...

Always felt sympathic towards Stuard, especially during that episode where everyone made a pact they'd come to that exact building in 20 years, and he was the only one to show up... But this was just a new low for him

Really great to be able to move on by taking care of Debbie though

• Like 3

Amy's character has simply grown.  Growing up she may very well have been a nerdy, shelter girl with no friends.  As result she was a lot like Sheldon.  However, after meeting and dating Sheldon and becoming friends with Penny and Bernie the part of Amy that desired to have friends and something more to her life has come out.  There is always more to a person than one dimension.  Sheldon has this side to him as well but he fights it for some reason.

Edited by Oldnavy