The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.24 'the Status Quo Combustion' (May 15)

Your Episode Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Can anyone explain to me what happened with Amy's character?

She used to be just as Sheldon, kind of the reason why they started the relationship at all, but ever since she's been wanting more and more from the relationship, unlike Sheldon, who stayed like he was

(*In the episode, Amy says she made a contract with her mother that she'd try to find a date at least once a year)

It's probably for the better that she changed at all, because two Sheldon type of characters would make anyone explode

As of right now though, she comes over as desperate and dislikable (to me)

[snip]

Amy made new friends in Penny and Bernadette.

Amy continues to evolve. She is not so desperate as she once was. I generally enjoy the Amy character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2sHZOu5OsA

The second clip explains why Penny was apathetic to Leonard being assaulted by a pillow. Though the way she went about hitting Leonard was more violent, I think a blow to the face hurts more than one to the arm (speaking from pillow fighting experience). 

Edited by DaisyJane

The worst part about Amy in this episode was ... at each point of time ... she was looking to put her idea of moving in with Sheldon on the table...instead of trying to help Sheldon ...... extremely selfish...

i guess her and Sheldon are made for each other...  :p

Edited by vasu

Can anyone explain to me what happened with Amy's character?

She used to be just as Sheldon, kind of the reason why they started the relationship at all, but ever since she's been wanting more and more from the relationship, unlike Sheldon, who stayed like he was

(*In the episode, Amy says she made a contract with her mother that she'd try to find a date at least once a year)

It's probably for the better that she changed at all, because two Sheldon type of characters would make anyone explode

As of right now though, she comes over as desperate and dislikable (to me)

Although I love the evolution of shamy, I was very surprise at the change in personality of Amy. Even if she is socialized with girls, I though the change was a little too radical sometimes, compared to Sheldon for that change is gradual.

Sheldon is having to deal with an inevitability of life - change. No matter how the Lenny housing situation is resolved, it will be different and will exclude Sheldon. Sheldon trying to abandon string theory is interesting, as that is change without the need for change. String theory is in trouble but not disproved yet. There is still one more run at the Large Hadron Collider to go at its maximum capacity. Even then it just means current technology and the best version of supersymmetry aren't good. There are other variants to be explored. When you think about it, Sheldon is overreacting. He is required by his job to not change his field. Amy is being consistent in her quest to get intimate with Sheldon. The only change is the living arrangements. Leonard and Penny want to move in together somewhere without Sheldon. It has been clear from mid-season that this was inevitable. His best choice to keep as much intact in his life is to trade places with Penny. Otherwise Lenny will move away and he will get a new neighbor across the hall, at the least. Up until now, Sheldon has been able to dictate to others much of what happens. He can no longer do this. He must accept change, and likely compromise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Of course the other significant change is that his happy place just burnt down. He went to the comic book store to console himself and it was destroyed. The train station was just his next option.

Although I love the evolution of shamy, I was very surprise at the change in personality of Amy. Even if she is socialized with girls, I though the change was a little too radical sometimes, compared to Sheldon for that change is gradual.

That is a result of the esteem Amy felt towards Penny and the contempt Sheldon feels towards just about everyone (including his best friend Leonard).

• Like 1

Of course the other significant change is that his happy place just burnt down. He went to the comic book store to console himself and it was destroyed. The train station was just his next option.

I forgot about that. However, he was looking for consolation because there is no way he can get what he wants. He could have been more constructive and actually helped Stuart, but he really didn't want to. Getting on a train really was the last pacifier he had left.

I forgot about that. However, he was looking for consolation because there is no way he can get what he wants. He could have been more constructive and actually helped Stuart, but he really didn't want to. Getting on a train really was the last pacifier he had left.

So he needed an escape. A lot of people do this by turning to a good book, a movie, a sitcom...  ...a video game or even long hours at work.

Sheldon is just an average person distorted by taking some quirks to an extreme.

• Like 1

So he needed an escape. A lot of people do this by turning to a good book, a movie, a sitcom... ...a video game or even long hours at work.

Sheldon is just an average person distorted by taking some quirks to an extreme.

Going on a trip makes perfect sense if needed, especially on trains (both Sheldon and I like to travel on train, although not to his extreme). The problems he has have been in the works for a while though, and he's chosen to avoid them. The issues with string theory are just the breaks in the game. He is contractually obligated to study string theory. Experiments so far haven't worked out, so it is less likely to yield a Nobel Prize. There are other aspects he can expand on, but it just means things aren't working out easy.

The deal with Lenny wanting to move in together is inevitable, and someone supposedly as smart as Sheldon should be fully aware of it. For all intents and purposes, the Roommate Agreement is over. He will no longer be able to dictate to Leonard. He's got a shot with Amy and the Relationship Agreement, but that's not going to last long. In this regard, Sheldon is finding out that he cannot control people without their consent, and that's not normally forthcoming. I imagine the Roommate Agreement has djsurrey been in tatters for a while, and Sheldon has chosen not to acknowledge it. He can choose to stay in 4A, alone, with Amy, or find a new roommate. Lenny will move away. Or he can switch with Penny and salvage as much of the current arrangement as possible. Going away will not change that. Further, whether he likes it or not, things will change while he's gone, and without his input or consent. Going on an extended trip will present him with a done deal. Taken an afternoon off at the park makes sense to regroup mentally. Being a credit card holding hobo for an extended period doesn't.

• Like 7

I was just re-watching this episode, and Leonard simply stated that he and Penny's future living arrangements would not involve Sheldon living with them. Beyond that he seemed open to how to accomplish that. I'm sure if Sheldon insisted on staying in 4A, Leonard would move out to a new place with Penny or into 4B. He was not insisting on Sheldon moving.

Going on a trip makes perfect sense if needed, especially on trains (both Sheldon and I like to travel on train, although not to his extreme). The problems he has have been in the works for a while though, and he's chosen to avoid them. The issues with string theory are just the breaks in the game. He is contractually obligated to study string theory. Experiments so far haven't worked out, so it is less likely to yield a Nobel Prize. There are other aspects he can expand on, but it just means things aren't working out easy.

The deal with Lenny wanting to move in together is inevitable, and someone supposedly as smart as Sheldon should be fully aware of it. For all intents and purposes, the Roommate Agreement is over. He will no longer be able to dictate to Leonard. He's got a shot with Amy and the Relationship Agreement, but that's not going to last long. In this regard, Sheldon is finding out that he cannot control people without their consent, and that's not normally forthcoming. I imagine the Roommate Agreement has djsurrey been in tatters for a while, and Sheldon has chosen not to acknowledge it. He can choose to stay in 4A, alone, with Amy, or find a new roommate. Lenny will move away. Or he can switch with Penny and salvage as much of the current arrangement as possible. Going away will not change that. Further, whether he likes it or not, things will change while he's gone, and without his input or consent. Going on an extended trip will present him with a done deal. Taken an afternoon off at the park makes sense to regroup mentally. Being a credit card holding hobo for an extended period doesn't.

Well yes you are right of course but he would out of character if he did not take this way beyond common sense. With Sheldon every thing is exaggerated.

Even Zack could have asked him "how could he possibly think we were going to blow up the moon that he would live withe Leonard forever."

• Like 1

I just rewatched this episode.

I thought one of the most adorable part of Sheldon was confidence. Everytime he showed his belief-what Sheldon thinks 'truth'- that he's almost the best in science (for Sheldon, the smartest would be Hawking), and I really loved his attitude.

But now I can't find his cute, adorable characters at all....and it hurts me so bad, because it meas he is desperately aggravated at whole things going on around him...to lose his nature.

20minutes-a-day couldn't help handling his stress.

Even thougn, I do believe he can deal with everything at last. 

And that'll be the time when Sheldon grows, and that grown up Sheldon will show up at S8. Way to go Sheldon.

p.s. This site is unbelievable. Why didn't I hit uppon an idea to serach the fan site?

It seems reasonable, 'cause I'm not American.

Still, it's amazing, I never fell in love with my own coutry's sitcom in my life, but addicted to this sitcom :girlsmile:

• Like 1

One moment I found really interesting, upon watching the episode for the 3rd or 4th time, was Amy's explanation of how Sheldon got upset over her comments to him "after [Leonard] got him all riled up" about moving.  Seems to me she really was trying to use Leonard's living arrangement discussion to her own advantage.

And again, I'm not saying that Amy is wrong for wishing she and Sheldon could live together, but I do think that my sense that she was trying to slip that suggestion in on him one more time was a little more calculated, not just some innocent passing comment.

• Like 1

Enjoyed this one. Plot lines developing but keeping the Big Bang theme.

"HOW COULD YOU LET HIM GO?!!"

One moment I found really interesting, upon watching the episode for the 3rd or 4th time, was Amy's explanation of how Sheldon got upset over her comments to him "after [Leonard] got him all riled up" about moving. Seems to me she really was trying to use Leonard's living arrangement discussion to her own advantage.

And again, I'm not saying that Amy is wrong for wishing she and Sheldon could live together, but I do think that my sense that she was trying to slip that suggestion in on him one more time was a little more calculated, not just some innocent passing comment.

Its a bit passive/aggressive of her. Not her best moment, but funny. She's trying to absolve herself of contributing, but from one point of view she is the biggest factor in Sheldon's problem with himself. He has to recognize his nature. He is going to have to come out. :)

Amy has shown that she will do what ever she can to bend Sheldon to her desires. Pushing a wedge between Sheldon and Leonard actually serves all purposes.

• Like 2

Amy has shown that she will do what ever she can to bend Sheldon to her desires. Pushing a wedge between Sheldon and Leonard actually serves all purposes.

Well, there was the Dogboy comment, the observation on the diabolical treatment in "Itchy Brain" and her dalliance with Penny as she got through her girl crush issues. She is a natural competitor to Leonard as long as Sheldon gets his wants met by him. I think she has to wait for Sheldon to cede her the advantage from his recognition of his sexual need, which should tip the balance. But, I don't get Sheldon. There was the Shelnard hug. Maybe he'll come back a convert. The show has room for more diversity. I doubt it, but?

Both Amy and Sheldon think of themselves as super-puppet-masters: they are intelligent and have spent most of their lives confined in places where intelligence affords an enormous advantages over your peers. But now they're playing with fire and failing quite spetacularly, both because their skills aren't that great and because they love the people they're manipulating too much to do what it takes.

Note the slick comment, Amy's cold reaction to Sheldon's non-breakup and to his growing old together rant, the Raiders/LHOTP episode, etc.

• Like 7

Both Amy and Sheldon think of themselves as super-puppet-masters: they are intelligent and have spent most of their lives confined in places where intelligence affords an enormous advantages over your peers. But now they're playing with fire and failing quite spetacularly, both because their skills aren't that great and because they love the people they're manipulating too much to do what it takes.

Note the slick comment, Amy's cold reaction to Sheldon's non-breakup and to his growing old together rant, the Raiders/LHOTP episode, etc.

I think a lot of what bothers Sheldon is the gradual loss of control implicit in loving people. He can't handle losing Leonard, Penny or Amy. What he needs to realize is that change is not loss. His comment in the recent Professor Proton episode is pertinent in that all the men he respected left him by dying.

• Like 6

@Lio I already liked your post but this is such a thorough analysis that I really wanted to say that I liked it very much!

Firstly, it kept me company through the bus ride back home and it was interesting as well as witty so thank you very much for that. There are some things I disagree with you but you but you analyze this so deeply that it's only logical. Anyway I don't even think my objections are on critical points. For, example I think that Lenny should have called Amy when they found out where Sheldon is simply because they knew she was worried about him. I mean even they got worried about him at some point. Even if Sheldon returned home wouldn't it have been perfectly logical if Leonard or Penny called her to let her know he is fine and at home?? But I cannot blame them because at least in my eyes the writers overlooked that it is logical that Amy would have find out or she would be brought up at some point because they needed create such a big cliffhanger. They meant not to give resolution (even if it wasn't the best way for me) so that people will tune in for season 8. So I blame them. Same with Penny's reaction. For me (and I cannot stress this enough this is just my opinion) the tag was one of the worst moments of Penny. But I cannot blame her really. It's all part of that ''why not make fun of Amy'' logic.

Plus the ''maybe it's for the best'' advice doesn't sit well with me. I am not saying Penny was wrong. On the contrary she was absolutely right. For Sheldon this is the best but is this the best for Amy?? Maybe it is but even if it is it will be on the long run after a considerable amount of hurt. And that is not something she chose or got to have a say. It was like someone pushed her into deep waters and now she has to swim even if she doesn't know how so that advice in addition to that bored expression she had on her face strikes me as a bit cynical (and look who's talking lol...).

Anyway, these are really meaningless aspects. I agree with pretty much the rest of your post. After we learned about the finale I posted something about Amy. I really want her to think during Sheldon's absence and actually question herself why she changed so much. To reconsider some things and re-evaluate them. Inevitably re-evaluate her relationship with Sheldon and her relationships in general. To realize her own mistakes and the situations when she shouldn't just be the patient good girlfriend. The only time that Amy really bugged me this season was with the table episode. That was manipulation and I wonder is that the relationship she wants to have?? One in which Sheldon will freak out every now and then and try to escape only for her to manipulate him back in?? I remember some people saying that she wasn't manipulating him just helped him to clear his head and think logically but she didn't actually adress the real problem. The real problem is that Sheldon cannot deal with change. She shouldn't cover his eyes and reassure him that everything is fine and that is what is backfiring at her. The whole moving in thing was probably the trigger they needed. They had an episode about that last year so they just had Amy say once or twice that she wanted to live with Sheldon and here you go. I still think that Amy has a perfect and so not true idea about what living with someone means. Probably filled with counterfactuals and tea (thanks to another brilliant post of yours on the shamy thread thank you very much again) and possibly with conventionally romantic evenings. That's why she needs to think and find herself again. Sheldon keeps her in an emotional rollercoaster with the mixed messages and a push and pull attitude so up to a point I can really see why she behaves the way she does. You said everything wonderfully about that so I won't say more. I just hope she will notice that she changed so much and even Sheldon tried to exploit her adoration at times he truly prefers the other Amy with Romance Resonace being the best example. He only appreciated the brutal truth.

But provided that the writers will handle this well all of that mess that drives us nuts causing feelings of love and hate withing seconds can be explained in a convincing way. Yes Amy used to be like Sheldon and his perfect match. Yes she changes very much cause she couldn't handle all the new things in her life. And now she realizes that and will adopt her new life to her character and not the other way around (I sense there is something seriously wrong about the way I said that but I guess you get the meaning). As I said Amy is a complex character and it just isn't believable when she is tread as a plot device or the joke of the show.

I want to believe that the times we got to see sassy and quirky Amy this season indicate she will go towards that. I mean it is more than obvious that she doesn't idolize Penny anymore. She loves her still but she can see her as she really is with her flaws and she still loves her which only makes it better to me. So I hope Sheldon comes closer to her next season just like he did with everyone but Amy and she stops putting him on a pedestal just like she did with Penny. I actually think this has great potential but the way I have it in my mind there is a lot of drama (why did they have to open that door??? now I just want more drama pfff ).

I have nothing else to comment on just that I agree with you and enjoyed your post. I was looking forward to it thank you for taking the time to write it.

• Like 3

[email protected] your post is so interesting! I agree with you in many ways.

I haven't posted my feelings on this episode yet because I'm so conflicted, and I suspect I'll remain conflicted thorough the summer. In the long run, I think that this was a beautiful episode and I understand how it all came to this. I also think that this was a very carefully constructed episode, and even some of the things people are complaining about, in particular in regards to Amy, had to happen the way they did in order to make it all strike the right metaphorical chords and play out correctly. Normally, Amy is always there to give Sheldon a safe place to land when he wants to bitch or is upset, but if the writers really want to retool him and have him leave at the end of the season, she can't be there to do that. If they really want to have Sheldon grow up finally, and split away from Leonard and Penny as his surrogate parents, they both had to throw a lot of things at him (work, comic book store, rethinking his living arrangements) AND at the same time they needed to make sure Amy wasn't going to give him a respite from the full impact of it. And they make it clear that she's going to be a problem from the beginning, when she subtly asks Penny what the living arrangements will be now that she and Leonard are engaged, because that's clearly what Amy has been thinking about lately. And just when Sheldon is reaching the climax of his rant about the cruelty of the cold hard world (how dare Leonard move on from him, how dare the university expect him to do his job) and getting ready for smart Amy to soothe him with her usual triple threat of strawberry Quik, words of wisdom, and ego-stroking, she tries to slip one more suggestion of change in there (why not, already so many), and it's the last straw for him. He's out of there. He has one last refuge, one last place he can regress back to the safety and comfort of childhood and childhood things, and that's the comic book store. He can regroup and feed his inner child there.

Er. Oops. Not quite. Even that is gone. (How dare you, Stuart! Sheldon has NEEDS.)

[...]

I agree with those who posted that the scene in the train station - which was beautiful and dark and moving beyond almost anything the show has ever shown before - really needed to be just between Leonard, Sheldon and Penny. Leonard and Penny had no idea they were going to find that Sheldon was running away when they got there, so there was no reason to call Amy. And they made the decision at the time which was the right one and the metaphorical parental one - it's time to ship our baby off and let him face his own choices and their consequences. No more enabling, no more babysitting, and in a way Penny is right - this should be good for him.

[...]

What about Amy? [...] being jilted by Sheldon is an opportunity for her to come to her senses as much as it is for Sheldon to come to his.

Sheldon's world are collapsing. And he runs away from a place to another one; from a problem to another one.

University: the principal does not allow him to change field of studies

Home: Leonard tells him that he will have to live alone

Amy's house: she suggests the possibility of living together

Comic book store: the place he needs when is sad went up in smoke

Metaphorically, the places of his daily life are no longer "his safe places". The train is. There he is confortable.

The journey has always been a metaphor for change and growth: you leave and let go something behind you, while you search something that will drive you to the destination.

When Sheldon will go back to his safe places, he will "live" there in a different way. I hope.

The train station scene was powerful, sweet and moving. I admit, I've empathized with Sheldon. He looks like lost and upset. And when he says "it doesn't matter", I thought I melt like a popsicle in the sun. For me, this scene made sense as it was. And I was glad to heard Penny say clearly they cuoldn't protect him forever. So we will not longer see Lenny act like a surrogate parents for Sheldon. I hope.

The Sheldon's departure will help both of Shamy. Their relationship was in a state of deadlock. Something had to happen. Something that forces them to meet face to face and decide if take the same or the opposite direction. I hope (for the first one).

Anyway, It was a great season finale. Maybe they would have to balance the tension between drama and comedy. Except in the opening scene where they shared the joy for Raj and the Lenny's engagement, I laughed hard only thanks to some Bernadette's line and in the Howerdette/Stuart/Ms "Debbie" Wolowitz' scene.

• Like 2