The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.24 'the Status Quo Combustion' (May 15)

Your Episode Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Really??

I thought Leonard for suggesting that Sheldon moving into Penny's apartment was a jerk and not a real friend to Sheldon according to you...

Just because I don't think the writers are meaning for the characters to be dysfunctional doesn't mean that any one of them can't do or say something stupid at any given time.

But, also, because I do not believe the writers intend the characters to be meanspirited, I don't think that they will have Leonard just arbitrarily throwing Sheldon's stuff out simply because he's not home to guard it.

I never said Leonard wasn't a real friend to Sheldon.  I said that he had no right to suggest that Sheldon should move out simply to accommodate L/P wanting to live together.

L/P can live together all they want, but they don't have the right to push Sheldon out of his own home in order to do so.  And I don't think Leonard would actually do it.  I just felt like the suggestion was rude.  And, apparently, so did Sheldon.

• Like 1

Just because I don't think the writers are meaning for the characters to be dysfunctional doesn't mean that any one of them can't do or say something stupid at any given time.

But, also, because I do not believe the writers intend the characters to be meanspirited, I don't think that they will have Leonard just arbitrarily throwing Sheldon's stuff out simply because he's not home to guard it.

I never said Leonard wasn't a real friend to Sheldon.  I said that he had no right to suggest that Sheldon should move out simply to accommodate L/P wanting to live together.

L/P can live together all they want, but they don't have the right to push Sheldon out of his own home in order to do so.  And I don't think Leonard would actually do it.  I just felt like the suggestion was rude.  And, apparently, so did Sheldon.

If I am correct , I remember you saying something along the lines of "If Leonard were really Sheldon's friend he would not have suggested such thing"....

If that suggestion was rude , so were lot of Sheldon's suggestions .... and his suggestion( or his decision) that Penny could stay with them based on his conditions.... who is he to assume or decide or suggest where Leonard and Penny were going to live......

@Phanta,

I definitely appreciate your perspective on the show in general. Honestly, there is a lot of value in taking what the show gives as it comes and enjoying the ride with the knowledge that everything is going to work out in the end. On one hand, I’m right there with ya, sister. I mean, I’m not one to get my panties in a bunch over every sideways glance or the connotations of every word of a given phrase. I’m well aware that we’re not dealing with Shakespeare here. I think, especially with episodes like this one, a broader perspective is a particularly wise one…it’ll certainly cut down on anxiety during the hiatus. Also, I definitely understand that the writers are not trying to craft characters with great psychological depth, nor are they trying to make bold statements about the motivations guiding their decisions. I’m well aware that this is broad comedy, and I do appreciate those that choose to appreciate it as such and leave it there. I don’t apologize but I do sympathize with those that find overanalyzing of the characters (however one might subjectively define it) tedious or fruitless, even. I do understand where you’re coming from.

On the other hand, I personally have been trained to spend my life analyzing (and yes overanalyzing) everything that comes at me, so I guess you can say that it’s how I get my kicks, and sure enough, forums are great places for finding those that also get their kicks from the same thing, and this happens to be a show that is pretty easy to analyze to death because despite its broad humor, I’m sure most people here can agree that these characters are written with a remarkable amount of complexity, so it’s easy for me to dip into psychological ideas when discussing them. Please know I’m not trying to diagnose anyone with any kind of “dysfunction” or “ailment”. Who the hell would I have to think I am to do that? ;) I do, however, make observations on behaviors exhibited by the characters and relate that to what I know about working relationships in order to try to reach an understanding about what might have been behind that behavior, which is something I think we all do to a degree.

As for the immovable/irresistible metaphor, I do hope that you’re right and it was never meant to be taken too literally. I never liked it, and I never thought it was a great way to frame the writing of a relationship. Perhaps that metaphor was just an answer to people asking questions? Perhaps it was more. It’s a matter of interpretation, again. Like you, I much prefer the turtle and snail metaphor, which is much less harsh and potentially destructive as the other one. But again, do the writers really have the implications of these things in mind when they say them, and more importantly, write with these ideas in mind? I think they do, but we can’t really know. Just like we can’t really know their intentions. Obviously, intention number one is to get laughs. That’s not really an issue. Past that, the individual dynamics of each relationship and the intentions behind each move is anyone’s guess. Again, I like to interpret things pretty deeply, and the characters do accommodate such deep interpretations pretty well, which is a huge compliment to the writers (despite their intentions ;)).

Let me also say that I agree that I don’t think the writers are trying to create melodrama here and show a relationship in turmoil *cue trashy daytime tv music*. Again, these are broad-brush writers, but just like analyzing the issues with Leonard and Penny’s relationship, like her commitment issues and indecision, insecurities on both sides (which are pretty deep issues that while written broadly and humorously, the writers still managed to address in a realistic way) led to fans speculating about their progress up to the point where they are now, the same is certainly true for the other characters. I do think that there is manipulation happening from both sides. Does that mean that they don’t need to be together? Of course not! Manipulation is incredibly common in relationships. It doesn’t mean that anyone is viciously mistreating anyone. This is how these two know how to operate. Someone (I think it was LMD…something…who was later to be named Frank) mentioned that Sheldon and Amy were both used to being “puppet masters” in their environments and manipulating others using their intelligence, and I agree with that. I would be surprised if there wasn’t an element of manipulation in their relationship as things start going into more uncharted territory. It’s what they know. This doesn’t make them mean-spirited…just the opposite…it shows them being naïve and struggling through an intimate relationship. Things are certainly not at all well in the relationship, and I think that they both obviously display some unhealthy patterns of behavior. This isn't an indictment on their fitness to be in a relationship, per se. It’s just an observation based on what these same behaviors can mean outside of TV land.

Frankly, to me, it’s not about whether or not the writers are thinking this deeply. Who knows what the writers are thinking? It’s about making sense of some behaviors that seem nonsensical and understanding a fictional dynamic in a deeper way. Again, no worries if it’s not your bag. Different strokes for different folks and all. For the record, I am ultimately on the same page with you fundamentally on most of this, Phanta, even if I travel around the world three times to get there. ;)

Speaking of intentions! I really didn’t mean for that come off harshly. Anyone who knows me I’m not a basher of Amy…or anything, really. Honestly, I don’t like the character Amy has become, and it pains me to say it. So much of how she handled things this season annoyed me as much as Sheldon typically does, and that’s not a standard I thought she’d ever reach! That doesn’t mean she’s ruined or awful or even bad. I still love her and all of the characters. I just wish that she made better choices and would communicate more openly and cut the manipulation. That can all be achieved pretty easily, since her character was originally much stronger and simply wonderful. There’s no reason she can’t be that again. And her reaction to everything in the finale could lead to that.

Or not.

At this point no one can really be sure of their intentions with any of it (likely including them). So we can spend our summer playing out our speculations in fan fics, (over)analysis, conclusion jumping, angst, gif-making, or good old fashioned drinking games. Do we have drinking games? If not, someone should get on that. 

Oh, I never intended to aim my comments at anyone in particular, really, and I apologize if you or anyone thought I was really saying that there's no good in psychoanalyzing the characters.

I do think we can all extrapolate certain aspects of the characters based on what we've been shown to be mostly consistent--and we can perhaps argue over the finer points.  How much does Sheldon wish to please his mother, etc..

At any rate, I know the fun and the occasional foolishness of trying to parse out the details of the inner life of a TV character.  I honed my skills during years of yammering on message boards about Mulder and Scully--and I still find myself talking about them, even to this day, over at The Haven.

But even there I often found myself on the cooler end of the discussions about whether or not Mulder really mouthed "I love you" (HE DIDN'T!!!) or if that was wishful thinking on someone's part, etc.

I always found myself trying to ask things like, was that scripted, subtext, or just David Duchovny accidentally licking his lips? :p

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Anyway, I do agree that for a bunch of sitcom characters, we have some interesting character fodder among these people, and the actors play them with subtlety and depth.  That's one of the things I really love about JP, for instance.  He's a trained and gifted actor and while he'd be the first to acknowledge that Big Bang is in many ways a comedy that is always going to take the funny way out, he still approaches his portrayal with seriousness and thought.

So, I'm certainly not saying that there's no point in digging as deep as one cares to dig.  I'm just saying, I guess, that I'm not conflicted or discouraged or infuriated or frustrated.  And I don't hate Amy... :p

• Like 5

Just watched the episode.. feeling conflicted on it. I could see that Sheldon was really frustrated and upset and I do think he should've left. The train scene was very well played and I do feel like it was LP sending their child away and I loved the moment when they finally let him go. I was very sad to see Amy at the end with the pillow, I didn't find that very funny.. I also didn't find the constant Mrs Wolowitz jokes funny.. I loved when Lenny were announcing their engagment and the girls hugged. 

I did think it was a good episode over all, just anxious about the possibilities that will come from it.

• Like 7

I was re-watching the episode tonight, and I happened to see something and want to check to see if anyone else saw it.  Did anyone else notice that Amy had a key out, like she was getting ready to unlock the door to the guys apartment?   To me it appeared she was going to unlock it, but heard voices and just entered the apartment, when Leonard and Penny were having dinner.   Does this suggest to anyone else that Amy has a key to the guys apartment?  At the rate Penny goes in and out of it, how close she lives, and her relationship with Leonard (and Sheldon), I would assume she would have one by now (as, I would assume, Leonard has one for 4B).  But, Amy giving the appearance of having one was a bit of  surprise, as there hasn't been anything else I've seen to indicate she had been giving one.

• Like 4

Yeah, I saw the keys too,Tensor. And while they looked a bit like car keys, it makes no sense she carried them all the way up in her hands from outside. Maybe it was a little sign thrown out there for fans that Amy has been given even more rights under the relationship agreement - could have come with the "in case of emergency contact Amy Farah Fowler" deal.

There's been a few episodes where Penny just seems to be in the guys apartment before them and considering she was willing to give them spare keys as early as the second episode of the whole series, it's a sure bet Leonard has keys. Probably why his keys make him sound like a warden - 4 keys!!

• Like 3

I felt like Bev was off in this episode .. I didn't like her here. I usually love her scenes, I don't know maybe she's better in person rather than Skype.

• Like 4

I felt like Bev was off in this episode .. I didn't like her here. I usually love her scenes, I don't know maybe she's better in person rather than Skype.

Yeah I agree with that too. I didn't really enjoyed her on the Raiders either. Maybe it's the skype idk.

I was re-watching the episode tonight, and I happened to see something and want to check to see if anyone else saw it. Did anyone else notice that Amy had a key out, like she was getting ready to unlock the door to the guys apartment? To me it appeared she was going to unlock it, but heard voices and just entered the apartment, when Leonard and Penny were having dinner. Does this suggest to anyone else that Amy has a key to the guys apartment? At the rate Penny goes in and out of it, how close she lives, and her relationship with Leonard (and Sheldon), I would assume she would have one by now (as, I would assume, Leonard has one for 4B). But, Amy giving the appearance of having one was a bit of surprise, as there hasn't been anything else I've seen to indicate she had been giving one.

I noticed it the first time I saw the episode and already have headcannoned that she has a key to the guys apartment.

To me, the Skype sessions of Dr. Bev allow her to be colder and much more distant and dismissive. She was down right mean in the last two sessions, she does not want to be bothered with the goings on of Leonard and "Pen-ny" :girldevil:

Edited by BangerMain

I was re-watching the episode tonight, and I happened to see something and want to check to see if anyone else saw it.  Did anyone else notice that Amy had a key out, like she was getting ready to unlock the door to the guys apartment?   To me it appeared she was going to unlock it, but heard voices and just entered the apartment, when Leonard and Penny were having dinner.   Does this suggest to anyone else that Amy has a key to the guys apartment?  At the rate Penny goes in and out of it, how close she lives, and her relationship with Leonard (and Sheldon), I would assume she would have one by now (as, I would assume, Leonard has one for 4B).  But, Amy giving the appearance of having one was a bit of  surprise, as there hasn't been anything else I've seen to indicate she had been giving one.

I noticed, as well, that Amy seemed to have a key to 4A. It struck me as very odd since Sheldon giving her a key so she could come in unannounced is very OOC. Penny has had the emergency key for almost the duration of the show and we saw her use it for Bernadette and Amy  during "Bakersfield" in season 6. It has not been an emergency key anymore since it gives her access to he boyfriend/fiance. And Leonard would not give Amy a key since she can be a creepy pest who has overstayed her welcome several times.

Why Sheldon would give Amy a key is puzzling since it certainly is not for a surprise "booty call".

Edited by BangerMain

I didn't like the video call too. The scene didn't tell us more than what we knew about the conflicting relationship between Leonard and his mother. It seemed an end to itelf. Even without that scene, the episode would have been the same.

Edited by Nevermind
  • Like 1

I noticed, as well, that Amy seemed to have a key to 4A. It struck me as very odd since Sheldon giving her a key so she could come in unannounced is very OOC. Penny has had the emergency key for almost the duration of the show and we saw her use it for Bernadette and Amy  during "Bakersfield" in season 6. It has not been an emergency key anymore since it gives her access to he boyfriend/fiance. And Leonard would not give Amy a key since she can be a creepy pest who has overstayed her welcome several times.

Leonard is a pushover. Well, not exactly, but he is too kind. Maybe she just asked for one and he didn't know how to refuse.

Or maybe it's some kind of RA thing: she is Sheldon's emergency contact, after all...

Edited by LMD3014

Sheldon has a key to her apartment (The Fish Guts Displacement) so he probably gave her a key to his apartment. But I also think it was simply her car keys because of the black parts peeking out of her hand. American cars now have a build-in alarm that is part of the key. The key is covered in a black case thing (I don't know what it's called) that holds the components to the alarm that goes to the car. Hope that makes since.

• Like 2

I would buy the car key thing, if she wasn't standing at the door with the key out. If it was a car key, it would have been in a pocket or her purse by the time she got to the fourth floor. Not, being held as if she was getting ready to unlock something. Also, my daughters apartment key has one of those black things also. It doesn't do anything, it's just the way the keys in the apartment block are. I do thno that Amy has a key, just surprised me.

I don't so well the scene with the keys but I don't know if we can determine if they were her car keys or keys to the apartment. I don't find it odd that she maybe just forgot she was holding her car keys but the think is that she wasn't really at her car before. So did the writers want to indicate something or it was just a touch to indicate she went there by car?? I find equally plausible that they were car keys or keys to the apartment.

Personally I think they were her car keys but I don't think it's OOC for Sheldon to have given her a pair. Amy in general is really respective of his personal space and I could totally see him giving her a pair in case of an emergency.

• Like 2

I might be the only one but I immediately analyzed Leonard's keys when Sheldon said he had 4 keys on his key chain. I assume they are for his apartment, Penny's apartment, his car, and the university. Nothing really exciting came up but this is what my brain originally went to.

Also I do think Amy had a key to Sheldon's apartment and I think that is adorable. :)

• Like 2

I didn't like the video call too. The scene didn't tell us more than what we knew about the conflicting relationship between Leonard and his mother. It seemed an end to itelf. Even without that scene, the episode would have been the same.

I think the video call, as does Penny's call to her mom, is a way of acknowledging their engagement to their world. A way of making it real?

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 4

I would buy the car key thing, if she wasn't standing at the door with the key out. If it was a car key, it would have been in a pocket or her purse by the time she got to the fourth floor. Not, being held as if she was getting ready to unlock something. Also, my daughters apartment key has one of those black things also. It doesn't do anything, it's just the way the keys in the apartment block are. I do thno that Amy has a key, just surprised me.

I "play" (mostly keep holding them in my hand) with my keys sometimes, particularly when nervous or thinking... maybe she was doing that?

Edited by LMD3014
  • Like 1

Kelli, Mayim, as is Melissa, are signed through the end of season ten. Actually, they've been signed to the end of season 10 since they became regulars. They recently renegotiated their contracts, so Amy will be on the show in some form until the currently planned end at the end of season 10.

exactly.. that's why i'm sure our Shamy will pull through... :)  :)  ( eventually...until then, torture for us)

their door is usually unlocked when someone is in the house( she literally expected Sheldon to be home and heard voices so she went in - as someone else stated). Amy always drives to Sheldon's so i think that they were her car keys and she had been fiddling with them until she climbed the stairs to apartment 4A.

Me too.  She wasn't dressed professionally at all and her voice wasn't as haughty either.  Of course, the outfit could've been because she did the scene while also taping 'The Good Wife' so instead of having her change they figured it would be easier if she put something over her outfit.

their door is usually unlocked when someone is in the house( she literally expected Sheldon to be home and heard voices so she went in - as someone else stated). Amy always drives to Sheldon's so i think that they were her car keys and she had been fiddling with them until she climbed the stairs to apartment 4A.

She was holding ONE KEY, from the back, with the stem of the key sticking out, like people who are unlocking locks in a doorknob hold keys. I don know anyone who fiddles with keys like that, perhaps you do.

People mentioned it earlier and I rewatched awhile ago.  I think they are car keys..................

I "play" (mostly keep holding them in my hand) with my keys sometimes, particularly when nervous or thinking... maybe she was doing that?

To look at that scene. She is holding the base of one key, in her fingers, with stem of the key sticking out, like she is getting ready to unlock the door.