The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.24 'the Status Quo Combustion' (May 15)

Your Episode Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

She's his girlfriend and should of been there imo

Look on the bright side though, Sheldon did not plan on saying good bye to Leonard and Penny. They just showed up. It's not like Sheldon said he was leaving and then invited Leonard and Penny to send him off but not his girlfriend.

That being said, I still so so so so badly wanted Amy to be there! I was waiting till the end to see if she would burst out of the shadows. My beef is with Leonard and Penny not with Sheldon. Just my opinion.

• Like 3

Look on the bright side though, Sheldon did not plan on saying good bye to Leonard and Penny. They just showed up. It's not like Sheldon said he was leaving and then invited Leonard and Penny to send him off but not his girlfriend.

That being said, I still so so so so badly wanted Amy to be there! I was waiting till the end to see if she would burst out of the shadows. My beef is with Leonard and Penny not with Sheldon. Just my opinion.

I don't really have "beef" with anyone regarding how things turned out.

I can understand each party in it, it's just a sad combination of events.

I'm sorry, I just don't see that.

Or this. IMHO she loves Leonard very much and her friends, including Sheldon, as well. This is what I see on the show. And she only mothers Sheldon because he acts like a child. Perhaps it's enabling, but I don't think it's purposeful. She certainly is not using him!

Letting him go is tough love. Like dropping your kid at kindergarten. Only Sheldon is in his 30's and he is making his own decisions. Why should a grown man be stopped from doing what he wants to do. It's all on Sheldon - or one is denying that Sheldon has the capacity to make choices for himself.

Penny and Leonard were giving him the respect a grown man would deserve. Like Dr Manhattan did with Rorschach. Only without the irrevocable disintegration. :)

• Like 3

Once they tracked him down to the station, they should of got Amy there or at least told her instead of telling her later

• Like 4

Once they tracked him down to the station, they should of got Amy there or at least told her instead of telling her later

Actually given the circumstance I think they handled it very well. Sheldon will get his space for a while and when he is ready he will see Amy. Good relationships are resilient relationships.

He will be back.

tumblr_inline_mx93r7aoEn1qb29b4.gif

• Like 4

Sure he will be back, that's not the point though

He already visited Amy and in his mind she did not help. He did not want to have her see him off. He just wanted to leave. That is the point!

He wanted to be soothed but the comic book store was burnt to the ground. So he goes to the train station so that the clickety-clack can sooth him. Gosh have you never just needed to be by yourself for a while to cope. Sometimes there is no should.

"The Big Bang Theory" The Terminator Decoupling 

Sheldon:    Sit back, enjoy the clickety-clack of the steel wheels on the polished rails!

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 5

OK, where to start?

First, thanks again to everyone I had share intense moments with, the last months of this season 7.  :friends: 
It was great to fangirl about the couple I ship or just to enjoy things with you guys. It means a lot to me. :wub:

Now, about this last episode. 
When I read the taping report, I was so angry / scared / sad I couldn't figure how things will go when I would be watching it.

Now it's done, I can tell that it was just brilliant !

Seriously, the scenes were well written and everything was just logical? 
For example, as a long time singer, I learned that when you sing all along as you're pulling on a thread and that things came naturally, that's a very good sign.
This is how I felt about this episode. everything was just right on time, the rythm of each scene was perfect !

About Penny and Leonard: I'm happy for them. Really. They just seem to be perfect for each other. Penny is more mature and they learned a lot from the other the last years.
I don't ship them but that's great they finally got engaged and I'm waiting for a beautiful big wedding in season 8 :)

Bernadette and Howard (and Howard's mother): Great married couple. Happy for them too. I'm glad they asked Stuart to take care about Debbie (even if that's weird for them he takes things so easily haha)

Raj & Emily: Yay to my new favourite couple !!! I wish Emily was there in the last episode and I'm so hoping that she will be a recurrent character in the season 8. I love them both together. 
Raj finally got laid. It was about time hahaha :D

Sheldon / Amy / Shamy: I think it was a very hard time for Sheldon and I don't think he's acting like a jerk. He just freaked out and that is logical since he can't handle change.
And I truly think he needs to get some rest after all that happened. I hope he will be back, still IC but less manchild. 
About Amy, I can't help but I feel sad. Really sad. I don't think she pushed him too hard this time, she was just herself. 
About Shamy, that wasn't the end I was waiting for. Of course, I was disappointed when I read the taping report. But now I'm just fine. I'm sure writers won't destroy them. And maybe this little drama time is necessary for Amy as for Sheldon to really know what they need alone & together.
Edited by Chrystalie
  • Like 1

And what would have happened if she had been there? Would she have begged him to stay only to have him tell her no? Would that have been better? She simply would have been putting more pressure on him because of what she wants, bpnit because of what he might need. And if he had given in to her and stayed, what would that have accomplished?

They could have had the talk that Sheldon and Lenny now had.

He would still have left, but on better terms with Amy.

• Like 1

They could have had the talk that Sheldon and Lenny now had.

He would still have left, but on better terms with Amy.

But it was not Amy's place to have that talk with Leonard because of their different roles in his life and, again, because it wasn't about leaving her. If she had been there then it would have made it look like he was leaving because of her, or, worse, would have made her look bad if she had had the same attitude in the train station that she had after she got off the phone.

I don't think he left on bad terms with her. I don't think she even thought that they had had any kind of spat. She knew he was upset, but she also knew, IMO, that it wasn't about their relationship, going by the way she was when she stopped by looking for him. They told her that he probably needed to be alone and she agreed.

She wasn't wringing her hands over anything he had said to her or acting like she was an emotional wreck. She was simply wondering if he were okay, and was reassured by L/P and basically dropped it once she asked what they were doing.

Edited by phantagrae

But it was not Amy's place to have that talk with Leonard because of their different roles in his life and, again, because it wasn't about leaving her. If she had been there then it would have made it look like he was leaving because of her, or, worse, would have made her look bad if she had had the same attitude in the train station that she had after she got off the phone.

Maybe, maybe not.

I think it was just as much Amy's place as Leonards to be there, but it's ok to disagree on that.

• Like 2

I thought it was a very good finale and Sheldon riding the rails was not as contrived as some of the going off for the summer finales.

Sheldon reached a logical conclusion in his mind that he needed to get away to have some thinking time to himself so he

can get a handle on what's going on in his life. He needs to do this, otherwise he'd have spent the entire summer being insufferable to everyone

around him, especially Amy. Leonard and Penny looked comfortable together, and no big over reactions to the prospect of living together.

I felt sad for Stuart but he'll get back on his feet eventually, no idea if they will turn Stuart and Howard's mother into a couple, but I guess it could open

a whole new minefield of jokes for Howard to use. Add in an appearance from Howard's father and you've got some Howard drama ready to go.

There is no way Penny or anyone else would use Sheldon, he is simply not worth the aggravation no matter the benefit. To accuse Penny of using him is preposterous to the point of being funny.

Sheldon might be a bit slow on social interactions but he's too smart to be used for any length of time. Penny has been very patient with Sheldon over the seasons and sometimes knows how to

handle Sheldon better than Leonard does. But she's smart enough to know that Sheldon needs time to himself. Sheldon's mocking reactions to Penny and Leonard at the train station were there

for the comedy and to also show that Sheldon does care about the both of them. Otherwise he'd have just got on the first train at the station and not sat waiting for Leonard to track him down via his

phone tracking software. Hence the comment about chasing a balloon for 3 miles. It was a thoughtful finale, and was much better than the taping reports indicated.

And you have to keep in mind that Sheldon, Leonard and Penny are the 3 main characters in the show, it's about time we had some growth in the friendship between all 3.

It would not have stopped Sheldon from leaving and would have likely just caused Amy more hurt, given how combustible Sheldon is at

all the changes going on. It was a moment between Leonard and Sheldon long time friends and room mates, with Penny nudging Leonard into letting Sheldon do what he

has to do - get on a train so he can process all the changes and hopefully come back in a better frame of mind. I know Shamy fans want everything to be honky dory between

Sheldon and Amy, but that frankly flies in the face of Sheldon's character. It's going to take a long while before Sheldon and Amy get to a point where they can

live together let alone get physical. Both characters have some growing up to do. You may not want to hear that, but that's just how things are.

In fact I think Amy's reaction at the end of the episode was perfectly judged, it wasn't funny just Amy letting her all frustrations and anger out using

Leonard as her punchbag. Those are the moments the Big Bang Theory does well to me anyway.

I don't ship characters or couples in shows, as it detracts from enjoying shows for what they are. Sheldon and Amy is a long game and you will just

have to patient for the pay off. I do want to see Shamy have a happy ending, but it's going to be a long game if it happens at all.

• Like 2

Maybe, maybe not.

I think it was just as much Amy's place as Leonards to be there, but it's ok to disagree on that.

If anything no one should have been there. Leonard should have let him go without a word. Sheldon should of contacted Amy before leaving.

Why is it up to Lenny to get Amy to the station? if Sheldon wanted her there he could of called her.All this blaming Lenny is just making excuses for Sheldon.
  • Like 4

Just watched the show.  I was so eager while watching... but as a huge shamy fan, I have to admit that I feel let down.

The show was good... loved the part at the train station.  I really like the way they portrayed Sheldon's fight with himself and I also loved Lenny during this episode, and it was nice to see leonard and penny taking on the sheltering role again for Sheldon.  I think the things that penny told leonard in convincing Sheldon to go at the station were spot on and I agree that it was what needed to take place. 

But then the tag came and I'm left feeling deflated.  I really thought Sheldon would end up at Amy's doorstep, grab her, and leave us with a big shamy bang to die over during the summer.  But it didn't happen.

It was funny though the way that amy hit leonard with the pillows.  It was a good episode, but not what I expected for the finale (shamy-wise) after this season especially. 

Edited by BazingaFan

But when the hero starts his quest to make himself worthy  he never says - "hey I'm off to make myself worthy - don't wait up." He scurries off in the dark to avoid detection and perhaps avoiding being hero-blocked.  It's a very grown up thing he is doing. Not sure if Amy will be happy where it ends but good on Sheldon for making the effort. And the (adorable) Hofstadters were right to let him go. He is trying to put on those big boy pants - but whether he can is going to be interesting. Ra's al Ghul is out there  waiting - or maybe whomever is Sheldon's Ra's al Ghul. And he didn't ever allow Amy  the acceptance he should accord a genuine girlfriend, and IMO she was just too docile. Her vent at the end was hysterically funny and maybe predictive. And I'm sorry, but Penny's look was priceless. Penny is more the "treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen" kind of girl and gets respect for that. Not that she is busting on Leonard this episode.

Thumbs up and onwards!

• Like 6

Now that I've let things sink in, here are some of my thoughts, even though I still feel deflated (and I apologize if I'm repeating anything).  Sheldon going away I suppose makes sense, and in a way, it's a mature thing to do, given the fact that he recognizes that he needs time to himself to think rather than just running away from his problems.  that's a positive spin on it, but given that this is Sheldon, I suppose it makes sense.

What I think they are going to do?  Perhaps while Sheldon is gone, Amy meets someone.  She learns a few things herself -- has time to think, just like him.  He comes back, and guess what?  She's not his doormat anymore.  Perhaps this needs to happen, like it did with the Lenny, so that Amy can mature and grow in herself just like Leonard did.  Perhaps.  Another positive spin, but this is what I'm thinking might happen.  A season of shamy broken up would be interesting, to say the least, especially if it drives Sheldon crazy.

Just my two cents.  We will see what happens.

• Like 2

But when the hero starts his quest to make himself worthy he never says - "hey I'm off to make myself worthy - don't wait up." He scurries off in the dark to avoid detection and perhaps avoiding being hero-blocked. It's a very grown up thing he is doing. Not sure if Amy will be happy where it ends but good on Sheldon for making the effort. And the (adorable) Hofstadters were right to let him go. He is trying to put on those big boy pants - but whether he can is going to be interesting. Ra's al Ghul is out there waiting - or maybe whomever is Sheldon's Ra's al Ghul. And he didn't ever allow Amy the acceptance he should accord a genuine girlfriend, and IMO she was just too docile. Her vent at the end was hysterically funny and maybe predictive. And I'm sorry, but Penny's look was priceless. Penny is more the "treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen" kind of girl and gets respect for that. Not that she is busting on Leonard this episode.

Thumbs up and onwards!

I have no problem with him wanting to go off and do whatever it is he needs to do but I just don't like the way it was shown

" Shrugs"

I thought the episode was excellent.  I thought the part with Howard and Bernie was pretty funny watching them try and work out the issues with his mom.  I thought Raj was Raj.  He finally has a girlfriend and he just wants to talk about it and for his friends to share in his joy. 

I thought Lenny was great tonight.  The conversations with their parents were interesting.  I was surprised a little at Leonard's mom.  I though that she liked Penny but the way that she said Penny's name and her "acceptance of her" because Sheldon was o.k. with it along with her telling Leonard that he needs to keep working on getting her approval for his life choices just highlights what jerk she is.  However, I do think they are setting up for some interesting episodes in the future in regards to Leonard's relationship with his mother.  I really hope to see Leonard stand up to her some time next year.  I also think with Beverly's reaction about Penny that there could be an interesting development in that relationship.  I was surprised though because I thought that Beverly liked Penny.

I also began to see a different side to Penny tonight.  She has always been insightful but tonight in respect to Sheldon and Leonard I thought that she had real positive impact.  She was able to recognize what both Leonard and Sheldon needed.  She saw that Leonard needs to learn that he cannot take care of Sheldon forever.  Since she and Leonard are getting married Leonard is going to have to let Sheldon go some.  As for Sheldon, I think she saw what he needed.  She cares for him too, but I think that she sees him as a child that needs to grow up and that since he wants to do what he is doing she is willing to let him.  The difference that I saw was that she seemed to be treating Leonard different.  She said that she would try to do a better job at cooking, which I can see her turning to Raj for help there.  But, it seemed that at the train station she seemed to really be backing up Leonard. 

As for the issues with Sheldon, I think that Sheldon is having to face the reality that the world does not revolve around him and that he is not God no matter how hard he may try to be.  What I mean by this is that he cannot control the world the way he thinks.  He is learning that he cannot stop change from happening and that life does not bend to his will.  I like Sheldon, but he can be mean and disrespectful to others.  A good example is the way he reacted to Stewart at the comic book store.  IMO he really did not show any interest in Stewart or the problems he was facing with the store burning down, all Sheldon could think about was how "his world" was changing to much and the place that he went to when he was having a hard time was gone.  There have also been many times especially during this past season where he has been quite mean to Amy.  He seems to take her for granted, like with the strawberry quick.  Sheldon is facing a soul searching time and Penny is right, he has to face it on his own.  The part with Amy hitting Leonard at the end with pillows I know was meant to be funny and it was a little imo, but I could have done with out it.  I think Amy needs some time for self-reflection as well.  I think for those who are Shamy fans they may have to endure a little of what Lenny's had to endure in Season 4 with Penny having to sort out her feelings for Leonard.  I think Shamy will be o.k. in time but it is going to have to go through the storm first.

• Like 7

Penny and Leonard were giving him the respect a grown man would deserve. Like Dr Manhattan did with Rorschach. Only without the irrevocable disintegration. :)

LOL, thank you for that mental image. It will sustain me through the summer.

• Like 2

From the moment of the botched drunken proposal and the repercussions of the decisions made, I personally think the writers made a conscious decision to refocus all attention on the central relationship of the show - Sheldon, Leonard and Penny - with the other characters getting important but temporary story lines to fit in with their story. This finale was really the tipping point of that three way relationship and a fitting ending to how it is probably going to be forever changed, much to Sheldon's disgust.

Sheldon's in character reaction of their living arrangements started in episode 13 when he weighed in on Lenny's argument, with him thinking it was all about the future of the three of them together - are you ever going to get married and if so where are WE going to live.

The Table was all about a power struggle between the 3 of them over who has control of the apartment and who has greater influence over Leonard. Sheldon won the first but Penny showed his influence over Leonard was weakening.

While the Shamy kiss was a massive moment (which I loved) in Locomotion for the Shamy ship which probably really built up their hopes for a massive Shamy finale that sadly didn't eventuate, there was a subtle important subplot for Penny and Leonard in them choosing just to have alone time, which became more and more prevalent in these last three episodes as they solidified their relationship as Sheldon got less one to one time with his long time friends. During this time the writers started building Sheldon's relationships with Howard and Raj and his boyfriend feelings for Amy continued to grow, a change that he both embraced and resisted. To me this was to build up alternatives to the central dependency he has had on Lenny from the beginning of the show.

As Penny and Leonard's inevitable path to engagement/marriage continued to build, there was going to be massive repercussions for Sheldon's homeostasis, which as far back as ep 2 season 6, he wanted maintained as Penny and Leonard together for him, first and foremost.

It is at this late point in the current season where the writers start being 'cruel' to Sheldon by strengthening his relationship with Lenny only to tear it down at the end. Suddenly there are more Sheldon/Penny/Leonard and Shenny ( dreaded for some) scenes as the importance of these relationships are built up at the expense of the Shamy one. The psychic scene, the haircut, the early morning Shenny chat, Sheldon suddenly taking Penny's advice seriously, the Shelnard hugs, the increased concern Leonard starts feeling for his "buddy" when for much of Season 7 and a lot of 6 there was a lot of disdain and angst, all of these focused on the relationship of the big three, all of which was going to be shattered by the inevitable marriage of Penny. and Leonard. Which in a very long winded way brings us to the final episode.

Yes, massive changes were gradually building up that was eating away at our "I can't handle change " Sheldon. Mum sex, string theory doubt, comic book store burning, not getting his way at the university, Protons death, and of course, very importantly, his increasing romantic "sex on my mind whether I realise it or not" relationship with Amy all had varying degrees of effect on his final breakdown in the season finale. But far outweighing this, in my opinion, is the change in his life caused by Leonard and Penny getting engaged and planning to live without Sheldon. While hugs and smiles came from everywhere else when they announced their engagement to the group, Sheldon was almost stony faced and approached neither of them before Rajs interruption. And look at how strangely excited he was with Rajs news in comparison. The discussion with Leonard shows how implausible his opinion of how he fits in their married life and includes a meltdown far worse and more sustained than the one he had with Amy. Even the discussion with Amy is heavily focused on his disgust with Leonard and penny's engagements effect on his life. His fight with Amy is part sarcasm, albeit cruel in a way - with Leonard it's pure anger and absolute disbelief. His final words to Amy are directed at her but 50% of it is about Leonard ( and indirectly Penny).

Which leads us to the final chapter of the great change in the Lenny/Sheldon relationship - the train station. Sheldon in his own words is overwhelmed and needs time to consider this massive change. I find it interesting that Leonard and particularlyPenny always used the word "We" in this conversation. "we were worried about you" we need to let him go" They show great concern and love for him, Leonard in particular, but penny also in her familiar Sheldon's surrogate mother role. But this I where the change is happening. They can't be his mum and dad anymore - Leonard tries one last time with the Legoland promise, echoing the Disneyland trip and robot deal in season 3. It's their turn to focus on each other now, not him. And this I what Sheldon has to go away and figure out. He has to move out of mum and dad's house, get out on his own and grow up.

A final little nuance I picked up in this scene that drives this home is how Penny and Leonard arrive at the station and how they leave. The come into the station as two individuals looking for their lost child. Significantly for this over analytical viewer, they leave holding hands, representing the change in the relationship. It's not Sheldon and Lenny as weird little family, it's Lenny joined as one, starting a new life together without Sheldon, with of course Sheldon still not getting it with his "of course you will" a miss me line.

So for me, it really was all about the big 3. Shamy is still on track. Their phone conversation ends with "I'll talk to you tomorrow" and Amy acknowledging he sounds fine. They're still talking and he's still thinking about her. Obviously I'm expressing a very different take on this than some here and many will vehemently disagree with my thesis. For me, the pillow bashing of Leonard is Amy expressing her frustration of being without Sheldon. She obviously misses being with him and is having difficultly dealing with that. She doesn't know how long he will be away and that is weighing on her because she is used to having him in her life and fears being alone in the meantime because her bestie is probably going to be more preoccupied with her own life than in the past. I'm not going to weigh in on the debate about whether Lenny let Amy down or whether she deserved a farewell from Sheldon. I'll only be repeating what others have already said. But I do think and hope that the Shamy relationship can grow in season 8 because the bond between Sheldon, Leonard and Penny has been necessarily weakened so that the Shamy Bond can be strengthened as a consequence.

Whew!, that was probably too much waffle about an idea that didn't even come to me until I watched this episode.....and I didn't even get to mention how happy I am for Raj and how good Stuart was.

What an outstanding synopsis! What I'm hoping (as a huge Leonard & Penny fan) is that the writers and TPTB keep this situation moving forward so that Leonard and Penny(as well as Sheldon and Amy) can continue their path in and toward an adult relationship(s).

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes I did it was very funny. But I did not notice wine glass size. Looked normal size to me. Will go back and check.

Could not amy and Sheldon have gone together on the train?

It was funny amy hitting him with the pillow. I love how she was screaming that crazy stuff at him. Funny as hell. Did you notice how many time penny had to hold her face from laughing at something.

Did you also happen to notice Bernie downing a whole glass in one swig?

Edited by gwhh