The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.24 'the Status Quo Combustion' (May 15)

Your Episode Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

The episode didn't sting as bad as I thought it would. Overall, the only thing I am annoyed with is having to wait the entire summer.

Sheldon needed to be slapped in the face with reality. He is going to be forced to finally realize that things are going to change, whether he likes it or not, and he has absolutely no control over it. Should he have run away? Not sure how I feel about that; I don't think it was the option that made the most sense, but I believe it will work itself out in the beginning of S8.

It was inevitable for him to hit rock bottom, that is the only way change will come forth.

As for Penny, I have really grown to dislike her as well. She does seem self-absorbed a lot of the time and her 'holier than thou' attitude drives me nuts. But, that's just me. Oh well.

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 5

Like others I don't think Penny and Sheldon are at all alike. There is simply some parallels in their situations 

Perhaps the loss of comic books will allow some growth in these characters. Maybe it is even a metaphor for growing up.

The loss of the comic book store does seem like a symbolic metaphor in a way - but I hope it doesn't mean a fundamental shift in the nature of the show - from the geekiness of four guys who enjoy comic books, sci-fi and other geeky stuff, who are awkwardly learning about relationships  for the first time - to a couples show where Lenny, Shamy, Howardette and Raj and Emily are off in their own corners wondering what they are are going to have for dinner, that would change the nature of the show from what drew me to it in the first place and make it to much like Friends, which would be a tragedy - growing up is over rated :)

• Like 1

So Amy beating Leonard with a cushion was a sign of her happiness.??

I didn't say she was happy about it after she found out that he left town.  I'm saying that she wasn't unhappy after he stormed out of her apartment.  She was concerned about him because she knew how upset he was and he wasn't answering his phone, but she wasn't weeping and tearing her hair out over their conversation.

The scene at the end was two-fold, I believe.  I think she was probably mad that Leonard hadn't made SHeldon stay--but we know that it was right for him to let Sheldon go and that if they had forced him to come home, it wouldn't have made anything any better.  I think it would have just delayed another inevitable meltdown.

But I think the other part of that scene was simply the comedic juxtaposition of her very even, cool-headed conversation with Sheldon, calmly saying that he sounded fine, with the over-the-top thing with the cushion.  That was the punchline.

• Like 3

I would just like to applaud Mayim's acting in the tag scene. She made it a very emotional scene with just a hint of comedy squeezed in. Just my opinion.

• Like 6

The episode didn't sting as bad as I thought it would. Overall, the only thing I am annoyed with is having to wait the entire summer.

Sheldon needed to be slapped in the face with reality. He is going to be forced to finally realize that things are going to change, whether he likes it or not, and he has absolutely no control over it. Should he have run away? Not sure how I feel about that; I don't think it was the option that made the most sense, but I believe it will work itself out in the beginning of S8.

It was inevitable for him to hit rock bottom, that is the only way change will come forth.

As for Penny, I have really grown to dislike her as well. She does seem self-absorbed a lot of the time and her 'holier than thou' attitude drives me nuts. But, that's just me. Oh well.

I think that Shamy fans are going to look back and thank Penny for being there. If Sheldon and Amy had been at the train station odds are it would of led to Sheldon breaking up with her. Then there would of been complaining at why they didn't just let Sheldon go. I must have missed the self absorbed and holier than thou attitude of Penny. It seems only some of the Shamy fans are suggesting that. I must of had the marijuana that Sheldon thought Leonard had.

• Like 1

I must have missed the self absorbed and holier than thou attitude of Penny. It seems only some of the Shamy fans are suggesting that. I must of had the marijuana that Sheldon thought Leonard had.

I'm sensing that as well. I feel that some Shamy fans didn't get what they've been pining for--a Big Emotional Shamy Scene--and are lashing out, even if they don't realize it.

• Like 2

I think that Shamy fans are going to look back and thank Penny for being there. If Sheldon and Amy had been at the train station odds are it would of led to Sheldon breaking up with her. Then there would of been complaining at why they didn't just let Sheldon go. I must have missed the self absorbed and holier than thou attitude of Penny. It seems only some of the Shamy fans are suggesting that. I must of had the marijuana that Sheldon thought Leonard had.

I don't think Amy should have been at the train station. I don't believe I ever said that. In fact, I would have been angry if she were there.

Regarding Penny, I'm not just talking about this episode, my dislike for her started in the end of S5/beginning of S6. I don't care for the way she treats Amy and Bernadette. In my opinion, she acts like she's better than all of them (the guys included) and it's really come to show in the past few seasons.

My dislike for her has nothing to do with Shamy's relationship, at all.

I would just like to applaud Mayim's acting in the tag scene. She made it a very emotional scene with just a hint of comedy squeezed in. Just my opinion.

Yes, she nailed it. As always. :)

Queen!

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 3

Regarding Penny, I'm not just talking about this episode, my dislike for her started in the end of S5/beginning of S6. I don't care for the way she treats Amy and Bernadette. In my opinion, she acts like she's better than all of them (the guys included) and it's really come to show in the past few seasons.

Then do you like Sheldon?....... He acts like he is better than everyone in the world and feels rest should act as his servants..

see how Sheldon acted as if Stuart was wrong in not feeling sorry for Sheldon but feeling sorry for himself when his comic book burnt out...

Edited by vasu
  • Like 4

I don't think Amy should have been at the train station. I don't believe I ever said that. In fact, I would have been angry if she were there.

My dislike for her has nothing to do with Shamy's relationship, at all.

I'm not sure what you mean because I don't really recall anything. Considering though the last half of the season she really hasn't had a job so I don't see how Penny thought she was better. I will say last night she was certainly smarter than Amy and Leonard.

Then do you like Sheldon?....... He acts like he is better than everyone in the world and feels rest should act as his servants..

see how Sheldon acted as if Stuart was wrong in not feeling sorry for Sheldon but feeling sorry for himself when his comic book burnt out...

Are you expecting people to be unbiased? LOL

Regarding Penny, I'm not just talking about this episode, my dislike for her started in the end of S5/beginning of S6. I don't care for the way she treats Amy and Bernadette. In my opinion, she acts like she's better than all of them and it's really come to show in the past few seasons.

Well then you'd be appalled at the way most would treat Amy, because all the harassing remarks and the way she nearly sexually assaulted her at the slumber party would have gotten her slapped with a big ol' restraining order. Penny has never acted like she is better than them, and Bernadette has the holier than thou attitude. A self-absorbed person would not have been 1/10 as patient and accepting with Sheldon/Amy as Penny has. She teases them for liking video games, so what? She also watches the things they like constantly, as evidenced in Proton, though I'm sure the gesture is not reciprocated. Sheldon insults all of them and sees them as nothing more than his servants, but I'm sure that doesn't bother you in the least. 

But it seems you and stardust are working overtime to blame Penny for Sheldon's shortcomings, perhaps because Leonard and Penny showed themselves stable and mature while Shamy showed themselves to be woefully childish, inconsiderate, and violent (the last two describe Amy). Thus, you blame Penny for Sheldon's negative qualities, though they have always been at the core of his character. 

• Like 3

Well then you'd be appalled at the way most would treat Amy, because all the harassing remarks and the way she nearly sexually assaulted her at the slumber party would have gotten her slapped with a big ol' restraining order. Penny has never acted like she is better than them, and Bernadette has the holier than thou attitude. A self-absorbed person would not have been 1/10 as patient and accepting with Sheldon/Amy as Penny has. She teases them for liking video games, so what? She also watches the things they like constantly, as evidenced in Proton, though I'm sure the gesture is not reciprocated. Sheldon insults all of them and sees them as nothing more than his servants, but I'm sure that doesn't bother you in the least. 

But it seems you and stardust are working overtime to blame Penny for Sheldon's shortcomings, perhaps because Leonard and Penny showed themselves stable and mature while Shamy showed themselves to be woefully childish, inconsiderate, and violent (the last two describe Amy). Thus, you blame Penny for Sheldon's negative qualities, though they have always been at the core of his character. 

Please tell me where I blamed Penny for anything that Sheldon has done. I actually said the fact I do not care for her has nothing to do with Shamy's relationship. I certainly never said anything about Sheldon.

The funny thing to me is that you all lose it when someone doesn't like Penny. I mean, the fact that I do not care for her really irks all of you to the core. 

Edited by denajeanx

Haven't seen this ep yet, but have read the synopsis. Wow it does sound sad, poor Amy (and Stuart re:comic book store fire) I'm very intrigued how the writers will handle Sheldon's character going into the next season. For me, I can't see him changing that much. Was there any clue where he went to? Have a nice weekend everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please tell me where I blamed Penny for anything that Sheldon has done. I actually said the fact I do not care for her has nothing to do with Shamy's relationship. I certainly never said anything about Sheldon.

The funny thing to me is that you all lose it when someone doesn't like Penny. I mean, the fact that I do not care for her really irks all of you to the core.

Interesting though you didn't answer vasu. Your description of Penny the last two seasons describes Sheldon and you seem to like him. Seems to be an inconsistency there. I like the Shamy fans though who always like a fellow Shamy comment no matter what the comment it is.

Penny usually uses sarcasm to deflect Amy and Bernadette from asking her questions she'd rather not answer. It's not about Penny being better than either of them, in fact they all support each other like the guys do.

Amy wise ? I tend to think she's experiencing teenage angst, she would have gone through had she not been mollycoddled by her mother so much. Which has lead Amy into doing things she will likely regret once she

comprehends things at a human level and not from her academic scientist level. Sure Penny has her flaws, but she's been working on those over the last few seasons. Her most mature decisions have been - quitting the cheese cake factory in order to chase her acting dream and finally realizing Leonard is what makes her happy, a huge turn around from her "Letting him make me happy" line from season 6. She's gone from that to asking Leonard to

marry her for the right reasons. Not as a rash decision, which she's made plenty of in the past.

If anything Penny has teased out the best bits out of Sheldon over the course of the show. Sheldon is a quite complex character, bought to life by Jim. Trying to pin the blame onto

Penny or another character for Sheldon's flaws does a disservice to the brilliant job Jim has been doing alongside the rest of the cast in bringing the scripts and characters to life.

Sheldon is basically still a boy who does not want to deal with the adult world and grow up, but with the help of Leonard and Penny he's starting slowly but surely to face up to

the reality of his life. Which in the end will help Sheldon progress his friendships with the gang and his relationship with Amy. There will be more bellyaching from Sheldon to come, but the

writers have set him on a path which at the end of it should reveal a new and improved Sheldon Cooper, all be it still prone to fits of Egotism. You have to put aside what you desire for the characters/couples and

look at how the writers are actually writing the characters and how the actors are translating that onto screen.

• Like 2

Interesting though you didn't answer vasu. Your description of Penny the last two seasons describes Sheldon and you seem to like him. Seems to be an inconsistency there. I like the Shamy fans though who always like a fellow Shamy comment no matter what the comment it is.

I think comparing Sheldon and Penny is apples to oranges. Yes, Sheldon is annoying. Does he annoy me? A lot of times, yes.

You are comparing someone who struggles with social interactions and understanding everyday life to someone who is a 'social butterfly'. Not exactly a fair comparison.

I do love that you care so much about what I think though.

• Like 2

Stardust has, and you have agreed with her. You two are making bullshit accusations against her character, so yes, that bothers me. You call her self-absorbed which she has been patient and caring in dealing with Sheldon and Amy (two narcissistic characters you adore). Sheldon doesn't struggle with social interactions BTW, if we've learned anything it's that is proud and aware of the fact that he is an ass. 

Funny you had nothing to say regarding the actual content of any of our posts. And no, using a GIF in a failed attempt to look clever as you have in the past is not a real reply. 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 2

Stardust has, and you have agreed with her. You two are making bullshit accusations against her character, so yes, that bothers me. You call her self-absorbed which she has been patient and caring in dealing with Sheldon and Amy (two narcissistic characters you adore). Sheldon doesn't struggle with social interactions BTW, if we've learned anything it's that is proud and aware of the fact that he is an ass. 

Funny you had nothing to say regarding the actual content of any of our posts. And no, using a GIF in a failed attempt to look clever as you have in the past is not a real reply. 

Your posts have no merit to me and often do not carry any real insight; instead just lump all the Shamy fans and their thoughts together. I don't care for Penny, that's the bottom line.

There are plenty of people who don't care for Sheldon or Amy, but it doesn't bother me. Sure, I'll defend Amy occasionally. But, you can't force people to like things that you like.

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 1

I think Penny has been caring and patient with Sheldon, of course, and in general I like Penny, but her treatment in this episode of Amy kind of shocked me, and not in a good way. I know it was for comedic affect, but her "get out" was pretty brutal. If my friend's boyfriend was MIA and I knew he was freaking out, I would show much more concern for my friend than Penny did. But she only seemed to care about the fact she was recently engaged. And I didn't like that she was merely looking at her nails or whatever in the tag. She knew Amy was in pain. How can she be so apathetic? Isn't this supposed to be her best friend?

I think Penny can be pretty cruel to Amy at times, but whatever. I can deal with it.

• Like 3

Look on the bright side though, Sheldon did not plan on saying good bye to Leonard and Penny. They just showed up. It's not like Sheldon said he was leaving and then invited Leonard and Penny to send him off but not his girlfriend.

That being said, I still so so so so badly wanted Amy to be there! I was waiting till the end to see if she would burst out of the shadows. My beef is with Leonard and Penny not with Sheldon. Just my opinion.

You are correct, Sheldon didn't say goodbye to anybody. If Amy is supposed to be important to him he should at least told her. What's your beef with Leonard and Penny?

• Like 1

I think Penny has been caring and patient with Sheldon, of course, and in general I like Penny, but her treatment in this episode of Amy kind of shocked me, and not in a good way. I know it was for comedic affect, but her "get out" was pretty brutal. If my friend's boyfriend was MIA and I knew he was freaking out, I would show much more concern for my friend than Penny did. But she only seemed to care about the fact she was recently engaged. And I didn't like that she was merely looking at her nails or whatever in the tag. She knew Amy was in pain. How can she be so apathetic? Isn't this supposed to be her best friend?

I think Penny can be pretty cruel to Amy at times, but whatever. I can deal with it.

Ugh, thank you. Haha.

Those are the kinds of things I am talking about. And it's happened in many episodes.

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 2

Once they tracked him down to the station, they should of got Amy there or at least told her instead of telling her later

Absolutely not. You are wrong, and let me tell you why: Because they didn't go to the station with the purpose of telling him goodbye, they went to the station with the purpose to get him back to the apartment, so should they have or shoouldn't they have told Amy is irrelevant. As far as they knew, before they left the apartment, they were bringing him back.

• Like 7

Like Dena said, you really can't compare Penny to Sheldon. Penny is supposed to be socially-savvy and Sheldon is supposed to be socially-inept. No one can argue that because it's basically the whole premise to the show. They are total opposites. The difference is that Sheldon has seemed to have made progress (albeit really slow progress) over the span of the show while Penny has seemed to regress. But it's not anything I can't deal with. Penny is by far the least likeable character to me, but I still like her. Idk. My opinion changes every episode. But she has said some things that have made me wince.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 2

Penny telling Amy to get out was caused by Amy somehow not understanding Leonard's "suggestions" to leave. It seems at times, like Sheldon, she needs to be told things bluntly. Amy wasn't mad then. In the tag Amy did talk to Sheldon. If she was in such "pain" she should of told him on the phone. All Sheldon did was get on a train. MIA it wasn't. I said this earlier Sheldon needed to go and Amy IMO should have known that.
  • Like 2

Sheldon feeling everyone should act as his servants.... has nothing to do with him being socially inept or not...

he feels he is superior to everyone else and the others should be lucky to serve him..... that's it

• Like 1

Sheldon wasn't MIA at that point, he was just in the midst of a tantrum, which is not atypical behavior nor cause for concern. Penny has not been cruel to Amy, and she wasn't last night. She coddles her if anything. 

• Like 2