The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.24 'the Status Quo Combustion' (May 15)

Your Episode Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Penny telling Amy to get out was caused by Amy somehow not understanding Leonard's "suggestions" to leave. It seems at times, like Sheldon, she needs to be told things bluntly. Amy wasn't mad then. In the tag Amy did talk to Sheldon. If she was in such "pain" she should of told him on the phone. All Sheldon did was get on a train. MIA it wasn't. I said this earlier Sheldon needed to go and Amy IMO should have known that.

But during the scene where they were having dinner, nobody knew where Sheldon was at, so he was in fact MIA. Amy wasn't mad or seemingly worried, but this is about Penny and her reaction to the situation. I think in that moment if she cared, she would have shown a bit more concern than telling Amy to "get out." Just seems a little insensitive to me. It's forgiveable, but to say Penny is always caring and patient with Amy and Sheldon is inaccurate. I think some people view Sheldon through rose-colored glasses, but some people do the same with Penny.

• Like 2

I think Penny has been caring and patient with Sheldon, of course, and in general I like Penny, but her treatment in this episode of Amy kind of shocked me, and not in a good way. I know it was for comedic affect, but her "get out" was pretty brutal. If my friend's boyfriend was MIA and I knew he was freaking out, I would show much more concern for my friend than Penny did. But she only seemed to care about the fact she was recently engaged. And I didn't like that she was merely looking at her nails or whatever in the tag. She knew Amy was in pain. How can she be so apathetic? Isn't this supposed to be her best friend?

I think Penny can be pretty cruel to Amy at times, but whatever. I can deal with it.

I didn't like Penny's 'get out' either, especially with Penny knowing how insecure Amy is about friendships and being accepted - it wasn't like Amy was intruding on a romantic moment, Lenny were just having dinner, and what I want to know is since when do either Leonard or Penny cook? - all I have ever  seen them eat is take out.

• Like 3

I really do not get the whole Penny negativity thing.

I don't think Penny is at all unlikeable.  All of the characters are exaggerated at times to push the story along--whether it's Sheldon making some crazy declaration or insisting on something the others don't want, or Penny disdaining the nerdy stuff (which the other girls do probably more), or Howard's constant ragging on him mom or Raj and his crazy attitudes toward women, or Leonard sometimes being pathetic and "losing".

But at their cores, all of these characters are good people.  They aggravate each other at times, but they all love each other.  Sometimes it's a tough love, sometimes it's tender and caring.

But if they sometimes get sick of each other, or get frustrated or have to point out where another is being annoying, that's just part of group dynamics, even family life.

When Leonard and Penny had just gotten together and Sheldon and Raj had started working together, in Pirate Solution, Howard had to be told that he was intruding because he didn't get that he was being inappropriate.  Of course, in the end they felt bad for him and let him hang out, but really, he was in the wrong and they were within their rights to ask him to leave.  Were either of them being cruel or selfish?

They all have times when they have to be frank with each other and put a stop to some kind of unwarranted or unwanted behavior, so I don't see Penny asking Amy to leave as being mean or cruel.  Amy asked if they'd seen Sheldon, they assured her that he probably just wanted some alone time--which was true, by the way--and then, because she had nothing else to do, since it wasn't urgent to hunt Sheldon down at that point, she just invited herself to their obviously private dinner.

Should Leonard have served her dinner and invited her in on their private conversation?  Should they have done that for Sheldon if it had been him butting in?  Or any of the others?

Amy clearly was not distraught or heartbroken when she sat down with them.  She simply asked, "Whatcha doin?" and as I recall, even had a smile on her face.

And it's not as if Leonard and Penny didn't drop several hints (like they had to do with Howard before he realized that he was intruding).

Wasn't Amy in the wrong for inviting herself to their dinner?

• Like 8

I liked the final, but like Sheldon, I'm worried a bit about the changes. I really hope the dynamic doesn't change too much with the new living arrangements. Two stand out moments for me have to be Sheldon's marijuana line and Amy unloading on Leonard with a pillow. The latter was unexpected and really made me laugh.

Couple of things.  I don't understand that just because Penny is the "social butterfly", she should autopmatically to be nicer in social situations.  That to me doesn't make sense.  Just because Penny is more outgoing doesn't mean that she is proficient in every social situation.  

Secondly, Penny and Leonard just got engaged and that is a huge thing for a couple.  But somehow they are horrible people because they want to bask in the moment for a bit and not have to deal with Sheldon and by extension Amy?  I don't understand it.

It seems to me that now all of a sudden Penny and Leonard have acquired another child - Amy.  Yes I know Amy is almost as awkward about things as Sheldon but I really don't think it's ALWAYS Penny's (or Leonard) responsibility best friend or no best friend....

Edited by Kasey
  • Like 4

You are correct, Sheldon didn't say goodbye to anybody. If Amy is supposed to be important to him he should at least told her. What's your beef with Leonard and Penny?

My beef is very small with them. I just wish they would have told Amy they were going to the train station. I also wanted Penny to say something to Sheldon along the lines of what about Amy.

I'm really not mad at any of them because I know in the long run only good things can come out of this. It may be a bumpy ride right now, but it will all straighten out.

But during the scene where they were having dinner, nobody knew where Sheldon was at, so he was in fact MIA. Amy wasn't mad or seemingly worried, but this is about Penny and her reaction to the situation. I think in that moment if she cared, she would have shown a bit more concern than telling Amy to "get out." Just seems a little insensitive to me. It's forgiveable, but to say Penny is always caring and patient with Amy and Sheldon is inaccurate. I think some people view Sheldon through rose-colored glasses, but some people do the same with Penny.

But Sheldon isn't a three year old and Amy wasn't getting Leonard's hints to leave. Should they have called 911 since he was gone? I don't see how people can criticize Penny's reaction since Amy wasn't mad or worried. I haven't heard anyone criticizing  Amy for not being concerned  at that point.

• Like 5

What a complete load of utter bullshit.

Martin, unfortunately I cannot quote Stardust's post but my opinion about it is exactly the same as yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

She told her to get out after Amy ignored close to a dozen gentle cues between her and Leonard. Her tone was firm but quite gentle, and after multiple hints it was time to be direct. She is still endlessly patient with both her and Sheldon, quite motherly in fact. 

it wasn't like Amy was intruding on a romantic moment

Yes it was. Unless home-cooked food, red wine, and an apartment with only the two of them don't indicate a date to her. She was in the wrong for intruding.

Poor Lenny, now they have two babies instead of one. And they're not even cute or cuddly! 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 2

She told her to get out after Amy ignored close to a dozen gentle cues between her and Leonard. Her tone was firm but quite gentle, and after multiple hints it was time to be direct. She is still endlessly patient with both her and Sheldon, quite motherly in fact. 

Yes it was. Unless home-cooked food, red wine, and an apartment with only the two of them don't indicate a date to her. She was in the wrong for intruding.

Poor Lenny, now they have two babies instead of one. And they're not even cute or cuddly! 

Didn't someone post the size of the wine glasses on here?

The loss of the comic book store does seem like a symbolic metaphor in a way - but I hope it doesn't mean a fundamental shift in the nature of the show - from the geekiness of four guys who enjoy comic books, sci-fi and other geeky stuff, who are awkwardly learning about relationships  for the first time - to a couples show where Lenny, Shamy, Howardette and Raj and Emily are off in their own corners wondering what they are are going to have for dinner, that would change the nature of the show from what drew me to it in the first place and make it to much like Friends, which would be a tragedy - growing up is over rated :)

Growing up is necessary unless we want our species to die out.

Well, aside from all of the Penny drama. I think Jim and Mayim's acting was just amazing in this episode, even more so than usual. They both made this episode a lot less painful.

• Like 3

Well, aside from all of the Penny drama. I think Jim and Mayim's acting was just amazing in this episode, even more so than usual. They both made this episode a lot less painful.

Well, aside from all of the Sheldon drama. I thought the other 6 carried Jim and Mayim last night.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 3

I agree with Daisyjane. Amy was given several subtle hints that they wanted to be alone. Lenny was celebratinng their enngagemennt

and starting discuss their life togather. Amy is usually better at picking up on these things better than

Sheldon.

As for Sheldon running off, Leonard knows that Sheldon does that when he is upset. Leonard became

concerned because Sheldon was gone longer than normal.

• Like 3

Growing up is necessary unless we want our species to die out.

Ha, I remember Leonard saying pretty much that same thing, something along he lines that if all guys were like him the human race wouldn't survive - yes growing up is necessary but I don't want the characters to loose who they were - Penny and Leonard already making candle light dinners for each other makes me nervous, I'd rather see them playing a video game together - it's The Big Bang Theory, not Desperate Housewives :)

Edited by luke

But Sheldon isn't a three year old and Amy wasn't getting Leonard's hints to leave. Should they have called 911 since he was gone? I don't see how people can criticize Penny's reaction since Amy wasn't mad or worried. I haven't heard anyone criticizing  Amy for not being concerned  at that point.

Because Sheldon isn't 3 years old his friends shouldn't be concerned about him? But the argument is moot because obviously Lenny were concerned about him later after he didn't show up. My point is that I didn't like what Penny said to Amy. We can argue about the way she said it or if she was justified, but I think what she said was harsh under any circumstance. It just didn't sit well with me, similar to the way Penny acted during the tag scene. I know it was all for comedy, but it still bothered me.

I disagree that Penny coddles Amy. At the very most, she tolerates her. But all the characters can be mean to each other from time to time. Maybe it's just something about Penny that bothers me more when she does it. Idk. But hey? It's just an opinion. No one is gonna agree on everything.

And I still don't get the tendency to compare the two couples.

They were stunning. If anyone wonders why Jim and Mayim get Emmy nods, they should watch this episode.

• Like 4

Well, aside from all of the Sheldon drama. I thought the other 6 carried Jim and Mayim last night.

Tell that to Jim's Emmys :)

• Like 5

Tell that to Jim's Emmys :)

An award show most people don't watch.(I'm sure Tensor could verify that)

oh, that's crap.

• Like 1

Ha, I remember Leonard saying pretty much that same thing, something along he lines that if all guys were like him the human race wouldn't survive - yes growing up is necessary but I don't want the characters to loose who they were - Penny and Leonard already making candle light dinners for each other makes me nervous, I'd rather see them playing a video game together - it's The Big Bang Theory, not Desperate Housewives :)

Gag. Desperate Housewives. cough-cough

I am with you there.

Still I think we can loose the comic book store and still retain the flavor of TBBT. The guys still work for Caltech which is a lot more interesting to me than the comic book store anyway (I work in a physics department and I don't hear anyone ever talking about comic books but they still do fun geeky stuff https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=435169983160453 ).

Because Sheldon isn't 3 years old his friends shouldn't be concerned about him? But the argument is moot because obviously Lenny were concerned about him later after he didn't show up. My point is that I didn't like what Penny said to Amy. We can argue about the way she said it or if she was justified, but I think what she said was harsh under any circumstance. It just didn't sit well with me, similar to the way Penny acted during the tag scene. I know it was all for comedy, but it still bothered me.

I disagree that Penny coddles Amy. At the very most, she tolerates her. But all the characters can be mean to each other from time to time. Maybe it's just something about Penny that bothers me more when she does it. Idk. But hey? It's just an opinion. No one is gonna agree on everything.

And I still don't get the tendency to compare the two couples.

They were stunning. If anyone wonders why Jim and Mayim get Emmy nods, they should watch this episode.

His friends were concerned about him--at the appropriate time.  It's not as if Sheldon doesn't spend time alone more now--like when he rode the bus and fell asleep and ended up in Little Sri Lanka.  He came home late and while Leonard was wondering where he'd been, he hadn't felt the need to call out the cavalry just because he was out late.

Similarly, Leonard reacted when he realized it had gotten pretty late and he hadn't surfaced.

But in the dinner scene, it was very obviously a romantic dinner.  They were sitting alone at the bar, not in the usual group area in teh living room.  There was food just for the two of them.

And Amy only sat down to join them once she was assured that she didn't need to be overly concerned about SHeldon at that moment.  And she easily realized, once Penny finally pointed it out to her, that she was intruding.

Amy isn't a fragile flower.

An award show most people don't watch.(I'm sure Tensor could verify that)

It doesn't matter how many people watch the Emmys, really, since it's not as if they Emmys are awarded based on the ratings of the awards show.

Emmy's are still important in the business, which is why Jim is often referred to as a "3-time Emmy Winner" and why that Emmy credit goes on his billing.

For The Normal Heart, the promo clips list those awards--I think Mark Ruffalo is an Oscar nominee, and Julia Roberts is listed as an Oscar winner and Jim as an Emmy winner.

He doesn't need to be carried by anyone.

• Like 4

oh, that's crap.

I think you're missing the sarcasm. Someone claimed that the efforts of Jim and Mayim carried the show (which could be seen as denigrating the work of the other actors), so Chrismo turned it around. At least, that's what I'm getting.

• Like 3

oh, that's crap.

I said that because someone wanted to change the topic. LOL

I think you're missing the sarcasm. Someone claimed that the efforts of Jim and Mayim carried the show (which could be seen as denigrating the work of the other actors), so Chrismo turned it around. At least, that's what I'm getting.

I needed  Disgusted sarcasm sign.

I didn't like Penny's 'get out' either, especially with Penny knowing how insecure Amy is about friendships and being accepted - it wasn't like Amy was intruding on a romantic moment, Lenny were just having dinner, and what I want to know is since when do either Leonard or Penny cook? - all I have ever  seen them eat is take out.

Actually, Amy was  intruding on a romantic moment. It was analogous to Howard in season 3 episode 4 when L/P wanted to be alone and he wouldn't leave.

I said that because someone wanted to change the topic. LOL

I needed  Disgusted sarcasm sign.

Subtle sarcasm is the best kind. :)

Actually, Amy was  intruding on a romantic moment. It was analogous to Howard in season 3 episode 4 when L/P wanted to be alone and he wouldn't leave.

Yes, indeed, the difference being that Howard finally got the hint after being told several times. Amy didn't, thus requiring bluntness on Penny's part (and Amy's reaction shows that she wasn't insulted, in that way that Mayim can pull off so well).

• Like 2