The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

7.24 'the Status Quo Combustion' (May 15)

Your Episode Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I hear what you're saying, phanta. I'm well aware of the circumstances and that Amy had sat down after acknowledging that there probably wasn't anything to worry about with Sheldon. My problem is the insinuation that Penny is nothing but caring for Amy when I just don't feel like that's the case. I think the idea that both Sheldon and Amy are imbeciles while Penny and Leonard are nothing but mature and loving individuals is lunacy. Every single character has faults. Some people's faults bother me more than others. Over the course of the past 3 seasons, I've felt Penny has been pretty harsh with Amy at times when Amy wants nothing more than acceptance from her and admires her completely. Maybe the problem I have with this particular episode is that Penny showed Sheldon a lot of sympathy and seemed to show zero for Amy.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 2

It is not the romace in TBBT that puts me off. Some of the ship talk (ship feud) in the forum seems a little too silly.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

I think you're missing the sarcasm. Someone claimed that the efforts of Jim and Mayim carried the show (which could be seen as denigrating the work of the other actors), so Chrismo turned it around. At least, that's what I'm getting.

No one said they carried the show last night, if you interpreted like that, not my problem. You all really love to put words in everyone's mouths, it amazes me. Lol

But, as far as Shamy goes, Jim and Mayim made the entire situation a lot less painful; that was the point I was making.

• Like 2

Personally I feel Howard, Bernadette, and Stuart stole the show.

So.

:)

Stuart with Howard's mom... I was dying. :laugh:

Edited by denajeanx
  • Like 3

But, as far as Shamy goes, Jim and Mayim made the entire situation a lot less painful; that was the point I was making.

I'm missing what was painful. No one died. No one broke up. Sheldon got on a train. If the episode last night was painful you must have had a painless life.

• Like 2

I'm missing what was painful. No one died. No one broke up. Sheldon got on a train. If the episode last night was painful you must have had a painless life.

I wouldn't make remarks about people that you don't know. And this doesn't have to get personal I don't think.

• Like 4

It's rare that I ever become pained by a movie or an episode of a TV show; it would have to be exceedingly, atrociously bad in order for that to happen. Usually, I just shrug it off and continue with my day. Perspective is a wonderful thing. :)

Edited by Martin Pollard
  • Like 1

I don't really want to get in on this but that is completely uncalled for. Incredibly heartless and rude thing to say. 

Just because somebody reacted to a show differently from you... for God's sake go do something else for awhile. 

• Like 4

I wouldn't make remarks about people that you don't know. And this doesn't have to get personal I don't think.

My point was how was the episode last night painful? I wasn't trying to get personal but I didn't bring up the painful part.

I don't really want to get in on this but that is completely uncalled for. Incredibly heartless and rude thing to say. 

Just because somebody reacted to a show differently from you... for God's sake go do something else for awhile. 

Maybe you should follow your own advice.

My point was how was the episode last night painful? I wasn't trying to get personal but I didn't bring up the painful part.

I shouldn't have to explain, but it's because we've been following these characters for seven years (four years for Amy) and we're emotionally invested in their well-being, and when they're distressed, we feel distressed. Regardless, it's a very uncalled for thing to do to judge someone for their reactions to a particular episode. Everyone is different. We're obviously hardcore fans or we wouldn't be here arguing, lol.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 5

Personally I feel Howard, Bernadette, and Stuart stole the show.

So.

:)

Stuart was one of my favourite parts of the episode.

• Like 4

I shouldn't have to explain, but it's because we've been following these characters for seven years (four years for Amy) and we're emotionally invested in their well-being, and when they're distressed, we feel distressed. Regardless, it's a very uncalled for thing to do to judge someone for their reactions to a particular episode. Everyone is different. We're obviously hardcore fans or we wouldn't be here arguing, lol.

If you feel bad I get it . If you are sad I get it. If you are upset I get it. I'm sorry painful I didn't get.

• Like 1

I thought one of the funniest lines was Leonard's reply to Sheldon stating that Leonard was putting Penny's happiness before Sheldon's and Leonard replied:  "Well, yeah"...

Notice this is me trying to steer the conversation down a different path...

Edited by Kasey
  • Like 7

It was actually a pretty funny episode. I thought it was everything a finale should have been. I didn't give a proper review because I don't think I'm really good at them, but I rated this episode "excellent." I laughed out loud at Bernie's "I want a divorce" and when Sheldon asked if Leonard had taken a marijuana. I loved Shelnard in the train station scene, and I like that Penny talked Leonard into letting him go and her line about how they can't take care of him forever. I think this marks the beginning of Sheldon growing up and learning to face the things that ail him. I also thought the Strawberry Quik analogy was definitely put there for a reason. I'm excited for S8.

Oh, and Stuart was great. It was refreshing to see him happy for a change at the end of the episode. :)

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 7

What I noticed was how well Leonard and Sheldon were talking.  It was very - I want to say adultish but that's not quite the word.  

And yes hooray for Stuart having a bit of happiness.  About freakin' time...

• Like 3

I hear what you're saying, phanta. I'm well aware of the circumstances and that Amy had sat down after acknowledging that there probably wasn't anything to worry about with Sheldon. My problem is the insinuation that Penny is nothing but caring for Amy when I just don't feel like that's the case. I think the idea that both Sheldon and Amy are imbeciles while Penny and Leonard are nothing but mature and loving individuals is lunacy. Every single character has faults. Some people's faults bother me more than others. Over the course of the past 3 seasons, I've felt Penny has been pretty harsh with Amy at times when Amy wants nothing more than acceptance from her and admires her completely. Maybe the problem I have with this particular episode is that Penny showed Sheldon a lot of sympathy and seemed to show zero for Amy.

I don't think the show is implying that anyone is an imbecile or that L/P are more mature than anyone.  I think there has pretty much been an even handedness is pointing out each characters flaws and strengths as the situations arise.

Penny can be stupid and clueless--she didn't realize she'd been part of a bully crowd when she was young until Amy and Bernie pointed it out.  And then she still couldn't quite make it past the impatience, etc.

And I think she does way more than just tolerate Amy, but Amy has gotten away with all kinds of crap, like when she was comandeering Bernie's wedding for her own fantasies and basically insulting Bernie at every turn in comparing her to Penny's beauty and all of that.  Penny might have given her a look or two, but no one yelled at her for her blunt rudeness.

I just don't feel there was a moment where Amy needed some big show of sympathy from anyone, except maaaaybe at the very end, but she was whacking Leonard with a pillow--and that was the punchline, not a moment for Penny to jump up and suddenly hug Amy and weep for her or whatever.

I think people are just overreacting to things that don't really warrant such reaction.

If Amy wasn't smashed into pieces, then why are other people feeling shattered?

• Like 6

I think people are just overreacting to things that don't really warrant such reaction.

Exactly. I wouldn't want to bon here if the Shamy actually broke up for more than half an episode.

• Like 1

It was actually a pretty funny episode. I thought it was everything a finale should have been. I didn't give a proper review because I don't think I'm really good at them, but I rated this episode "excellent." I laughed out loud at Bernie's "I want a divorce" and when Sheldon asked if Leonard had taken a marijuana. I loved Shelnard in the train station scene, and I like that Penny talked Leonard into letting him go and her line about how they can't take care of him forever. I think this marks the beginning of Sheldon growing up and learning to face the things that ail him. I also thought the Strawberry Quik analogy was definitely put there for a reason. I'm excited for S8.

Oh, and Stuart was great. It was refreshing to see him happy for a change at the end of the episode. :)

I think the funniest parts of the episode were the scenes with Howadette and Stuart. I laughed out loud at the 1st tag; Stuart was incredibly funny. I knew he would hit it off with his mom.

But yes, seeing Sheldon and Amy being upset (especially watching Sheldon's life fall apart) is painful to watch. I don't necessarily think I have to justify that. FYI, being sad and 'feeling bad' are forms of feeling emotional pain. You can attack anything I say, but don't assume that you know a thing about my life because you're dead wrong; not to mention arrogant to assume something like that.

Anyways, I have hope for Shamy going into S8, specifically because of the way Jim played Sheldon scenes. The Shamy scene could have been played out as he was angry but I didn't get that from him, I saw sheer panic. Same with the comic book store.

• Like 4

I don't think the show is implying that anyone is an imbecile or that L/P are more mature than anyone.  I think there has pretty much been an even handedness is pointing out each characters flaws and strengths as the situations arise.

Penny can be stupid and clueless--she didn't realize she'd been part of a bully crowd when she was young until Amy and Bernie pointed it out.  And then she still couldn't quite make it past the impatience, etc.

And I think she does way more than just tolerate Amy, but Amy has gotten away with all kinds of crap, like when she was comandeering Bernie's wedding for her own fantasies and basically insulting Bernie at every turn in comparing her to Penny's beauty and all of that.  Penny might have given her a look or two, but no one yelled at her for her blunt rudeness.

I just don't feel there was a moment where Amy needed some big show of sympathy from anyone, except maaaaybe at the very end, but she was whacking Leonard with a pillow--and that was the punchline, not a moment for Penny to jump up and suddenly hug Amy and weep for her or whatever.

I didn't say the show was implying it. And I don't think I'm overreacting nor am I shattered to pieces. If you've read some of my reaction posts to the episode, you'll know I'm very pleased with it. But I know you are not singling me out or even necessarily directing that comment to me. The point I was clumsily trying to make - and maybe I wasn't as eloquent or clear as I wanted to be - was that I don't think Penny is always caring to Amy. I know that she's been very caring with her at times, but to say she always is is enough to provoke me to make a post where I normally hate getting into arguments with people. Someone said that Penny kindly asked Amy to stop intruding on their date, and I had to express my disagreement with that statement. But like I said, I do like Penny. She's my least favorite character, but I still like her. Amy has clearly said and done some inappropriate things, but I don't think those were done maliciously at all, more out of ignorance. However, for example, during the S6 Christmas episode, I felt Penny's reactions to the things Amy were saying about being lonely were pretty mean, and it's things like that that can color my opinion in the future with episodes like this one.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 2

Of course, if Sheldon or Amy do sonething horrid they plead lack of awareness (despite the two being middle-aged and highly educated) but anyone else and they're malicious. Typical.

• Like 2

....................... (despite the two being middle-aged and highly educated) 

aren't their characters mid-thirties ? ... is that really considered middle age

Of course, if Sheldon or Amy do sonething horrid they plead lack of awareness (despite the two being middle-aged and highly educated) but anyone else and they're malicious. Typical.

I think you're putting words in people's mouths again. I never said anyone was malicious. And usually when Sheldon or Amy says or does something I feel crosses the line, I say it. I don't view them through rose-colored glasses. I view them exactly as they are, how the writers describe them and how the actors play them - as two emotionally stunted, socially-inept geniuses who grew up without friends and constantly bullied, who say inappropriate things and can both be pretty abrasive to their friends and to each other, but are genuinely good people. If you really detest them for whatever reason, then whatever. It's your problem. But to imply that I see zero fault with Sheldon or Amy while I see ample fault in others is just plain wrong. From my vantage point, it appears that you are doing exactly what you are accusing me of with Penny.

Sheldonswife, they are early thirties. Sheldon is 34 and Amy is believed to be a few years younger.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 5

I hope season 8 shows a Sheldon who is more adaptable to change, an Amy who has reverted a little ( season 5-6) and definitely more geeky science stuff that made it popular to begin with. I love the Shamy/ like the Lenny, Howardette, Rajly and even Stuart- Debbie. We must remember that this is a comedy, it WILL have a happy ending. :)   Of course, I love reading everything and everyone's opinion on this site and will continue reading all fan fiction just for the fun of it.        

(P.S. mid or even late 30's is NOT considered middle-aged. don't make me older before my time)

• Like 4